• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sifu |OT| Old Boy

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Just when you are on the verge and about to transcend into "git gud" you get greedy and mess up. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

laughing-laugh.gif

This guy never fucked in his life, not even socks or banana peels, you must be on such a miserable plane of existence to even think something like that.

Last edited:

CZY

Waiting for a sale. My current question is what exactly comes with the digital delux? The description says it’s two avatars and some kind of cinematic. For ten extra bucks? I don’t get it.

Con-Z-epT

Waiting for a sale. My current question is what exactly comes with the digital delux? The description says it’s two avatars and some kind of cinematic. For ten extra bucks? I don’t get it.
For the deluxe edition you get a digital artbook, a special fotomode package, two exclusive Sifu avatars for your ps profile and early access to the game.

luffie

Man, I think the last boss is rather poorly designed.

They create an artificial difficulty by removing your focus, unlike Sekiro which gave you all the tools to use.

For all other bosses, I can get a Raining Strike, focus a sweep, pummel, and another Raining Strike when they stand up, speeding up the process.

Fancy moves doesn't seem to be working too, he weaved all my Raining Strikes, and all i can get is a light, light, heavy. I really wanna see someone do a fancy move on Yang. Maybe a backhand strike will work, but I'm not that skilled yet.

CZY

For the deluxe edition you get a digital artbook, a special fotomode package, two exclusive Sifu avatars for your ps profile and early access to the game.
“Early access to the game” is over my guy. So they want ten bucks for two avatars, “special fotomode package” (still no clue what that means), and a digital art book? Wow ok thanks yeah I’ll pass on that.

Con-Z-epT

“Early access to the game” is over my guy. So they want ten bucks for two avatars, “special fotomode package” (still no clue what that means), and a digital art book? Wow ok thanks yeah I’ll pass on that.
I'm just stating what the description said when i bought it. Off course the early access has expired which was the main selling point. With a PS+ subscription it was only 5 €/$ more which isn't that much.

Bartski

Gold Member
Man, I think the last boss is rather poorly designed.

They create an artificial difficulty by removing your focus, unlike Sekiro which gave you all the tools to use.

For all other bosses, I can get a Raining Strike, focus a sweep, pummel, and another Raining Strike when they stand up, speeding up the process.

Fancy moves doesn't seem to be working too, he weaved all my Raining Strikes, and all i can get is a light, light, heavy. I really wanna see someone do a fancy move on Yang. Maybe a backhand strike will work, but I'm not that skilled yet.
Hard disagree. Quite on the contrary, it's perfectly designed as the ultimate skill check - requires you to learn to react going against his moveset, and to alternate between evade and parry. Rather than just load up on focus gains and keep sweeping.

All the bosses are amazing as every each one has a certain weakness so to say, where you can steer your build towards... With the final boss it's the "parry impact" damage, but that one cost so much score you'd need to 5x rank most fights in a level all the way to the last upgrade statue.

I also love the fact the game makes you choose a set of skills for a build at upgrade statues, rather than let you just unlock everything in a run.

I'm going for the true ending now sub 25, I think I have a good plan for this build-wise.

Now club @20. LETS GO!

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Interesting ...so by default should we pretty much be holding on to L1 and ready to snap the left stick, and then only let go when attacking? Is that meant to be the default approach?
I only start holding L1 when I'm ready to defend an incoming attack. It's best to move around too so you don't get too surrounded

luffie

Hard disagree. Quite on the contrary, it's perfectly designed as the ultimate skill check - requires you to learn to react going against his moveset, and to alternate between evade and parry. Rather than just load up on focus gains and keep sweeping.

All the bosses are amazing as every each one has a certain weakness so to say, where you can steer your build towards... With the final boss it's the "parry impact" damage, but that one cost so much score you'd need to 5x rank most fights in a level all the way to the last upgrade statue.

I also love the fact the game makes you choose a set of skills for a build at upgrade statues, rather than let you just unlock everything in a run.

I'm going for the true ending now sub 25, I think I have a good plan for this build-wise.

Now club @20. LETS GO!
Obviously missing the point and not true. Isn't Isshin also the ultimate skill check? They sure didn't need to disable any skills you have.

Every boss is also a parry impact, you can't just load up focus and abuse it, it doesn't regenerate, you still have to parry weave, and focus only speeds up damage.

It's the same boss with any other boss except he is faster and made artificially difficult by disabling focus and any skills you bought, allowing you one linear path, which is in essence a bad design.

Yamisan

Started the game as the female and I regret it, has anyone noticed a way to change to the male model at all without starting a new game? :(

"Weaving" is only up or down, this is applicable whether the guy is punching right or left.

