• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity modded so it can be played offline indefinitely + editing of highways

Haunted

Code:
        kNoRepeatNetworkAlertSeconds : 15,
        [b]kNetDownForceQuitAfterMinutes : 20,[/b]
lmao
rqd7KgK.gif

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Of course I won't dispute that part. I just don't think the programmers should be blamed for writing code according to specifications from their evil overlords.
Oh definitely not.

This programming quote fits:
Nathaniel Borenstein said:
It should be noted that no ethically-trained software engineer would ever consent to write a DestroyBaghdad procedure. Basic professional ethics would instead require him to write a DestroyCity procedure, to which Baghdad could be given as a parameter.

beje

Banned
How much until Polygon becomes a banned site? "Rebooting games journalism" (or whatever it was) yeah, my ass.

How's that job application on EA PR department going, Gies?

Sibylus

Banned
How much until Polygon becomes a banned site? "Rebooting games journalism" (or whatever it was) yeah, my ass.

How's that job application on EA PR department going, Gies?
You misunderstood, they never said the reboot would be for good!

I'm available if you need a snaky PR spokeswoman, Arthur.

Mr_Moogle

HSIo0nF.jpg

It was a rather fun game. Not nearly as cool as SimCity2000 but it seems much more in line with the goals this new SimCity seems to strive for.

I freaking loved this game. I know it was Sim City-lite but I was always terrible at SC2000 so I liked the simplified design.

Also was a big fan of Sim Farm back in the day. Watching my strawberry fields come into bloom was probably the first time I ever had a therapeutic gaming moment.

51Z6ARQHFXL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I freaking loved this game. I know it was Sim City-lite but I was always terrible at SC2000 so I liked the simplified design.

Also was a big fan of Sim Farm back in the day. Watching my strawberry fields come into bloom was probably the first time I ever had a therapeutic gaming moment.

A SimFarm will be perfect to fill the empty zone between cities in SimCity!

I want this so badly.

Sorry guys but I still a supporter of this last game.

$39.99 expansion (already on disc)

This is getting boring.

Internet already won, stop it and try to enjoy this.

A Sim Farm expansion at 29,99 will be soooo good. Hope they low a little the price of Expansion Pack compared to TheSims.

Btw, since the launch day I spent over 80 hours with SimCity. Fuck me what a horrible game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This is getting boring.

Internet already won, stop it and try to enjoy this.

A Sim Farm expansion at 29,99 will be soooo good. Hope they low a little the price of Expansion Pack compared to TheSims.

Btw, since the launch day I spent over 80 hours with SimCity. Fuck me what a horrible game.
You so realized that its not the issue whether or not you envoyed the game, right? Just making sure.

You so realized that its not the issue whether or not you envoyed the game, right? Just making sure.

What you mean? There's a lot of bugs and thing to do for let the game really shine, but still an awesome citybuilder, one of the best since SimCity4.

Yes, you can make a slum with 200k people and no factory (you can do that in every simcity)
Yes, the pathfinder can be better but you can build a 100k+ people without traffic.
Yes, the zone is small compared with the past games but there's a lot more gameplay inside this tiny terrain than SimCity4, where the difficult drop below zero after a couple of hours (and I love SimCIty4, i have this installed in every computer since 2003).

Those who playing SimCity love the game, even if they hate it.

sohois

Oh man, are we discussing our favourite Sim games now? My first experience with the Sim series was when my parents bought us a '3-pack' containing Sim City 2000, Sim Tower & Sim Isle. They were all sweet, though I was pretty young when this happened and was never too good at playing them.

Sim Tower really made a guy fucking hate Santa. That guy turns up and you know you're gonna spend the next 20 minutes going through every condo, changing the price from 200'000 to 50'000 and then back again. That bastard. Never did get to the top and build the cathedral in Sim Tower.

My defining memory of Sim Isle was sending agents to deal with the local drug cartel. A few minutes later you see a little helicopter flying piece of wood back, with the message that the agent is being sent home in a box. 'twas pretty grim.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What you mean? There's a lot of bugs and thing to do for let the game really shine, but still an awesome citybuilder, one of the best since SimCity4.

Yes, you can make a slum with 200k people and no factory (you can do that in every simcity)
Yes, the pathfinder can be better but you can build a 100k+ people without traffic.
Yes, the zone is small compared with the past games but there's a lot more gameplay inside this tiny terrain than SimCity4, where the difficult drop below zero after a couple of hours (and I love SimCIty4, i have this installed in every computer since 2003).

Those who playing SimCity love the game, even if they hate it.

