• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Imaginators |OT| Imagine That!

RobbieNick

Got this for the kids and they got to open it early yesterday and start playing. 20 minutes later, Tyson comes to ask me if he can buy something.

There's a real-world money store in a game that revolves around buying $15+ figures to unlock the content in the first place? Fuck you, Activision.

screenshot-original5i9s2p.png

My biggest problem with the game right there.

ANYWAY, So Skylanders Imaginators is coming to Nintendo Switch. Not a big deal but I find two things interesting. First, look at the off-camera footage of the game on switch in-between them showing off other games.

https://youtu.be/qadzCB3CLlI?t=2h34m8s

Is it just me, or showing it seem to be playing at near 60FPS?

Also, here's something to consider. The Switch is made to be portable. Does that mean you can store the Skylanders in the game like the 3DS versions or will you still need a constant portal?

EDIT: I got one answer. You can store them. https://blog.activision.com/t5/Skyl...a-Launch-Title-for-the-Nintendo/ba-p/10140118

My custom Imaginator figure finally came in!

tumblr_okkd0gwjYz1r6rsa8o1_400.jpg

tumblr_okkd0gwjYz1r6rsa8o2_400.jpg

tumblr_okkd0gwjYz1r6rsa8o3_400.jpg

tumblr_okkd0gwjYz1r6rsa8o4_400.jpg

Her name's Lucha Bazooka and shes cool as heck

waluigi for scale

Looks better than I expected and I'm thinking about getting another one, probably of the water Skylander I ended up using for most of my Imaginators playthrough since I grew attached to her.

I didn't wanna make a new thread or anything, but is this a good Skylanders game? Just thinking of another potential game to get for the Switch at launch, and I sorta enjoyed some of the previous Skylanders games. Don't have my collection anymore though.

Slermy

I'm going to grab Imaginators for the Switch at some point, but I haven't even started Superchargers yet. I figure by the time I finish that, it'll drop in price... but isn't this likely the last of the Skylander games? Am I part of the problem?

I'm going to grab Imaginators for the Switch at some point, but I haven't even started Superchargers yet. I figure by the time I finish that, it'll drop in price... but isn't this likely the last of the Skylander games? Am I part of the problem?
Given the greedy design flaws in the last two games (Superchargers figures are no longer backwards compatible; old figures are less powerful than the new versions of those characters, which is something they'd avoided in the past; the one-use only crystals in Imaginators; the microtransactions in both of the last two games) I'd say the problem is Activision, not consumers finally calling them on their BS.

(I bought Superchargers launch day, but didn't buy Imaginators until a week or two ago.)

Is it really the last though? There was this thread the other day that says Skylanders hit over $3 billion in revenue.

Also I just read that the Switch version can have 300 skylanders saved to the game without having to manually swap figures, because it uses the Switch's built in NFC reader. That's great. I got tired of manually doing it every time in the old games I had played.

Is it really the last though? There was this thread the other day that says Skylanders hit over $3 billion in revenue.
Those numbers were 3 billion (and 250 million toys) in summer 2015, versus 3.5 billion and 300 million toys earlier this week. That means that Superchargers and Imaginators combined only hit about $500 million in revenue, less than the $625 million per-game average of the first four games.

Oh, and they appear to have cancelled at least one of the Imaginators holiday variants (Heartbreaker Buckshot).

If it's not dead (or at least dead as a toys-to-life game - I wouldn't rule out a standalone game to tie in to the TV show), I'll be shocked.

It was really a novel idea at first, but they never let it live up to it's full potential. I always thought it needed to be more fleshed out into a full on Diablo style game with a lot of customization and upgrades for your characters. The fact that they limited progression and difficulty because it was "kids" game just sucks. I'm sorry, but kids are not fucking stupid. Many of us gamers are into the hobby because we played hard as hell games like Mega Man and Contra when we were kids, I don't get why they think games have to mindlessly easy because they're "for kids."

Once the second game came out, I felt like I knew we were in trouble when they limited the progression previously generation figures could even do...I get it...we gotta give people reason to get more figures so they can make money, but they could have just did that through the introduction of new characters. Not make people rebuy all the characters they already own. Make people feel good that they had been playing since the first by bringing those characters forward. It's what would help give this series the hooks to keep people into it.

