• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuei Yoshida answers about BC (PS3 not happening), Rime, JRPGs and more

Did people really expect the PS4 to ever have BC with the PS3? The architectures are completely different.

PSNow is literally the only possible solution.

Alucrid

Banned
Wow Dualshockers smug much? About noticing the obvious? Nothing that's new here at all, PS3 BC was always going to be impossible and the 'we're working on it' has been the stock answer for ages on the PSN stuff.

they're not talking about ps3 bc, it's about the rumor that sony was going to make an upgraded, more powerful ps4

Garlador

I don't expect PS3 BC, but I DO expect PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility.

It's better to just buy a cheap PS3 than use PS NOW though for PS3 games.

they're not talking about ps3 bc, it's about the rumor that sony was going to make an upgraded, more powerful ps4

In the quote they're talking about noticing that using the world's most ubiquitous cpu architecture makes it easier to upgrade the CPU and maintain BC going forward. Which is an observation so banal it's like noting that their use of HDMI rather than VGA ensures compatibility with a wide range of TVs into the future.

Of course if they'd hired any of the many ARM foundries for PS4 Sony could have had the same effect, the only reason both Sony and MS converged on x86 was because it offered both a higher performance ISA and a very eager dev partner in AMD. The other ISA options were either held by companies that were uninterested in partnering (Intel), too expensive (IBM) or too weak ARM was still too weak in performance for a console at the time (and arguably still is).

Tabris

Probably by using his PS2 to PS3 method of "shove a PS3 into the PS4 case as well"

Honestly, I don't understand why Sony doesn't offer a SKU that has this. I would have re-bought my 3rd PS3 if they had offered one with EE in it and I would re-buy my PS4 if they had one with a cell chip in it.

EGM1966

Why would changing PSN name be hard? It's surely nothing more than an identifier linked to an internally generated unique PSN ID number used as main key for you? How the hell could they have coded the PSN Name to make it hard?

sublimit

Banned
*Sony’s first party developers won’t make any JRPG in the foreseeable future (again, the answer was a clear cut “no” to whether we can expect any or not).

Lets be honest here.We all knew it sounded too good to be true.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No new legend of dragoon?

Let that stinker stay in the past!
Hahaha, very true.

I'd have liked a new Wild ARMs though... so long as it's not all shittily modern with "action" combat of course.

It's not simple. You can't just 'turn it on' when some people may have 2000 friends -- the absolute constant barrage of friends notifications would be maddening and that amount of nonsense could easily cause other issues [there's potentially one hell of a lot of communication going on when you have each person telling 2k other people every time they're on off, times all the people online]. So now you also need to add friend 'groups' so that players can manage which groups they get notifications for. But now you also need to add group management and related features/gui - people would want to have friends in multiple groups, etc, etc. And if you're going to do all that work for groups, then maybe it's worth considering implementing some sort of OS level 'clan' system while you're at it?

And on and on. People love to assume everything is 'easy' in the dev world. That's almost never the case. Even a 'simple' change in the store, for example, is a fairly major task given you're touching mission critical software.

Yup. You can tell the whiners are not developers themselves.

No PSN name change still is an absolute joke
Shouldn't have picked up a lame xX69StupidAssNick69xX name then! xD

AFCA

Neo Member
They should have asked him about the future of the SOCOM franschise. I need a proper, tactical online shooter now!

vongruetz

Banned
As far as BC with PS3, I was always hoping that there would be a Cell processor dongle you could buy separately that would plug in and run games that way. I'm sure that would F up the OS and have to result in a dual-boot scenario, but I would have picked it up. Other than that, I'm not sure what else you could do... other than keep the PS3 hooked up, which is what I do.

Why would changing PSN name be hard? It's surely nothing more than an identifier linked to an internally generated unique PSN ID number used as main key for you? How the hell could they have coded the PSN Name to make it hard?

Changing settings on ancient Servers is kind of risky and a prospect that Sony are probably being extremely careful about before rolling it out.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Honestly, I don't understand why Sony doesn't offer a SKU that has this. I would have re-bought my 3rd PS3 if they had offered one with EE in it and I would re-buy my PS4 if they had one with a cell chip in it.

Because the cost would be far more than the small amount of people who care about PS3 BC.

Also, those of you slagging off on Legend of Dragoon, you have no concept of taste!

EagleEyes

How long did Xbox have to wait to simply take a screenshot? Both OS teams have strengths and weaknesses.
But its there now and has been for awhile on Xbox. We are still talking about notifications on PS4 and it looks like its gonna be awhile longer. :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
No new RPG is a total disappointment, honestly the Paris game show conference was a disappointment outside of Gravity Rush 2, since I was really hoping for a new RPG announcement, or more of Nier 2 to be shown.

