• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six new Stadia Pro games for September 2020 (including Bomberman!)

Agent X

The Stadia community blog has announced the following "free" games that will be available to Stadia Pro subscribers in September 2020:
  • Super Bomberman R Online (first on Stadia)
  • Gunsport (first on Stadia)
  • Hitman
  • Hello Neighbor
  • Metro Last Light Redux
  • Embr
The blog also mentions that Kona, GRID, and Get Packed are all set to leave Stadia Pro after August 31. They'll still be available to Stadia Pro members that have already claimed them on their acounts.

Kotaku also has a look at Super Bomberman R Online for Stadia. It supports up to 64 players, and will be priced at $9.99 (if you don't claim it with Stadia Pro).

tr44w9lkg64rrzi9vovq.png

I've been saying for a while that Stadia should focus on getting some good games that are inexpensive (under $10) and have the potential to appeal to a wide audience. This is exactly the type of game Stadia needs!

waylo

Banned
Anyone know what the Stadia numbers are looking like at this point? They were awful around launch, I can't imagine many people are still sticking with this thing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Stadia's free games are such a mess lol

I had a three month trial and I barely used it, but in those three months I was able to put like 20 games on my account. Now, looking at their available list, there are 11 more games I could add if I subscribe today. Next week, there will be 6 more. At this point, it feels like they're just throwing tons and tons of games at people and hoping they'll stay subscribed to keep access to their library.

For the life of me, I don't know why they didn't just go with Stadia Pro being a subscription service like Netflix or Game Pass. They might as well have.

Google should have called it something else. Stadia is the name of some new radical STD that you give to someone. Ugh. I think I just got Stadia.

buizel

Banned
What do you mean?

Explaining the joke time😍

Stadia is realistically far away from being the paramount of gaming donsoles, that making Nintendo obsolete is far fetched. Also a running joke that Nintendo is going 3rd party at the slightest thing

Fyi I really enjoy stadia on my phone , ran really well

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Speaking of Bomberman

pqVE4f8.png

So it looks like the version they're giving away is the Premium Edition. After December (when the premium edition leaves Stadia) you'll still be able to play the base game with a Pro subscription but it will cost $9.99 for the additional characters. Or you can buy the premium edition outright without Pro for $9.99. What a clusterfuck.

Agent X

I had a three month trial and I barely used it, but in those three months I was able to put like 20 games on my account. Now, looking at their available list, there are 11 more games I could add if I subscribe today. Next week, there will be 6 more. At this point, it feels like they're just throwing tons and tons of games at people and hoping they'll stay subscribed to keep access to their library.

That's how it was with me. I took the free two-month trial in April, and when that expired in June, I figured I'd keep it around for a bit longer, since I've had some fun with the free games they've given away. Now I've got close to 30 games in my personal collection.

My subscription runs out in 2 weeks, and I had considered cancelling, especially since some of the same games are also available on PS Now. However, this looks like a solid month, and I'm quite interested in trying that Bomberman game, so maybe I'll stick around a bit longer.

For the life of me, I don't know why they didn't just go with Stadia Pro being a subscription service like Netflix or Game Pass. They might as well have.

I've been saying that for a long time. They should have done this from the beginning.

In the early days of Stadia, they only gave away one or two games to Pro members each month, but in the last few months they've greatly increased the number of free games. It looks like they're approaching the glory days of PS Plus, where they used to give away 6 games every month, and keep some of them in the rotation longer than a month. If you subscribe for the first time right now, then you get something like 12 games right off the bat.

With all of this in mind, it appears that they're gradually going to transition Stadia Pro into something more closely resembling PS Now or Xbox Game Pass, where new members might get access to 100 or more games. It will surely take some time to get there, maybe a year or two.

Can you watch people playing Stadia live on YouTube yet?

According to the Kotaku article that I linked to above, Super Bomberman R Online is supposed to be one of the first games to support this feature.

baphomet

Explaining the joke time😍

Stadia is realistically far away from being the paramount of gaming donsoles, that making Nintendo obsolete is far fetched. Also a running joke that Nintendo is going 3rd party at the slightest thing

Fyi I really enjoy stadia on my phone , ran really well

I'm not sure you understand how jokes work.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Anyone know what the Stadia numbers are looking like at this point? They were awful around launch, I can't imagine many people are still sticking with this thing.

The Stadia app, which you need, was downloaded 1 million times as of April. So, the numbers are not looking very good.

Banned
I still can't stop laughing when I see what kind of exclusives Stadia has. a cloud gaming service that has 11TF servers.
many of them could literally natively run on most fucking TVs nowadays. I had a mid range Samsung TV about 4 years ago that ran games like Asphalt 8 on its internal APU.
absolute waste of bandwidth and input latency for literally no reason, that's what 90% of stadia exclusives are 🤣 when TVs have processors good enough to run similarly complex games these days

Last edited:

Agent X

The Stadia app, which you need, was downloaded 1 million times as of April. So, the numbers are not looking very good.

This isn't really a good metric to gauge Stadia use.

On one hand, you are no longer required to use the Stadia app to sign up for or access the service.

On the other hand, it is possible for someone to download the Stadia app without using the service.

Agent X

Super Bomberman R Online is the real deal, folks.

The game starts off with 16 connected grids (or boards, as the cool kids say), each with 4 players facing off in a Bomberman match. After about a minute or two of play, the round will end. All of the grids are cleared of blocks, and you have about 20 seconds to either stay in the same grid, or move to one of the adjacent grids. During this period, some grids become "dangerous", and if you're caught on one of these when the timer runs out, your game immediately ends. You and the other players must scramble to get onto one of the "safe" grids, so that you can continue bombing each other to smithereens in the next round. Depending on where the remaining players decide to go, you might face one opponent that round, or you might face seven. This mayhem continues for a few rounds, until only one Bomberman stands supreme.

It's madness. It's addictive. There are some serious Bomberman players out there on the Interwebs, with devious tactics that will make you question life, the universe, and everything. I've gotten into the final 10 (actually did so on my first game), and even the final 5 on my best effort, but couldn't be the last Bomberman standing.

This is unquestionably one of Stadia's finest games. It's definitely worth playing. If you're eligible for a free Stadia Pro trial and haven't redeemed it yet because you were waiting for some cool masterpiece to come down the pike, then here's your chance.

I think it’s too little too late. I said it once, several times and I’ll say it again. Why didn’t they just emulate a Gamepass-like strategy with a monthly subscription service that streams games instead? Who wants to pay for the right to stream games?

I think it’s too little too late. I said it once, several times and I’ll say it again. Why didn’t they just emulate a Gamepass-like strategy with a monthly subscription service that streams games instead? Who wants to pay for the right to stream games?
It is because Google didn't want to pay game developers lump sums for their games at a loss. The plan they used was the only way they could get games on their service; by having the customers picking up the tab.

The issue is, if the customer is too cheap to buy a physical console, they are certainly too cheap to pay 60 dollars per game.

Now, it seems the Stadia employees are getting desperate and is starting to pay money to get free games on the service, but it is too late now methinks. Their pricing strategy, their entire business plan, was simply wrong from the start. Pivoting now might keep some percentage of people, but it is not going to bring in new customers.

PhaseJump

Banned
I am into tech and video games enough to lurk on all kinds of news sites and forums.

Every time I read a headline about Stadia, it's a total reminder that the brand and platform actually exists. I don't know what it is, but I am sure I will forget about it again in less than a week.

Top Bottom