Activision needs to stop with their milking shit til it's dry mentality. Milk something, but keep it fresh, don't let it spoil.

I haven't bought a Skylanders game since Swap Force, but I'm going to buy Imaginators for the Switch next month. I've been looking at the available Senseis; which ones should I buy in order to unlock all in-game content? As far as I understand, I need to have at least one Sensei of each element and class/weapon. What is the best combination of characters to ensure I cover everything?

I just realized today that Crash Bandicoot does actually work in all versions of the game. I kept thinking that use was exclusive for the Playstation versions, sorta like how DK and Bowser were for Nintendo. Now I think I'll definitely get the Switch version at launch.

As far as I understand, I need to have at least one Sensei of each element and class/weapon. What is the best combination of characters to ensure I cover everything?

You've got King Pen (Water; Brawler) and Golden Queen (Earth; Sorcerer) with the starter pack.

So you'll likely need something like Flare Wolf (Fire; Bazooker), Wild Storm (Air; Knight), Buckshot (Magic; Bowslinger), Chop Scotch (Undead; Smasher), Dr. Krankcase (Light; Quickshot), Boom Bloom (Life; Ninja) and Hood Sickle (Dark; Sentinel). There's 10 classes and 11 elements so Tech is left and allows you to get anything you want. I believe Boom Bloom is only in a adventure pack, and I think those will do you good to get. (Another one is Air Strike's set but he's Air and a Brawler which you would have already with King Pen)

There's also the Crash pack which is cool I think too, but Crash and Cortex mirror the starter pack abilities.

OOh and Im bumping the thread; spotted some of the newest wave stuff at TRU. Both of the Easter variants (Egg Bomber Air Strike and Hard Boiled Flare Wolf) are out as well as Grave Clobber and Pain Yatta single. At one point there was supposed to be a Heartbreaker Buckshot for Valentines Day but it appears to have been scrapped...or saved for next year?

You've got King Pen (Water; Brawler) and Golden Queen (Earth; Sorcerer) with the starter pack.

So you'll likely need something like Flare Wolf (Fire; Bazooker), Wild Storm (Air; Knight), Buckshot (Magic; Bowslinger), Chop Scotch (Undead; Smasher), Dr. Krankcase (Light; Quickshot), Boom Bloom (Life; Ninja) and Hood Sickle (Dark; Sentinel). There's 10 classes and 11 elements so Tech is left and allows you to get anything you want. I believe Boom Bloom is only in a adventure pack, and I think those will do you good to get. (Another one is Air Strike's set but he's Air and a Brawler which you would have already with King Pen)

There's also the Crash pack which is cool I think too, but Crash and Cortex mirror the starter pack abilities.

OOh and Im bumping the thread; spotted some of the newest wave stuff at TRU. Both of the Easter variants (Egg Bomber Air Strike and Hard Boiled Flare Wolf) are out as well as Grave Clobber and Pain Yatta single. At one point there was supposed to be a Heartbreaker Buckshot for Valentines Day but it appears to have been scrapped...or saved for next year?

Dr Krankcase is Tech, not Light

So with the switch version having the digital library whats stopping people from taking there switch to the store and scanning the figures to unlock and use them without buying the figures.

So with the switch version having the digital library whats stopping people from taking there switch to the store and scanning the figures to unlock and use them without buying the figures.

Absolutely nothing. I half considered it myself. You wouldn't be able to take your collection forward though.

This is a long shot, but given Dark crystals are starting to appear in U.S stores, is it possible for someone in the U.S to grab me one of each and provided I cover the associated costs, mail it to me? I am somewhat desperate. It's the only element I'm missing but it's all but non-existent in Australia. I'd be willing to pay a little more than retail, I am just trying to avoid the Scalper prices on eBay.

These are the two I am after:

RobbieNick

Well, with this Switch version allowing Donkey Kong and Bowser, NFC on the right joystick instead of a portal, storing up to 300 Skylanders and taking you game on the go, I just had to pick up Skylanders Imaginators for the Switch. My initial thoughts.

