• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shu's Twitter has been hacked (@yosp)

SSReborn

Wow they are hacking his account and not using it to announce a new Crash game or anything like that?! what a missed opportunity, it could be legendary for the few hours until Sony debunk it.
They wouldn't do that they are a security company......lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just remember folks 2 Step verification doesn't mean you can't be hacked, its in fact fairly easy to get around but harder than the very basic most ways of protecting passwords and accounts. Still its not some impenetrable wall.

Jonnax

Security group? I would assume that white hats don't just do things without their permission and won't withhold the account like this. Jesus.

Yeah, they're just trollish people likely in a jurisdiction where they can't get prosecuted for their actions.

Xater

DrZ4ACb.png

6vMnVMW.png

Yeah looks legit....

I'd contact Twitter before ever engaging with such people. Shu is verified so he should have no trouble sorting this out.

Rellik

Just remember folks 2 Step verification doesn't mean you can't be hacked, its in fact fairly easy to get around but harder than the very basic most ways of protecting passwords and accounts. Still its not some impenetrable wall.

These guys cant get around it. They tried to hack deadmau5 but he had it on and he was rubbibg their face in it. They never got into his account and moved on.

Back then they were holding accounts for ransom and to get it back you'd have to follow them on Twitter.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shu doesn't use 2Factor on Twitter. Why am I not surprised?
WHEN IS 2FACTOR PSN COMING, SHU!?

Well, such testing groups do exist for both door locks and cyber security. The idea is that a company, to make sure that its safety measures are indeed up to snuff, will have such a group try to gain forcible access. If they fail or only succeed after a ludicrous amount of effort - ie, more than the average hacker would ever bother with - then its a pass. If they get in far too easily things need to be improved.

In this case though, Sony obviously did not ask for this group's services, so this leaning way closer to a protection racket.

It's obviously doesn't have anything to do with security, but is just asshole hackers trying to blackmail. These tactics are used all the time and can be a lot worse in regards to shit like ransomware where whole company servers are locked down.

Mithos

Just wondering, what kind of 2 step do twitter have (I don't use it)?

Email, SMS (require your phone number), application (authentication app of some kind) or some other type?

test_account

XP-39C²
Some people have recently been hacked even using 2 factor authentication, like Boogie2988, so even thats not 100% safe. I think there was another guy as well, but i cant remember his name.

God, these hackers lack so much creativity. They could have done so much to troll people at least, instead they invoke ethical hacking then devolve into console wars lol.

pelican

Bit of Karma considering Sony's track record of account security for their customers.

Difference here is the hackers can't make charges to @yosp's credit card.

Two Step PSN verification - MIA.

I wonder if Shu contacts any developers privately on Twitter, I imagine not but these guys would have access to personal conversations if so.

cireza

God, these hackers lack so much creativity. They could have done so much to troll people at least, instead they invoke ethical hacking then devolve into console wars lol.
Yeah, that's a real disappointment. Talk about wasted potential.

Can't wait to see websites publishing news about this tweet however.

Some people have recently been hacked even using 2 factor authentication, like Boogie2988, so even thats not 100% safe. I think there was another guy as well, but i cant remember his name.

Ethan from h3h3 (youtube) I believe.

Yup. If tech support is stupid enough to fall for social engineering, then two factor is useless.

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caVEiitI2vg

Actually I just asked him (where or who to ask) about when the 2FA feature will be rolling out before his account is hacked. Friend of mine's PSN account just switched to non-primary by someone else.

EDIT: And I hope everyone at psn infrastructure team is aware how much important the 2FA is and taking this matter seriously.

Sigh

Actually I just asked him (where or who to ask) about when the 2FA feature will be rolling out before his account is hacked. Friend of mine's PSN account just switched to non-primary by someone else.

Sigh

I've only just gotten back my US account from this. Account details weren't changed just account switched primary consoles. Pain in the ass.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Should've announced a voluntary recall of Dual Shock 4 controllers. Include link to bullshit form, that asks user to fill out and mail along with controller to Sony.

jaypah

This is so damn stupid and a complete waste of time. Shouldn't happen to anybody but shame that it happened to a cool dude.

Top Bottom