• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Revolution dated (PR)

soul

Sid Meier's Civilization: Revolution release date announced

San Francisco – February 20, 2008 2K Games is proud to announce that Sid Meier's Civilization® Revolution™, the latest entry in the award-winning Sid Meier’s Civilization® franchise, will be available in shops on June 6, 2008. Developed internally at 2K’s world-renowned and award-winning Firaxis development studio, Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution will be available for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Nintendo DS™.

Built from the ground up solely for console and handheld gamers, Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution features fast-paced, pick-up-and-play action involving strategic global domination and history's most intrepid leaders, as well as a highly competitive multi-player experience. Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution brings the renowned Civilization franchise to consoles for the first time, delivering the vast re-playability and unmatched addictive gameplay that has become synonymous with the works of Sid Meier. New graphical touches and a streamlined interface will transport the Civilization franchise to a level that fans have never seen before.

Al Bickham
UK PR Manager
2K Games
T: 01753 496610
M: 07921 697345
alex.bickham@2kgames.com

PantherLotus said:
Actually it was cancelled, but they're still saying "on hold." :|

I find hilarious that even being market leader the wii version gets cancelled.....hilarious....this game is probably going to flop, at least on Ps3.....

YYZ

Bluemercury said:
I find hilarious that even being market leader the wii version gets cancelled.....hilarious....this game is probably going to flop, at least on Ps3.....
who the fuck is going to buy Civilization on the Wii? Really?

Playing this game in standard def FTW?

Since this game is developed specifically for consoles, I'm guessing it will be better than the standard PC-->console port, but meh.

Mrbob

Bluemercury said:

Since all the assets from the 360 version can be converted to PS3 much easier, this is why you are seeing the release on PS3. They have to redo everything to make the game for Wii. .

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. i don't buy the argument that it wouldn't sell on the wii and therefore that's why it was cancelled.
2. i don't buy the argument that because the wii is the market leader it belongs on the platform, either.

the fact is -- and the dev said as much -- that it started development last and couldn't share artifacts from the other ports. anyone trying to turn this into a fanboy argument for either side is showing their stripes as clear as day. knock it off.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
YYZ said:
who the fuck is going to buy Civilization on the Wii? Really?

Playing this game in standard def FTW?

Since this game is developed specifically for consoles, I'm guessing it will be better than the standard PC-->console port, but meh.

Because if it anywhere even NEAR resembles the games it's name is based on, then the Wii has, by far, the best control system for the game.

Edit : And I say this as a big Civilization fan, NOT a Nintendo fan.

JeremyR

vanguardian1 said:
Because if it anywhere even NEAR resembles the games it's name is based on, then the Wii has, by far, the best control system for the game.

Edit : And I say this as a big Civilization fan, NOT a Nintendo fan.

I dunno. The mouse is really only used to manage the city squares - most of the rest of the game is best handled with the keyboard (especially unit movement with the keypad). It is basically a very old school PC game design, back from when mice were fairly new fangled.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but is there any update on the release date? Some sites show July, some June, etc. It seems all over the place. Any word or is this press release still valid?

MotorbreathX said:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but is there any update on the release date? Some sites show July, some June, etc. It seems all over the place. Any word or is this press release still valid?
Most recent date is July 8th... I would imagine some sites just haven't updated their ship dates since the delay.

I seem to remember some interview a long time ago where they said the Wii version would be special and awesome.

Did Sid Meier actually design this? What does he even do nowadays?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if we'll get a demo.

Ah, frak it. The amount of time I've spent with the PC games means it should be a must-buy regardless. I'm just slightly hesitant about how it'll turn out.

gofreak said:
I wonder if we'll get a demo.

Ah, frak it. The amount of time I've spent with the PC games means it should be a must-buy regardless. I'm just slightly hesitant about how it'll turn out.

I've been burned too often by Firaxis to buy stuff without reading reviews first. Gettysburg, Railroads, Pirates!, and civ 3: play the world (the multiplayer expansion where multiplayer didn't work) all left a bad taste in my mouth. Pirates! was decent but too repetitive and shallow to hold my interest nowadays like it did back when it first came out.

