• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Tntnnbltn said:
As far as I know, Vol 1 and Vol 2 are the only PS3 editions available in the US which are available as microphone bundles. Artist-specific titles (SingStar ABBA, SingStar Queen) are only available as solus editions. Make sure the one you are buying is actually a microphone bundle though, because Vol 1 and Vol 2 are also sold as solus editions too. It usually says either 'microphone bundle' or 'game only' on the descriptions. The only microphones currently available in the US are wired, but in Europe there are ultra-cool super-sweet wireless editions which are 1000x better.

The wireless microphones are a must buy. Basically for all your extroverted friends, they can put one hell of a show. It's well worth the money.

OMG, I just noticed that I bought more than 500 songs on SingStore.

Random question but are there trophies in the game? Is seems like this thread is really the only place that Ive found to even get information on the game.

And can every song be song with two microphones at the same time?

Toki767

Yes and yes.

There is one set of trophies for all PS3 SingStar games. So if you had say Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, your trophies for one game are the same as your trophies for another.

Every song can be sung with two microphones in either a Battle where both people have to sing the entire song, or a Duet where players take turns singing lines or verses.

ayrkain

Just want to add a minor point here, which is that the wireless mics (which are absolutely worth importing) also work great with Rock Band.

Tntnnbltn

Toki767 said:
[...] or a Duet where players take turns singing lines or verses.
Just a random thing I remembered... A while ago my friend and I were playing Duet mode. We usually just do battle, but recently I get her to try out all my new song purchases with me and we do duet so she doesn't have to sing as much.

So anyway, we are shuffling around and ended up doing a duet for "Hey Ya", and it had awesome note charting for the duet mode.

Blue: Hey, alright now
Blue: Alright now fellas
Red: Yeah!
Blue: Now what's cooler than bein' cool?
Red: Ice cold!
Blue: I can't hear ya'
Blue: I say, I say what's cooler than bein' cool?
Red: Ice cold!

Another example is "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)"

Blue: Give it to me baby
Red: Uh huh, uh huh

Both of these songs are charted as single artists (no dedicated separate parts when playing duet), but in some instances the person charting the duet naturally broken up the lines to red/blue mics to match different singers. It's something that feels really natural and awesome when you are singing, as if you are your partner are actually working together rather than just singing random verses of a song.

Toki767

I noticed that on a couple songs myself. Pretty Fly For A White Guy was one of them. I don't know if they go through each song to make it flow in a Duet or if their coding to turn a single artist song into a duet is just that good. :lol

Tntnnbltn

Toki767 said:
I don't know if they go through each song to make it flow in a Duet or if their coding to turn a single artist song into a duet is just that good. :lol
It would be done by hand.

A lot of work goes into the duets to ensure that each microphone (usually) sings the same amount and type of material as the other, so that one player isn't disadvantaged. Particularly obvious with song structures like 'verse-chorus-verse-chorus-chorus', where you'll notice in the second verse the Red/Blue player assignments are opposite of what they were in the first verse. This way each player has sung the equivalent of a whole verse.

Tntnnbltn

Toki767 said:
I wonder if they've ever had any problems turning a particular song into a duet.
I can't image how they would have problems. Worst case scenario, each player gets random blocks of lines. :p Each player's maximum scores are always normalised to 5000 anyway.

I think something much harder would just be note charting (in general) for songs which have overlapping vocals. Especially when the singer goes on their own tangent, and the charting either has to stick with the backing vocals or follow the lead singer.

I think Rihanna - "SOS" was an example song which was hard to chart. At the very least, it was hard to sing. I never knew if I was meant to sing her lines or the backing lines, and always ended up with a terrible score.

I just found out that singstore download is tied to your psn id and your hardware. so, I just recently upgrade to PS3 slim. now I couldn't re download my downloadable songs. and I don't think I can re buy them either...

am I screwed?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Downloaded a whole crap of songs before I took the PS3 up to familys for Thanksgiving. Had a blast.... annoyed that there are songs on Vol 2 that can't be purchased through the store. Annoyed that Vol 3 isn't out in the US. Annoyed that the "normal" version of UB40's Red Red Wine is still not the whole song.

But we did have made fun on Friday and the voice control works pretty well.

Callibretto per earlier in the thread call Sony.

