• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2014 Edition

Oxn

Seems like it's a bit overkill for a non-dedicated space. That looks like the main room on the entry floor? Ultimately it's your house, your call, but if it was a basement-type area that was set up like a dedicated movies/games/man cave area, ok.

Agreed I wouldnt either. Looks kinda tacky

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I hope you don't think me rude by asking but what the hell do you do for a living? That place is beautiful and it sounds like you're moving to another beautiful place.

No worries. I'm a senior project manager in security and I teach aerospace engineering part time. Thanks mate, I take time to think my spaces thoroughly.

Seems like it's a bit overkill for a non-dedicated space. That looks like the main room on the entry floor? Ultimately it's your house, your call, but if it was a basement-type area that was set up like a dedicated movies/games/man cave area, ok.

Thanks guys. Yeah I guess your right it's kind of tacky and overkill..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was thinking of getting another "unit" to extend that TV stand. Right now it is one double unit and a single unit attached. I am thinking of getting another double unit and attaching it to the existing double unit (getting rid of the single unit). This would make it long enough to be able to hide the cord coming out of the outlet on the left side. I can then plug both surge protectors into that outlet and leave the one on the right of the stand unused. I would also gain an additional drawer of storage and be able to put my Wii U and PS3 on separate shelves.

My only concern is if the TV stand will look strange width the width of the stand being 95" while my TV frame width is 51". What do you guys think of this idea?

It'll look fine. Why not just add a single unit though?

mkenyon

Banned
ldv9k3G.jpg

10341564_10203378656260203_4226665864022028300_n.jpg
That's my Unicorn case. Gorgeous.

TMC

It'll look fine. Why not just add a single unit though?

Adding another single unit would create an additional "break" where you can see where the pieces are connected. Attaching another double and removing the single would not create a second "break" in the stand.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
No worries. I'm a senior project manager in security and I teach aerospace engineering part time. Thanks mate, I take time to think my spaces thoroughly.

There was a picture of you online.
Tony-Stark-tony-stark-12952978-419-600.jpg

Joking aside, I think your place is gorgeous. Very well laid out and designed. Good luck with your future penthouse/house.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
There was a picture of you online.
Tony-Stark-tony-stark-12952978-419-600.jpg

Joking aside, I think your place is gorgeous. Very well laid out and designed. Good luck with your future penthouse/house.

I'm sure I got more metal plating than him ;-)

Thanks, if people are interested, I might post the reconversion process in its own thread. I love construction.

Really wouldn't mind seeing some backs of units to see what sweet wizardry you've done with the wiring, etc. I like the nuts and bolts of things just as much as I do the shiny exterior.

With this unit I'm designing I'm trying to incorporate a switch/repeater-switch and a UPS. I'm currently just working on the basic stuff right now, but soon the design will evolve to incorporating channels for wires and all of that icing-on-top features that will make it truly nice. Wife wants a built-in look, but I'm trying to figure out how best to tackle the job of hiding and getting to the wiring easier.

Just thought I'd share my recent attempt to make my living room a little more presentable. It always bugged me that I had such nice stuff yet I just kind of tossed it all on the TV stand and let it go. So I spent the past two days doing cable management work, as well as getting new lamps, moving some stuff around, and minimizing what I have hooked up and plugged in.

Here's the before shot:

and...

Here's what it looks like now:

and...

Oxn

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

Shadap, it's super functional. Minus not being able to see keys at night.

Which is why I have this thing:

SaZP28l.jpg

^ Very cheap, helps a decent amount. Can use it as a cool backlight behind your monitor if you have it against a wall too.

Sorry for phone pics at night btw

Im using the Corsair K65 myself.

Great KB also, but its was all the colored Keys on yours that drew me to it.

Can you link your light source? I also hate not being able to see in the dark.

Skyzard

Banned
Im using the Corsair K65 myself.

Great KB also, but its was all the colored Keys on yours that drew me to it.

Can you link your light source? I also hate not being able to see in the dark.

I actually got those lights from a pound store... (dollar store kinda thing). I bought like 12+ lol.

usb hubs with switches are stupidly hard to find for some reason. My one isn't the best build quality, but (this one) works. I got it from a seller on amazon, unbranded.

Thanks for the responses. It's nice having someone appreciate the effort. Everyone I know in real life is pretty 'meh' on it. They like the end result but couldn't care less about the process and the amount of time it took me.

I took a few more pics in slightly different light and touched them up a bit so it's a little easier to see. I also added a pic of behind the TV stand.

In case anyone is interested, I used these awesome cable raceways to hide the cables between the shelves and the TV stand

This is my surge protector, which folds up into a black box with a switch on the outside once everything is plugged in. It's a little bit of a pain if you use all eight outlets like I did but it still worked out.

Finally, I used one of these cable management boxes on each side of the surge protector and directly behind my audio receiver to coil up all the excess cables.

