• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Out of the recent batch, isn't this the only example of an actual bad one? I know people bemoan the sub-HD nature of the Jak & Daxter collection, but it sounded like everything else about it was top notch.

I think the PoP and Splinter Cell collections were kinda shit too

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What a nightmare. Leading up to release everything seemed to be going smoothly(aside from VA snafu), but technically I never imagined the scenario currently happening would have been a thing.

Really feel for the naive impulse consumers that will purchase unaware. Does Sony/MS not have certification in place to prevent this sort of scenario?

I'm not going to lie. I do like Mary McGlynn doing Maria's voice in SH2. She has that deep, sultry voice that's perfect for Maria.

I wish we could mix McGlynn's Maria with Guy Cihi's James. The new Angela sounds really good too.

But the new James just doesn't match him at all. His voice is just way too deep and gruffy.

Been a fan of SH for a long time but been as usual mostly sitting this out until we can see what happened with the actual product rather than be pulled around by hype/promises. Sounds like even the 360 version isn't impressive enough to keep me from just throwing SH3 back in the PS2 (hooked up again for Drakengard 2). Maybe pick it up discounted later and on whim. Unfortunate.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
i have Silent Hill 2 for the x box and it plays on the 360. i want to get Silent Hill HD Collection for Silent Hill 3. just asking how how dose Silent Hill HD Collection compere to the x box Silent Hill 2 running on the 360 emulation. i know there bugs for Silent Hill 2. Silent Hill HD Collection that bad or would i be better playing Silent Hill 2 on the 360 emulation?

Teknoman

I just tweeted Jim Sterling a few times, this really needs to be brought to light.

I Tweeted Max Scoville this thread and he replied with: "ew gross NeoGAF"

Better than nothing I guess?

UPDATE:

Jim just replied to me with with: "Already on it. It's an utter farce." on twitter, hopefully he tears it a new one.

Alright cool.

Levito

Banned
heh.jpg

OHDAMNLOL.gif

Persona7

Banned
What the shit, when you leave the Hilltop center on your way to daisy villa that entire outdoor section runs in slow motion. It is funny watching the run animation play out in slow motion.

My friend said he is going to send this game back to amazon on monday, hopefully we can beat it by then.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
i have Silent Hill 2 for the x box and it plays on the 360. i want to get Silent Hill HD Collection for Silent Hill 3. just asking how how dose Silent Hill HD Collection compere to the x box Silent Hill 2 running on the 360 emulation. i know there bugs for Silent Hill 2. Silent Hill HD Collection that bad or would i be better playing Silent Hill 2 on the 360 emulation?

Whoa, it does!? I did not know this. I might grab a cheap copy just to have it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I've never played silent hill apart from the wii version but would like to. Would you guys recommend these despite them not being very good ports?

The ports are barely acceptable to those of us who are long-time fans of the series and already own/have played the original versions of the games, but for newcomers who haven't played SH 2 and 3 before, this compilation should be avoided.

Levito

Banned
I had a brief exchange with Jim Sterling from Destructoid about this collection.

7SSSg.png

Hopefully this will help the situation somehow.

kunonabi

I'm not going to lie. I do like Mary McGlynn doing Maria's voice in SH2. She has that deep, sultry voice that's perfect for Maria.

I wish we could mix McGlynn's Maria with Guy Cihi's James. The new Angela sounds really good too.

But the new James just doesn't match him at all. His voice is just way too deep and gruffy.

I mostly like the angela better but she doesn't do the reverted child like state as well and she comes off as little too sinister during her taunting voice.

New James is missing all sorts of nuance that was there in the original performance. I know Guy wasn't a professional and there were some rough patches but he still had quite a few subtle touches and layers to his performance that I'm just not seeing out of the new guy. I think it is mostly a problem with lackluster voice direction than it is the actors. That said the new voicework is not worth suffering through the rewrites and all the other problems in the HD collection.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Tons of graphical glitches when running Silent Hill 2 on 360 through backwards compatibility: http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=sh2360

Thanks for the heads-up.

I've become a hardcore-crazy minimalist, so I ditched my PS2 and older consoles a little while ago. I'll have to settle for the PS3 version, I guess.

I was running through Rosewater Park and I could hear my PS3 chug-chug-chugging to stream data as James started sloooowwwwwiiiiiinnnng doooooowwwwwwwn. This was after the patch, too. Really bizarre.

I really hope there's a 1.2 patch that patches the patch so the patch is—arrgh, it's Skyrim all over again!

Persona7

Banned
Konami Customer Support Center

The Konami Customer Support Portal is currently undergoing maintenance.

For all support inquiries, please email us at CustomerSupport@kde-us.com or please call 310.220.8330. Customer Support is available Monday-Friday, between the hours of 8:30am PST and 5pm PST.

iLW0u.png

Audioboxer

I really wonder why Kojima doesn't go elsewhere or start his own company before Konami get any worse. Although MGS4 certainly had some annoying technical issues (installs every few chapters?... but yeah I know early PS3 cycle).

sleepykyo

What a nightmare. Leading up to release everything seemed to be going smoothly(aside from VA snafu), but technically I never imagined the scenario currently happening would have been a thing.

