• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuei Yoshida answers about BC (PS3 not happening), Rime, JRPGs and more

I am sure that I am not alone when I say this but I was hyped about the so called AAA JRPG from SCE Japan.

#BanVerendus :(

Bu-But my mythical Verendus JRPGs!!!

On the other hand, he would not confirm something like this until it was formally revealed. Plus, Verendus does always preface his claims by saying that it was early in development and things change.

I'd like to see what else Japan Studio are working on though - because it can't just be Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian. Am I forgetting anything?

In b4 Knack 2.

Snakeyes

I don't understand though why Sony doesn't want to develop JRPGs. They are seriously missing out on a huge market that is really lacking this gen on all 3 consoles. Just look at the popularity of games like Persona and Final Fantasy XV. When done right they can sell extremely well.

Because third parties are already making JRPGs for them, most of which would overshadow an internal effort from SCE.

Garlador

No new legend of dragoon?

FxDUzwx.gif

Let that stinker stay in the past!

You are the worst. THE worst.

That statement is mad. MADNESS. MADNESS HERO.
b0162d01-68c1-4b4d-acb7-543302de3093.gif

So those Sony JRPG's Verendus has been teasing for 3 years

I'll start you off. JRPG1 and JRPG2, which I've talked about several times, don't need any elaboration. You'll know both soon enough. JRPG3 is in pre-production at the moment, and is something that should appeal to fans. This will be announced in 2016, at the earliest, I would assume. They've only just started picking things up this year. JRPG4 is much further away. This will be a more significant title, but you're not hearing about this anytime soon. This is towards the end of the generation. JRPG5 is similar to a title that you already know about. Also, a late generation title.

That's your Sony exclusive JRPGs which SCEJ/A is going to be involved in some shape or form over the next five years

They ain't even in development.

Dude also talked about Sly 5 happening but Sanzaru later denied the rumor.

On the other hand, he would not confirm something like this until it was formally revealed. Plus, Verendus does always preface his claims by saying that it was early in development and things change.

Yeah it's convenient to say "plans change" afterwards. He's been teasing JRPG1 and JRPG2 for 3 years and said we'll hear about them soon.

TheJRPGamer

Neo Member
Yep but they have been pretty straight on the matter since day one.
We won't get PS3 games on PS4 through an emulator.
At least PS1 and PS2 Classics are coming.

Yeah, but people kept begging about PS3 BC. It's good to see the man come forward and give an outright no.

Withnail

yes but they don't call it a first party game because from software ain't first party so technically shuhei could just be saying studio japan alone isn't working on a jrpg but not a collaboration game

Bloodborne is first party. If it's published by Sony it's a first party game. The ownership of the studio is pretty much irrelevant.

homez99

Ugh, better be able to turn these off.

I suspect we will. Most of the other notifications apart from the 'Discover' ones can be disabled in the PS4's settings. I had to disable the silly notification you get when a friend joins a party. No idea who thought that would be helpful.

Another thing only fans like us differentiate between first party and second party and stuff like that, I think Shu said in a recent PS XOXO I Love You episode that all games developed under the SCEWWS are treated the same.

An example is that 30 to 50 first party games in development question, surely ~15 studios can't have that many games in development?

NateDrake

I came in expecting an article that was an interview with these questions. Instead they are just short answers to comments from Twitter.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Sony’s engineers have been working to enable friend online notifications in the future.

Just fire these engineers. For real, wtf? Cant figure out such a simple task.

Given that english is not my first language, could you tell me if there's any difference between "foreseeable future" and "near future"?

Cause the article said "foreseeable future" and the actual question to Shu was "Can we expect a sony made JRPG in the near future ?"

He said "no" as a straight answer. If that wasn't the case, he surely would have used other words.

Just like how so many other devs say when ask about games .
Plus we all know Sony going to help make another JRPG cause BB2 is going to happen .
But the question was if they making any soon so that is up to what people think soon means to shu .

Jigorath

Banned
So upgraded PS4 not happening. Because duh.

No JRPGs in development at WWS but that doesn't mean they don't have a hand in publishing one like they did with Bloodborne. IIRC Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars were developed by outside devs as well. I guess we'll see.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
On PSN Name changes, Yoshida-san would like to know when the feature will be ready himself. Sony is aware that people are asking for the feature and their engineers are looking into what they can do. There will be an announcement as soon as they’ll know what will be done. As of today, they don’t even know if it can be done, but hopefully it’ll be doable.

