• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida wants Sony Japan Studio to release games that show the creativity of Japanese developers

Shin

Banned
The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu included an interview with Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the launch of the PS4 in Japan.

During the interview, he was asked to reminisce about the PS4 generation and hinted about what’s coming next.

Interestingly, Yoshida-san sees a generational change among gamers in Japan. The generation that is now in their forties and fifties mostly focused on single-player games. Nowadays college students in their twenties enjoy titles like Call of Duty, Rainbow Six Siege, or Overwatch. He feels that the Japanese gaming market, which used to be quite different from the rest of the world, has now blended more with the global market.

Sony Interactive Entertainment also radically changed development concepts between PS3 and PS4. While the PS3 was super-high performance, supercomputer-like, technology-driven dream of a hardware engineer, PS4 focused on ease of use and ease of development from the very beginning.

Asked what are the goals set for Sony’s Worldwide Studios, Yoshida-san mentioned that compared to the PS3 era Sony opted to make fewer games but to increase the scale and quality of each title. He is particularly pleased by the results of Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit: Become Human, and Marvel’s Spider-Man, which even sold well in Japan and were praised even more than expected.
It appears that Sony managed to change the previous situation which saw them having issues getting first-party games from western studios noticed in Japan even if they were good.

Lastly, he mentions that everything announced by Sony’s Japan Studio in the past two years has been released, with the exception of Everybody’s Gold VR. Nothing else has been announced after that, yet, while looking at the current market flow, and setting the aim high, Yoshida-san would like to release games which showcase the creativity unique to Japanese studios.

Credit: Twinfinite

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I want also to see Japan Studio make games as unique as Gravity Rush series and Puppeteer and for love of god please supported them instead of sending them to die.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
New game types and genres based on Japanese creativity not able to be found anywhere else...hmmm...and likely exclusive on PS5. That's what I gather from this article.

get a big japanese dev or two man. cmon

unless sony japan has been on a hiring spree or collaborating with a big dev. i dont see anything bigger than the last guardian coming out anytime soon.

like please so many good ips were created by studio japan and collaborations that beg for sequels or reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebots. just 1 more studio in japan with 2 big teams.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What I like about Japan Studio was they brought different creators to make their games. Like Keiichiro Toyama from Siren and Silent Hill to make Gravity Rush, Miyazaki from Souls series to make Bloodborne and I love to see they bring someone like Yoko Taro to make games for Japan Studio.

Last edited:

Elfstar

What about letting them to finally make games that actually look Japanese?

Also i suspiociously fear that showcasing creativity = VR and low budget.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
GREAT NEWS!!!!

Finally Japan Studio has its recognition

Gravity rush 3!!! I demand it. (WITH A BEST MARKETING AAA )

They said that they focus more on the artistic and creative question, and not so much the number of sales that is not their main objective.

But sales is always a good thing.

I hope they do a saga influenced in other media like The vision of Escaflowne ... I think that White Knight Chronicles had that influence.

Talking about that game is see such interesting, but i never see that game again.

Last edited:
Whatever sony did with the western studios they need to do with japan

they have no studios in japan really

I dont count polyphony. because polyphony is the dedicated GT studio. just expect a GT every 4 years or so

and japan studio has been making small projects

should acquire 1 more japanese studio.

Liquid_Snake

Neo Member
i would prefer them funding exclusives from already established independent Japanese studios like Kojima Productions , Platinum games etc.

Shin

Banned
Even though it probably deserves it's own thread given the time-frame Japan Studios last released a game and/or their size.
Take it with a grain of salt, but suddenly updating something after 7-8 years is too odd to be out of the ordinary IMO.

Would love them to make their own take on the JRPG genre again and perhaps an Action Oriented game similar to Soul Sacrifice.

Jaoan Studio has a lot of subsidiaries inside it which means they should be able to make 4 games simultaneously.

NahaNago

When I hear " creativity unique to Japanese studios", I think they want to be cheap and go the smaller game/ almost indie type route.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is selfish of me but what I would like from the Japanese studios would also be games that are on the level of uncharted, horizon, and god of war.

So you want an internal Sony Japanese team to make their version of Bloodborne, Bayonetta, or Monster Hunter?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Legend of Dragoon Remake (not remaster)

ca7f67cc-517d-4e3b-916b-3f60fc684b39_1.3e31363a67a861716da8c3d4b6e25cee.jpeg

Followed with a sequel being announced afterwards

Last edited:
Top Bottom