• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simon Pegg- new Trek script started from scratch, features more "Frontierism"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
I wouldn't say that.

And I could easily see them bringing the Borg in.

Even if it's the creation of them.

It's the 50th anniversary film and Pegg said they are focused on it being in the spirit of the 60's series. It's not going to be the Borg.

We already got a Borg movie with Kirk and co. The Motion Picture. ;) It was later retconned in the novels if you count those that the species Voyager encountered before returning back to Earth as the super intelligent V'Ger was the Borg. Gene Roddenberry even hinted it was the Borg homeworld himself. So it has kind have been assumed by many at this point.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/V'ger#Background_information

Measley

LoL@ the Into Darkness hate. The movie was great. Reviewed well, and was a box office success.

Frankly, the majority of the non-Abrams Trek films are garbage. Making Trek more action based was the best thing to happen to the franchise.

LoL@ the Into Darkness hate. The movie was great. Reviewed well, and was a box office success.

Frankly, the majority of the non-Abrams Trek films are garbage. Making Trek more action based was the best thing to happen to the franchise.

9SKTe50.gif

Ovek

7Member7
I hope the original script leaks at some point, I really want to know how bad it was for Paramount to dump it and get Pegg to not rewrite it but write a completely new one.

Making vapid popcorn flicks that have nothing to do with trek was the best thing for trek

huh

4aw14MH.gif

pants

People like you upset me

kyser73

My main issue with Darkness was Cumberbatch didn't nail the Ahab character ticks in WoK, but other than that I enjoyed the movie.

Preferred the first one, and I think it's only beaten by WoK & First Contact (prob my favourite Trek movie) in Trek movies.

Measley

The best trek films before Abrams were WoK, Voyage Home, and Undiscovered Country. On re-watch they don't really hold up well, especially the Voyage Home, which is pretty dull, and has some pretty terrible special effects. Ricardo Montalban was cheesing it up hardcore in WoK, but I still enjoyed it on a recent re-watch. Despite the iconic role, and the white-washing, I felt that Cumberbatch was a more menacing Khan.

None of the TNG movies were good. The best TNG movie, First Contact, had pretty massive plot holes, and a very out of character Picard doing action stuff. It was mediocre, whereas the rest of the TNG films were just plain terrible.

ST09 and ST:ID is better than all of them.

HUELEN10

For The Record, I put Into Darkness alongside VI and VIII as favorites of mine.

XII would easily trump all... Except it is only half a story. It is literally half a story, part 2 of the part 1 that is countdown and I CANNOT desperate the two. Countdown is that important and good, and I don't see them as separate things but rather 2 parts of the greatest Star Trek Epic ever.

Here's another thing about Wrath of Khan.

The "wrath" part of the title, meaning the Reliant shooting up the Enterprise and becoming a submarine movie in space is the B plot.

The A plot in Wrath of Khan is a human story of ageing, and responding to the consequences of growing older. As in: getting a job, getting married, having kids, retiring gracefully, and then dying.

Kirk rejects all of this. He still sees himself as a swashbuckling hero that can never fail, with the command of a mighty starship and a girl in every port.

Khan didn't reject this. He had a home, a wife, and I believe that Joachim was his son (either biological, fostered or groomed to be an heir). He was set for life on his new world of Ceti Alpha 5.

Kirk struggled to retire. His ship was taken from him and he wants it back.

Khan couldn't retire. His home was destroyed, no help arrived, and he wants revenge.

Kirk embraced his son as his own late into the movie and used it as extra motivation to survive. Khan saw his son die and it resolved his will to kill Kirk by any means necessary.

Spock's death sealed the whole death part. And in doing so, brought about literal new life, and Kirk essentially rejecting his fate again - as he now feels young again.

This is combined with the whole meta commentary on this being the latest incarnation - and possibly the death of - the Star Trek franchise. It had followed this path from the series, to the movie, and now it was old too. And just like with Kirk, it felt young again.

It's late where I am so my brain's a bit fuzzy. Hopefully you can see what I mean. There's the other elements with Scotty's nephew and stuff that feeds into this human story. But generally it's a great movie on so many levels.

I feel that The Undiscovered Country is a slightly better film, as it provided complete and utter closure for both the Original Series and the era in which that series was inspired by.

I think it says a lot that years later people can still talk endlessly about the wonderful little character details in TWOK, whereas the reboot is just loud, dumb spectacle. (OK, I did chuckle when Nero said, "Hi, Christopher!") I've never bothered watching STiD, even though it's been on Netflix for months. I just don't care for Abram's style of movie making.

There's one little nitpick I have about Montalban's Khan...he utters lines like, "I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up," as if he were some kind of old space hand who has flown from one end of the galaxy to the other. But, IIRC, he was a 1990's man who left Earth already frozen, or was frozen shortly after departure, so he's really just a space rookie. I guess the bluster fits well with his character, though.

