• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Dizzy-4U

Ravi, Is the text in the tutorial only available in english? Not really an issue for me but I'll probably have to translate to some friends if there is no spanish option.

Yoo, wtf, this is still on? I'll have to check the archive out later.
James, David and Mike really outdid themselves. They covered all the game mechanics, DLC plans, PC plans, tutorials, balancing, each character in the game and got tons of jokes and miscellaneous stuff in between. They also took the time to give KOF shout outs at the end haha.

Now it is time to prepare my body for Skullgirls and Captivate.

2a/5a on Wednesday.

ibjTaEFoS6IfLP.gif

Ravidrath

Ravi, Is the text in the tutorial only available in english? Not really an issue for me but I'll probably have to translate to some friends if there is no spanish option.

All the text in the game is localized into English, French, Italian, German and Spanish.

I think the NA release includes Spanish and French? So you should be good.

Uh... we've heard some vague complaints about the quality of the translation from some European media, so I'm a little scared about that. For something like the tutorial I think it's probably OK since it's more informative than flavorful.

Either way, please let me know how it is, because Autumn seems open to updating and improving it, and I want as much ammo to make that happen if it's necessary.

Dizzy-4U

All the text in the game is localized into English, French, Italian, German and Spanish.

I think the NA release includes Spanish and French? So you should be good.

Uh... we've heard some vague complaints about the quality of the translation from some European media, so I'm a little scared about that. For something like the tutorial I think it's probably OK since it's more informative than flavorful.

Either way, please let me know how it is, because Autumn seems open to updating and improving it, and I want as much ammo to make that happen if it's necessary.
Awesome. I'll let you know if I see something wrong.

alstein

We have other projects we're pitching (including my game), but until one of those is signed, we're a Skullgirls-only studio.

Hopefully Skullgirls' hype and success gets some more interest from publishers to revive interest in our other projects.

Question: if a 3rd DLC char is made, how is that character going to be picked? I'd love to see a contest for it, I'm with Minette if that happens.

Ravidrath

I'll switch to Spanish to nitpick then. :p I'll post any mishaps in the translation if you don't mind.

Please do.

Most of the word just seems to be... disappointment? Because they like the story and world, but the jokes sound like they are very literally translated and only make sense if you know the English joke or wordplay they're referencing.

For example, I think someone indicated that Peacock's line "Let's paint the town red!" is literally translated?

Question: if a 3rd DLC char is made, how is that character going to be picked? I'd love to see a contest for it, I'm with Minette if that happens.

Assuming Autumn wants to fund them, I think we would do a maximum of 8 DLC characters before moving onto the next game. They're pretty much already planned out, although the exact order might change.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised at the love for Minette. I've always like the character, but I really didn't expect people to take to an anthropomorphic fish girl so strongly.

Masaki_

Watched everything and wish there was more. Is there any chance the game will be at some of the weekly events like Big 2, WNF/TRB, Thursday Night Throwdowns, Southtown Ranbats, etc? I wanna drown in Skullgirls footage this week.

Ravidrath

Watched everything and wish there was more. Is there any chance the game will be at some of the weekly events like Big 2, WNF/TRB, Thursday Night Throwdowns, Southtown Ranbats, etc? I wanna drown in Skullgirls footage this week.

We'll be at Thursday Run Back this week, in fact.

I think I'm going to go, maybe even dare to be on the stream - it will be my first!

joe2187

Banned
I have to say, I'm a little surprised at the love for Minette. I've always like the character, but I really didn't expect people to take to an anthropomorphic fish girl so strongly.

she's cute and unique.

and these tumblr's are amazing character hype generators!

Seems like she would play like Roll.