Very happy with how it all turned out.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

Shadap, it's super functional. Minus not being able to see keys at night.

Which is why I have this thing:

SaZP28l.jpg

^ Very cheap, helps a decent amount. Can use it as a cool backlight behind your monitor if you have it against a wall too.

Sorry for phone pics at night btw

Never mind the keyboard, I'm more interested in what's in the background. Stuff doesn't look like your typocal cheap kitsch porselain.

desu

Thanks for the responses. It's nice having someone appreciate the effort. Everyone I know in real life is pretty 'meh' on it. They like the end result but couldn't care less about the process and the amount of time it took me.

That's how it usually goes. People look weird at you when you tell them how much time it took you to get it to look that clean. Anyway it's just another of these "nerd" things. And it looks/feels so good from going from a total messy setup to that clean look (I would never want to go back).

I saw, you also removed the front cover of your center now :D.

That's how it usually goes. People look weird at you when you tell them how much time it took you to get it to look that clean. Anyway it's just another of these "nerd" things. And it looks/feels so good from going from a total messy setup to that clean look (I would never want to go back).

I saw, you also removed the front cover of your center now :D.

Yeah, it does look better but I'm not really sure what to do with the covers to keep them from getting cracked or broken. They're fragile things to store.

desu

Yeah, it does look better but I'm not really sure what to do with the covers to keep them from getting cracked or broken. They're fragile things to store.

I guess you don't have the storage space, but I just put my covers into the boxes of my speakers in case I want to sell them at one point.

Small Update [Xbox One], and better quality pics, Next update, I'm looking into a new Receiver/Amp, If anyone have any kind advice about that, it would be welcomed :)

TV is a Sony KDL40R470A (I believe it's EU only), Receiver Sony STRKG700, PS4, Xbox One, PSVita.

What sideboard is that?

I guess you don't have the storage space, but I just put my covers into the boxes of my speakers in case I want to sell them at one point.

Yeah, I live in a small-to-medium sized apartment so I don't usually have the luxury of keeping boxes that size any longer than I have to. I'm sure I'll find a way to keep them safe.

Tabris

Interesting stat - My gaming setup image has been viewed 70k times for a total bandwidth of 15GB. I love how much lurking this thread gets, even when it seems quiet sometimes.

Caayn

Interesting stat - My gaming setup image has been viewed 70k times for a total bandwidth of 15GB. I love how much lurking this thread gets, even when it seems quiet sometimes.
Thanks for sharing. Hate that photobucket doesn't share that info and abload only shares totals (which is 120k and 59.97 GB usage since I started using it two months ago).

This thread has a post/view ratio of roughly 1:355. Gaffers room/homes seem to draw some attention.

Faith

I saw your room and LOVED it.
I really want my room to look like yours :)
Care to share where you bought your furniture ?
I don't know where you live but I think you won't find most of the stores. Table is DIY, mirror from IKEA, bed from Möbel Pfister, mattress from JYSK, cupboard from a store of a friend (got a special price there), the brand is Jutzler and you can customize it. TV rack, book rack & book shelves from Wohnpark Binzen.

Well, I'm on my fifth or sixth reading of the thread. I can only read the old ones so many times due to moved images.

I Still haven't gotten my desk presentable enough to share.

Theman2k

I don't know where you live but I think you won't find most of the stores. Table is DIY, mirror from IKEA, bed from Möbel Pfister, mattress from JYSK, cupboard from a store of a friend (got a special price there), the brand is Jutzler and you can customize it. TV rack, book rack & book shelves from Wohnpark Binzen.

Yeah it's a problem...
Though i don't need the bed, mattress and mirror.

I could only find the TV stand here (still it doesn't have your black drawers) :
http://g-h.co.il/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67

Shelves from Ikea:
http://www.ikea.co.il/default.asp?catid={DE3109F4-EC52-4BA2-9C5E-6F02585E958C}&details_type=1&itemid={1D394C7D-FF77-4930-AA59-E8B2AC0D7730}

Rack from Ikea too:
http://www.ikea.co.il/default.asp?catid={A252AE70-105A-45FD-8A2F-1FBDC98C3A1F}&details_type=1&itemid={EEF3132A-A304-4CE8-AB96-B482D9A7D973}

Most disappointing thing is that the table is "do it yourself", i think i should start from the legs from here:
http://www.gur-wood.co.il/the_page.asp?page_lang=he&page_id=108
I really think my table will be cornered though.. I have 2 PC's that i want on top of the table, 2 monitors and an all in one printer.. and room for my wacom tablet.

And i am going to mix a beanie bag next my office chair (colored black and white):
http://milega.buy2.co.il/o/8a44f272-1750-4ae8-b533-1d89a3ed6931

BTW - where did you got the leather cover for the table, the one you put you'r keyboard on ?

Any more tips for me?
Can you please write down the dimensions of you'r furniture? It will help A LOT. :D

Thanks again for everything!

Top Bottom