• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida about Team ICO: They have something really, really good on the way

maskrider

Cedille said:
I hope they'll hire a better composer this time, instead of the guy who only sticks to loudness.

Well, people have responded enough but I'll add one thing, although the audio fidelity is not very good with the OST CD, the sound track is fantastic, so does his other works, e.g. Haibane renmei, which is simply excellent.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Amir0x said:
I'll want it.

I hope also in the process Shadow of the Colossus can get a re-release with a 60fps framerate and a few extra Colossus.

I would pay a full $60 for this.

gantz85

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Why though? I understand his games are critically acclaimed and SOTC is awesome (never played ICO) but it's not like his games sell like FF, Halo or GT.

FF/Halo/GT creators don't have nearly the same amount of creative control over their own franchises; they are designed for sales.

What Fumito Ueda does, in my opinion, is bring a sort of prestige to the Playstation brand that cannot be easily bought. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus weren't given the best of review scores but it seems like in retrospect their figures grow ever so bigger in the hardcore community and this includes the enthusiast press like 1UP and whatnot. I think the fact that it has attracted comments like those from del Toro demonstrates its appeal amongst accomplished artists even. All these result in a disproportionate amount of press coverage and "community noise" when measured against sales. So long as Team ICOlympic isn't making a loss on their games, they are one of Sony's trump cards.

Plus you don't fuck with creative gems like Ueda. So long as they don't request a US$100 million budget and turn a small profit while boosting your company profile, let them be.

gantz85

Banned
Farnack said:
I have no idea why people keep linking the Eminence orchestra version. It was actually quite terribly played.

This. They may have passion for the music, but they are not that good.

I've been to two live game music concerts and they were terrible. I think the talent is just not there for live performances yet.

zoku88

maskrider said:
Well, people have responded enough but I'll add one thing, although the audio fidelity is not very good with the OST CD, the sound track is fantastic, so does his other works, e.g. Haibane renmei, which is simply excellent.
he did that? That's awesome.

sholmes

Neo Member
gantz85 said:
FF/Halo/GT creators don't have nearly the same amount of creative control over their own franchises; they are designed for sales.

What Fumito Ueda does, in my opinion, is bring a sort of prestige to the Playstation brand that cannot be easily bought. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus weren't given the best of review scores but it seems like in retrospect their figures grow ever so bigger in the hardcore community and this includes the enthusiast press like 1UP and whatnot. I think the fact that it has attracted comments like those from del Toro demonstrates its appeal amongst accomplished artists even. All these result in a disproportionate amount of press coverage and "community noise" when measured against sales. So long as Team ICOlympic isn't making a loss on their games, they are one of Sony's trump cards.

Plus you don't fuck with creative gems like Ueda. So long as they don't request a US$100 million budget and turn a small profit while boosting your company profile, let them be.
Exactly. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are two of the very, very few examples of hope the video game industry has of being respected as a true form of artistic expression like books, movies, etc. I guarantee you, when politicians and community groups rally against video games saying games are immature, have senseless violence, and are just teaching kids to kill, they are only seeing games like GTA4, Halo, etc.

Team Ico's two games in 7 years are much more important to the video game industry's evolution as an art form than the AAA best seller FPSs we see every 6 months.

androvsky

Don't forget Ohtani's Haibane soundtrack, which is one of my favorites, and also mostly quite understated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LivWjonIrgo

Ohtani can do quiet, some of the best around... if that's what's wanted. If Ueda hired someone else, the result would've been someone else composing loud, bombastic battle themes since I'm pretty sure that's the effect Ueda wanted. Just a guess.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kazenone said:

Yep yep yep YES!

God half of the excitement for Team ICO's next project is not only how awesome the world is, but the MUSIC!

Can you guys imagine this too: The PS2 had just been released and they had already managed to make us FEEL an emotional attachment to the characters. Then they upped the ante with Shadow of the Colossus, making us FEEL an emotional attachment to the character and his own emotion who in turn had an emotional attachment of his own to a girl and his horse.

Now, on PS3, can you imagine what they are going to do???

BeeDog

Ether_Snake said:
Yep yep yep YES!

God half of the excitement for Team ICO's next project is not only how awesome the world is, but the MUSIC!

Can you guys imagine this too: The PS2 had just been released and they had already managed to make us FEEL an emotional attachment to the characters. Then they upped the ante with Shadow of the Colossus, making us FEEL an emotional attachment to the character and his own emotion who in turn had an emotional attachment of his own to a girl and his horse.

Now, on PS3, can you imagine what they are going to do???

A first-person shooter with a great soundtrack?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
A first-person shooter with a great soundtrack?
It's done before!

Oneself

Amir0x said:
I'll want it.

I hope also in the process Shadow of the Colossus can get a re-release with a 60fps framerate and a few extra Colossus.

SOTC on PSN @ 20$, 60fps, 1080p. That would be the most awesome release in the universe.

AKS

AranhaHunter said:
Why though? I understand his games are critically acclaimed and SOTC is awesome (never played ICO) but it's not like his games sell like FF, Halo or GT.