I cannot believe this game is finally coming out today...

tumblr_ltw4zmZ1Bc1qafrh6.jpg

Thus, I slumber... in order to last a very long night with some broads, that are so goddamn Based.

remist

Someone convince me to buy this. Street Fighter X Tekken was my first fighting game and I had some fun with it, but most everyone playing that game online was too good for me. I like the characters and the tutorial stuff, but I'm afraid this game is going to be even more hardcore online because it's a little niche and won't get many people who aren't already really into fighting games. I don't mind losing a lot but I felt like I was getting beat so bad I wasn't learning anything or getting better in SFxT. Also wondering if there's a lot of necessary 1 and 2 frame links in this game or if it's mostly chains?

danmaku

Someone convince me to buy this. Street Fighter X Tekken was my first fighting game and I had some fun with it, but most everyone playing that game online was too good for me. I like the characters and the tutorial stuff, but I'm afraid this game is going to be even more hardcore online because it's a little niche and won't get many people who aren't already really into fighting games. I don't mind losing a lot but I felt like I was getting beat so bad I wasn't learning anything or getting better in SFxT. Also wondering if there's a lot of necessary 1 and 2 frame links in this game or if it's mostly chains?

The game should be much more beginner friendly than SFxT. There's a tutorial not only for game rules but also for fighting game fundamentals (blocking, mixups, etc.) and combos are mostly chain based.

AEREC

Im pretty sure I will be getting this on the 360 (since I have a HRAP for it). I never paid this game any attention until recently but it looks like the controls resemble the SF series. Do a lot of fundamentals from Street Fighter carry over into this game?

RS4-

Since they were talking about the alpha counter dash having some sort of invinc. what if they other player DHCs? Sure the defending player could block, but if he doesn't?

I wonder who has more priority or if the dhc'ing player is vulnerable.

PSN Euro bros... Eurogamer is reporting that this game is out "in the coming weeks" for the triple.

I am sorry :(

Wonder what's causing the delay. Language support?
Yo Ravi, I took a stab at trying to figure out what the Trophies mean and how to get them-
1- Happy Birthday
You got a present!
*Could be Peacock related? She has a special move wherein she throws random objects (think Lei-Lei/Hsein-ko's projectile attack in Darkstalkers/(U)MvC3) so maybe one of her throwable objects is birthday related?
**Or maybe the game keeps track of which character you use the most and when it's that's characters birthday you get the trophy? You can view character's birthdates in the official site:

2- World Warrior Princess
Wander the world... unintentionally.
*Prob. beat the game's arcade mode.

3- Call the Wardrobe Department
Make dozens of costume changes.
*Pretty sure you must play a match with each character's colors. Whether this'll pop up if you use training mode is to be seen.
...but to be safe, better do this in any mode but Training.

4- Breaking the Cycle
Retaliate against repetition.
*The game has a Burst system like in Guilty Gear/BlazBlue, so I believe performing one will net you this trophy.

5- Toil and Trouble
A sesquidecemvir of seven simulacra synergizing simultaneously.
*Looking up sesquidecemvir via a dictionary doesn't yield much, but it's apparently a combination of two words: sesqui & decemvir. I'm guessnig this is a Double related trophy since it says...seven smulacra synergizing. Maybe it's performing a combo while transforming into the 7 other characters?

6- Medical Board Will Be Notified
Your opponents aren’t the only ones under the knife.
*All I can guess about this trophy is that it is Valentine related...maybe you need to use her Lvl. 5 super in Tag team mode? Since her Lvl. 5 super ressurects a fallen character.

7- My Pain Will Be Visited Upon You
Sometimes you can take it, and sometimes you just want to lash out.
*Painwheel related, I don't know much outside of the basics about her moves sad to say.

8- Getting A Head In the Game
Sometimes you just need to relax and take the weight off your shoulders.
*Ms. Fortune related, maybe you need to do her head-off move 100 times or some such?

9- Good Hunting, Commander
A good commander knows how to wield her forces effectively.
*Parasoul related, prob. you must summon all her soldiers in one match?

10- The Kitchen Sink
Throw everything at them, including...
*Peacock related, I think it's self explanatory~

11- Real Circus Damage
And now, for the main attraction... Grappling!
*Cerebella related. Perhaps one needs to win a round or match using only her grab specials and super(s)?

