• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin & Punishment (Anticipating the Virtual Console)

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
Er... I was with you up until this point. Its sweet that the dialog was in english so I could understand the story.... but the script and VAs (like the heroine and that freakin' pikachu looking thing - ugh) were corny.

Man... I'm really trying to remember the story now...

Hey, I said they were decent, not great. I mean, corny is the first RE. I thought the VA did totally suit the game. But again, I am such a sucker for this title I am probably looking at it through rose colored glasses.

The story is great, as it makes almost no sense at the beginning but by the end everything comes together. This is also very anime-like. Can you still replay it Mr. Jones? It doesn't take long to plow through the game and experience it all again. Even the pikachu looking thing is explained (and it's pretty funny how that lil' bitch came about).

Translating the menus and the few lines of dialogue at the ending would be nothing. I totally expect them to do this at least for the VC. And they would be retards for it not to put it out. I'm sure Treasure would push for NOA to bring it out finally in the US, which is what they intended all along.

Without giving away anything about the story, there is a total set-up for a sequel. It works okay as a stand alone title but at the end there's comments from all the main characters about the future, a future that would be fantastic to explore in a new game.

Hopefully a VC release with much fanfare will give Treasure justification to finally follow this gem up!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
In its own way, the game looks amazing to this day. I really hope to be playing this on my Wii-Wii. Also, all threads should be as well-formatted as this one. GAF Mission Rating: S.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Himuro said:
Looking at Jasoco's video, it looks like an on rails shooter, and it looks pretty boring.

You doesn't have soul. Free shotters sucks compared to this top-notch gameplay.

PolyGone

Banned
Himuro said:
Looking at Jasoco's video, it looks like an on rails shooter, and it looks pretty boring.

thats only the first level, also the way he's playing in that vid is to get the hi score, thats why it may seem repetitive in some parts... its much faster going if you want it to be...

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
Yeah, the game is anything but boring. Later levels & harder difficulty levels make the game outright frantic. There's so much to shoot, so it gets really crazy if you try to get a high score. When I was playing in front of my friends, more than once I was told to stop going for the score and just kill the boss before I was killed.

And it's not just shooting, you can use a laser sword on enemies in close proximity which can sometimes be used to knock back projectiles at targets. There's also a couple of times using the sword is intregal, including a pretty cool sword fight.

It's not a typical rails shooter. At all. Playing is believing!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Himuro said:

Don't knock it 'till you tried it. Sure the first level is slow, and the LI train stage can be fairly boring (hey, just like real life!), but it's got some of the most intense parts of any action game, ever, and I dare say its the best game on the N64 (though that may not sound like much... trust me I'd put it in my top 10 games ever), and quite possibly my favorite Treasure game ever (and Treasure is my fave developer). There's an awesome tribute to Missile Command at the end, and I think the aircraft carrier level is one of the most intense levels I've ever seen in an action game. Pretty much everybody I've shown the game to has come away impressed and I don't think I've ever seen someone who's played the game hate on it.

Joe Molotov

Himuro said:

It's about as boring as Star Fox 64, which is to say totally awesome and not boring at all. Aircraft Carrier stage FTW.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I can still play through the carrier fleet stage and feel in total awe of the game. Hell, from a design standpoint, the game is almost unrivaled.

loosus said:
Wow, they wanted 500,000 at least? I bet they'd settle for 50,000 today. Nintendo must've gotten too used to having all major hits on the Nintendo 64. Maybe GameCube brought them back into reality.

Having said that, I'm not sure that not localizing Sin and Punishment was such a bad idea. All things considered, it probably would've bombed.

Well remember the media cost was a huge factor. They went for large print runs to get a lower per unit cost, and even then they were supposedly paying around $20 for carts. And of course another problem is with the long lead times of cart. Iif you launched with a small number of units, and those sold out quickly, it could be 2 months before you could get more on store shelves, and by then who knows if the demand would still be there.

So it was a lot harder to justify releasing a game they didn't think would be moderately big on the N64.

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
djtiesto said:
Pretty much everybody I've shown the game to has come away impressed and I don't think I've ever seen someone who's played the game hate on it.

QFT. Even showing the game off today, my friends have come away impressed and want to play it every now and then. The first time I saw it and played it I was just enchanted and going back to it, even as much as I've played it, I'm still impressed. This game is easily in my top 10 as well, if not top 5.