The thing is that this whole issue revolves around way more than just people playing the game. Its about anti-consumer practices and EA/Maxis shitting consumers in the face. People are way too lenient all the time with draconian DRM measures amongst other things. Even if the game turns decent within a few months, people should still boycott the statement that EA is putting out here.

"People dont want to play our game offline!"
"Its not possible to restructure our game to play it offline!"
"Lets censor the support phone number in the forums!"
"Lets ship a game that people will still buy even though it needs 1 year more of development."
"You can follow through the daily live of your Sims!"

and all the other issues. I am not saying people arent allowed to like the game. I am just saying that EVEN if people are liking the game, more people should boycott it as a measure against what EA is pulling here.

People can do all the boycott campaign you want but please not over the shoulders of the dev. This for me is unfair and... evil, just like EA.

Make a thread about DRM not one just to shovel shit over a game like a child.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that your progress in the game can't be saved if you lose your internet connection because it relies on the cloud. Isn't timing out and disconnecting a good thing then? Five minutes would of course be better than 20 minutes. And with local saves that synced to the cloud this wouldn't be an issue at all.

Well thats just the thing, Simcity 5 already DOES save the game locally, it's just saved in a temporary file in an obscure temp directory. This temp save is what is uploaded to the cloud during gameplay. The Glassbox engine also deletes this temp save upon engine shutdown or loss of internet connection. Also, the game does not load from this temp save, the save is only used for uploading to the cloud.

So, the only thing the modders need to do here is:

1. prevent Glassbox from deleting this temporary save at all

2. redirect the game to load from the stored save instead of the cloud

Once they do that, bam offline play with saves, at least for a single city. What isn't clear yet is whether or not the entire region will sync up when this is done. I haven't read if that has been discovered yet or not. But with the ease of access to modding this game (due to it using the same format as Sims 3) and the modders verocity at working with it already, I'm betting it won't take long to find out.

It really does sound like the modding community are going to town with this game though. I'm getting the impression they want to fix it up properly, lol.

solarus

Guys are all the major gaming sites actually going to pick this up for once, or just stay ignorant again. I think the latter.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

No, just no.

People can do all the boycott campaign you want but please not over the shoulders of the dev. This for me is unfair and... evil, just like EA.

You do know that DRM isn't the only problem of this game right? And you do know that the devs have been working for EA right?

This game is far more broken than CitiesXL and that one has some really weird bugs. Are you telling me that a game with pathfinding stupidity, lying populations, very limited in scale of size, and the like is better?

Yes, because CitiesXL, a game I brought when the MONTHLY FEE AND THE ONLINE was required, is a good attempt but with a very simple and boring gameplay. The city is big but feel completely uncanny.

Still love the roads tool and the parks with the autofill function.

SimCity is a joy to play, a joy designed to improve month after month. With DLC too.

Cities XL is actually DEAD.

About the population... like ALL the simulation I played since my first 286 in SimCity there's an approximation and imperfection in the gameplay. What a shock!
The point of view Maxis has choosed for this game is the right one to reinvent the genre, of course this is the first game with this brand new engine and this involves problems.

Toma

Considering the amount of missteps and blatant lying this launch produced, there is nothing childish about pointing out those problems. Its too bad Maxis is involved in this, but they also played their part. This whole game/launch is a disaster, even if you personally find the game fun. Its sometimes hard to separate ones love for a game and fair criticism. Because I am sure that people are able to have fun with this game. But the less people support it, the likelier it is for EA/Maxis to rethink their development focus. If we dont WANT any of these issues, people should vote with their wallets.

About the population... like ALL the simulation I played since my first 286 in SimCity there's an approximation and imperfection in the gameplay. What a shock!
The point of view Maxis has choosed for this game is the right one to reinvent the genre, of course this is the first game with this brand new engine and this involves problems.

As I just said, please take a step back from this thread and consider what all of this actually means for the consumer. You feel like the whole issue is a personal attack to you and obviously cant think objectively about these issues. As I said earlier: Sure it might not be a super bad game per se, but thats not the issue here.

You feel like the whole issue is a personal attack to you and obviously cant think objectively about these issues.

No at all! Funny, I think who act like this is a personal attack is you. :D

I'm not offended about this shitstorm, I simply think is unfair.
You blame SimCity but let pass undisturbed CitiesXL, a game born with always online and a monthly fee, full of bugs and without a lot of features, the most important one too: GEM.

Edit: Sorry Toma, with CitiesXL i was talking to Boss Doggie.