Most attacks are upper attacks, so you weave "down". You have to time your weave too otherwise you get hit.

With the exception of boss' special attacks, I'll just weave downwards and eat any swipes from mobs.

"Dodge" is the R2 button, which is different than weaving and less useful
Well thanks for your post because it appears you were 100% correct.

The game honestly feels 10x simpler now. You literally just hit down and you can dodge 90% of attacks. Beat level 1 at age 21. Beat level 2 at age 34. I can definitely do better on that now. I figured out the 2nd boss finally and he's not that bad.

Anyone struggling with him I would say buy the permanent upgrade for ground counter. In his 2nd form, if he gets you with the trip just get the timing down on that 2nd hit for a ground counter and it's pretty easy damage.

PanzerAzel

If retard era hates this game, this game must be amazing. claebhart42 is playing it right now gonna watch him play and see how it is (havent really payed attention to this game at all). If it's good,I'll get it tomorrow.
I have to laugh at reading their complaints.

They speak of cultural appropriation and insensitivity to the source material from which it takes, without even being cognizant that’s kind of the fucking point. The game is intentionally making an attempt to pay homage not to actual Chinese culture, but to a Westerner’s stereotypical perception of it to provide that Kung-fu power fantasy good fun brawler to those people who love that. Do they believe that they don’t understand that this, yeah…..may NOT be according it the “respect” it deserves in authenticity, and that if it did, the game it is wouldn’t even be possible?

Christ, these insufferable infants would be stupid enough to make this argument against Kill Bill. I can’t believe they’re actually serious, it’s just another avenue and excuse to hate on the big, bad white man.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
My review:

Still haven’t passed the second boss second phase/10
I passed the 2nd boss but I'm too damn old now. I've got the dodging down to a T but when he uses the sweep attack I have no idea what to do and there's not enough time to react. How is boss #2 supposed to be the hardest part of the game?

I passed the 2nd boss but I'm too damn old now. I've got the dodging down to a T but when he uses the sweep attack I have no idea what to do and there's not enough time to react. How is boss #2 supposed to be the hardest part of the game?
Even if you can't read the sweep, buy ground counter. It does very little damage. The damage comes from the 2nd hit when you're down. If you get tripped, get the timing down and hit L1. You counter the 2nd hit and get free damage. You'll get passed him easily if you get this down and have the rest of the dodging.

The best way is hold analog up while L1 is pressed/held during the sweep attack for the parry dodge where it doesn't hit you at all. Rinse and repeat till he does the move that you parry dodge and then punish him. It's only 1 or 2 moves that are punishable. Practice till you memorize it.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Here is an awesome tip the game never tells you:

You can gently drop weapons intact to the ground by pressing and holding R1.

This way you can save weapons for late into boss fights, especially if you're going for the true ending as weapons do way more damage to posture than to health.

I just made it through Kuroki sparing her at 21 this way after having a fresh baseball bat for the 2nd phase.

There aren’t enough words in the English vocabulary that can describe how much I hate the Sean boss in this shit game. That is all.

I hate the dodge mechanic in this game too, one of the worst in any game ever developed.

Last edited:

Bayo3GOTY

Neo Member
There aren’t enough words in the English vocabulary that can describe how much I hate the Sean boss in this shit game. That is all.

I hate the dodge mechanic in this game too, one of the worst in any game ever developed.
Theyre not the worst youre just bad at it. Its simple actually once you know what to do

Theyre not the worst youre just bad at it. Its simple actually once you know what to do

I know what to do but I can’t do it.

For some reason I can’t consistently getting the timing down on the swings the cunt does, and the ai in this game is overly aggressive too imo.

I have played a bunch of aggravating and frustrating games and this might just take the top spot of all those.

Last edited:

Elios83

After being a bit undecided because I'm already stressed at work and I didn't want an other super difficult game with Elden Ring on the radar....well I bought it and this game is a drug once you get into the mechanics.

The combat system is amazing, it's basically Kung-fu souls. I'm already at the final stage.
You basically have to master parrying pressing L1 at the right time and evade pressing L1+direction. If you don't get these two mechanics right you won't survive past the first level.
The game also has the same smart design of Souls games, the more you play the more you can unlock shortcuts and you can buy moves that are going to help you with specific boss fights.
Also I love that in the each level you can find items that unlock things in other levels.

And the graphics are so polished and clean on PS5 with a great artstyle.

Seriously this is the best indie game in a long time. Yeah it's not for everyone and the difficulty curve once you reach the second level is really steep but once you master it it's addicting.
Basically it's the same as Souls game. I don't see this game as harder than Sekiro or Returnal yet many journalists complained :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Elios83

It's very easy once you get it.
First phase is L1+direction at the right time to evade, once there's an opening triangle triangle.
Keep L1 always pressed when you're not attacking and evade with left stick.
Use focus actions whenever possible.
Rinse and repeat.

