• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

Tntnnbltn

DarienA said:
So when the PS2 disc is on do you only see tracks that are on that disc or do you see those tracks and your installed PS3 tracks... also are the clearly delineated so you know which is which?
It's just like when you have a PS3 disc in. The carousel shows your current disc tracks (PS2) mixed in with all of your purchased DLC

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Tntnnbltn said:
It's just like when you have a PS3 disc in. The carousel shows your current disc tracks (PS2) mixed in with all of your purchased DLC

Ah so there's no way to tell what the PS2 tracks are(besides checking back of the box(I'm assuming), or the wiki entry? That's kinda annoying...

Tntnnbltn

Okay so as I mentioned a whole bunch of my songs were deleted. Here are the songs that remained...

Code:
10000J: A-Ha - Take On Me
10021C: The Angels - No Secrets
100073: Aqua - Barbie Girl
10001M: Atomic Kitten - Eternal Flame
100012: Avril Lavigne - Complicated
10001A: The Bangles - Walk Like An Egyptian
1000GJ: Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is A Place On Earth
1007RB: Bic Runga - Sway
10000S: Big Brovaz - Nu Flow
10006H: Black Eyed Peas - Shut Up
1000GL: Blondie - Atomic
10000O: Blondie - Heart of Glass
1001HP: Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart
10002T: Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star
10000K: Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting
1001H8: Cher- If I Could Turn Back Time
1000GG: Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
10000L: Daniel Bedingfield - If You're Not the one
1007QH: Delta Goodrem - Born to Try
1001SG: Elton John - Rocket Man 
1000GT: Europe - Final Countdown
1007RA: Evewrmore - It's Too Late
100016: Five - Keep On Movin
10007M: Fountains of Wayne - Stacey's Mom
10003Y: Franz Ferdinand - Do You Want To
100FK0: GANGgajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)
1001HR: Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
10001I: Good Charlotte - Girls & Boys
10027O: Hinder - Lips Of An Angel
100077: Hoobastank - The Reason 
10006I: Jamelia - Superstar
100068: Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
10021D: Jimmy Barnes - No Second Prize
10021E: Jimmy Barnes - Working Class Man
10023J: John Farnham - You're The Voice
1000H1: Katrina And The Waves - Walking On Sunshine
10006O: Keane - Somewhere Only We Know
1000VT: The Killers - Somebody Told Me
10002P: Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky
10000F: Liberty X - Just A Little
10007H: Marilyn Manson - Personal Jesus
100FJW: Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure
100FM4: Nirvana - Come As You Are
10007W: OutKast - Roses
100005: P!nk - Get The Party Started
10003P: P!nk - Just Like A Pill
1000H6: Pretenders - Brass In Pocket
1001HT: The Pussycat Dolls - Don't Cha
10025C: The Rasmus - In The Shadows
10000C: Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
100070: Ronan Keating feat Yusuf - Father And Son
1007R7: Savage Garden - To The Moon And Back
1001HZ: Scissor Sisters - Laura
100030: Scissor Sisters - Take Your Mama
1007R6: Shannon Noll - What About Me
1000HI: Starship - We Built This City
1001HA: Steps - Deeper Shade Of Blue
100FIY: Stereophonic - Dakota
10015G: The Swingers - Counting The Beat
1000GH: Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
10006G: Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual
10000W: Village People - Y.M.C.A.

Every song I ever purchased with ID codes up to 100FM4 (Nirvana - "Come As You Are") was not affected. The next song in sequence, 100FNT (Men At Work - "Down Under") was deleted, as was every other song with ID codes greater than 100FNT. The deletion of songs in my case had nothing to do with purchase date/order, only ID code.

I can only speculate since I don't know the internal workings of the SingStar save file, but I suspect that the save file stores or loads songs in alphanumeric order by ID code, and for some reason or another it came across an error and all songs with ID codes greater than that error were lost.

Tntnnbltn

Katy at totalmusicgaming.com has done a bunch of research on the Usage Error issue which is preventing many people from playing songs they have purchased. Note that this is different to the deletion issue which I described above (and so far has only happened to me upon patching to 4.30, although has happened to other people randomly during patch 4.21).

