• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sidescroller VS 3d Action on the PSP?

If you had too choose between the two, would you rather have a 3d action game like The Wariors on the PSP, or more like a Final Fight sidescroller on the PSP.

I know what I would pick, but I want to know what GAF thinks.

AniHawk

Sidescrolling, because it's a HANDHELD. I can still get my 3D action any damn time I want.

Seriously. The two Mega Mans are fucking awesome. G&G looks pretty slick too.

Fusebox

Banned
I play the hell out of the Metal Slug series on my PSP, sidescrollers rule on it.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to the top-down made-for-portable versions of Killzone and Bulletproof, they have loads of this-gen-Smash-TV potential. Btw-hyphons-are-cool.

AniHawk said:
Sidescrolling, because it's a HANDHELD. I can still get my 3D action any damn time I want.

Seriously. The two Mega Mans are fucking awesome. G&G looks pretty slick too.

See, I completely agree. I'm glad we agree. Now that this is GAF, I'm goign to take my happiness, and store it somewhere safe. Ok, now everyone who disagrees can come out of hte woodwork hahaha.

Striek

Sidescrollers are very playable and enjoyable on PSP because of their simplified controls. However some games adapt very well to portable action like GTA (and presumably Syphon Filter as I wait for its release here).

Theres well-designed games and there shittily designed games, being on a handheld doesn't mean you can't have engaging 3D action.

AniHawk

Striek said:
Theres well-designed games and there shittily designed games, being on a handheld doesn't mean you can't have engaging 3D action.

That's true, but we have aaaallllll forms of engaging 3D action all the time on consoles.

Striek said:
Sidescrollers are very playable and enjoyable on PSP because of their simplified controls. However some games adapt very well to portable action like GTA (and presumably Syphon Filter as I wait for its release here).

You can have well designed games, and you can have poorly designed games. But the question is that, is a well designed 3d action game on the psp, more fun, or preferable to you, than a well designed Sidescroller.

Now, for me personally, I hate that damn analogue nub with the passion of a thousand burning suns. To the point where if a game requires me to use it I almost feel like I don't want to play the game. But thats just me, maybe other people feel the same way, maybe they don't. I don't know, but I was curious, which is why I asked.

I also am forseeing a potential "discussion" about this at work tomorrow so I'm testing my theory.

Striek

flarkminator said:
But the question is that, is a well designed 3d action game on the psp, more fun, or preferable to you, than a well designed Sidescroller.y.
Oh, I understood the question, I just kinda forgot to answer as I was replying somewhat to anihawks comment. I have a tenuous preference to sidescrollers partially because of nostalgia, somewhat because they look beautiful on PSP, but alot because they're probably more 'pickup and play' friendly.

Striek said:
Oh, I understood the question, I just kinda forgot to answer as I was replying somewhat to anihawks comment. I have a tenuous preference to sidescrollers partially because of nostalgia, somewhat because they look beautiful on PSP, but alot because they're probably more 'pickup and play' friendly.

Yeah, you touched on sort of my other argument, the whole pick up and play mentality. I think it gets "lost in the shuffle" for lack of a better term when people start making 3d action games on a handheld.

_leech_ said:
2D anything.

See I dunno, I think the PSP has shown that the 2.5D approach can be absolutly stunning on the PSP, and in fact surpass it. Certainly 2D can be beautifull, but it also requires a different KIND of team.

I'd rather see sidescrollers or isomtric style game on the PSP. With fully 3d games I always get the feeling the games would be better of on the console.

7Th

I hate you because this thread reminded me that there’re still no plans to port/remake SotN with enhanced effects to PSP.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
flarkminator said:
You can have well designed games, and you can have poorly designed games. But the question is that, is a well designed 3d action game on the psp, more fun, or preferable to you, than a well designed Sidescroller.
Equally fun for me.

Now, for me personally, I hate that damn analogue nub with the passion of a thousand burning suns.
I have absolutely no problem with the nub...I even prefer to play 2.5d PSP games with the nub :O

7Th said:
I hate you because this thread reminded me that there’re still no plans to port/remake SotN with enhanced effects to PSP.

Heh, just the other day found SotN while packing to move to the new appartment. Think I'm goign to replay it =)

Put me in the 2.5D crowd. The new Ghosts n Goblins looks great, the Mega Man remakes are excellent. 2D is dead on consoles, I'm glad to see it's not following suit on handhelds just because they can do 3D.

Put me in the 2.5D crowd. The new Ghosts n Goblins looks great, the Mega Man remakes are excellent. 2D is dead on consoles, I'm glad to see it's not following suit on handhelds just because they can do 3D.

Yeah, maybe its because I feel like 2d has died on consoles, and with the next generation coming it feels like its going to just be left even further behind. And that doesn't bother me, but I miss it. And if there is a handheld that can DO 3d, I think its the perfect place to bring back some of the stuff about 2d that made it so fun, but redon with 3d. The pick up and play aspect to it. Which is what handhelds are about anyway.

Top Bottom