Edit: not to mention the 2 Civ IV expansions. Warlords added very little to the main game, and Beyond the Sword had so many problems that my friends and I stopped playing multiplayer Civ at that point.

szaromir

Banned
I didn't expect it to be out that soon. I wonder how much it has been streamlined. I haven't played a Civilization game for years, I would pick Civ IV if I was to go back to the series now...

The June day is for PAL regions, the July date is for the US.

I'll be interested to see the reception of this game from hardcore console gamers. It's pretty much the most ambitious strategy game release on gaming consoles ever:

- Development studio has top talent and a legendary track record for strategy games.
- Game is designed from the ground up for consoles, no PC release.
- Big publisher backing and next-gen level production values and modern game design.
- Recognizable "Civilization" branding.

It sort of represents the best case scenario for turn-based, in-depth console strategy gaming. It will be very interesting to see how well it sells, since those figures will represent a good measurement of acceptance that the genre can have in console gaming.

syllogism

There seems to very very little hype, so it's hard to see it sell well at least initially.

Eurogamer preview last week didn't exactly alleviate my concerns regarding single player, but they did say multiplayer is better

Civ Rev is going to annoy a lot of people. On my first encounter with it, I was convinced its sheer charm and concentrated focus on what always made Civ great would win over all but the hardest Civ IV-playing hearts, but after a dozen or so games I now worry the enormity of what's been composited and removed may make it an unsatisfying single-player game to old hands.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=142679

syllogism said:
There seems to very very little hype, so it's hard to see it sell well at least initially.

I agree to some extent-but I also get the feeling that the game will have appeal past the usual hardcore console gamer. If you look at Civ fans on the PC and the hardcore RTS/FPS-of-the-week types, there's not as much overlap as one would think.

Fragamemnon said:

I'll be interested to see the reception of this game from hardcore console gamers. It's pretty much the most ambitious strategy game release on gaming consoles ever:

- Development studio has top talent and a legendary track record for strategy games.
- Game is designed from the ground up for consoles, no PC release.
- Big publisher backing and next-gen level production values and modern game design.
- Recognizable "Civilization" branding.

It sort of represents the best case scenario for turn-based, in-depth console strategy gaming. It will be very interesting to see how well it sells, since those figures will represent a good measurement of acceptance that the genre can have in console gaming.

Who's the designer? Soren Johnson is gone, Brian Reynolds is gone, and Sid Meier hasn't designed anything new in over 10 years. Since games are made by people and not companies, I wonder how much stock to put in Firaxis' track record.

You have to admit that a game like would be anathema on the Wii. That said, i am pretty bearish about this title, Civ IV being my second favorite game of all time. I am afraid there is no reason to play this one if you have Civ IV. But being a huge civ fanatic i might be unable to resist it once i actually start seeing it in stores.

Open Source said:
Who's the designer? Soren Johnson is gone, Brian Reynolds is gone, and Sid Meier hasn't designed anything new in over 10 years. Since games are made by people and not companies, I wonder how much stock to put in Firaxis' track record.

Sid himself has been lead designer this entire project from what I have read. I do agree that there is a decent argument as to whether he has "got" it. I assume he'll aslo have the same people who made Beyond the Sword so great around too-and yes, BtS was a great expansion pack to Civ4 and rounded out that game in a lot of ways.

I am afraid there is no reason to play this one if you have Civ IV.

Civ4 didn't really have a realistically workable multiplayer format. CivRev supposedly does, which I think is the main sort of draw for PC owners with Civ IV. Also, the chance to play a strategy game on handhelds that isn't a anime-reskinned, dumbed down Panzer General clone should be pretty appealing to the Civ4 set.

Fragamemnon said:
Sid himself has been lead designer this entire project from what I have read. I do agree that there is a decent argument as to whether he has "got" it. I assume he'll aslo have the same people who made Beyond the Sword so great around too-and yes, BtS was a great expansion pack to Civ4 and rounded out that game in a lot of ways.