Basically any songs which Katy purchased between 6th September 2008 and 14th April 2009 inclusive do not work under the new patch. They are present but bring up the following error when you try to play them...
Usage Rights: This song cannot be played because its owner has been deleted. To play, delete the song via Delete Songs in Options and then download it from the Singstore

Even though most of my songs were deleted, I still had a number of songs remaining on my HDD which were purchased during the same period. Unlike Katy, none of my songs were affected by this issue. I believe this is because my console died earlier this year and had to be replaced. I got the replacement in May 2009, and hence all of the songs on my hard drive had been downloaded outside of the September 2009-April 2009 range. The issue might only affect songs which have been downloaded in that range as opposed to purchased.

Tntnnbltn

Courtesy of US Blog...

Llave | December 2nd, 2009 at 11:22 am

I love how the song selection screen had The Killers- Human cover on it since its not available in our store or in any of the disc.

any word on when Universal songs coming to America? I have a boat load of PSN cards that I wont activate until Universal songs are available to purchase. The Universal tracks better be your Xmas present to us since we only got Queen SingStar and SingStar Latino this year…

Erin English replied on December 2, 2009 at 11:27 am

We are very close to getting the Universal songs for the US, please stay tuned. And thanks for your patience.

lupinko

The real question is when will they get Hollywood Records/Disney, Warner to come aboard, and also for SME to stop holding back.

Tntnnbltn

Detailed changelog:

SingStore:

* What’s Hot? – Now you can see Top 10s on the SingStore of our hottest content from current Top 10 downloads to top festive tunes.
* Quick Buy – Watching a media clip of someone singing a song you really like and fancy adding it to your collection? Now you can go and view it directly in the SingStore at the press of a button!
* SingStore On Demand – You can preview SingStore songs available directly from the Song Selection screen in the game. Just press the Square button and you can view the whole SingStore catalogue while playing.
* Previously Purchased Content – If you’re in SingStore you can instantly see which songs you’ve bought before.
* Download all purchased songs option – In the SingStore, you can now download all the tracks you’ve purchased before quickly and easily. Just go to ‘Purchase History’ and select from there.

MySingStarOnline:

* My Favourite Media – This feature allows you to bookmark your favourite media clips in the community in your profile, so you can quickly watch them again and again.
* Clubs – You can transfer leadership of a club to another person.

Gameplay:

* Cartoon Interface – This gives child-friendly in-game feedback and end of song rankings.
* XMB User Player Profiles – When adding player names into your new game, you can now select from names stored on XMB (i.e. login profiles).

Tntnnbltn

darkjedi187 said:
so is it not safe to do the update? I'm a bit confused at to the problem it causes.
The main problem is songs downloaded between September 2008 and April 2009 don't work under the new patch. Deleting and redownloading those songs solves the issue. Alternatively, if you don't want to redownload songs and you have multiple discs, you can upgrade one disc to 4.30 (so you can shop online) and keep the other at 4.21 (for playing all the songs). Whichever option you choose will depend on how many songs you potentially have to redownload and if you have internet download limits.

I experienced a rare bug which resulted in most of my songs being deleted (everyone else's songs were still present, just some of those were unplayable when using discs with v4.30). So yeah, I have to redownload all of mine regardless. I'll probably keep my second disc as v4.21 though just in case there's issues people will come across later.

Toki767

Those new Singstore features, particularly downloading a song you see someone singing would work so much better if the entire back catalogue was available in in the store.

I wonder if they're planning something really special for the December 17th update.

Tntnnbltn

darkjedi187 said:
Wow that seems like a huge problem. how could a patch go out that causes that kind of issue?
They would have done extensive QA testing with a whole range of DLC conditions...... but if all of that DLC was downloaded to debug consoles for the strict intention of QA testing, then they would have had no DLC downloaded from September 2008-April 2009, so never would have come across the issue whatsoever.

Toki767 said:
Those new Singstore features, particularly downloading a song you see someone singing would work so much better if the entire back catalogue was available in in the store.
That SingStore On Demand this is dangerous as fuck (for one's wallet). All the songs just appear in the song selection carousel, and launch automatic previews when you hover on them. You can have the entire catalogue on display at a party so if someone comes across a song they want when flicking between songs BAM you buy it.

I wonder if they're planning something really special for the December 17th update.
Probably a bit larger than usual. I think for the mostpart they just wanted an extra week because they wanted to focus on this patch. On the upside though, I put the chance of getting Jackson 5 - "ABC" at 'very high'.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Are you fucking kidding me. Half of my songs are locked. This is unnaceptable. I have ISP caps. It's the FUCKING SECOND TIME .