Toma

No at all! Funny, I think who act like this is a personal attack is you. :D

I'm not offended about this shitstorm, I simply think is unfair.
You blame SimCity but let pass undisturbed CitiesXL, a game born with always online and a monthly fee, full of bugs and without a lot of features, the most important one too: GEM.

Edit: Sorry Toma, with CitiesXL i was talking to Boss Doggie.

I wouldnt dare to make that comparison, because if I agree with you on one thing its that the basic idea behind the new SimCity looks inherently more fun to me than how CitiesXL works and I also dont want to state what other people are allowed to find fun or not.

The problem is that EVEN if its fun (And my personal "fun factor" is seriously jeopardized by the fact that the AI is basically non-existant atm and works more like a vacuum cleaner), its the whole issue of every problem surrounding this launch. I mean sure, I feel sorry for single developers that had no choice but to go with whatever the management said. But at some point, people need to be able to say "ENOUGH". The big players in the industry are trying to get people to swallow anti-consumer methods step by step. And usually people swallow it.

This game shouldnt have been released a year too early. And people outright lied to consumers about why certain "features" are in this game. We shouldnt support companies lying to us or is that something you want even more to happen? By giving money to a company, we are saying "This is what we want" and that seems to be more of a reflex these days than a conscious decision.

vareon

Nostalgia shivers. Dat feel when you have a successful almond harvest.

Boss Doggie

Yes, because CitiesXL, a game I brought when the MONTHLY FEE AND THE ONLINE was required, is a good attempt but with a very simple and boring gameplay. The city is big but feel completely uncanny.

Still love the roads tool and the parks with the autofill function.

SimCity is a joy to play, a joy designed to improve month after month. With DLC too.

Cities XL is actually DEAD.

Mind you I was referring to the unbroken game of 2011 that didn't need online. 2012 and the original iteration can go to hell. Then again I bought the game at a sale so I didn't feel jipped if there's any consolation. :p

The problems I pointed are pretty much terrible that they affect simulation. SC4 never had these problems. Approximation yes, but it's not in an absurd amount that there's a huge gap. And hell, at least SC4 didn't try to make it so that the sims lose their appointed jobs and such. That's the point that I am getting. Yes they are trying new, but at the same time they have an old one to use as basis for this new. Hell, they even lied details.

This isn't more about personal enjoyment but rather making a statement at the publishers, because if things like this are being churned, then they'll definitely not learn anything.

Mind you I was referring to the unbroken game of 2011 that didn't need online. 2012 and the original iteration can go to hell. Then again I bought the game at a sale so I didn't feel jipped if there's any consolation. :p

The problems I pointed are pretty much terrible that they affect simulation. SC4 never had these problems. Approximation yes, but it's not in an absurd amount that there's a huge gap. And hell, at least SC4 didn't try to make it so that the sims lose their appointed jobs and such. That's the point that I am getting. Yes they are trying new, but at the same time they have an old one to use as basis for this new. Hell, they even lied details.

This isn't more about personal enjoyment but rather making a statement at the publishers, because if things like this are being churned, then they'll definitely not learn anything.

The traffic flow in SC4 was broken until the first and last expansion came out.
Actually the game still broken in so many ways.

Boss Doggie

Eh, the only problem I see in SC4 is the traffic flow, which is fixed by a mod. At least Sims stay where they live and work at where they work.

mackattk

Oh man, are we discussing our favourite Sim games now? My first experience with the Sim series was when my parents bought us a '3-pack' containing Sim City 2000, Sim Tower & Sim Isle. They were all sweet, though I was pretty young when this happened and was never too good at playing them.

Sim Tower really made a guy fucking hate Santa. That guy turns up and you know you're gonna spend the next 20 minutes going through every condo, changing the price from 200'000 to 50'000 and then back again. That bastard. Never did get to the top and build the cathedral in Sim Tower.

My defining memory of Sim Isle was sending agents to deal with the local drug cartel. A few minutes later you see a little helicopter flying piece of wood back, with the message that the agent is being sent home in a box. 'twas pretty grim.

SimCopter was by far my favorite one. Got to import cities from SC2k, and fly around in them and do missions like catch criminals, put out fires, make deliveries, etc. My mind was blown by flying around in the cities I created back in the day.

To stay on topic: I bought this SimCity game, and really haven't put too much time into it because of what is happening. I am going to wait to get my feet wet until this whole thing settles down a bit.

Boss Doggie

My first SC was 3000. Just right off the bat it clicked me. Of course back then I was a shitty mayor that I always give everything, causing my money to plummet.

Top Bottom