• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

I knew you were good, Disco, but not THAT good. It burns me up that I can't see how all these matches played out on video.

Oh... and part two of five is now up for everyone to check out.
Regarding the MS stuff...

My sincere hope is that they will improve for the next generation of hardware, and I've heard rumors that their policies will be a lot more flexible next time around. I'm certain they're very much aware of Steam and developers' preference for it, and they must know that it would be a huge mistake not to change their strategy for this the next time around.

My feeling is that they're stuck in a 2005, pre-App Store mentality, and it's logistically difficult to change course mid-generation because of some of the early decisions they made.

Also, like many others, the difficulty with patches is a direct result of their decision to make a 360 SKU without a harddrive. If the next system has one in every system, then hopefully this patch stuff will be a thing of the past.
Hopefully you guys are making moves to use the easier services/stores instead of waiting for these mythical changes from Microsoft to take place.

Dachande

Oh hey - I'm in the UK and I'll gladly play, but I've been playing a lot of TTT2 recently so I'm all out of practice. And I'm only on 360, and I think Spanky's only PS3.

Want that patch..........

Ravidrath

You don't sound too excited. Do you know what games you are up against?

Hmm, I guess that came out wrong, because we are excited.

The field is...

Borderlands 2
Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse
Journey
Skullgirls​

I think we have a pretty good shot at winning with that field.

GG yesterday, Disco.

I came here expecting a gigantic write up, but now I'm worried that you are back in the lab looking for a way to make our next few sets a living hell. :p
Hes got other things in his mind.
I can't begin to imagine.
Hmm, I guess that came out wrong, because we are excited.

The field is...

Borderlands 2
Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse
Journey
Skullgirls​

I think we have a pretty good shot at winning with that field.
Journey seems like the toughest competition, but I think Skullgirls has a shot since the animations and characters are really in your face all the time. The variety of styles and movement in Skullgirls also blows away everything else imo. I've seen borderlands and while it looks nice the action kinda obscures the finer details. Game looks gorgeous in stills though.

Ravidrath

Journey seems like the toughest competition, but I think Skullgirls has a shot since the animations and characters are really in your face all the time. The variety of styles and movement in Skullgirls also blows away everything else imo. I've seen borderlands and while it looks nice the action kinda obscures the finer details. Game looks gorgeous in stills though.

Yeah, Journey is a gorgeous game, but it's not really animation-intensive at all. Also, I believe a lot of their animation is procedural, due to their sand-sliding mechanic.

GG yesterday, Disco.

I came here expecting a gigantic write up, but now I'm worried that you are back in the lab looking for a way to make our next few sets a living hell. :p

I can't begin to imagine.

There isn't really much to say. You killed my Painwheel this time around and did everything in that matchup exactly how you wanted it to. You didn't corner yourself, you were willing to go out of your way to knock me out of the air and you weren't constantly jumping backwards and making yourself vulnerable to air grabs. You played the matchup exactly the way you needed to in order to keep momentum on your side and you made sure that it was much harder for her to gain in any sort of momentum during the match. You even airgrabbed me a couple times while I was using her.

So bravo, you've learned how to deal with probably the most difficult matchup in the game.

As for how you can improve ... good question. As I said in one of my other write ups Im going to have the distinct advantage in the Peacock v. Peacock matchup due to simply having a mid ranged assist backing me, your only possible answer in that instance is to have a second assist character built specifically to throw stuff out at that range. When it comes to Parasoul v. Peacock I dont think I can expand any more than I already have. Frankly, even I don't know enough about the matchup and always have seem to have trouble taking on an effective Peacock with Parasoul.

What I can say is this though, Parasoul's mixup string off of a crHP -> jLP jLK jMP is VERY strong against characters that don't have air supers, thus very strong against a Peacock player. Do not underestimate the power of that mixup as it is something that the really good Parasoul players use and abuse when they can.