Tntnnbltn

TotalMusicGaming.com has sent out an email to all members encouraging them not to update.

Hi to all TMG fans,

This is a friendly warning to let you know that if you choose to SingStar 4.3 you may experience loss of access to many of your songs between certain purchase dates, or you may find songs are physically deleted from your hard disk and require re-downloading.

SingStar 4.3 also introduces a number of other significant bugs which we are tracking here, including a new video editor freeze bug:

http://www.totalmusicgaming.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=866

The SingStar Team are reading so please feel free to post constructive feedback there.

In the meantime, we strongly urge all our members not to patch to SingStar 4.3. You can do this by simply declining the patch with the circle button and not going online. If you have already patched and have another PS3 SingStar disk, boot the game from that disk instead and decline the patch when prompted.

We'll keep you posted on any changes in the thread above.

Have a good week!

Katy, Jez, Ryan, Nils, Jimmy & Evan
TotalMusicGaming Team

Are you fucking kidding me. Half of my songs are locked. This is unnaceptable. I have ISP caps. It's the FUCKING SECOND TIME
I don't know if you have multiple discs, but if you do then don't update any others. If you decline the patch notice and access the game with 4.21 then all of those songs will be available again.

MadFuzzy

Updated my Vol. 2 (56mb patch) and about 10-15 songs are broken (largely song packs).

Isn't this patch meant to coincide with another server move to solve the capacity problems at peak times?

Perhaps not all the "rights" data for the affected downloads has been migrated across to the new store server (maybe the game is authenticating downloads against the server when the game starts up?)

Tntnnbltn

MadFuzzy said:
Perhaps not all the "rights" data for the affected downloads has been migrated across to the new store server (maybe the game is authenticating downloads against the server when the game starts up?)
You'd still be able to access purchased DLC while not connected to the network. Just disconnect from PSN and re-try.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Tntnnbltn said:
TotalMusicGaming.com has sent out an email to all members encouraging them not to update.

I don't know if you have multiple discs, but if you do then don't update any others. If you decline the patch notice and access the game with 4.21 then all of those songs will be available again.

I have SingStar Hits and ABBA. I patched Hits. Anyways, there is not even an easy way to know which songs are locked or not!!! At least last time the songs were already deleted! Fuck SCEE.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Toki767 said:
What really sucks is when you know songs are missing but you don't know which. :lol

I posted on the blog. It's ridiculous. I want a refund. I spent nearly $1000 on SingStar, and they better fix it and give me something for my troubles. Last time I assumed my ISP costs, I won't stand it this time.

MadFuzzy

Tntnnbltn said:
You'd still be able to access purchased DLC while not connected to the network. Just disconnect from PSN and re-try.

Still broken.

Interestingly I tried Vol. 1 (with patch 2.10) and Motown (unpatched) and the broken songs don't appear at all, they only appear (with the rights warning) under 4.30 now.

Will be interesting to see their response to this, especially if it's anything other than "sorry, we actually broke some of your old downloaded songs under a previous patch, didn't realise it at the time and so you now have to download them again".

Tntnnbltn

Toki767 said:
What really sucks is when you know songs are missing but you don't know which. :lol
I remember when I first booted up the game with the new patch.

"Wait... I had two songs from Elton John. And where's Delta Goodrem - "Believe Again"? Okay, I KNOW I had more than one Coldplay song."

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Tntnnbltn said:
I remember when I first booted up the game with the new patch.

"Wait... I had two songs from Elton John. And where's Delta Goodrem - "Believe Again"? Okay, I KNOW I had more than one Coldplay song."

Well if they're not there, it's easy, they show on your download list and you know which ones to redownload. Not with locked songs, you have to test each song individually, lovely.

Tntnnbltn

JeFfRey said:
Well if they're not there, it's easy, they show on your download list and you know which ones to redownload. Not with locked songs, you have to test each song individually, lovely.
Yeah I know. I was able to go to the download history and just hit square to download them all. Currently 17 of 196.

Tntnnbltn said:
Courtesy of US Blog...

Whoa Universal Songs are coming? They should get Fireflies by Owl City... :p

Wow just read the Erin English replies on the blog. I guess the US Store either has the most criticism, and B, has the longest time in getting artist and labels to lend their songs and videos?