A new Wild Arms or Arc the Lad would be my dream.

Garlador

Also, those of you slagging off on Legend of Dragoon, you have no concept of taste!

brofist.gif

Quite agree.

FStubbs

I really hope the name change ability comes soon. I understand why they don't want it but at the same time they should be able to limit it so people don't abuse it.

I don't understand though why Sony doesn't want to develop JRPGs. They are seriously missing out on a huge market that is really lacking this gen on all 3 consoles. Just look at the popularity of games like Persona and Final Fantasy XV. When done right they can sell extremely well.

Other than Xenoblade and Fire Emblem, what's Sony not getting on their platforms?

-Horizon-

of course ps3 BC would never happen

you can blame

tumblr_mhd3elUb7s1r72ht7o1_r1_500.gif

for making that impossible to happen

accept ps now and remasters as your lords and saviors now

border

I'm not sure why anybody thought they'd be making a JRPG.

PS4 flopped in Japan and the JRPG genre is relatively niche in the USA now.

Elfstruck

No new RPG is a total disappointment, honestly the Paris game show conference was a disappointment outside of Gravity Rush 2, since I was really hoping for a new RPG announcement, or more of Nier 2 to be shown.

A new Wild Arms or Arc the Lad would be my dream.

That's your fault for getting your hope up lol. Shuhei did say that PGW will be like Gamescom, and I don't think we see any JRPG announce at Gamescom after PS4 announcement.

Well it wouldn't be a typical JRPG according to Verendus, but more like a JRPG for an global audience (like Final Fantasy)

Mar Nosso

Banned
I say this with all the love my heart can muster, but it's just too painful to be ignored: f**k you Verendus!

*sobs uncontrollably*

I think he also said it will be unveiled this year. I guess there is always PSX but...

I remember him saying that he is not sure wheter JRPG2 will be announced this year or not

the last time he talked about the game, he said this

As for JRPG2, people shouldn't expect that announcement at a show like TGS anyway. I've mentioned this specifically several times in the past. JRPG2 won't make its debut at that kind of show since it's being made with a worldwide audience in mind, so naturally, the debut isn't going to happen at a conference usually packed with niche Japanese games.

True Fire

He's not going to spill the deets on their JRPG in a random interview.

Interviews with gaming companies are more untruthful than truthful, to be perfectly honest.

Inuhanyou

Even if they aren't PS4 has more than enough JRPG's coming down the pipe to support the audience for a long time

Cleve

Rumor is that the psn id is the primary key.

Yeah, seriously.

Probably by using his PS2 to PS3 method of "shove a PS3 into the PS4 case as well"

Hey, it works for me. I still have my PS3+PS2 and am currently replaying P3 FES (disc) on it. I'd definitely buy a PS4+Cell SKU, though I can't retire my PS3 until they make the PS4's dvd software as good as the PS3.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Rumor is that the psn id is the primary key.

Yeah, seriously.

If so, isn't the solution obvious? Just keep the psn id as the primary key, but display a nickname and keep the primary key hidden. People wont care that their primary key is their ex id.

NolbertoS

Come on Sony, make it happen PS 1, 2 and 3 BC on a PS4. I would pay $500 plus for that. Sony can make Cell emulation happen, they just don't want to and also the PS3 was a bad console sales wise compared to the PS2 and PS1. I believe it'll be a matter of time before Sony makes PS3 BC too.

Inuhanyou

^ Second party is third party exclusivity i guess...

Come on Sony, make it happen PS 1, 2 and 3 BC on a PS4. I would pay $500 plus for that. Sony can make Cell emulation happen, they just don't want to and also the PS3 was a bad console sales wise compared to the PS2 and PS1. I believe it'll be a matter of time before Sony makes PS3 BC too.

PS3 is pretty much impossible for PS4's HW.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Variety is good, and it's one way to stand out against the Bone, which probably won't ever have any exclusive representation of the genre on it.

If so, isn't the solution obvious? Just keep the psn id as the primary key, but display a nickname and keep the primary key hidden. People wont care that their primary key is their ex id.

This could work, they already display your real name, they just have to hide the PSN name, let you put a Subname that is visible to all players and voila free money for Sony.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Every SQL database administrator I know would laugh if they heard this.
I know I did (laugh, that is). I really hope that's not true, if so, big FAIL from Sony hahaha.

Yeah that would work. Especially since you log in with your email anyway so it's not tied to authentication or anything.

Top Bottom