Yup. My suspicions were confirmed. No Kart racing mode. It's gone. I don't know why. Data room perhaps? But this would have been a great way to have local multiplayer kart racing before Mario Kart 8 comes out.

Graphically, it's the Wii U/PS3 version only slightly sharper. I'm basing this on owning Superchargers on Wii U and it looked very similar while I also have Imaginators on PS4 portability and storing the Skylanders makes up for the dip in graphics.

No microtransactions. You can no longer buy treasure chests (err, except from a store).

I find having to scan the figures twice before they full save odd. I guess it's to discourage taking Skylanders from friends and adding them to your game.

Also, what's to stop a kid with a Switch from walking into a store and just loading up the sensei's and crystals? Do they use the aluminum blockage the Nintendo Amiibo packages use now?

EDIT: Vehicles aren't totally wasted. They serves as imaginite chests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSIyDvwnIV0

Spades

Just picked up the Switch version for £22.99 - I love the idea of scanning your figures and being able to recall them from the menu at any point.

Are there any suggested figures to pick up to get the most out of the game?

Lucifon

Just picked up the Switch version for £22.99 - I love the idea of scanning your figures and being able to recall them from the menu at any point.

Are there any suggested figures to pick up to get the most out of the game?
Wow where did you grab it for that price?

Well, with this Switch version allowing Donkey Kong and Bowser, NFC on the right joystick instead of a portal, storing up to 300 Skylanders and taking you game on the go, I just had to pick up Skylanders Imaginators for the Switch. My initial thoughts.

Yup. My suspicions were confirmed. No Kart racing mode. It's gone. I don't know why. Data room perhaps? But this would have been a great way to have local multiplayer kart racing before Mario Kart 8 comes out.

Graphically, it's the Wii U/PS3 version only slightly sharper. I'm basing this on owning Superchargers on Wii U and it looked very similar while I also have Imaginators on PS4 portability and storing the Skylanders makes up for the dip in graphics.

No microtransactions. You can no longer buy treasure chests (err, except from a store).

I find having to scan the figures twice before they full save odd. I guess it's to discourage taking Skylanders from friends and adding them to your game.

Also, what's to stop a kid with a Switch from walking into a store and just loading up the sensei's and crystals? Do they use the aluminum blockage the Nintendo Amiibo packages use now?

EDIT: Vehicles aren't totally wasted. They serves as imaginite chests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSIyDvwnIV0

Scanning Skylanders twice takes next to no time, so I don't think the intent is to discourage people from being able to share Skylanders with their friends.

There is also nothing stopping people from going into a store and freely adding Skylanders to their digital collection without purchasing the figures. There is no aluminium between the base of the figures and the packaging. This is so collectors can keep their figures in the packaging, yet still use them in game. With the advent of the Switch, it's possible this might change in future titles. If people were to add figures to their collection without purchasing them, however, it wouldn't be possible for them to take their collection forward. That's the trade off with the Switch version's digital Skylanders library.

Spades

Wow where did you grab it for that price?

Amazon sent an email around to some people who bought their Switch from them offering Just Dance for £19.99 and Skylanders for £24.99. I bit on the Skylanders deal, along with my Prime discount it came to £22.99.

So I picked up the Switch version last night, it's my first Skylanders game since the original came out and I like it so far.

The only issue I have is when playing in portable mode, it looks like it's running at a lower resolution than native. It's smooth, just looks a little blurry.

caligula13

Gold Member
are the figurines from Superchargers somehow weaker than the Sensei by default?

or maybe i didn't level them up enough?

jonno394

Just had notification of a download for skylanders update on my switch, can't see patch notes. Anyone know what it did?

bumpkin

Necro-bump ahoy...

The starter packs are 50% with the Cartwheel App at Target for the next several days. I decided to bite on the Switch version because the game, two figs and a crystal for $30 is a damn good deal. It took manager approval though, because the Cartwheel discount didn't get applied automatically.

I'm guessing they meant to exclude Switch since it's much newer, but didn't include fine print saying so. It reads "All Starter Packs." So, YMMV depending on if they update the exclusions on the coupon in the App, but if you want it, I'd grab one ASAP.

Top Bottom