Tntnnbltn

I strongly recommend everyone with kids check out the new cartoon interface (accesed through Options -> Game Interface -> Cartoon).

Major changes:
  • When singing, the "Awful"/"Poor"/"Okay"/"Great"/"Cool" messages at the end of lines are replaced with dancing starfish with different colours/smiley faces according to how well you went.

• End music is replaced so it doesn't sound like a failure if you fail. Bubble noises for the score bars filling up, background applause/clapping/cheering (sounds like children).

• End rankings have been changed.
    0-500: Baby Star (picture of dummy)
    500-1000: Sing Starter (picture of teddy bear)
    1000-1500: Wannabe (picture of rubber duck)
    1500-2500: Hopeful (picture of butterfly)
    2500-3500: Rising Star (picture of shooting star)
    3500-5000: Lead Singer (picture of microphone)
    5000-6500: Hit Artist (picture of record + needle)
    6500-8500: SuperStar (picture of star)
    8500-10000: SingStar (picture of double S with glitter)
    All ranking pictures of animated and cartoonish.

So yeah. I definitely recommend this for anyone who has young children. The current scoring system, which is fine for adults, can be overly harsh to young children when it says "Awful" or "Tone deaf". The new system is a great improvement. It's something which I'd never even considered previously (I have young nephews and nieces), but now it kind of seems like something obvious that should have been added a long time ago. Definite thumbs up.

Tntnnbltn

More from the US Blog...
Erin English replied on December 2, 2009 at 11:38 am

Sadly, SingStar Motown will not be releasing in the US. We are hoping to have Motown content as DLC at some point soon.
It's starting to sound more and more like a UMG deal is actually possible as opposed to the standard PR of 'we are always working with labels blah blah blah'.

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow just read the Erin English replies on the blog. I guess the US Store either has the most criticism, and B, has the longest time in getting artist and labels to lend their songs and videos?
The US/CA stores are easily the worst off of all the regions. In addition to the SingStore's general lack of major artists (eg, Michael Jackson), the US store has frequently missed out on a number of songs/artists that other stores have received. That list I posted for you a while back showed the difference between the UK/AUS stores and the US store, particularly evident with Universal Music Group artists. In addition to this, there was a period in 2008 when certain songs weren't released in the US, only to appear in a later update months down the line (eg. some Coldplay songs, Sara Bareilles, Gorillaz...).

I think in part some of the complaints are because many people in the US aren't used to being treated as second best. I mean, I know a lot of the song updates do suck for a US audience, but I think people are more willing to complain when they see a whole bunch of good songs made available to people in other regions. Usually things happen the other way around, with the US getting preferential treatment and PAL regions getting the shaft.

teekun

Tntnnbltn said:
Yeah I know. I was able to go to the download history and just hit square to download them all. Currently 17 of 196.

Ugh, this is going to be a nightmare. I have never had very good download rates with the Singstore, and I can't imagine how long its going to take to re-download everything. I'd guess a majority of my songs were purchased before April 2009 :(

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Any official comments from the SingStar folks? I mean it's the busiest time of the year for parties! At least if they could provide an option for automatic deletion of locked songs, to save bandwith. If not, I'll have to redownload 516 songs, I don't have time to check every one individually.

Toki767

I'm not sure if anyone's noticed, but I don't think there's a way to sort the songs on the carousel by song anymore since Square now shows and hides the Singstore. Maybe I missed a button though.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Toki767 said:
I'm not sure if anyone's noticed, but I don't think there's a way to sort the songs on the carousel by song anymore since Square now shows and hides the Singstore. Maybe I missed a button though.

There is a button, check at the bottom. I don't remember what they changed it to. L2?

Toki767

I'll have to check. I was looking at the bottom for the commands but I never saw it come up. The first time I pressed square to show the Singstore, my carousel locked up and all I could do was turn left and right. Couldn't back out or choose a song. :lol

Tntnnbltn

JeFfRey said:
Any official comments from the SingStar folks?
Update went live not long before office closing time in the UK.

Toki767 said:
It was always L2. Square used to be charts and triangle shuffle, till they changed triangle to context menu and square to shuffle. And now shuffle is on R3 and square is SingStore On Demand.

At this point the game just needs to have customisable controls.