I don't think I have to explain to you the overall value of mixups in a game like this but Guitalex has recently put up a pretty fantastic overview all the same. Worth checking out if you haven't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDrl6SMsV1w

~~~

About the Annys, I just think it's funny how some can say that the animation transitions in Skullgirls are "jank" as it simultaneously is nominated for one of the industry's most prestigious animation awards. Shake My Head @ that entire "Best FG of the year" thread.

Worth highlighting more of margherita0141's really fantastic Parasoul play in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq3JKTU-bP8

Things of note :
  • Another fantastic showcase of Skullgirls' neutral / footsies oriented game
  • The uses for modified j.MK (umbrella float).
  • Corner Combos at 0:27 and 0:38. Totally stealing them

Guitalex (Fortune) v. Idiomatic (Peacock)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UMjBcdrJqQ

Complete Fortune destruction. This is how you play that character.

I tried to upload the third fight between me and Sky on Thursday, but my internet went off for one minute and now it won't upload for shit. I've tried so many times now, but it stays suck at "starting upload..." and it is driving me nuts. Goddamn I hate youtube sometimes.
Yeah, Journey is a gorgeous game, but it's not really animation-intensive at all. Also, I believe a lot of their animation is procedural, due to their sand-sliding mechanic.
Whatever they did worked. The game is just amazing to look at. It's only shortcoming is that it was too short. Oh well, not everything is perfect. I've gotten more enjoyment out of sub $20 games this year than I have from regular retail console games so I can't complain.
There isn't really much to say. You killed my Painwheel this time around and did everything in that matchup exactly how you wanted it to. You didn't corner yourself, you were willing to go out of your way to knock me out of the air and you weren't constantly jumping backwards and making yourself vulnerable to air grabs. You played the matchup exactly the way you needed to in order to keep momentum on your side and you made sure that it was much harder for her to gain in any sort of momentum during the match. You even airgrabbed me a couple times while I was using her.

So bravo, you've learned how to deal with probably the most difficult matchup in the game.
Something just clicked and I just kept moving forward. It was like an out of body experience haha. I wish I had recorded that...
As for how you can improve ... good question. As I said in one of my other write ups Im going to have the distinct advantage in the Peacock v. Peacock matchup due to simply having a mid ranged assist backing me, your only possible answer in that instance is to have a second assist character built specifically to throw stuff out at that range. When it comes to Parasoul v. Peacock I dont think I can expand any more than I already have. Frankly, even I don't know enough about the matchup and always have seem to have trouble taking on an effective Peacock with Parasoul.

What I can say is this though, Parasoul's mixup string off of a crHP -> jLP jLK jMP is VERY strong against characters that don't have air supers, thus very strong against a Peacock player. Do not underestimate the power of that mixup as it is something that the really good Parasoul players use and abuse when they can.

I don't think I have to explain to you the overall value of mixups in a game like this but Guitalex has recently put up a pretty fantastic overview all the same. Worth checking out if you haven't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDrl6SMsV1w

~~~
Yeah, this is my next challenge. Rising to the challenge against your three man team will be the hardest thing I've had to do yet. It honestly feels impenetrable right now. Even Painwheel was just a matter of applying certain ideas to actually beat her. I'm not so sure that it'll be possible to break through your assist wall enough to win consistently.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Let's go at it on Saturday. I wanna see what I can do.
About the Annys, I just think it's funny how some can say that the animation transitions in Skullgirls are "jank" as it simultaneously is nominated for one of the industry's most prestigious animation awards. Shake My Head @ that entire "Best FG of the year" thread.
I stopped taking fightingGAF seriously shortly after EVO. I don't hate anyone here, but I really held GAF to a higher standard. There is still some worthwhile conversation to be had here and there, but I mostly look at this place as a giant echo chamber now. Makes reading and posting in these fighting game threads A LOT easier.
Worth highlighting more of margherita0141's really fantastic Parasoul play in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq3JKTU-bP8

Things of note :
  • Another fantastic showcase of Skullgirls' neutral / footsies oriented game
  • The uses for modified j.MK (umbrella float).
  • Corner Combos at 0:27 and 0:38. Totally stealing them

Guitalex (Fortune) v. Idiomatic (Peacock)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UMjBcdrJqQ

Complete Fortune destruction. This is how you play that character.
I enjoyed the first video, but I had to stop halfway through the second. It was like watching a cat play with a ball of yarn. I felt so bad for Idio... :(
IGN has nominated us for Best Overall Fighting Game!

