• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

alstein

I'm actually somewhat concerned that we may not have budgeted enough there - the patch testing has cost more than double that so far.

One thing about a PC version, you could always do beta patches on Steam, that might drop costs as you could beta patch with more testers.

I'll admit I probably have a bit of a rose-colored view of indies due to my knowledge of indie operations being Soldak and Positech, and those two guys do quite well for themselves. Sometimes it makes me think it's that way for everyone when it isn't. Skullgirls in particular seems to have been a struggle.

I'll be curious to see what's avaliable tomorrow- I might be getting sequestered this weekend, but I'll be ok for the short term.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Man, somebody mentioned Cryamore and I have veeeery little faith that the people involved know what theyre getting into. I mean, the amount of features the game says its gonna have its completely disproportionate with the amount of money theyre asking for.

I know a couple of the people involved and I wish them the best of luck, but holy crap. Id be shocked if the product launches on time or has even half the features theyre promising (good animations for Kinuko notwithstanding :)

One thing about a PC version, you could always do beta patches on Steam, that might drop costs as you could beta patch with more testers.

I'll admit I probably have a bit of a rose-colored view of indies due to my knowledge of indie operations being Soldak and Positech, and those two guys do quite well for themselves. Sometimes it makes me think it's that way for everyone when it isn't. Skullgirls in particular seems to have been a struggle.

I'll be curious to see what's avaliable tomorrow- I might be getting sequestered this weekend, but I'll be ok for the short term.
If you call having to spend months on a patch without getting paid a struggle, yeah...

Just something I've heard a few times on the Salty Cupcakes streams.

I'm actually somewhat concerned that we may not have budgeted enough there - the patch testing has cost more than double that so far.

Hopefully those hats take off and three characters get funded and that won't even be a problem.

I don't do TF2 or hats but apparently the fans are really serious about their headgear? Would we see a fourth character if the funds actually blew up that much?
lol@900K

Ravidrath

Would we see a fourth character if the funds actually blew up that much?
lol@900K

Yeah, I think we'd opt for a fourth character over some of the other things. I strongly doubt we're going to get that far, though.

I think if we managed to get a 4th, I think we'd probably return to the original plan of Umbrella.

Right now, I'd just be fucking ecstatic if we managed to fund Squigly and Big Band.

Yeah, I think we'd opt for a fourth character over some of the other things. I strongly doubt we're going to get that far, though.

I think if we managed to get a 4th, I think we'd probably return to the original plan of Umbrella.

Right now, I'd just be fucking ecstatic if we managed to fund Squigly and Big Band.

If we managed to get a fourth, I'm sure the community would be expecting the number two in the fan vote to get in. But yea, getting past Squigs and Sax Deka are the first steps.

Krackatoa

I'm done white-knighting on Kotaku. I think I'm going to be sick. :I

I'll be dropping as many meager cash stacks as my student loans will handle on this drive. Good luck.

Ravidrath

I'm done white-knighting on Kotaku. I think I'm going to be sick. :I

I'll be dropping as many meager cash stacks as my student loans will handle on this drive. Good luck.

Haha, thanks, man.

Some of the comments on there are worse than the Joystiq ones, which is... impressive.

Ravidrath

I just finished reading through the joystiq comments...I didnt know it could get worse

Well, the Joystiq article has no context, so people just see a big number and react wildly.

The Kotaku comments are probably more balanced on the whole because there are numbers, and so some people have taken upon themselves to do the math and see that we're not making much money at all.

...But then there are a lot of weird comments about, like... how Kickstarter helps us people that are too proud to take better-paying jobs to be homeless? And we might be buying crack?

joe2187

Banned
How can they not understand the free for three months deal? I dont get it.

Do they actually think you guys are trying to hold the character hostage?

I guess some people think that she'll become un-free after 3 months?
Exactly

Un-free to everyone, not just the people who check this out after three months(sorta like a three month rental to participants of the fundraiser). Of course, I'm sure there are some crazies who'd probably whine even if they had to pay for the characters a year from now. The latter group isn't worth considering at all.

Going over this thread and the cost breakdown of the character ... for better or worse am I the only one that thinks there should be a goal that guarantees the funding of the character on the PC version of the game and not the console? I feel like, if 20-30k is saved in that process, then it would be well worth having that sort of safety net that says,"Okay, if we cant reach 150k to have that multiconsole release here's what we'd need just to get the content out on PC." Am I too late for this?

I mean I guess a part of me realizes that you want to appeal to fans of fighting games and the majority of fighting games fans currently play on console (in North America at least) ... but is it worth going through all of the red tape in order to appeal to that constituency when there's a very real untapped market for quality fighting games of this type on the PC platform? Would it be better for the game (and company) if consoles were given less priority for the future development of this title? I point to Awesomenauts (2D casual MOBA) as an example of a game that I think's followed a somewhat similar sort of circumstances where their console publisher became bankrupt and what started out as a way to keep the team working through the development of the PC version of the game has turned into the continued expansion of that version of the game throughout the last 5-6 months, for free to their consumers (they charge for skins).

Or is it not a fair comparisons given that the MOBA market was stronger on the PC to begin with .. ?

Also Big Band <3

Edit : So I guess an application of my idea if the goals were readjusted super last minute :

120k : Squigly PC
150k : Squigly PS3/360

350k : Big Band PC
380k : Big Band PS3/360

etc etc...

Do you guys envision a situation where there's enough money to fund a multiconsole release for the first character but just shy the amount needed for a second or third? Would you at all consider releasing platform exclusive content if such a situation were to occur?

tl;dr - I really think there should be a goal setup that involves covering all development costs of the character minus whatever it would take to test said content on the 360 and PS3 platforms. Consider it a safety net.