Really feel for the naive impulse consumers that will purchase unaware. Does Sony/MS not have certification in place to prevent this sort of scenario?
If Sony rejected games based on frame rates or stuttering‚ there wouldn´t be any releases on the system . Well SC5´s frame rate seems ok.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Okay I bought this day 1 and am bummed. I was running, with James, just down a sidewalk, and the camera was moving more slowly than his run speed, so he was jittering in and out of his run animation, like I was rapidly oscillating the run button while moving.

I'm pretty sure this didn't happen in the PS2 version, yes?

I can't believe RE4 and Re:CV got a better HD port, but one that never came out on disk, while SH 2 and 3 get the shoddy port, but you can get it on disk. A disk forever marred with shitty programs that need patches to run well at all.

What a fucked up world in which we live in.

BHK3

Banned
I can't understand how there's a...install? For 10 year old games? Isn't it the only collection with an install?

I can't understand how there's a...install? For 10 year old games? Isn't it the only collection with an install?

Prince of Persia: HD Collection has an install because while it's a disc version in the EU, on the US they were released individually as downloads. So the data is technically installed to the console and the disc's only used to access the games. You can't change games without quitting, like some collections.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Out of the recent batch, isn't this the only example of an actual bad one? I know people bemoan the sub-HD nature of the Jak & Daxter collection, but it sounded like everything else about it was top notch.

Metal gear Collection have many problems and bugs, POP and Splinter Cell are shit, GOW origins and RE CV and 4 HD look like crap, Jak sub HD, Legend and Anniversary in Tomb Raider Trilogy run at 30fps..ect ,The quality controls on these HD ports sure went to hell and do not worth the money at all, ICO/SOTC HD collection was good (still not perfect) but it should be the standard not the exception.

I'm bummed that all this bad reception probably means SH4 and Origins won't ever get brought over. I've been wanting to play those, but 4 was a mess when I tested it on PC, and I don't have a PS2 to play Origins on. Maybe they'll let another developer do those down the road... wishful thinking. :\

I'm enjoying this on 360 regardless, feels fine and I'm not picky about the graphical differences, though this probably should have been advertised and branded as a remix/re-release or something instead of an HD collection, would have been more accurate.

Feel bad for you PS3 dudes, though. It's sad to see companies continually getting away with releasing stuff that broken on a particular system just because it's fine on others. Reviewers should really be hammering down on that shit up front instead of giving games a pass and then making a fuss a few days/weeks later when they realize something is wrong with the version they didn't play and everyone has already bought it.

Ridley327

Metal gear Collection have many problems and bugs, POP and Splinter Cell are shit, GOW origins and RE CV and 4 HD look like crap, Jak sub HD, Legend and Anniversary in Tomb Raider Trilogy run at 30fps..ect ,The quality controls on these HD ports sure went to hell and do not worth the money at all, ICO/SOTC HD collection was good (still not perfect) but it should be the standard not the exception.

I have MGS HD Collection and I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to "many problems and bugs," and I know for a fact that GoW Origins was praised for going the extra mile of making those games look significantly better than how they appeared on the PSP.

sajj316

What was wrong with GOW Origins?

Sucks for those that bought this collection.

UrbanRats

ICO/SOTC HD collection was good (still not perfect) but it should be the standard not the exception.

SotC has allegedly borked controls, actually.
Took me an hour to beat the 3rd colossus, but i should put in the ps2 version to see if it's just my imagination.
Anyway other users seem to have a similar problem (Jett and others).

Anyway, so far i've bought BG&E HD, which was ok and the sotc/ico collection, which is also very worthed for me (worst controls and all).

Okay, so I have the 360 version preordered for the Zavvi t-shirt seen here:

http://thehut.pantherssl.com/design-assets/products/10480723/pic1l.jpg

I want the shirt, but is the consensus to then sell the fuck out of the game without even opening it? Shame as I'd kind of like to play them again and sold my PS2 versions a few months ago due to the arrival of this (don't have PS2 set up anymore), but if the ports are THAT bad with no redemption in sight...

DSmalls84

So did they decide to leave the original voice overs as an option? Started playing my ps3 version and noticed they had it as an option, but thought I heard they wouldn't be included before release. Also it was all downhill after I exited the bathroom :(. Barely fog in the opening area and then stuttering in every area after.

Okay, so I have the 360 version preordered for the Zavvi t-shirt seen here:

http://thehut.pantherssl.com/design-assets/products/10480723/pic1l.jpg

I want the shirt, but is the consensus to then sell the fuck out of the game without even opening it? Shame as I'd kind of like to play them again and sold my PS2 versions a few months ago due to the arrival of this (don't have PS2 set up anymore), but if the ports are THAT bad with no redemption in sight...

Take a look at the differences and see if they are things that matter to you or not. The 360 version works fine despite the graphical changes, where the PS3 version is totally broken.

So did they decide to leave the original voice overs as an option? Started playing my ps3 version and noticed they had it as an option, but thought I heard they wouldn't be included before release. Also it was all downhill after I exited the bathroom :(. Barely fog in the opening area and then stuttering in every area after.

Only in SH2.

kunonabi

original voices are an option for SH2. SH3 is all new and partially rewritten and is a significant downgrade.

Beth Cyra

Despite Shattered Memories becoming my fav Silent Hill I couldn't resist the idea of 2/3 in Hd so I grabbed a 360 copy, didn't know about the issues though. Is it bad enough we should take a refund if unopened?

Top Bottom