Toki767

Callibretto said:
I just found out that singstore download is tied to your psn id and your hardware. so, I just recently upgrade to PS3 slim. now I couldn't re download my downloadable songs. and I don't think I can re buy them either...

am I screwed?
Sony's been pretty good about cases where people upgrade from their old PS3s to the new slim. I believe all you have to do is e-mail the customer service and explain your situation to them and ask them to transfer your license from your old PS3 to your new one.

Toki767

Tntnnbltn said:
I think Rihanna - "SOS" was an example song which was hard to chart. At the very least, it was hard to sing. I never knew if I was meant to sing her lines or the backing lines, and always ended up with a terrible score.
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who does poorly on "SOS". That song is so hard to sing.:lol

Rihanna's SOS on the Boogie game wasnt actually that difficult, but I think it was actually singing her lines and not the background vocalists.

Wow the song isnt standard in SingStar vol 2 nor on the download list? lol

Tntnnbltn

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow the song isnt standard in SingStar vol 2 nor on the download list? lol
"SOS"? It's on SingStar Pop [US PS2] and SingStar Pop Hits [EU/AU PS2].

Rihanna is an artist under Universal Music Group (UMG). The UK branch of UMG has a online licensing agreement with SingStar, but the US branch doesn't. There's a chance Rihanna - "SOS" could be released on the UK SingStore, but not the US one.

Tntnnbltn

SingStar software update 4.30 scheduled to go live tomorrow - 2nd December!

Our Format QA teams (FQA) in America, have been working hard this last week and over the weekend, to make sure that the SingStar 4.30 update is ready for you in time for the festive holidays. The team had delayed the update by several days so that code could be added to allow you to copy your save data in a future update. We're very pleased to say that SingStar 4.30 will be released on 2nd December 2009, however please note that it will be necessary for SingStar online services to be down for much of the day on the 2nd, and online searches may take up to 48hrs to be fully functional. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

We would like to thank you all for your support, the bug reports, and your feature and song suggestions. We have some fantastic big new features coming next year and details of how you can help develop these new features by being part of closed BETA will be released early next year. One final note, there will be a small SingStar update late in December that will add disc swap support for SingStar Store Dromme in Denmark.
Thanks again for your support and patience,
love from
The SingStar Team
- Facebook

Tntnnbltn

Wow why is the US Singstar website so, lacking compared to the others. And also where is this facebook group, I cant find it...
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SingStarUK

The singstargame.com website was established a couple years back. The site actually has a fully featured US version that can be accessed by changing the URL, but for whatever reason SCEA wanted the US version to direct to their own version.

Doel

My 60GB PS3 died yesterday.

I've decided to pick up a new PS3, and I know you can't put your old hdd in a new PS3 without reformatting it. So how do I go about reclaiming my Singstar songs? Will I be able to re-download them all for free on my new PS3?

Doel

Cool thanks. I am indeed Canadian.

I did just remember that I have a backup from September, and I don't remember if I purchased anything since then. I can restore an old back up to a new PS3 and it'll have all my purchased songs on there right?

Returners

Doel said:
Cool thanks. I am indeed Canadian.

I did just remember that I have a backup from September, and I don't remember if I purchased anything since then. I can restore an old back up to a new PS3 and it'll have all my purchased songs on there right?

No. Game Data is locked to a PS3.

You have to redownload it.

On the subject of updating hardware, do I have to re-download everything if I change the HDD in my PS3 to a bigger one and just make a backup of everything that's currently on it to the new one (via USB stick)?

Tntnnbltn

SiegfriedFM said:
On the subject of updating hardware, do I have to re-download everything if I change the HDD in my PS3 to a bigger one and just make a backup of everything that's currently on it to the new one (via USB stick)?
Songs will be restored by Backup/Restore.

Wow the US PC store for it either stopped working for me or just acted weird, there are so many "text missing" errors and the song previews dont work at all for me. I did want to browse the site more.

Do they ever ask fans what songs they would want for a future update?

And has the song choices been a criticism of the game for awhile, seems like the "most" popular songs arent in there, well recent ones (like no 2009 songs(?))

Tntnnbltn

Wow the US PC store for it either stopped working for me or just acted weird, there are so many "text missing" errors and the song previews dont work at all for me. I did want to browse the site more.

Do they ever ask fans what songs they would want for a future update?

And has the song choices been a criticism of the game for awhile, seems like the "most" popular songs arent in there, well recent ones (like no 2009 songs(?))
Because the US part of the site isn't usually accessible they haven't bothered fixing minor things like that. Most of the song previews should work though. :-/

The SingStar Team are actually quite good with listening to fans. In particular, Nina Scherer posts the fortnightly SingStar updates on the EU PlayStation Blog, and she responds to user comments. In general, I think that they know what the majority of people want, and really want to bring those songs to the store, but their hands are tied with licensing.