I think it says a lot that years later people can still talk endlessly about the wonderful little character details in TWOK, whereas the reboot is just loud, dumb spectacle. .

The post you're quoting isn't really "wonderful little character details" though. It's a dissection of the main theme. None of that stuff was little, or particularly hidden. It's right up front and constantly highlighted. Often Meyer actually stops the film for a second or two to make sure you understand what just happened and why.

Wrath of Khan is not a subtle film by any stretch.

Someone could (and probably has) likely do(ne) the same thing for Star Trek 09 and Into Darkness, and it would likely look as carefully thought out. Because they both probably were. The differences are in the performances of the leads and the execution by the writers/directors.

But for all the complaining about "loud, dumb spectacle" there's still obviously some ideas/thought put into the reboot.

benjipwns

Banned
Well, we know about those things now and back in Space Seed, Kirk let him read the entire computer archive. He might have caught up on his reading after picking up the Reliant.

That said, his defeat comes about because of his inexperience with space. "His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

Well, we know about those things now and back in Space Seed, Kirk let him read the entire computer archive. He might have caught up on his reading after picking up the Reliant.

That said, his defeat comes about because of his inexperience with space. "His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

More to the point, Khan had a singular vision. His need for revenge didnt allow for imaginative thinking. It was find and kill Kirk. He probably had no idea what he would do if he even achieved that.

Dysun

I really enjoyed both recent Star Trek movies, but I have no experience with the franchise outside of that. Obviously people with a vested interest will view it differently than me though

Star Trek 09 was a great movie and Into Darkness was a really lazy sequel.

Star Trek Into Darkness is like the shitty annualised sequel to your favourite game. It copied too many ideas from 09 without changing them and the stuff they added fell flat.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I very much enjoyed the two new Star Trek movies. Have watched them both many times.

I'm also glad that Pegg is writing the 3rd one. Almost guaranteed to be a good movie.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Long as it's better than that POS second film. They have a new timeline. Do something new with it, don't just rehash the old.

Long as it's better than that POS second film. They have a new timeline. Do something new with it, don't just rehash the old.

While I disagree with the assessment of Into Darkness, I absolutely agree with the sentiment overall - when the 09 film ended, I remember saying to my wife as we left the theater that I really want them to NOT go back to the well of already established plots/characters and do something NEW. Hopefully this is that.

Although people going "Idris Elba is a Klingon" means it probably won't be that, but hopefully whatever this potential Klingon fight might be will at least be entertaining/interesting.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
While I disagree with the assessment of Into Darkness, I absolutely agree with the sentiment overall - when the 09 film ended, I remember saying to my wife as we left the theater that I really want them to NOT go back to the well of already established plots/characters and do something NEW. Hopefully this is that.

Although people going "Idris Elba is a Klingon" means it probably won't be that, but hopefully whatever this potential Klingon fight might be will at least be entertaining/interesting.

I actually enjoyed Into Darkness during the first half when it seemed like they were going to go a new direction with Khan. Then he became little more than a cartoon villain in the second half and they just rehashed Wrath of Khan as fast as they could. Ruined the film for me.

People hated Into Darkness? Huh.

All for Pegg writing 3 though.

i literally had no idea STID was hated by a particular vocal group* until i came to GAF

Movie ruled and was like one of the better blockbusters that year, same with the first. I can't wait to see what Abrams does with Star Wars. I can't wait to see what Justin Lin does with Trek 3 as well at the same time.

Disclaimer: i was never a Trek fan so that might have something to do with it

the same thing goes for Skyfall, TDKR and a few others that i was surprised to know get widely bashed on here

HUELEN10

I am a diehard Trek fan, and think that Nero is single-handedly the greatest single villain in series history; I love the last 2 films.

God, Nero... He fucked up Worf, he fucked up Pike, he fucked up Rura Penthe, he fucked up TWO TIMELINES, and he fucked up and died in the end.

Nero is amazing.

MC Safety

I
There's one little nitpick I have about Montalban's Khan...he utters lines like, "I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up," as if he were some kind of old space hand who has flown from one end of the galaxy to the other. But, IIRC, he was a 1990's man who left Earth already frozen, or was frozen shortly after departure, so he's really just a space rookie. I guess the bluster fits well with his character, though.

If it makes you feel better, Khan studied the Enterprise's logs in Space Seed. So he'd know all about space.

I bet the new film will celebrate the original series by ripping off yet another one of its episodes. Maybe they'll get Sinbad to play Harcourt Fenton Mudd.

I am a diehard Trek fan, and think that Nero is single-handedly the greatest single villain in series history; I love the last 2 films.

God, Nero... He fucked up Worf, he fucked up Pike, he fucked up Rura Penthe, he fucked up TWO TIMELINES, and he fucked up and died in the end.