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012/Best_Overall_Fighting_Game

Go vote, and shit.
voi.jpg

I'm pretty sure Skullgirls literally has more "animation transitions" than any 2D fighting game released in the last decade. The only thing I could see that complaint being about is how during gameplay, the animations themselves can be so out there/exaggerated that cancelling many of them into something else may appear jarring to a viewer. As in, there aren't very many "transitions" back to a neutral state seen during competitive play compared to other games, partially by perception(compare chains to something like KOF, where many of them visually start and end within a very similar center of gravity to where they start regardless of cancelling), and partially because of the medium; 3D fighting games get interpolation/blending for free(well not literally free, but by comparison it might as well be) and the pacing typically allows normals to almost fully retract to neutral in an animation before player input interrupts that with a new action.

TLDR I think the complaint is that Skullgirls being a Marvel-esque game makes its Darkstalker-esque animations during competitive play look kooky to some onlookers.

#worldssmallestviolin

Also, voted. Yay.

Part three of five is out for the folks who enjoy watching my fights.

This was before something in my brain clicked and I finally got how to fight Disco's Painwheel so I actually show some faint rays of improvement when fighting against Sky's Painwheel. We also get to see some team action for once. I go up against Skyking's Cerebella and Parasoul. Definitely an easier fight for me. More videos will come up. I'm trying to do about two a week, but stupid youtube didn't want to upload anything on Chrome. I gotta record some fights with new people to highlight noticeable improvement...

Ravidrath

Just placed my vote. Felt the game was snubbed at the VGA. How could they not even nominate it?

I really have no idea how the VGAs work. And we haven't had PR representation to push that kind of stuff since the game came out, which can't help.

We're nominated for Best Animation at the Machinima awards today. We're up against some games with huge budgets, so we're pretty excited about the nomination alone.

Argh, forgot about Skullbats... well, not like I would have done all that well there, but I did want to sign up.

I did some online matches for the first time on PS3 two days ago and got curbstomped into Tier 1 in under 20 minutes. Didn't win once. PSN competition is brutal... or I'm just terrible, take your pick.

Mike's uploaded a nice long list of video he took during and after the Skullbat! He's split them into 2 playlists.

MikeZ vs Other People (including myself!)~
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_Ero2OhJtvAaL3o2wtYYQlP7iZlYjPvc

MikeZ Online Casuals~
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_Ero2OhJtvAdv0lRZY-TKRLeilRmRFkV

Highlights include :

MikeZ vs. Pali (2:40 for MADNESS.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gME8IHbLSQo

~~~
Going over and looking at my own footage vs. Mike was really helpful stuff. Think I started out the set with really sloppy play. It wasn't until the 5th round in the first vid or so that I got my rhythm and that's when Mike started to throw out his TEAM. Even then though I was dropping critical combos with Double, my Peacock zoning had some real flaws in it (Walk George to Air Bomb when they're at point blank does not work) and my Filia ... was solid when she wasn't being double snap killed due to poor decisions on my part. Hoping to do better against him next week.

Argh, forgot about Skullbats... well, not like I would have done all that well there, but I did want to sign up.

I did some online matches for the first time on PS3 two days ago and got curbstomped into Tier 1 in under 20 minutes. Didn't win once. PSN competition is brutal... or I'm just terrible, take your pick.

Definitely some brutal competition. Hope to see you at next Saturdays Ranbat all the same~

So Pali did this one combo, right . . .

Fuck

I'm not sure if I want to play the game right now! or never touch it again lol

That was too awesome. Punishing!

E: I don't know what's wrong, but a lot of the videos pause and get stuck way too much. Might not even be able to finish your set, Disco.

E2: Is that Mike laughing in the fourth vid? >_>

Ravidrath

Any news regarding new characters/stages...? or y'all not focused on that until the 360 gets patched/PC version is made...?

Nope, still no progress there.

Right now we're focused on getting funding to finish the PC version. Hopefully once we finish that, the sales are good enough that additional characters will make sense.

I think I need to restructure my Peacock team because Double's MK bomber is just no where near as effective with Peacock post-patch and it no longer has the same pressure capability to aid a character like Filia in any place but the corner.

Right now I feel like I'm losing Peacock primarily to rushdown people who use Double as a segway to their own offensive games. Peacock's projectiles have a really hard time dealing with Double's Hornet Bomber arc and so Im forced to either block or get hit, in either case losing my momentum. I guess I'll just highlight the problems Im having with my team atm.

Peacock - Filia - Double
- No safe DHC out for Peacock. At the moment I rely on Alpha Counters with Filia for getting Peacock out of sticky situations.

-Filia / Double (MK Bomber)no longer as effective a duo when Peacock is removed from the picture. Filia is sooo much better with a pressure style assist and outside of the corner double doesnt really offer that for Filia anymore. It's also pretty difficult to capitalize off the assist in any place out of the corner.

The original logic that went behind making the switch to MK bomber is that it would have a bit of the invincibility lost when it was nerfed while still allowing Peacock to throw stuff out at midscreen ... this hasn't really panned out though. MK Bomber is stuffed by just about anything and I lose the sheer amount of presence HK Bomber has in comparison. I also lose out on full screen crossup setups and its easier for my opponent to approach from the air with MK bomber vs. HK bomber as well. I then transition to my Filia / Double combination when Peacock dies and im left with an OKAY pressure assist to make up for it.

so ... let's change up the team a bit.

Peacock (HP Item Drop / George / HP) - Double (HK Bomber) - Filia (Up-Do)

With this setup I gain a safe DHC to get Peacock out at any time while still holding on to the Alpha Counter card whenever I need it. Peacocks zoning is made much stronger with Double's HK bomber vs. MK Bomber, and the backup team (Double/Filia) is I think a more formidable combination than the alternative Filia/Double(MK Bomber). If I need to hard tag then Filia's tag is much more difficult to punish than Double's tag which a person can see coming from a mile away. Im pretty meh on Filia anchor but with this setup I hopefully wont be seeing as many situations where Filia is forced to pull back a team to begin with. The post alpha counter team (Filia - Double - Peacock) is I think more beneficial for Peacock as well because with her in the last slot she has plenty of time to recover her red life.

tl;dr HK Bomber > MK bomber for my type of team.

Anyone down for games later in the week? =]

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Finally got around to playing skullgirls post patch. Ravi why you gotta nerf my Ms.Fortune BnB T_T I liked near touch of deathing everything with out any stupid loops being done T_T
Loss of the bounce on the air head spike caused it. Not that she ever needed it :lol

Ravidrath

Finally got around to playing skullgirls post patch. Ravi why you gotta nerf my Ms.Fortune BnB T_T I liked near touch of deathing everything with out any stupid loops being done T_T
Loss of the bounce on the air head spike caused it. Not that she ever needed it :lol

I did it just to fuck with you, because you stopped playing XIV!

I record all the BnBs in this thread for balance-based-justice if you scorn me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I did it just to fuck with you, because you stopped playing XIV!

I record all the BnBs in this thread for balance-based-justice if you scorn me.

I still played! Just at rare moments while I waited for 2.0! T_T

Not like she cant still almost one touch you still anyways :lol

Now I just need to blow up Solar on sunday after not playing for ages :D

I just remembered that I still want those DLC colors!

Miiiiiiiicroooooosoooooooooooooooft!

I'll be getting bodied in this week's SkullBats, as long as I can remember the time.

Ravidrath

Wish I could give you guys hope with regards to the 360 patch, but... yeah.

I was really hoping we could get the nod this week, which might have made it possible to get it out this year.

...But we didn't, and MS basically closes down for the rest of the year after this week. So we'll keep at it and keep pushing hard again in January.

::sigh::

If anyone wants to play, I'll be up for games all day until the SkullBats start.

Yo Ravi, the suggestion thread on srk reminded me of something that was shoot down for the console version. I asked about being able to select a character multiple times on the same team, and I think you guys said the memory limits of the PS360 wouldn't let you do it. Will we be able to do on the PC version?

Ravidrath

If anyone wants to play, I'll be up for games all day until the SkullBats start.

Yo Ravi, the suggestion thread on srk reminded me of something that was shoot down for the console version. I asked about being able to select a character multiple times on the same team, and I think you guys said the memory limits of the PS360 wouldn't let you do it. Will we be able to do on the PC version?

I'll ask Mike.

But while there are memory limits in play (mostly that we can't handle six of the largest character), I think he's against it for gameplay purposes, too? Mostly because if you want just one character, why not pick just that character? And the game wasn't balanced around being able to use the same character for assists.

Yea, ggs Beats. I haven't played in awhile either. I was basically learning how everyone fights as we were playing lol

My makeshift team was getting steamrolled, so staying solo was probably the smarter decision

I'll ask Mike.

But while there are memory limits in play (mostly that we can't handle six of the largest character), I think he's against it for gameplay purposes, too? Mostly because if you want just one character, why not pick just that character? And the game wasn't balanced around being able to use the same character for assists.

Ahh, I think you're right. Mike's no fun. >.>

There's a difference between one character and a team of the same character. That shouldn't even be a serious question.

As for balance, I don't see why that would change anything. If an assist is broken, it's going to be broken no matter who uses it.

I guess because the Capcom versus games don't let you do it by default, everyone's used to not having it or using it, but it just seems like an arbitrary limit to me. I want my Triple Double team so bad lol

Went 2 and 2 (with 1 bye so 3-2 but-not-really).

I expected it to be way more vicious after the PSN thrashing I got. I mean yeah, the top has a lot of killers, but I didn't expect to do better than 0-2.

EDIT: Also didn't expect so many other people to be going it solo! Had a lot of fun. I think you were one of the few people who had the presence of mind to start laming me out, Milk.

I can finally play the game again. Stupid final is over...

You aren't the only one. The people over there are too much for me in a tournament setting.

I didn't play anyone particularly difficult, but I don't think I played any of the killers either lol. There was one match that I basically gave away. I got at least one game off of two of the people I lost to, so it wasn't a hopeless situation. Got bodied so bad the last fight though.

I need a team, solo Double isn't going to cut it. Oh, and practice. I need to practice.

Went 2 and 2 (with 1 bye so 3-2 but-not-really).

I expected it to be way more vicious after the PSN thrashing I got. I mean yeah, the top has a lot of killers, but I didn't expect to do better than 0-2.

EDIT: Also didn't expect so many other people to be going it solo! Had a lot of fun. I think you were one of the few people who had the presence of mind to start laming me out, Milk.

For a split second I thought I'd seen your name somewhere before, but shrugged it off because it seems like it'd be common lol

And yea, I can't do anything with Double, so if sitting back on the other side of the screen works, I will

My connection was giving me grief over the course of the week so I decided not to participate. Even people who I had normally amazing connections with had just random spikes that would ruin the mood for me. Probably didn't help that I got destroyed by Guitalex and WingZero (how the hell did he go 5-0?) before the thing even started. Oh well, I think I figured out what the problem was (both routers broadcasting on same channel) so I'll be able to do up next week.

Gives me more time to mess around with the new team setup anyway.

Oh and shoutouts to the random dispute over who won the match between 2z and Murrowboy in the middle of the tournament. Skullbats is getting big enough to have drama apparently?

For a split second I thought I'd seen your name somewhere before, but shrugged it off because it seems like it'd be common lol

And yea, I can't do anything with Double, so if sitting back on the other side of the screen works, I will

Yeah, my name is a holdover from AOL. I just use it because it's easy(as in I know it'll never be taken), lol.

I go solo because I'm not really feeling the rest of the cast(playstyle-wise) outside of Painwheel. I think I may eventually pick Filia up, though. Then I'll have two characters who can perpetually move faster than my hands can really make them move instead of one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnUvi3pC9Ig

Video four of five is up. It just finished uploading. You get a clear shot of Mike Z's horrible cat for those who have never seen it clearly at 720p. I was glad I caught that haha.
I didn't play anyone particularly difficult, but I don't think I played any of the killers either lol. There was one match that I basically gave away. I got at least one game off of two of the people I lost to, so it wasn't a hopeless situation. Got bodied so bad the last fight though.

I need a team, solo Double isn't going to cut it. Oh, and practice. I need to practice.
You need to be a real monster to play solo in this game. Solos can do it alone, but you just can't make too many mistakes(especially Peacocks). Double doesn't fair too well against a smart opponent that knows to watch for crossup cars and stray bullets. Painwheel might be one of the best solos in the game by comparison.

Any news on the 360 patch status?

Wish I could give you guys hope with regards to the 360 patch, but... yeah.

I was really hoping we could get the nod this week, which might have made it possible to get it out this year.

...But we didn't, and MS basically closes down for the rest of the year after this week. So we'll keep at it and keep pushing hard again in January.

::sigh::

gotta keep waitin

Top Bottom