• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD worse than imagined

NinjaBoiX

Someone send this man a PS2 and the games. :(

In the video they say something like "if you have a computer made this century you can run at the games at the same or better resolution".

Are you sure you don't have a PC? Like at all?
I do, but it's my dad's, I only get to use it occasionally. Without all these HD collections, I'd happily buy a PS2, but SH would be the only thing I'd be buying one for.

We should start a Bluepoint kickstarter, as I sweetener, I'll even buy them the retail discs to rip the ISO's from. At least we'd get all the eligible games!

RyL

Banned
I'm a long-time follower of fungo and his crew. Their videos are always well produced. It must take ages to plan & edit them, so hats off. The humour doesn't bother me and I also think it's somehwat necessary in my opinion, because taking such trivial things like videogames too seriously would be just... wrong.

That being said, I REALLY dislike the condescending attitude and the one-sidedness of all their "the real silent hill experience" videos. I can't stand the way they belittle people who disagree with them. This makes them more dubious and questionable than the ones they criticise. (one of the reasons I disliked the new Senna documentary, they made Alain Prost look like Hitler even though Senna himself was no saint)

Don't get me wrong! Almost all the points they made are legit and there is really no excuse for how the final product turned out, but I think they could be a little bit more diplomatic about their criticism. It's not like Konami & everyone involved did that on purpose. The fandom (for lack of a better term) is what destroys their videos. This always happens when people take their hobbies way too seriously. It comes off as if they are projecting really hard, and they do to some degree. Like saying the clunky controls and bad combat are intentional to make the character more believable. Really? I doubt that this was the case. Japanese games always had clunky, counter-intuitive controls. In fact, they still have to some degree. Go play Yakuza Dead Souls, MGS4 or RE5 with the standard Japanese controller layout. There are better gameplay mechanics to make the main character more vulnerable than making the controls deliberately clunky. I don't know why the fans defend this so much. The game was released back in 2001, even most western games used tank-controls back then. Developers didn't know better. I don't even think they are that bad to be honest.

The story-telling is fantastic in SH 2 & 3, but the story and the writing itself is rather subpar at best. It has this Japanese thing going on with being convoluted just for the sake of being convoluted. Some statments from Team Silent made it obvious that not even the people who created the game understand the story completely. I'm not saying it was an afterthought but definitely lacking polish compared to the brillant rest. Which is a real shame because the mature, complex themes were and still are unique in gaming.
But hey, it's not Hideo Kojima bad!
http://youtu.be/PSJVSNhqa-s
http://youtu.be/7kNrIn8H32c
Kojima confused about the mgs storyline.

I think the clunky controls and weird voice acting (wasn't weird to me... maybe because I'm not a native English speaker) are 'lucky accidents' which just happen to fit the game perfectly.

back on-topic,
I'll never understand the people who put some much energy into disliking/hating things. Maybe because I'm quite indifferent to trivial things like entertainment media even though I'm quite passionate about games, movies & music. (almost an oxymoron) If I dislike something, all I do is shrug and be like "okaaay" and move on.
All the humour in the world doesn't help when you act like an arse.

Antisocialfatman's SH2 review is spot on!
http://youtu.be/N2BeUejtoBY

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just want to say I finally watched this. I thought part 1, which was a nice breakdown of the horribleness of the port, was extremely well done. Part 2 just came off as a little mean to me. Well, parts of part 2.

Their Tom Hullet voice is amazing though.

jimi_dini

Part 2 just came off as a little mean to me. Well, parts of part 2.

I can understand it, though.

I mean look at what people are doing because George Lucas changed stuff in the original Star Wars movies + created the prequel movies. And George Lucas was at least the original creator.

The whole HD collection is embarrassing. I can't wrap my head around it. How could anyone release it like this? Why didn't they at least searched out all the voice actors and released it with both games containing the original voices?

Why didn't they give it out to Blue Point to make a proper HD collection? - noone can tell me that Konami didn't know how the porting process went.

Why didn't they pull it from the market and refund customers?

I would have really loved to play Silent Hill2+3 as proper HD releases. But I knew how this would end long before it got released. So I bought another copy of SH2 on PS2 to get the European Making-Of DVD disc (I sold it previously because they released SH2 on PS2 in a version that included Restless Dreams.

Hearing all the crap Tomm Hulett, Mary McGlynn and Troy Baker said/wrote makes me really angry. McGlynn is such a horrible person. And she doesn't even know what she is talking about - "being cast as Mary and Marie" smh - and such people were allowed to ruin this collection. I can't believe it. And Tomm Hulett calling himself the biggest fan of Silent Hill. What a joke.

Razek

Banned
Just want to say I finally watched this. I thought part 1, which was a nice breakdown of the horribleness of the port, was extremely well done. Part 2 just came off as a little mean to me. Well, parts of part 2.

Their Tom Hullet voice is amazing though.

It was a fake? I thought they stole it from a cast or something.

Cels

i would love for them to actually try again and do it justice this time, at least get up to MGS HD/God of War quality.

Hoplatee

Why didn't they pull it from the market and refund customers?

They did offer some refund. Sorta. I believe you can get some free Konami game if you can prove you bought it before a certain date or something like that. People who buy it now are screwed I guess. It was on GAF a while ago but can't find the thread atm. It does not make it any better though!

But yeah, I agree with what you said.

The silly and stupid part in me wants to buy this when it reaches 10 euro or something. I have to experience this mess for myself!

Hearing all the crap Tomm Hulett, Mary McGlynn and Troy Baker said/wrote makes me really angry. McGlynn is such a horrible person. And she doesn't even know what she is talking about - "being cast as Mary and Marie" smh - and such people were allowed to ruin this collection. I can't believe it. And Tomm Hulett calling himself the biggest fan of Silent Hill. What a joke.

you know, i loved hearing her in the sh soundtracks (even though i didn't play any game after 3) but after hearing all the shit she says in those videos, i feel like i don't even like her tracks anymore. it kind of feels like betrayal to me, it's kinda of weird i know, but that woman is dead to me. she has no respect for the franchise and doesn't even understand it. hadn't even heard of hulett and baker before this hd fiasco, but it's incredible how people can lie through the whole process.
sh2 wasn't perfect, but it was silent hill 2. it is one of my most treasured gaming experiences. it's really sad that people like this were allowed to trample all over one of gaming's finest moments. videogames really have a long way to go *sigh*

you know, i loved hearing her in the sh soundtracks (even though i didn't play any game after 3) but after hearing all the shit she says in those videos, i feel like i don't even like her tracks anymore. it kind of feels like betrayal to me, it's kinda of weird i know, but that woman is dead to me. she has no respect for the franchise and doesn't even understand it. hadn't even heard of hulett and baker before this hd fiasco, but it's incredible how people can lie through the whole process.
sh2 wasn't perfect, but it was silent hill 2. it is one of my most treasured gaming experiences. it's really sad that people like this were allowed to trample all over one of gaming's finest moments. videogames really have a long way to go *sigh*

You probably shouldn't watch this concert then from a week or two ago

http://youtu.be/qgs53vA-cX4

Yep even Troy Barker ... :lol

Lime

You probably shouldn't watch this concert then from a week or two ago

http://youtu.be/qgs53vA-cX4

Yep even Troy Barker ... :lol

iblkde8c40kumxc6aei.gif

Troy Baker was hilarious though, especially at 5:50.

Top Bottom