Nero is amazing.

My mind is full of fuck.

HUELEN10

My mind is full of fuck.

I was just emphasizing with what Rickelodeon said; some Trek fans, even diehards like me, absolutely love this current series. I mean, I said it before and I'll say it again; when it comes to Captain Kirk, not admiral Kirk, on the USS Enterprise, Pine>Shatner. Again, the heart of trek has man different opinions, some think DS9 is he best, some think it's the weakest series, and some, like me, wish they could buy a cardboard standee of Lt. Barclay.

My mind is full of fuck.

HUELEN has talked about this before. Note that he(?) includes the tie-in comics when talking about Nero, which greatly expand his motivation and notably actually explain what the hell he was doing between the start of the movie and his resurfacing years later.

HUELEN10

I uhhh... I just try and ignore Huelen's crazy ramblings these days. When you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you, etc...

There is nothing crazy about giving specific reasons as to why someone might like what they are doing with the characters in this series in this franchise. IfPegg can come up with a villain half as good as Nero (and he'd better, because I don't want the 50th anniversary Star a trek XIII to just be part of a whole like film XI), then that would be amazing.

BBboy20

This is really where "Into Darkness" should have gone as opposed to...into DARKNESS. I remember hearing that title and going "Why are we going THERE? Besides the fact that going ANYWHERE in Star Trek is going 'into darkness' because space is fuckin' dark. But I mean - a "dark" sequel seems to be unneccessary considering where this first movie ended."

It really does seem like everything about Into Darkness started from the premise "we can't NOT do Khan," and then they just worked a story from there. I don't know if that's how it actually went down though.
I figured at the time they wanted to do Heart of Darkness but in space.

BouncyFrag

All I want is Bones to get more screen time. Karl Urbans performance of him is damn near perfect. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy together have always been the heart and soul of the series to me:
Spock: I've lost a brother.
Kirk: Yes. I lost a brother once. I was lucky I got him back?
McCoy: I thought you said men like us don't have families.
Kirk: I was wrong.
tumblr_myxhb4V8jO1r31vw7o3_500.jpg

I'm not sure if I could handle any more romance drama between Spock and Uhura.

All I want is Bones to get more screen time. Karl Urbans performance of him is damn near perfect. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy together have always been the heart and soul of the series to me:
Spock: I've lost a brother.
Kirk: Yes. I lost a brother once. I was lucky I got him back?
McCoy: I thought you said men like us don't have families.
Kirk: I was wrong.
tumblr_myxhb4V8jO1r31vw7o3_500.jpg

I'm not sure if I could handle any more romance drama between Spock and Uhura.

Yeah, Urban's McCoy is certainly the best recreation of the character out of the new cast.

And actually, now that I think about it, Simon Pegg as Scotty is pretty bad. Does he look like James Doohan's Scotty? Well... no. But hey, that's just life, actors have different physical attributes, that's just something we have to accept. Does he act like James Doohan's Scotty? Well... again, no, not really.

aliengmr

I would like to see Kirk actually commanding the Enterprise for once.

I'm optimistic about this news. I had given up all hope after ITD.

Skux

Both films were great and I've watched and loved Star Trek since watching TNG sitting on the couch with my dad. People need to stop being so precious about their fandom. If you want your 'traditional' Star Trek experience there's four TV shows and ten films for you to enjoy that already exist and will never change.

If it makes you feel better, Khan studied the Enterprise's logs in Space Seed. So he'd know all about space.

Well Khan was also paraphrasing Moby Dick when he spoke that line. The perdition’s flames line was a dead give away as it was taken right out of the book directly:

"Aye, aye! and I’ll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition’s flames before I give him up.."

Maybe he was making things up at that point, or just cross referencing literature with whatever space knowledge that he knew? They did have space travel in his time period as they were found on the SS Botany Bay, so maybe earth from that period had a lot more of the galaxy mapped out by that time period?

Or maybe it was just the script writer trying to be clever with their Moby Dick references?

As long as Lindelof doesn't come near this script, I will remain cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, pretty much this. I am in the club that didn't like Into Darkness either. The script felt to drive-by for it to be a real Trek Film, Khan had no weight to his existence in the movie and he felt like a character that was shoe horned in. The movie ended with a big silly ass battle with Alex Murphy commanding an even bigger star ship. The movie started out alright in the first half, but then it felt like they were trying to shove too many elements in the second half and it came off feeling really unfocused. It felt like Abrams was trying to create his Star Wars movie within the Star Trek universe and I didn't care for it.

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, Urban's McCoy is certainly the best recreation of the character out of the new cast.
Easily the worst part of the reboots is his complete waste. They're supposed to be a threesome who make up for each others flaws. And he shows up for a couple quips every 20 minutes.

I think Pine is a good Kirk, especially since he's playing a much younger Kirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom