• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Crocodile

skullgirls would be a good choice if you want to put in effort to learn to get better at fighting games. the tutorials in this game seem like they sound pretty good for beginners and it doesn't seem to have any bs in it. if all you want is an easy game thats fun to play, that doesn't really require an investment to learn, umvc3 is the game you're probably looking for.

People keep saying this but I don't know if I agree. Marvel is very unforgiving and they don't tell you how to do shit in that game. It's fun but the game is salt personified.

Well, the review stated that the single-player mode's ai is pretty unforgiving and not beginner friendly. once you've graduated from tutorial mode, the only things left are training and online versus. and online versus is completely dependent on the matchmaking and netcode.

Hard AI? Hasn't the same been said about every fighting game ever? I'm inclined to call BS on that just based on precedent; its almost never true. More often than not, the reviewers REALLY suck and they of course don't have the time to put much of any effort with review deadlines and whatnot.

Is any of the tutorial stuff in the demo, by the way? I have a friend who could benefit on his current project from learning all that kind of stuff, but he's not a fighting game fan and I know he won't buy the game blind for the privilege.

Contents of the Demo:
  • Two Characters, Filia and Cerebella
  • An abbreviated Arcade Mode, with three AI battles
  • Local versus play, limited to duo teams
  • Four tutorials
  • Practice Room

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
It sounds like the Tutorial mode is really good and covers alot of basics for fighting games but yeah I agree it was an oversight to not include a command list.

It wasnt an oversight. There was no memory left, so they couldn't put it in.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Then something else should have been removed. There's no excuse for a fighting game to not have an in-game move list in 2012. Especially a game that's download-only.

RS4-

There is dumb AI, cheap AI and smart AI.

Snk games for the most part are rather cheap, feels like they read your inputs and hit you with stupid shit.

Capcom ones are just dumb and you can gimmick your way through the games.

Smart AI, not sure about that yet. Maybe VF?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Then something else should have been removed. There's no excuse for a fighting game to not have an in-game move list in 2012. Especially a game that's download-only.

Theyll figure it out, but unless you can tell me what you would rather get rid of and when they could find the 2 weeks necessary to implement it instead of working on game breaking bugs days before release .... Its not as simple as you make it out to be.

Dachande

It's more important for the game to actually function correctly. I'd rather have no movelists on release than to have certain character combinations disallowed because of a lack of memory.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Again, not like I care either way, but how much memory would a few page PDF have taken?

I would be fine with the removal of phrases like Garbage Day and Furserker Purrage or whatever!

People keep saying this but I don't know if I agree. Marvel is very unforgiving and they don't tell you how to do shit in that game. It's fun but the game is salt personified.
see, but thats the thing--it doesn't need to tell you how to do anything because its a pretty basic game at low level. in a beginner level setting, you can get by with 1 or 2 buttons for numerous characters. pizza cutter, frying pan, hulk smash, foot dive, hhhhhhhh... i mean yeah, these won't work high level, but they're enough to get by in low level play. in terms of mid and high level play, i would think that one would be resourceful enough to find outside info if they're really dedicated on getting better. i mean the game does have one of the best strategy guides out there combined with one of the biggest online communities.

rsf4- said:
Smart AI, not sure about that yet. Maybe VF?
no such thing as a smart ai. it's all about how well you can fake it.

V_Arnold

When it's a feature that's become standard over the past 15 years, you kind of do.

Yeah, but also, once you are in the training room and use your brain for what is like 2-3 minutes, you already memorized it - and after that, you will never be needed to go into movelist again.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
When it's a feature that's become standard over the past 15 years, you kind of do.

In an age of smartphones, laptops and tablets... I mean I can see it being somewhat of a bummer but not unforgivable in the least.

Either way, roll on tomorrow... at which point I will likely bitch too :3

vg260

So it's possible , but difficult to implement in time so it didn't make the cut. Just like couch co-op in 360 SFxT,...but this is ok since it's not Capcom? ...interesting. Double standard perhaps?

Dachande

So it's possible , but difficult to implement in time so it didn't make the cut. Just like couch co-op in 360 SFxT,...but this is ok since it's not Capcom? ...interesting. Double standard perhaps?

Everyone else is giving Reverge a pass as they've already declared that it'll be the first thing they patch in. It's not the same situation.

McBradders

How is it even remotely similar?

Joke post, surely? SURELY?

It's not okay. Haven't you seen all the bitching people have been doing about it?

It's also not the same thing. One is a gameplay feature. The other is extra info that you can easily find elsewhere, or figure out yourself if you've ever played a fighting game before.

Also, Capcom and Reverge aren't the same size and don't have the same resources. Not that you shouldn't hold the smaller company up to standards of delivering a quality product, but when they skimp on superficial flourishes don't act like it's the same thing as a big company rushing a game to market to make a quick buck.

I need some opinions from players who have played this and mvc2. I want to know if it's any good and if it's really comparable to my favorite game in the world, mvc2. I miss my MSP.

vg260

How is it even remotely similar?

Joke post, surely? SURELY?

It's not a biggie to me personally, but not a joke post. In both cases something thought to be standard was left out due to technical issues and time/budget constraints. That part is pretty much the same. How it's being addressed afterward is different, obviously.

McBradders

It's not a biggie to me personally, but not a joke post. In both cases something thought to be standard was left out due to technical issues and time/budget constraints. That part is pretty much the same. How it's being addressed afterward is different, obviously.

An in game movelist is at all similar to an entire game feature? Bwah?

IronLich

PSN: RADRAD1985 , South Philadelphia, PA

Just another GAF name to add to the wall, FYI. Kinda high probability of sampling Ms.Fortune and Filia. I wasn't feeling this game until I realized it was close to release, and then oh crap, it became my duty to spread semi awareness.

Did they ever promise move lists in Skullgirls? Is it a feature critical to gameplay like a heavily advertised mode? Are they working with the same budget and team size as Capcom? Did they wait to say anything about the move lists until after launch, and then use flat out lies as an excuse for not implementing it? It doesn't matter if they patch in move lists or not... this isn't even remotely similar. Oh yeah, Skullgirls costs $15 also.

vg260

An in game movelist is at all similar to an entire game feature? Bwah?

One could argue that an entire game's network feature is much more difficult to program, test and implement than just a simple move list, and by that basis, a movelist is a much more egregious omission. I think both companies screwed up on these, and criticism is fair for both. That's all I'm saying. But whatever, this discussion is derailing the thread.

One could argue that an entire game feature is much more difficult to implement than just a simple move list, and by that basis, a movelist is a much more egregious omission. I think both companies screwed up on these, and criticism is fair for both. But whatever, this discussion is derailing the thread.

my god you are sounding dumb. a heavily advertised mode, which also appears in the game manual, not appearing in game is much more egregious. Not to mention all of the ridiculous lies used as excuses for the feature's absence, and Capcom having the team size and budget to actually implement said feature that is pretty standard even with XBLA games. And come on... it's a feature kind of critical to SFxT especially with tournaments running 2v2 as the norm now or just enjoying the game on a casual basis with friends. Skullgirls had to leave out a standard feature, but it is nothing more than text on screen. Text you can find easily on the internet. I'll assume if you're paying for a broadband connection to download Skullgirls you probably have access to the internet for a move list. This isn't the same at all. Stop making my brain hurt.

There are two important differences:
1) The movelists are not missing in only one version of the game.
2) The game did not advertise the feature then remove it, as in the case of SFxT.

There are also three factors that affect this:
1) Reverge is (at least we assume) a significantly smaller team than the dev team for SFxT.
2) Reverge is asking for 25% of the money that Capcom asked for.
3) Reverge's customer relations has been outstanding, wheras SFxT's customer relations were horribly, horribly botched. The only nice thing I have to say about SFxT's customer relation program is that they hired a guy from the London FGC to be the UK community manager.

EDIT: From looking through the 360 SFxT manual, I've not found evidence of it being mentioned as a feature.

NEO0MJ

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;36814655 said:
Stop making my brain hurt.

2&2 is always like that when it comes to defending Capcom. Real mystery how he judges game flaws and how people react to them.

Super Norcal Install

Just something to tide people over. The Norcall footage starts Skullgirls at the two hour mark and there is a lot of high level play. The end matches are fantastic.
This was a great watch. At first I wasn't so hot on this game but damn has it come together well. Gives off a very coherent and unique "feel". Artstyle etc doesn't bug me in the least anymore either, I guess it's just so different that it's going to be polarizing at first.

vg260

2&2 is always like that when it comes to defending Capcom. Real mystery how he judges game flaws and how people react to them.

I only defend looking at a situation with reason and not just lashing out irrationally.

I have a laundry list of dumb stuff I'm mad at Capcom about.

All tangential stuff aside, each company had to cut an expected feature to release a game within their schedule, and it's frustrating to potential customers. That's not really in question. I'm not saying don't give this game a fair shot. So people can relax.

Fuck me.

Don't read the edge review guys, they gave the game a 7 (pretty good score for Edge if I recall) but they spoil the shit out of various aspects of the game. Well at least I can still look forward to super secret unrevealed stage ...

ALSO START THE COUNTDOWN, HOURS FROM PSN RELEASE AHHHH @@@@ !!! (Skullgirls site seems to be responding slowly, are they updating movelists or adding forum functionality as we speak?!)

Gaf needs to stop being surprised when people are shocked at the lack of a movelist, just point em to Ravid's post about some of the reasoning and say that it's on the table for being in the first patch of the game.

I only defend looking at a situation with reason and not just lashing out irrationally.

I have a laundry list of dumb stuff I'm mad at Capcom about.

All tangential stuff aside, each company had to cut an expected feature to release a game within their schedule, and it's frustrating to potential customers. That's not really in question.

Frustrating? Yes, but they're completely different levels of frustrating. The internet isn't going to fix my copy of SFxT 360 I paid $60 for, but it can provide me the move list text I need for a $15 XBLA game. I really admire how you're able to find one similarity, ignore everything else, and run with it. You might have a future in cable news.

vg260

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;36815126 said:
Frustrating? Yes, but they're completely different levels of frustrating. The internet isn't going to fix my copy of SFxT I paid $60 for, but it can provide me the move list text I need for a $15 XBLA game.

No disagreement there, personally, but for a lot of casual players it could be a deal-breaker.

Dachande

Something that I'm a bit confused about: Is Double THE Skullgirl? or is it someone else?

No, someone else. I was confused about this for a while too, because of the "final boss will be playable" comment that I didn't know had been taken back, so I assumed Double was the final boss. There's another as-yet-unrevealed character.

Lothars

No disagreement there, personally, but for a lot of casual players it could be a deal-breaker.
Absolutely, I see your point and I agree with you, Capcom should be and is being taken to task for the 360 coop feature which should have been in the game but so should Reverge for the move list even though it's definitely not a deal breaker for me, I can see how it would be for others.

Top Bottom