Interesting.

Oh, and when I said he hadn't designed a new game in 10 years, I forgot SimGolf (I'm sure I'm not the only one).

Open Source said:
Interesting.

Oh, and when I said he hadn't designed a new game in 10 years, I forgot SimGolf (I'm sure I'm not the only one).

If I didn't have a pile of strategy/wargames up to my freakin' eyes I would so reinstall SimGolf. What a fantastic game, a true underrated gem of a title.

xbhaskarx

San Francisco – February 20, 2008 2K Games is proud to announce that Sid Meier's Civilization® Revolution™, the latest entry in the award-winning Sid Meier’s Civilization® franchise, will be available in shops on June 6, 2008.

Fragamemnon said:

What? Damn, that sucks.

mentalfloss said:

I'm sure they would have made a Wii version if the hardware in it didn't suck so much that they would have had to tell their artists, AI, and engine coders "hey guys, I know you are super talented and what not, but can you make a version of the game that's not nearly as good as the one you just finished?".

Yeah, bad idea. That's not even touching the whole issue of wacko demographic mismatch that is this product and the wii userbase.

I can see a port job if the product takes off though. I doubt Firaxis would be the one to do the porting,though.

Fragamemnon said:
If I didn't have a pile of strategy/wargames up to my freakin' eyes I would so reinstall SimGolf. What a fantastic game, a true underrated gem of a title.

That sounds like such a good time right now. I might do that this weekend. I'd love a new SimGolf.

platypotamus said:
That sounds like such a good time right now. I might do that this weekend. I'd love a new SimGolf.

My weekend is totally tied up with the new EU3 expansion-that's if I can get through this stupidly long game of Stainless Steel 6.1 for M2:TW AND keep up with my game of TOAW3 I have running.

Argh, waaay too much good strategy gaming this year.

Fragamemnon said:
I'm sure they would have made a Wii version if the hardware in it didn't suck so much that they would have had to tell their artists, AI, and engine coders "hey guys, I know you are super talented and what not, but can you make a version of the game that's not nearly as good as the one you just finished?".

Yeah, bad idea. That's not even touching the whole issue of wacko demographic mismatch that is this product and the wii userbase.

I can see a port job if the product takes off though. I doubt Firaxis would be the one to do the porting,though.

Okay..

Pointer for RTS games = win even if they downgrade the graphics. I sure as hell would buy the Wii version over the HD counterpart. Battle For Middle Earth II proves that dual analog and RTS is a bittersweet experience.

Fragamemnon said:

There's a demographic mismatch on every system except the PC and DS for a Civ game at this point. I can't imagine this sells well on the 360 and PS3 (although i doubt it had anything like the usual $20-40 million HD console budget so that helps), it's too dumbed down for much of the Civ crowd, such as for myself control-wise, but it's still a bit too much for the PS360 Halo/CoD4 fan. Oh well, there's still the DS version for a Civ fan to look forward to.

mentalfloss said:
Pointer for RTS games = win even if they downgrade the graphics. I sure as hell would buy the Wii version over the HD counterpart. Battle For Middle Earth II proves that dual analog and RTS is a bittersweet experience.

Well it is a good thing that CivRev is fully turn based and everything moves on a grid, then.

lordmrw

Fragamemnon said:

Seeing as how they're making a DS version, your whole argument is moot.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There will be a Wii version if the other versions sell, they have to create all the art for it, thats all. They didn't want to divert resources to do it or just hack up the PS3/360 graphics quickly.

I'll be grabbing this eventually. I like what they are doing with it. The "Normal" setting of Civ 4 was too hurried, too much stuff being crammed into too small a time frame - you had to set it to longer to feel balanced, but its harder to devote a full afternoon to a Civ game than it used to be. If the game feels better in Normal that will be a significant step forward. Also, I like the increased emphasis on multiplayer. I just hope the PS3 version supports a keyboard/mouse.

Plus, Sid Meier is doing some of the coding and design work directly instead of sourcing it out to an all star. Pretty cool he is doing that IMO.

Top Bottom