Second phase is the same but he has an other attack that is hard to evade and is going to put you on the ground. It's very useful to buy the skill where you counterattack with L1 when you are on the ground. You can basically turn the tables and win easily.

Last edited:
It's very easy once you get it.
First phase is L1+direction at the right time to evade, once there's an opening triangle triangle.
Keep L1 always pressed when you're not attacking and evade with left stick.
Use focus actions whenever possible.
Rinse and repeat.

Second phase is the same but he has an other attack that is hard to evade and is going to put you on the ground. It's very useful to buy the skill where you counterattack with L1 when you are on the ground. You can basically turn the tables and win easily.

I did it after way many tries at age 31 and cleared the museum after to that boss and stuck at another fight. lol this game

Elios83

I did it after way many tries at age 31 and cleared the museum after to that boss and stuck at another fight. lol this game
Each boss is a different challenge but the idea is always the same, it's a learning process.
You'll need to find when it's most effective to parry and when to evade and counterattack.
Once you buy the right skills and focus actions and you get the attack pattern it's really easy.
The second level at first seemed impossible, now I've finished it at age 24 and I can still improve a lot, I've been playing just 3 days.

Last edited:
Each boss is a different challenge but the idea is always the same, it's a learning process.
You'll need to find when it's most effective to parry and when to evade and counterattack.
Once you buy the right skills and focus actions and you get the attack pattern it's really easy.
The second level at first seemed impossible, now I've finished it at age 24 and I can still improve a lot, I've been playing just 3 days.

"really easy" yeah no it's not something i would ever describe this game as.

Elios83

"really easy" yeah no it's not something i would ever describe this game as.
Ahah well yeah it's easy if you are used to Dark Souls, Nioh, Sekiro, Returnal :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_winking_tongue: :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Obviously these games are not for everyone.

But I think it's a bit unfair that some reviews have been so harsh because of difficulty when other games are praised for it. Probably the game ended up in the hands of people who were expecting something else while everyone knows what to expect from From Software games for example.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

I don’t know how people are evading effectively, as the tells have nigh milliseconds to understand, if that, and they come at you in a rapid and unpredictable succession. Further, you’re typically surrounded by enemies who don’t wait their turn, so by the time it takes to hold L1 and analyze and evade/block incoming attacks for one, you’re doing it for three, and you need to hele your ass out of there.

I’ve read in previous posts that left and right directions aren’t used in this mechanic, but they seem to be the only ones that get the enemies to hit air that I’ve found. Up/down blocks/parries and reduces structure. Weapon wielding enemies appear to hit me/reduce structure no matter what I try.

I adore this combat system and find it absolutely brilliant, however I do find the line between the skill required and the affordance the devs give the player in interpreting the incoming attacks to implement that skill a bit too uncompromising, especially when it’s built around an aging mechanism that directly punishes progression.

Got to the level 3 boss and got obliterated. The later part of that level is pretty much one of the coolest parts of the game. Loved it.

luffie

I don’t know how people are evading effectively, as the tells have nigh milliseconds to understand, if that, and they come at you in a rapid and unpredictable succession. Further, you’re typically surrounded by enemies who don’t wait their turn, so by the time it takes to hold L1 and analyze and evade/block incoming attacks for one, you’re doing it for three, and you need to hele your ass out of there.

I’ve read in previous posts that left and right directions aren’t used in this mechanic, but they seem to be the only ones that get the enemies to hit air that I’ve found. Up/down blocks/parries and reduces structure. Weapon wielding enemies appear to hit me/reduce structure no matter what I try.

I adore this combat system and find it absolutely brilliant, however I do find the line between the skill required and the affordance the devs give the player in interpreting the incoming attacks to implement that skill a bit too uncompromising, especially when it’s built around an aging mechanism that directly punishes progression.
Weaving (L1+analog) is not as tight as parrying. Basically when you are hitting somebody, the moment you somebody wants to hit you, you can start weaving, there's no need to wait till the strike is about to hit.

Most of the time, this will not only gives you combo meter, it allows you to immediately counter that 2nd opponent. Of course when another 3rd guy starts coming, block and dodge to keep away. More often than not, I realize my deaths come from being greedy and not using the space enough.

Learn to combo and insert the regular swipe, it will down enemies if it is not used as first hit. And when they are down , don't be tempted to hit them, let them be and used that opportunity to give you space to beat other guys without getting ganged upon. Because if you hit a downed enemy, you immediately bring them back up.