I remember reading comments from Ted Price, Amy Hennig, and Tim Schafer citing ICO as a major influence on gaming, as well as on each of them personally. If many of the top developers in gaming think it's that special, I think it's worth Sony's investment in funding a pet project or two even if it doesn't sell millions like a big blockbuster. Even if the masses didn't recognize ICO's brilliance, Team ICO's games are still very important and influential. My guess is that Sony would also like to keep a genius like Ueda happy and developing exclusively for them.

nny

Oh you tease, you..give us something substantial, can't wait for some info about what the game is about.

..and "Team IcOlympiColossus" has a nice rhythmic tune to it :p

SotC was an amazing game.

I rented ICO to see how good that was but for the dumbest fucking reason, my PS2 wouldn't read blue PS2 discs. Pretty awful that my PS2 couldn't play all PS2 games.

Amir0x

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
And Co-op as it was originally planned ^^

Hm I don't think that'd be worth anything with the game as it is currently designed. IF they wanted to go that route, I imagine it'd be in any totally new game they're planning... but if they wanted to apply it to Shadow of the Colossus, I suspect they'd need a complete redesign of everything and you'd basically end up with a different game or a really pointless feature. Either way not a particularly compelling addition.

There's very little use for co-op as the game is now.

Johnas

This new game from Team Ico is half the reason I bought a PS3 (MGS4 being the other). MGS4 disappointed me slightly, so I'm hoping for Trico to more than make up for it, which I really don't doubt it will.

I really hope this is shown at TGS, we need something to focus on besides that one picture of the chain. There isn't much info beyond that that I'm aware of, besides the boy and his creature partner exploring ruins, but I'm not even sure that was confirmed in any way.

Of course the soundtrack will be a masterpiece. Team Ico will be 3 for 3.

Dachande

Issun23 said:
That Guillermo del Toro comment is very encouraging. These games have received great critical attention.

I've got some pictures, some of them might make good posters and stuff:

Where did those in-game shots come from? They're at such a high resolution that they can't have come from normal screencaps, and you can't get to that angle in that section of Ico, but I've never seen them before now.

Johnas

kevm3 said:
I just hope that they don't go for a theme tgat is so lonely this time around.

I definitely hope they retain the vibe from the first two games. It's extraordinary, and they pull it off so so well. It's a big part of their style, imo.

omg yes.

This will probably be the best game on the ps3. Given the fact that SotC actually managed to sell moderately well, and the critical success of both Ico and SotC, I'm sure Sony will be throwing as many resources at Ueda as he wants.

This game will be nothing short of amazing. :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Co-op in SOTC may be the dumbest thing I've heard today, and I just watched the new John McCain attack ad.

It may have been originally planned, but if you've played the actual game, you'd know it would totally ruin everything.

I won't even look at the first trailer for this. I'll just find out the name and buy it when it comes out. I don't want to know anything about this game before I put it in my PS3.

gantz85 said:
Team ICOlympic could remake ICO and Shadow of the Colossus and I would buy it, day one.

The kind of stunning vision and detail that would be present in both for next-gen hardware would be awe-inspiring. But unless they source it out, they won't have the time. I'd rather new games.

Remake? Are you out of your mind? (You must be.)

I hope they develop a new fresh title.

AranhaHunter said:
This is what I love about Sony. They're not afraid to support niche developers like Team ICO and Quantic Dream, even if all it does is give them a better reputation rather than more sales.

Of course, SotC sold pretty well, so I suppose they might think that Team ICO's quality inflated by an insane budget will lead to great things...which it will, no doubt. :D

makingmusic476 said:
This is what I love about Sony. They're not afraid to support niche developers like Team ICO and Quantic Dream, even if all it does is give them a better reputation rather than more sales.

I suppose sometimes it's important to build your reputation, have people trust you, and then open the floodgates (or something).

WOW. Guillermo del Toro is one of my favorites people in the world because of his imagination and what he has accomplished with it and he has high praises to one of my favorite games. Holy shit. If anyone were to make a movie set in Ueda's world... it's del Toro.

MightyKAC

Wow. Beat ICO and only played SoTC for maybe an hour then my old PS2 bought the farm. Looks like I better hurry and see what everyone's raving about....

kevm3

I remember back in the day Sony used to get constant criticisms for their 'lack of originality' and 'sequelitis.' It's interesting to see how they've changed positions and have some of the most 'different' games coming out.

I just bought Shadow of the Colossus a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I've only played it a bit... Beat the first Colossus. Great experience so far.

Issun23

Dachande said:
Where did those in-game shots come from? They're at such a high resolution that they can't have come from normal screencaps, and you can't get to that angle in that section of Ico, but I've never seen them before now.

Press packs. I have more, might post them later.

Farnack

Banned
kevm3 said:
I remember back in the day Sony used to get constant criticisms for their 'lack of originality' and 'sequelitis.' It's interesting to see how they've changed positions and have some of the most 'different' games coming out.

I just bought Shadow of the Colossus a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I've only played it a bit... Beat the first Colossus. Great experience so far.
What did Sony do that lacked originality?

It's probably the games coming on the platform rather than the games they made.

Top Bottom