Going over this thread and the cost breakdown of the character ... for better or worse am I the only one that thinks there should be a goal that guarantees the funding of the character on the PC version of the game and not the console?

If the character gets made, it gets made. There's no separate versions with this.

The difference would probably only be the 10k for the cert, as I'd like to think they'd still spend the 20K on QA, but maybe they could do it cheaper if not for consoles.

I honestly think Squigs being made won't even be a problem. It's the other two that'll be a real push.

But if Squigs really doesn't get funded now, I think the PC release would still give them the funds to do her in the future. It's just the wait would be longer, and there's the possibility that SG would get put on the backburner if L0 signs another project.

Also, less than four hours left. D:

alstein

10k in 30 minutes ... I guess that's typical of a kickstarter type project that has some hype leading up until its release?

That's well ahead of Cryamore (which is around 200k now I think) and At the Gates (which was more modest, and TBS fans are generally saner than Skullgirls fans)

lol I just noticed Mike Z's vomiting rainbows

Reward_SkypeCall.png

nrBnnXx.jpg

Krackatoa

Bwaaah. Ravid. I tossed in 100, but didn't realize I could hound MikeZ for an hour for $300.

Is there any way to upgrade contributions, or would I have to drop a full $300?

Skullgirls HD Patched 12/18/2012 - Azure vs Nekro_Surge [6/6]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISPfo1_IK3I

The final of six videos covering my fight againt Nekro_Surge. It's a fun watch. Moving on...

--------
Squigly 150k goal reached, storymode/stage and Big Band to follow!
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-skullgirls-growing/x/2520284?c=activity
Wow.

When we set out to do this, we had no idea if this would work. People told us that $150k in 30 days would be impossible, but, thanks to you, we&#8217;ve accomplished that in under 24 hours.

We are truly humbled and honored by your support, and can&#8217;t wait to get Squigly into the game. We couldn&#8217;t have done this without you!

Now&#8230; it&#8217;s time to get back to work!

A Sincere Thanks From Lab Zero Games...
Looks like we'll be seeing Squigly real soon. We've still got Big Band and Panzerfaust to work on next so prime your wallets, fellas.

--------
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/174632/nyc-sg-community#latest

A thread about the NY Skullgirls community. Useful for those of us with the means, will and time to make it out to local events. Check it out.

Man ... I honestly did not have high hopes that the team would be able to raise the required money for funding Squigly. The fact that they destroyed expectations in a single day completely boggles my mind. Funds are transferred to the team tomorrow according to the website, bravo community.

Putting in my $30 for that Squigly stage and Big Band today.

---

7QXNxfV.png

Honestly why doesn't Parasoul have an Annie color? I saw this in the $400 rewards tier for making a custom palette and it just makes too much sense. Hopefully one of our high end backers makes it happen.

Will the palettes made by backers be available as free DLC or is there a plan to monetize that?

---

<- Avatar Stanley-fied. Can't ignore Dr. Whitefin

Dachande

Ask Microsoft :C

Im double dipping for that optimized PC port though.

Ravi, perhaps getting in contact with MS online ops again, linking to the amazing campaign and going "HEY GUYS WE COULD REALLY DO WITH OUR UPDATE GETTING OUT SOON TO HELP OUT HERE HINT HINT"? Try cc'ing an MS marketing contact if you have any, too, they might kick some asses... ;)

I'm certainly going to be pledging on the weekend after being paid for one of the tiers with the PC version, anyway. I'll be feeling flush with cash so it'll probably be the $50 one!

Ravidrath

Ravi, perhaps getting in contact with MS online ops again, linking to the amazing campaign and going "HEY GUYS WE COULD REALLY DO WITH OUR UPDATE GETTING OUT SOON TO HELP OUT HERE HINT HINT"? Try cc'ing an MS marketing contact if you have any, too, they might kick some asses... ;)

I'm certainly going to be pledging on the weekend after being paid for one of the tiers with the PC version, anyway. I'll be feeling flush with cash so it'll probably be the $50 one!

I actually did e-mail our account rep yesterday about this exact thing, and didn't hear back.

This is understandably a sore point for a lot of our fans, and I think a lot of people would open their wallets up if we had some good news on the X360 patch front.

Busaiku

I finally own Skullgirls now.
Over $350 on this game and stuff related to this game over the last month...

I could've gotten a Wii U or something!
GAH

YOU PEOPLE SUCK

GAH

YOU PEOPLE SUCK

You could have waited for the PC version to come out assuming you had put in at least $30. Hope you enjoy the game though. Hit me up on PSN if you're looking for some matches sometime. It's the same as the GAF name.

---

ASDFDSFDFADF.
This guy did a VO test for Big Band I guess, if the character is funded he NEEDS to try out for a part. I was COMPLETELY sold after the first line, oh my god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeEIWoLeRTg

AHHHH, IT'S SO PERFECT.

shaowebb

You could have waited for the PC version to come out assuming you had put in at least $30. Hope you enjoy the game though. Hit me up on PSN if you're looking for some matches sometime. It's the same as the GAF name.

---

ASDFDSFDFADF.
This guy did a VO test for Big Band I guess, if the character is funded he NEEDS to try out for a part. I was COMPLETELY sold after the first line, oh my god.

AHHHH, IT'S SO PERFECT.

OMG Send this to Labzero Ravi! Its so perfect it hurts!

GAH

YOU PEOPLE SUCK
We love donation monsters like you. Never change! <3

---

ASDFDSFDFADF.

AHHHH, IT'S SO PERFECT.
This guy is amazing. The perfect fit imo.

Top Bottom