Wow Im so excited, USPS has my Singstar Vol 2 at the post office. Looks like tomorrow Ill finally get to experience the game. First song to get from the store will have to be Ryan Cabrera - "On the Way Down". I love that song to death.

polg

It is really bad to see everybody having issues with the path :/

I cancelled the update and when I tried to buy some more songs... it asks me to download the patch! FUUUUUUU-

What to do?! I wanted to buy some songs for a party tomorrow!

* XMB User Player Profiles – When adding player names into your new game, you can now select from names stored on XMB (i.e. login profiles).
I wonder if this means you can now exceed the 20 friends limit by using login profiles as additional friends or whether it's still capped. Find it really annoying deleting people all the time.

Toki767

Played with the new patch a bit. I must say online is very quick now. I don't know what kind of new servers they got but I'm loving it. :lol

Shinriji

My impressions about this update:

- The initial loading is even worst than the last patch. Usually takes 50 seconds to boot until the Intro movie. Now is taking more than a minute. Incredibly annoying.
- The stuttering and 30fps menus are mostly gone.
- The XMB User players profiles is mostly useless for me. I will still be using my singstar name (that is different from my PSN name), and the friend cap is still too low (as micromagic, I am deleting and adding friends all the time).
- If you're browsing the song selection screen, when a song is downloaded is automatically added to your list.
- In "My singstar online" they added a quick link to your club (nice).
- But they restricted the club's media if the song isn't avaliable to buy (A warning says that you can't see this media because the song isn't avaliable in your area). That's pretty retarded, because the community videos still works normally.
- The Singstore on demand is the best addition ever and worth the trouble to redonwload all the songs (I lost 18 but downloaded again without much problems).

Tntnnbltn

polg said:
It is really bad to see everybody having issues with the path :/

I cancelled the update and when I tried to buy some more songs... it asks me to download the patch! FUUUUUUU-

What to do?! I wanted to buy some songs for a party tomorrow!
My disgruntled-ness has probably decreased over the last 24 hours. I have to redownload a shit load of songs (50/196 currently complete), but from what I can tell the software is perfectly stable so it's a once-off inconvenience.

As for your party, like I said if you have two discs then update only one and use that to browse the store. Then stick in the other disc and play the game using 4.21. It's inconvenient, and in the long run I just recommend redownloading songs that don't work with 4.30, but (depending on the size of your catalogue) you mightn't be able to redownload all your songs in time for your party.

Tntnnbltn

Facebook / PS Blog / et al:
Hi everyone, I’ve just received this message from Dave Ranyard, SingStar Game Director, about the issues some of you are finding with the new update:

‘Firstly, please let me reassure you that the v4.30 update for SingStar is an extremely stable update and fixes all the issues in v4.20 as well as adding new features.

However, I am aware that some users are being locked out of their downloaded content. Anyone experiencing problems with songs that they have already downloaded can resolve this by deleting this content from the options menu and re-downloading the content affected. I do recognise that this is far from ideal for those of you who have been extremely loyal to SingStar over the years and own a substantial amount of downloadable content.

The SingStar team are looking into resolving the issue now and it is our goal to fix this as soon as possible so that you do not have to re-download your songs. We have asked a lot from you all and are grateful for all the loyalty and support. We are as disappointed as you are.

I will keep you updated as soon as we have new information.

Regards,
Dave Ranyard

Also note there are new restrictions to what media you can view. You can no longer view media from other users that is not available on your store. To be honest, this makes a lot of sense (from a licensing POV) and should have been done day one. If I licensed rights to Michael Jackson songs for Australia only then I wouldn't have the rights to broadcast 30 second segments of those songs to people in the UK, US, etc.

Tntnnbltn

‘Thanks to your feedback there is now a fix for people experiencing “Usage Rights” restrictions on their songs. A new patch will be released very soon and you will not be required to delete and re-download your content.

Please note that you can still play all your downloaded content with the current SingStar v4.30 update as long as you delete and re-download any songs that display the “Usage Rights” restrictions. We appreciate the frustration this may cause some of you and we sincerely apologise for this.’
(from PS Blog)

Returners

Tntnnbltn said:
(from PS Blog)

11grbsw.gif

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I read the blog, good thing they are coming up with a fix. I'm still not a happy camper.

Regarding song licensing, it really shows how outdated music compagnies are. You can see a post by someone who just want to see their frends perfomance. Well guess what, we have friends all across the world now! Their answer: no you can't see them because of licensing issues.

Top Bottom