• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sifu |OT| Old Boy

cormack12

Gold Member
Why is it getting hate?

f.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
Ah, I see... Well is Forspoken also getting hate? Or is the other way around ok?

Forspoken got a ton of hate because the main character is "too cliché" and a dev said the main character had a "hip-hoppy" walk, which is of course EXTREMELY racist against eh.. um... people.

Same as with Sifu though it's always the same virtue-signaling, lefty, more often than not white circlejerking bubble amplifying their own echo chamber to each other though, hardly worth mentioning.

Imagine working for years on a game, get great reviews only to have a bunch of cretins come out the woodwork calling you and your entire team white insensitive cultural appropriating racists because you made a kung fu game.

Unacceptable.

shubik

Forspoken got a ton of hate because the main character is "too cliché" and a dev said the main character had a "hip-hoppy" walk, which is of course EXTREMELY racist against eh.. um... people.

Same as with Sifu though it's always the same virtue-signaling, lefty, more often than not white circlejerking bubble amplifying their own echo chamber to each other though, hardly worth mentioning.

Imagine working for years on a game, get great reviews only to have a bunch of cretins come out the woodwork calling you and your entire team white insensitive cultural appropriating racists because you made a kung fu game.

Unacceptable.

At least they are consistent with their madness :D

I'm still on the fence about this. That 40 euro price tag is not doing the game any favors.

Is the combat Sekiro-style rhythm memory based inputs? Or is it a more punishing Arkham or Sleeping Dogs-style freeflow?

Similar ish .. but much harder coming from someone who can do pretty clean runs in Sekiro I get absolutely owned in the club level in this game.

You are much more easily ganked by large gangs of enemies in this and they attack faster and more aggressive in this game I think. It’s not really possible to pull single enemies in this also so it’s very easy to get overwhelmed.

I also think the controls are much harder to learn and master and enemy attacks are harder to read to and they come out faster.

I wouldn’t get this game unless you enjoy bashing your head against a wall or is very good at beat ‘em ups in general. It’s a very frustrating and difficult game, much more so than Sekiro, Returnal, Metroid Dread or any similar tough games I’ve beaten.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You are much more easily ganked by large gangs of enemies in this and they attack faster and more aggressive in this game I think. It’s not really possible to pull single enemies in this also so it’s very easy to get overwhelmed.

I also think the controls are much harder to learn and master and enemy attacks are harder to read to and they come out faster.

I wouldn’t get this game unless you enjoy bashing your head against a wall or is very good at beat ‘em ups in general. It’s a very frustrating and difficult game, much more so than Sekiro, Returnal, Metroid Dread or any similar tough games I’ve beaten.
I'm probably gonna buy this during some heavy discount, i have too much to play for the next 2-3 months.

Thanks for the heads up, i'm kinda shit with beat em up but i like hard games and roguelites.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm in the museum at 23 after half a day of failing through the club. I don't know how some of you managed to beat the game already it's insanely hard. Sean boss last phase low sweep has zero tells, I still can't figure out which direction to wiggle the left stick to dodge effectively, does it even matter outside up / down for those attacks?

Overall it's INCREDIBLE, easy 9/10 for me if it wasn't for some camera issues and I still don't know how to AIM focus effect in crowds so I hit the right enemy with it. Most abilities are well, for the show I guess no idea how to incorporate them effectively... Other than that - wow. I thought it's gonna be good but not this good.
I agree with your points and once you master handling crowds, parrying, blocking and dodging you feel like a true badass in this game

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I think like with all games, the more you play, the better you become. Returnal is way easier than Sifu for me now

Jesus christ these people can't enjoy anything...

What a bunch of sad souls.
Video Games 1987

images

Wow, this game is pretty radical. Look, you can jump now!

Video Games 2022

220px-I_am_Error.png

If Miyamoto and the team behind this imperialist tour through white Europe diversified their team, then maybe they could have shown more than a surface level appreciation for cultural authenticity. People are not worthy of humanity or dignity in this tone-deaf tourism-de-force; shown living like animals without any possessions in their house, or even the ability to speak properly. Dehumanizing people to this degree is the kind of thing that led to the holocaust. Spoiler alert: but at the end, the game takes an unforgiveable turn as Link actually kills the only black man in the game, who is nothing more than an emotionless hyper-violent clone of Link; perpetuating the black-man-as-criminal tropes on a level not seen since Birth of a Nation.

Last edited:

Superwave

Banned
The game looks amazing and right up my alley but I think the price is a bit steep.

I understand there is replayability here but there isn't much content to the game. I feel like they have purposely held back half the game behind a DLC paywall.. Great game or not, I don't like their intentions, especially at this price. At least at this price have a day 1 physical release, not 3 months later. It's a pass for me until it goes on sale.
Is there actually missing content?

tbh these days I put games into the "good" and "not good" column. If it's good then it is worth whatever the asking price is.

This is one game I wish you could tune the damage output and how much you take because the difficulty of the enemies in this game is overtuned imo.

They are aggressive as fuck and deal crazy damage.

This is one game I wish you could tune the damage output and how much you take because the difficulty of the enemies in this game is overtuned imo.

They are aggressive as fuck and deal crazy damage.
I've literally died from 1 kick after I was in my 50s. I guess they're going for realism lol.