I can't say I'm shocked. I ended up just making a new account the other week as I hadn't used my previous primary one in years and had no faith that a name change system was in the works.

They're working in the future, why fire somebody with that ability??

PS1 and PS2 classics, nice to have but not really a necessity for me.

Why nobody ever asks if Colony Wars will come back one day??

Garlador

one of the worst PS era RPGs outside of graphics.

Grrr....
the_journey_begins_today.gif

I got into Legend of the Dragoon WAY late to the party, having heard mixed things at launch, but after playing it last year (and it was VERY flawed), it really endeared itself to me. Great visuals, great music, and I'll even say it had great characters and a great story as well. The twists were genuinely surprising, the combat was dynamic, the world they crafted was lush and creative, the Power Rangers transformations were wickedly cool, and it really felt ambitious... but rough.

The main problems I had with the game was limited inventory space, a really steep difficulty curve, and the combat required your attention so you couldn't snooze and just mash the attack command.

But other than that? ... No, I think Legend of the Dragoon is an underrated classic. You can definitely see it riding FF7's coattails (and it was late to that party as FF7 had been out for years by then), but it does more than enough to stand on its own. I would absolutely love a remake, sequel, or prequel that takes that base and improves upon it.

I Still Believe, anyway...

Oersted

On PSN Name changes, Yoshida-san would like to know when the feature will be ready himself. Sony is aware that people are asking for the feature and their engineers are looking into what they can do.

Can't change PSN name still due to it being complicated. Engineers say that it is problematic. Original system does not work like an "excel spreadsheet". "Not designed that way". "Not impossible". Will keep looking into it.

November 2013

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/12/ps4-sony-on-wii-u-changing-your-psn-name

Dinda

Shu already told us that he doesn't really like JRPGs so that is sadly not suprising.
This (the lack of JRPGs) is the most disappointing thing about Sonys First Party output past PS2.

Hope they have at least one developed from someone else. (Level 5?)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The main problems I had with the game was limited inventory space

That was very necessary. The combat items break that already easy game into tiny little baby pieces.

I agree with the rest of your post, however. The pre-rendered backgrounds are strikingly neat, soundtrack is no Final Fantasy contender but its good, and the transformations and QTEs made battles more interesting.

autoduelist

Login notification development challenges lol...These guys...

It's not simple. You can't just 'turn it on' when some people may have 2000 friends -- the absolute constant barrage of friends notifications would be maddening and that amount of nonsense could easily cause other issues [there's potentially one hell of a lot of communication going on when you have each person telling 2k other people every time they're on off, times all the people online]. So now you also need to add friend 'groups' so that players can manage which groups they get notifications for. But now you also need to add group management and related features/gui - people would want to have friends in multiple groups, etc, etc. And if you're going to do all that work for groups, then maybe it's worth considering implementing some sort of OS level 'clan' system while you're at it?

And on and on. People love to assume everything is 'easy' in the dev world. That's almost never the case. Even a 'simple' change in the store, for example, is a fairly major task given you're touching mission critical software.

Well he's not going to confirm a new jrpg in an interview. Though I couldn't care less about a new jrpg, or BC for that matter. Just give me some folders.

Lacix

Anyone thinking that the PS4 could do PS3 BC clearly doesn't understand just how complex (and crazy powerful) the cell architecture is. No way in hell could they make the PS4's APU emulate that
Why was it possible for the Xbox One?
It is 3 PPU from the Cell basically?

Dragun619

You know for the jrpg answer, shu could be always be acting. Wouldnt be the first time top people had to keep a secret about a project development. And I mean, verendus did say its far off. So maybe its still in the early stages where it could easily be canned if its not going well or maybe it was just scraped all together in favor of just securing a Final Fantasy title or FF7 remake instead. Or of course, it may have not existed at all.

But yea, even then, I dont get why some are dissmissing like sony would ever consider publishing an AAA jrpg title matching FF quality down the line. I could easily see SCEJA producing at least one jrpg on an AAA budget either through Team Japan Studio or a third party developer like level 5, Platinum Games, From Software, or even Capcom, etc.