This really better be available on VC day 1. I understand why it didn't come out on N64 but it's a crime nonetheless than so few people have played it. With this game Treasure really lived up to their name and then some.

jarrod

Banned
PolyGone said:
...what other games did we miss out on that the Virtual Console should make up for?
A mountain of Square Enix stuff... Final Fantasy II/III/V, Dragon Quest V/VI, remakes of Dragon Quest I+II/III Tactics Ogre, Terranigma, Seiken Densetsu 3, Romancing SaGa 1-3, Front Mission, Star Ocean, Wonder Project J 1-2, Torneko no Daibouken, Just Breed, Treasure Hunter G, Mystic Ark, Dark Half, Violinist of Hamlin, Einyu Hanjuku, Alchahest, Burning Heroes, etc, etc. Hopefully some of it makes it's way here.

jarrod said:
A mountain of Square Enix stuff... Final Fantasy II/III/V, Dragon Quest V/VI, remakes of Dragon Quest I+II/III Tactics Ogre, Terranigma, Seiken Densetsu 3, Romancing SaGa 1-3, Front Mission, Star Ocean, Wonder Project J 1-2, Torneko no Daibouken, Just Breed, Treasure Hunter G, Mystic Ark, Dark Half, Violinist of Hamlin, Einyu Hanjuku, Alchahest, Burning Heroes, etc, etc. Hopefully some of it makes it's way here.

And some other cool Konami goodies such as Getsufuu Maden (aka Getsufuuma Densetsu), Parodius I-III, Gradius II (Famicom), Wai Wai World 1-2, Ganbare Goemon 1-2 (Famicom), Super Famicom Goemon games, and Crisis Force. Not to mention better versions of games such as Castlevania ('93 Famicom release that included an easy mode), Castlevania 3/Akumajou Densetsu (better music + more balanced difficulty), and Contra/Gryzor (background animations + between level cinemas).

jko

cartman414 said:
And some other cool Konami goodies such as Getsufuu Maden (aka Getsufuuma Densetsu), Parodius I-III, Gradius II (Famicom), Wai Wai World 1-2, Ganbare Goemon 1-2 (Famicom), Super Famicom Goemon games, and Crisis Force. Not to mention better versions of games such as Castlevania ('93 Famicom release that included an easy mode), Castlevania 3/Akumajou Densetsu (better music + more balanced difficulty), and Contra/Gryzor (background animations + between level cinemas).
holy **** nostalgia rush!! :O
if i'm not able to download Japanese roms including the FDS ones, i'd be sorely pissed-off.

jko said:
holy **** nostalgia rush!! :O
if i'm not able to download Japanese roms including the FDS ones, i'd be sorely pissed-off.

Not to mention the BS-X Satellaview stuff, and even the arcade stuff. There's so much arcana in Nintendoland alone it's not even funny.

What about stuff outside of the Nintendo consoles and the Duo and Genny? Like I said earlier, the NAOMI board stuff would be sweet, and the inclusion of SotN on XBox Live Arcade makes PS1 games a remote possibility on non-Sony systems, as long as they're non-Sony games. I'd love to see Klonoa make the jump, for instance. C'mon Namco, make it happen!

jko

cartman414 said:
Not to mention the BS-X Satellaview stuff, and even the arcade stuff. There's so much arcana in Nintendoland alone it's not even funny.

What about stuff outside of the Nintendo consoles and the Duo and Genny? Like I said earlier, the NAOMI board stuff would be sweet, and the inclusion of SotN on XBox Live Arcade makes PS1 games a remote possibility on non-Sony systems, as long as they're non-Sony games. I'd love to see Klonoa make the jump, for instance. C'mon Namco, make it happen!
oh heck yeah! the BS-Zelda and BS-F-Zero??
and most of the good Duo games are Japan only, Dracula X comes to mind of course :) if the US Wii won't allow download games fromJapan, there really aren't many games for the Duo...

EDIT: and watch about the N64-DD stuff??? F-Zero track editor!!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, since you already bumped...

About a week ago a buddy came over and convinced me to extricate my N64 from its 5-year quarantine. Naturally, we plugged in Sin & Punishment. I was a bit busy and feeling somewhat sick, so I didn't play, but he seemed to enjoy himself.

The other night, I caught myself staring at the still-hooked-up N64 and shrugged, deciding to give it a whirl. Three realizations:

1) N64's jump from composite to s-video is remarkable. At least for this game.
2) A 5-year long break from the game (and the N64 controller) is more than enough to make you suck.
3) The game is TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME.

I remembered why I stopped playing. About 5 years ago I let another buddy borrow the game, and despite imploring him to hit up Gamefaqs or IGN for their respective menu-screen translations, he managed to erase all of my data. Haha. Thanks junkwaffle! ;p

The Classic Controller could potentially make this game even better! Man, I seriously hopes it hits the US VC, this time with a localized menu, HUD, subtitles, and ending, and the ability to disable the voice acting! Haha.

Lee N

Membre
PolyGone said:
Maegawa: Speaking of Sin and Punishment, we designed that game specifically for US gamers. We really wanted to release that title in the US. But Nintendo didn't think it would sell 500,000 units, and in the end, they decided not to publish it in the US. We are thinking of doing a sequel to Sin and Punishment, but we also have to keep business considerations in mind. So at this moment, we're not sure. We think US gamers would enjoy it, though, so we'd like to do a sequel.

NoA.. undo your error and release this on VC now! Seriously.

kamikaze

hmmm...download now off japanese vc or give noa a chance to show that they have 1/100th of a brain? i guess i've got other games to play until monday...let's see if noa fails again.

Top Bottom