I was going to do that but it says I’ll lose all my progress?
You will, but that's normal. Basically you want to get as close as you can get to beating level 1 flawlessly. While you do that, just invest all your XP into 1 skill at a time and you'll keep them permanently.

When you feel you're at a decent age on level 1, then play level 2 and if you die you restart as many times as you want from the level 2 age you started at. And even then, you give up and replay stage 1 again anytime and just redo it with all your permanent skills saved.

After a while level 1 is not a concern at all and you can run through it without hardly dying, just for fun and xp.

Once you start getting to level 3 and on ward, then don't go back until you're ready to totally restart.

Last edited:

tommib

You will, but that's normal. Basically you want to get as close as you can get to beating level 1 flawlessly. While you do that, just invest all your XP into 1 skill at a time and you'll keep them permanently.

When you feel you're at a decent age on level 1, then play level 2 and if you die you restart as many times as you want from the level 2 age you started at. And even then, you give up and replay stage 1 again anytime and just redo it with all your permanent skills saved.

After a while level 1 is not a concern at all and you can run through it without hardly dying, just for fun and xp.

Once you start getting to level 3 and on ward, then don't go back until you're ready to totally restart.
Kermit The Frog Reaction GIF

GHG

Gold Member
The game looks amazing and right up my alley but I think the price is a bit steep.

I understand there is replayability here but there isn't much content to the game. I feel like they have purposely held back half the game behind a DLC paywall.. Great game or not, I don't like their intentions, especially at this price. At least at this price have a day 1 physical release, not 3 months later. It's a pass for me until it goes on sale.

Just got it for about $17 on the EGS using the coupon. Might be largely thanks to regional pricing though.

Worth looking in to if you have at least a half decent PC.

vpance

I'm still on the fence about this. That 40 euro price tag is not doing the game any favors.

Is the combat Sekiro-style rhythm memory based inputs? Or is it a more punishing Arkham or Sleeping Dogs-style freeflow?

Some comment I read said it reminded them of God Hand. No idea if that's accurate or not.

manfestival

Not the kinda game I care to play myself but... been watching people play it on twitch and it is very cool. Some of these fights... absolutely pain to deal with.

CheshirexChrono

Neo Member
I've been playing the last couple of days and I have to admit, it's hard to put down. It's extremely intuitive yet punishing as hell. The club level is hard but moreso it's - dare I say it - a test to see if you're paying attention to your skill set as well as the skill set of your opponent.

SLB1904

Banned
I'm getting my ass kicked. I'm 60 years old and only beat the second boss. Love the combat so many possibilities 😍

vpance

Looks like the game is about 6-8 hrs for the first completion if you're experienced at action/fighting games.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Just bought this game and played the intro. Already impressed by the DualSense 😁

I suck at those kind of games but I was too intrigued by the concept. Hopefully they add "accessibility" options later lol

They can disable trophies and give me a "little bitch" tag I don't care 🤓

FrankWza

Just bought this game and played the intro. Already impressed by the DualSense 😁

I suck at those kind of games but I was too intrigued by the concept. Hopefully they add "accessibility" options later lol

They can disable trophies and give me a "little bitch" tag I don't care 🤓
In the spirit of Oldboy, there should be a
You fucked your self trophy

This is so tempting…

But going to wait for a sale or used copy. Don’t want to spend $40 when so many other good games are coming out in the next 2 weeks

First run a little over 4 hours, second run I beat it at 3 hours and 2 minutes and finished before hitting age 40. Ima try one more time to finish it before hitting 30 then im practically done with it for good lol
I saw a speed runner beat it in 40 mins lol

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Isn't your profile pic from Returnal? The progression in Sifu sounds like almost every Roguelike ever made; they just put a unique spin on it. Heck, it sounds like they throw you a bone where you can start a level where they saved your last best run for you.

iHaunter

Interesting, ok. I loved Returnal but it took a bit of time. Almost quit it three times, and was incredibly glad when I stuck it out. I've decided to get this one as well.
Returnal was my GOTY. And I really liked Rift Apart. That 3rd boss ALONE is one of the best boss of any game.

luffie

Yes it's hard and the attacks have lesser telegraph to them, but the patterns are also more limited. For crowds you need to fight differently than most action games, utilize the environment to the max. Most probably you are only moving a little, their environment is big enough.

You need to leap around ledges the separate them, and move around and kick things. When you leap on ledges, you have iframes, alone they are not that hard to deal. Most weaving is just weave downwards, just eat the lower swipe unblockable.

If you block and see another incoming, you can weave down that incoming and counter them, or you can block the 1st guy attack and dodge the 2nd one for safety. It's hard, but manageable.

what’s wrong with the L1 dodge in this game? Just me or is does it just feel off and really bad..? More than half of the time my character will just stand there taking hits instead.. I don’t get this fucking game.

Just wish the enemies weren’t so hyper aggressive and ruthless in pursuit also.. fucking lol they just go fucking ham on yo ass

Justin9mm

Is there actually missing content?

tbh these days I put games into the "good" and "not good" column. If it's good then it is worth whatever the asking price is.
I have no proof there is, it's just my hunch after 30+ years of gaming. The length of 5 levels feels a bit off to me.

There was some post by the dev when people could not download the 48 hour early access due to PlayStation store issues and they made comment to the effect of more than making it up to them later. That smells like extra content to me.

Top Bottom