Still, the group are UK-based, so they might not know about bands which did good in the US but never in the UK. e.g. on the SingStore you can find Fun Boy Three - "Our Lips Are Sealed", which was a hit in the UK, but not The Go-Go's - "Our Lips Are Sealed" which was the popular version in the US and Australia. That's one of the reasons why I usually request Australian artists from them; I figure they already know the obvious artists like Lady GaGa and Rihanna.

And yes, song choices have been a complaint pretty much since day one. Currently of the major four music labels, Warner Music Group is refusing to licensing songs for the SingStore, Universal Music Group is licensing in Europe only, and Sony Music Entertainment is holding off their best content. EMI is the most licensing friendly, but even some of their major hits (Coldplay - "Viva la Vida", anything from Katy Perry) haven't come through.

Tntnnbltn

kassatsu said:
So since Lips got that other Gaga song, I hope we get it next update :)
Other two GaGa songs actually.

I'm still super-stoked for next update. With SME Australia on their licensing spree, there's a chance for more Delta Goodrem, Natalie Bassingthwaighte and Rogue Traders. A repeat of last week would be soooo awesome.

Speaking of licensing, I still have to send off a request for R.E.M. - "The One That I Love" and "It's The End Of The World As We Know It". Most of their songs are under Warner, but their pre-1988 music was released under IRS which was later absorbed by EMI, and is now managed by Capitol Records. End of the World would be awesome purely so I can learn the lyrics.

Tntnnbltn

SingStar Patch 4.30 is live

Features Revised in Version 4.30

Fixes stability issues experienced by some users.
SingStore On Demand.
Support for common USB microphones
Added 'Download All' to SingStore purchase history.
Link to favourite media from My SingStar Online profile.
Transfer club leadership.
Link to song purchase from online media.
Updated SingStore shop front
System User names available in profile selection.

agm2502

Tntnnbltn said:
NO idea. My internet is capped (lol Australia). One hour later and I'm on 54%.
I'm guessing it will be Singstoreaccess from xmb. Will probably be an app from the psn store. Servers are still down.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Servers are back up.

French Starter Pack is up.

SingStore didn't change much, except I noticed a checkmark besides already bought songs directly when browsing.

Tntnnbltn

Help file:
SingStore On Demand

When on the song selection screen, you can quickly access the range of songs available in the SingStore by pressing [Square]. The song selection now also shows SingStore songs available to purchase.

You can sort the songs by artist, song name or genre by tapping the [L2] button. Check the top right of the screen to see how the songs are currently sorted. When sorting by genre, press [R1] or [R2] to filter by different genres. The song selection screen then displays all of your songs and SingStore songs of the corresponding genre.

Highlight a song to view a short video clip and press [X] to go to the check-out with that song. follow the on-screen promps to purchase the song and begin downloading it.

Tntnnbltn

Heads up that a lot of people are complaining they can no longer accessible some of their songs following the patch. Songs purchased prior to August 2009 seem to be affected.

Usage Rights: This song cannot be played because its owner has been deleted. To play, delete the song via Delete Songs in Options and then download it from the Singstore"

Those same songs still work under patch 4.21.

MadFuzzy

Support for common USB microphones

Does this mean that they've added Rock Band mic support? (not that it matters, because everyone knows that the wireless mics are where it's at)

Tntnnbltn

Hows this for a bug... I downloaded the latest patch on SingStar Vol 1, and it deleted every single song that was not previously released on PS2 back catalogue. I'm doing more detailed analysis on which songs remained to try and find out the cause.

But yeah, I'm keeping SingStar Pop Edition at 4.21 for now..

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Tntnnbltn said:
Has been for six months.

Thanks... we don't play Singstar that much... actually we haven't played in awhile but I brought the PS3 with me up to my Dad's on my wife's request(which first involved purchase another 40+ songs hadn't realized it'd been so long since we played, had to check the store out...) so we could play it and had a good time(actually posted a video or two of the fam on facebook), so I want to rent the PS2 discs via gamefly and see if any have enough tracks to consider keeping or picking up via Ebay....

So when the PS2 disc is on do you only see tracks that are on that disc or do you see those tracks and your installed PS3 tracks... also are the clearly delineated so you know which is which?

Top Bottom