• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim and Oblivion didn't get digital PS3 release?

hitgirl

Not finding it on the psn store. I hear these were pretty bad versions anyways, but my PC will be on use by friend playing Skyrim.

I recall reading that the RAM limitations on PS3 forced a design which required streaming both from the disc and the HDD. This would explain not having a digital release.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sony and Bethesda are actuially doing you a favor by not releasing them.

BTW, I actually platinumed the PS3 version of Skyrim as I never had any major performance issues.

I am clearly the only one.

hitgirl

(I worked for Gamebryo for 3 years so I can only say pretty bad)

Ah darn. I hate playing physical games because you gotta hear the disc drive going. I do have a 1TB SSHD in my Ps3 now.

br3wnor

I played the PS3 version for a solid 30 hours without running into any major problems. But my understanding from many people is that the longer you played it the more issues you ran into because of RAM issues. Apparently any time you left a door open or looted a chest or dropped a piece of armor in a dungeon, the game had to record that and save it as a unique event. So by the time you were deep into the game and had thousands of these unique things occur, it overloaded the game to the point where it was unplayable.

Didn't experience it personally but that's what I heard on podcasts/read on forums at the time.

Isn't vanilla Oblivion a little better on PS3 than 360? Could have sworn that was the case and that's why I have that one and Skyrim on 360. I've avoided Skyrim PS3 like the plague. They did you a favor not letting you download that, OP.

Isn't vanilla Oblivion a little better on PS3 than 360? Could have sworn that was the case and that's why I have that one and Skyrim on 360. I've avoided Skyrim PS3 like the plague. They did you a favor not letting you download that, OP.
from personal experience, oblivion goty is god awful on ps3

FyreWulff

It probably never had enough publisher interest to do it. There's a few games that had digital 360 versions but didn't on PS3, and the few times developers have talked about it, it was because the publisher didn't feel there was enough demand to put it out on PS3 digitally.

Lots of games aren't on PSN. There's tons missing actually. It kind of sucks.
I think they only became mandatory(or publishers realized it was a smart move) around the time PS4 released.

Very few games were rereleased digital later on, like MGS4.

Vanilla Oblivion never happened on PS3, it came out years after, i don't think it was the 1.0 that got released

From what I remember, I don't think it was common for large/AAA games to have digital releases on the PS3?

BTW, I actually platinumed the PS3 version of Skyrim as I never had any major performance issues.

I also platinumed it without any major issues. There are dozens of us!

Lots of games aren't on PSN. There's tons missing actually. It kind of sucks.
I think they only became mandatory(or publishers realized it was a smart move) around the time PS4 released.

Very few games were rereleased digital later on, like MGS4.

strangest case for me? how can the resistance trilogy (published by sony) not be available? :) ...

PS3 version ran and looked better for me. Just double checked with Eurogamers comparison from back in the day, and they agree.

there are two versions of oblivion on ps3, a normal version and a goty version. i know the goty version runs at sub 30fps and its gets worse when you use a torch,

I platinum the game as well but only after they patched it to fix that nasty slowdown.

Top Bottom