DJIzana

I don't think it had a release date (or window, for that matter).

It did. The studio has said multiple times, 2015 (through their twitter account). No actual date but a window WAS given.

On another note... kinda sucks Sony has no plans for a JRPG. Least we have many from 3rd party studios.

Walpurgis

Banned
I am sure that I am not alone when I say this but I was hyped about the so called AAA JRPG from SCE Japan.

#BanVerendus :(
I wouldn't be so hasty. He's delivered on a lot of stuff in the past. It's possible that Yoshida is lying or the games were simply cancelled.
How friend notifications wasn't a feature at launch is totally beyond me.
Sony's engineers just couldn't figure it out.
lol
I feel like they've been talking about name change for a long time.
And people have been asking for a long time. It's not happening.

Shu already told us that he doesn't really like JRPGs so that is sadly not suprising.
This (the lack of JRPGs) is the most disappointing thing about Sonys First Party output past PS2.

Hope they have at least one developed from someone else. (Level 5?)

I hope. I'd love to see them pump out some games.

I would sell my soul for a white knight.

Some Nobody

Why is this site banned?

Two years ago they "broke a story" that basically said they knew what was going to be in Sony's E3. It was extremely detailed, from the games themselves to how they looked. Basically, it pissed off enough of the people who decide those sorts of things and they decided if it wasn't true DS would join the rest of the banned websites.

Naturally, E3 came and it was yet another boring-ass conference with pretty much nothing of what they mentioned.

No new legend of dragoon?

FxDUzwx.gif

Let that stinker stay in the past!

I'm not sure I'm okay with this when you're named after one of my least favorite RPGs of all time. There's room for everything, even the stuff you don't like.

Anyway. The J-RPG thing is interesting to me. 'Cause it could be that Verendus is lying, and he just doesn't know stuff. But then he called the existence of Street Fighter V being a Sony exclusive, current-gen Final Fantasy VII, and he even alluded to knowing what platforms Dragon Quest XI was on right before they actually announced it. (The unlikely PS4/DS combo.) You don't get that many things right without knowing something. You just...don't. People claiming he doesn't really know anything because "anyone could've called FF7 on PS4" aren't just lying to you, they're lying to themselves. Nobody believed that would ever happen, and yet...there it was during E3.

So the other option is that Shuhei is lying to us. And I know, I know, your instinct is to say: "why would he lie"? Ultimately? Because he doesn't have to be held accountable. His job isn't to tell you what games are coming out when. If they've got big surprise games in store, why would they tell you about any of them? And more importantly, you're not even going to remember. The thread's already full of examples where developers say "X isn't happening" only for X exactly to happen. They have specific intentions on when they plan on announcing something, and they aren't going to change that because someone asked them about it.

Edit: Most assuredly though, if there is a J-RPG coming...you probably won't see it at PSX. I mean, that'd be crazy right?

androvsky

Why was it possible for the Xbox One?
It is 3 PPU from the Cell basically?

And no SPUs. That's the hard part. Going by the Xbox One example, the PS4 could emulate any PS3 game that didn't use the SPUs at all, which would be mostly 2D PSN games and some third-party games released in the first year or two.

The Xbox 360 also forced developers into using somewhat higher-level graphics libraries which also simplifies the emulation problem for them.

If Sony was able to get really fancy, they could replace the geometry libraries everyone used to make up for the RSX's deficiency there and get maybe a decent compatibility with multi-platform releases.

But the Cell SPUs were vector monsters with special software controlled cache memory, I don't know that a Jaguar core could keep up even if it understood the SPU instructions natively. And there's as many Cell SPUs as there are free Jaguar cores, and you can't split execution across threads so that kills using the GPU (individual cores are much slower, there's just many more of them).

Huge fucking shame about the BC. I say nothing is ever truly off the table. Everything is up for negotiation. If fans push for this, it will happen one way or another.

Also, on mobile so I can't research, but I could have sworn it was mentioned a while back that Sony was developing a full blown, traditional, huge console JRPG. I'm not imagining this bright? Guys?

Corpsepyre

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if we never see a JRPG from their WW studios. Who plays JRPGs these days? It's all about action RPG now.

Top Bottom