How many hours put everyone into the game since release?
First play through was 4 hours and 19 minutes, second one was over 3 hours(I forget the minutes), 3rd play through with no deaths and sparing the bosses was 2 hours and 35 minutes. Uninstalled the game I got all I wanted out of it unless they drop some extra levels via DLC. Great game

Weaving (L1+analog) is not as tight as parrying. Basically when you are hitting somebody, the moment you somebody wants to hit you, you can start weaving, there's no need to wait till the strike is about to hit.

Most of the time, this will not only gives you combo meter, it allows you to immediately counter that 2nd opponent. Of course when another 3rd guy starts coming, block and dodge to keep away. More often than not, I realize my deaths come from being greedy and not using the space enough.

Learn to combo and insert the regular swipe, it will down enemies if it is not used as first hit. And when they are down , don't be tempted to hit them, let them be and used that opportunity to give you space to beat other guys without getting ganged upon. Because if you hit a downed enemy, you immediately bring them back up.
The thing with weaving and parrying is if you get the upgrade in the middle of the screen that gives you extra focus after successful weave/parry + you max out your focus gauge it'll make the first 4 bosses easy as cake.....permanently unlock the strong sweep and the snap kick where you lunge forward and the games difficulty plummets.

luffie

The thing with weaving and parrying is if you get the upgrade in the middle of the screen that gives you extra focus after successful weave/parry + you max out your focus gauge it'll make the first 4 bosses easy as cake.....permanently unlock the strong sweep and the snap kick where you lunge forward and the games difficulty plummets.
I'm not sure about Snap Kick, since i seldom find the need to rush forward to attack, but Raining Strikes is a powerful and easy to use combo.

With 2 bars of Focus, it can be very fast to kill the earlier bosses. Basically Raining Strikes, then add light attack combos, then sweep the boss, and another Raining Strikes when he/stands and another light attack combos, this is one Focus bar.

For normal mobs, it's very very powerful, in fact too powerful for bosses 2nd phases as I often end up killing the bosses without getting to spare them.

I'm not sure about Snap Kick, since i seldom find the need to rush forward to attack, but Raining Strikes is a powerful and easy to use combo.

With 2 bars of Focus, it can be very fast to kill the earlier bosses. Basically Raining Strikes, then add light attack combos, then sweep the boss, and another Raining Strikes when he/stands and another light attack combos, this is one Focus bar.

For normal mobs, it's very very powerful, in fact too powerful for bosses 2nd phases as I often end up killing the bosses without getting to spare them.
I might reinstall it and try the raining strikes I just ignored it. I got the upgrades I pointed out and I just run through the game with timing the weave/parry, punish with the heavy combo(After I figured out defense I literally never used a light attack combo again lol), weave/parry, sweep/ground pound rinse/repeat lol. Did a no death run/spare bosses that way for my 3rd playthrough before uninstalling it

The raining strikes definitely looks cool so ima check that one out and implement it.

Last edited:

xion4360

I played so much in two days, but I now almost finished the game.

I got all the collectibles, skills permanently unlocked and the alternate ending. Im just missing the trophy for beating the final boss at age 25 or less. I think I can do it now that I got most of the bosses figured out, but stage 2 is a problem because you have to go through so much of it before reaching the boss that its hard to not die before getting there and then also not die in the boss which is one of the more aggressive ones for sure. :messenger_grimmacing_ This might be the hardest game Ive ever played because I tend to not go for difficult stuff, but man its so good. The final boss is so killer.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
Got to the level 3 boss and got obliterated. The later part of that level is pretty much one of the coolest parts of the game. Loved it.
The entire museum part looked so clean and beautiful, especially loved those throwable light bulb exhibits.

For the boss, it's all patience, you have to wait for them to do the attack where they do a flip. You can also spam L1 when they're doing the spinny attack, which gives a lot of focus.

xion4360 xion4360 Not sure if you know but you can skip the majority of levels if you have already played through them. In the club, you just take the door on the right of the dance floor using the keycard you collected from a previous run and boom that's half the stage. You can also skip a lot of fights just by using dialogue, it's hilarious.

Last edited:

luffie

I might reinstall it and try the raining strikes I just ignored it. I got the upgrades I pointed out and I just run through the game with timing the weave/parry, punish with the heavy combo(After I figured out defense I literally never used a light attack combo again lol), weave/parry, sweep/ground pound rinse/repeat lol. Did a no death run/spare bosses that way for my 3rd playthrough before uninstalling it

The raining strikes definitely looks cool so ima check that one out and implement it.
yeah, Raining Strikes is one of the easiest combo, just 2 heavy attacks with a pause in between, for mobs you can slip in regular sweep after that. The only catch is you can't use it on final boss.... at least I've never successfully hit him with it.

Top Bottom