12- Instant Hair Dash
Let your parasite feel the wind between his tendrils.
*Fillia related...I got nothin', maybe you need to get her winpose which has her hair pose much like Ryu's classic arm cross pose?

13- An Ensemble Cast
There may be no I in “team,” but there is in “variety.”
*Make every team combination possible when playing as Tag team. For 3-character teams there's around 21 combinations. For 2-character teams there're 28 combinations.
At least that's what I think =p

14- Prolix
Words are fun - expand your vocabulary.
*Prob. view every character's winquote?

15- Sküllgirls
Graduation day has arrived at last! Mrs. Victoria’s so proud of you.
*Pretty sure you gotta finish the Tutorial mode...which is very robust from what I hear.

16- Threads of Fate
Follow all threads of fate to their inevitable conclusions.
*I think this is gained by completing Story mode.
Happy Birthday is probably kill 2 characters at the same time via bad assist call.

Crocodile

For some reason I'm expecting the final stage to be reminiscent of "Fetus of God" from Darkstalkers. I dunno why. If you do already know what the final stage is though, don't even bother talking about it yet; I wanna be as spoiler free as possible.

Blueblur1

The information presented in the IGN review is concerning. The lack of command lists and paltry modes make the game a much less attractive package for someone like myself who isn't great at fighting games and doesn't take them seriously. Probably won't buy it now. :/

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The information presented in the IGN review is concerning. The lack of command lists and paltry modes make the game a much less attractive package for someone like myself who isn't great at fighting games and doesn't take them seriously. Probably won't buy it now. :/

Oh you'll be fine

joe2187

Banned

Well, there is a Demo you can try, and the Demo includes the godlike tutorial mode which teaches you HOW to play fighting games, watching the Live stream Mike Z did yesterday, it looks pretty in depth and amazing.

Dachande

How are in-game command lists that big of a deal? They're getting patched in anyway.

What sort of modes are you missing that would make you change your mind? I can really only think of a Survival mode and more options for a proper Training dummy.

skullgirls would be a good choice if you want to put in effort to learn to get better at fighting games. the tutorials in this game seem like they sound pretty good for beginners and it doesn't seem to have any bs in it. if all you want is an easy game thats fun to play, that doesn't really require an investment to learn, umvc3 is the game you're probably looking for.

daschande said:
What sort of modes are you missing that would make you change your mind? I can really only think of a Survival mode and more options for a proper Training dummy.
well, the review stated that the single-player mode's ai is pretty unforgiving and not beginner friendly. once you've graduated from tutorial mode, the only things left are training and online versus. and online versus is completely dependant on the matchmaking and netcode.

As I'm from the UK, I can't watch UltraChen's content live without waking up super early, so I'm only now watching the Skullgirls content from last night. As always, very happy with UltraChen's smart and clean style of presentation.

Bit sad that dummy control didn't make it into the game, another staple feature that will hopefully be in before the PC version.

Given that they've mentioned in the past that the PC version will be able to take full advantage of the high-resolution sprites, I am probably going to be grabbing it on PC and a 1080p monitor, and of course the 360 version tomorrow.

Also, this game is 1200 MSP, folks. Capcom charge more for costumes. Don't pass this up if you like fighting games.

EDIT: Also, I'll be writing a review from a fighting game background on Thursday - it's only fair to review after 24 hours and with live code and online play - but so far it looks like the reviews are definitely what you'd expect. "Very good, art style is problematic".

Reviewing prior to a game's release (specifically a game with online play - the important thing is a feature-complete copy of the game that has been looked at from all angles) is like a movie critic reviewing a new film prior to the final cut. It's not good practice and doesn't reflect the quality of the game.

Dachande

Is any of the tutorial stuff in the demo, by the way? I have a friend who could benefit on his current project from learning all that kind of stuff, but he's not a fighting game fan and I know he won't buy the game blind for the privilidge.

Lothars

It sounds like the Tutorial mode is really good and covers alot of basics for fighting games but yeah I agree it was an oversight to not include a command list.

Top Bottom