• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley Is Not Your Friend (NYT)

entremet

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...y/Silicon-Valley-Is-Not-Your-Friend.html?_r=0

LATE last month, Mark Zuckerberg wrote a brief post on Facebook at the conclusion of Yom Kippur, asking his friends for forgiveness not just for his personal failures but also for his professional ones, especially ”the ways my work was used to divide people rather than bring us together." He was heeding the call of the Jewish Day of Atonement to take stock of the year just passed as he pledged that he would ”work to do better."

Such a somber, self-critical statement hasn't been typical for the usually sunny Mr. Zuckerberg, who once exhorted his employees at Facebook to ”move fast and break things." In the past, why would Mr. Zuckerberg, or any of his peers, have felt the need to atone for what they did at the office? For making incredibly cool sites that seamlessly connect billions of people to their friends as well as to a global storehouse of knowledge?

Lately, however, the sins of Silicon Valley-led disruption have become impossible to ignore.

Facebook has endured a drip, drip of revelations concerning Russian operatives who used its platform to influence the 2016 presidential election by stirring up racist anger. Google had a similar role in carrying targeted, inflammatory messages during the election, and this summer, it appeared to play the heavy when an important liberal think tank, New America, cut ties with a prominent scholar who is critical of the power of digital monopolies. Some within the organization questioned whether he was dismissed to appease Google and its executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, both longstanding donors, though New America's executive president and a Google representative denied a connection.

Meanwhile, Amazon, with its purchase of the Whole Foods supermarket chain and the construction of brick-and-mortar stores, pursues the breathtakingly lucrative strategy of parlaying a monopoly position online into an offline one, too.

Kinda preaching to the choir here lol.

While I do enjoy a lot of these platforms--IG, FB, Amazon for shopping--the massive amount of information and influence (2016 US Presidential Elections) these companies have is growing and growing. I don't believe legislation is the answer since these companies move way too fast for our current governments to catch up with them.

In the tech space, stuff like Amazon Web Services is a huge player, and many aren't even aware of it since it's really mostly backend infrastructure. This is same company decimating retail and now entering groceries. That's massive power and reach.

I do wonder what Amazon will be 20 years from now. But alone with Google and FB, they make old school AT&T, which was broken up as the baby bells, look rather tame in influence.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like I should point out that selling ads meant to influence US elections to foreign countries and actors is already illegal. Facebook just had no desire to abide by said law since there was money to be made.

Top Bottom