• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

Van Buren

Finally got around to watching Todd's demo, and the general animations and art direction are really worlds apart when compared to Oblivion's. The melee combat didn't feel very convincing (the same floaty swings that plagued Oblivion seem to return here), but the spell casting appears to be much more fluid.

I realize that the demo's purpose was to provide a spectacle to wow the public, but I'm still wary until more details about the game's underlying mechanics emerge. Specifically, things like writing, quest design and plot still remain under wraps, and the way how these elements are handled will determine if Skyrim continues to remain interesting after the initial hours. It wouldn't hurt either to know about the extent of character creation possibilities now that the character creation has been simplified, and also about how unique the 150 dungeons truly are.

I'm also hoping that it is no longer possible to join all the factions using a single character - that was just bewildering in Oblivion.

Jira

Procedural generation CAN work really well and be beautiful at the same time. Look at the worlds in which Minecraft can make. If a single guy can create that kind of algorithm, imagine what an entire development team could do. The possibility is there, it's just up to the developers to take the initiative and do it. Sadly, this will never happen because people really just want to see the same exact world that everyone else sees with no sense of uniqueness or randomness that makes re-playability worthwhile. I'm looking forward to Skyrim as much as the next person, but emergent gameplay has dominated my gaming as of late. I still have room for the hand-crafted games, but for me that room is dwindling.

Dennis

Banned
Trickster said:
The dragon animation looks super wonky in that gif, it's speed up compared to the video right?
Frames have been removed from that gif thats why it looks like stop motion animation.

Is that a caveman in prehistoric times in the first shot, or just some barbarian class?

Somehow a huge WRPG in prehistortic ages sounds interesting.

Wallach

jetsetfluken said:
Is that a caveman in prehistoric times in the first shot, or just some barbarian class?

Somehow a huge WRPG in prehistortic ages sounds interesting.

It's the same big ass giant being tossed around in the .gif a few posts up.

Luthos

Fjordson said:
<3 this one

The third person animations are looking nice.
Not to mention the part where he swings his sword. Third person looks oh so much improved.

Though I'll probably still play in a mix of both views. Third-person for just wandering around and exploring, especially outdoors. And maybe a little bit of combat outdoors. But first-person for indoors, and most combat. And when I need to get real close to inspect what I'm picking up and whatnot.

Skirn

Good stuff. The melee's pretty cool, especially the killing blow animation. Do the killing blows happen at random or will they always execute when you kill someone?

Can't wait to play as a dual axe-wielding, thieving barbarian.

Wallach

Skirn said:
Good stuff. The melee's pretty cool, especially the killing blow animation. Do the killing blows happen at random or will they always execute when you kill someone?

Can't wait to play as a dual axe-wielding, thieving barbarian.

Nordic women are known for being much wiser than their male counterparts. They have a saying: "If it doesn't take both hands to hoist it, it's not worth keeping around."

Zeliard

Looking nice but some Oblivionish character animations still rear their heads. Like when the dragon first picks up an enemy and tosses him, the character model seems oddly static for a bit as it's falling. Hopefully they can fix up those small oddities prior to release and keep immersion to a max.

Hyphen

Gravijah said:
I really don't want to watch the new video, but these gifs are getting to me.

If you're worried about spoilers, then I don't think there's anything in the video that you should fear. Not in my opinion anyway. If anything, I'd say the Bethesda representative reveals more through what he says so I guess you could watch it with the sound off!?

Zeliard said:
Looking nice but some Oblivionish character animations still rear their heads. Like when the dragon first picks up an enemy and tosses him, the character model seems oddly static for a bit as it's falling. Hopefully they can fix up those small oddities prior to release and keep immersion to a max.

That's how giants fall after being picked up by a dragon, don't you know!?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This has been the most impressive thing I've seen from E3 this year. Very exciting.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
VisanidethDM said:
How did they go from insanely horrendously bad third person view animations to... this?

This isn't just an improvement. It's top tier.
Yeah, I can't believe they actually made good on the animation. Good for them. :)

Gravijah

I hope they add some stuff to do underwater. I want to find a pirate ship. :(
DennisK4 said:

Couldn't resist. Absolutely amazing.
Hyphen said:
If you're worried about spoilers, then I don't think there's anything in the video that you should fear. Not in my opinion anyway. If anything, I'd say the Bethesda representative reveals more through what he says so I guess you could watch it with the sound off!?

It's less spoilers and more... I know I'm gonna get this game. I don't want the added hype, damn it.

NBtoaster

Zeliard said:

It's not really animation. It looks like the Dragon instantly kills whatever it picks up, and just tosses a ragdoll.

Be better to have death when it hits the ground but that would probably need a fairly complex falling animation.

Luthos

Dennis4k, you should do a .gif of when he uses a dragon shout on the draugr, and it blows them across the room.

eso76

no way i'm playing an ES in third person, but the improvements in animations are huge and thankfully also translate to npc's and enemies (those giants !). Tossing and falling animations were not up with the rest but i am not expectin a 100% polished experience anyway

Zeliard

NBtoaster said:
It's not really animation. It looks like the Dragon instantly kills whatever it picks up, and just tosses a ragdoll.

Be better to have death when it hits the ground but that would probably need a fairly complex falling animation.

Yeah but it doesn't even look like it's ragdolling properly there. Character model is static going up too, so it's possibly that's just the way it's going to look. Not a huge deal but it does stick out, especially since everything else has been given a smooth makeover.

Still best to pick this up on PC? Oblivion ran very poorly on the x360, fallout was an nice improvement in performance and image quality.

Dennis

Banned
Gravijah said:
I know it's early, but I hope this gets an actual PC style expansion. I'm not a big fan of the DLC model.
I am guessing both, like Oblivion

Dragon Armor DLC $4.99

Quivering Isles expansion $19.99

Hyphen

Luthos said:
Dennis4k, you should do a .gif of when he uses a dragon shout on the draugr, and it blows them across the room.

That bit comes out pixellated on my screen... :eek:(

Zeliard

I'm curious if they've animated everything in third-person, even the distinct shouts. The dragon breath shout, if I understood Howard correctly, is fire that literally comes out of the player character's mouth. So do we actually see that in third-person? Could either look awesome or a bit silly. :p

Wow that looks absolutely amazing, everything looks like such an upgrade from Oblivion. The world looks so alive compared to Oblivion. That's fantastic for me because I'm the type of player that will work on the main quest a little bit, but my main thing is I just explore the environment.

Hyphen

Zeliard said:
I'm curious if they've animated everything in third-person, even the distinct shouts. The dragon breath shout, if I understood Howard correctly, is fire that literally comes out of the player character's mouth. So do we actually see that in third-person? Could either look awesome or a bit silly. :p

The previous trailer suggests that they have...

anigif1.gif

So, answers on a postcard for how to make 'fire' coming out of someone's mouth look cool.

Lakitu

st5fu
The only thing I'm not too happy about is how low the dragon shouts sound. Is it just me? It doesn't sound anything like the one in the trailer from this footage.

Wallach

Lakitu said:
The only thing I'm not too happy about is how low the dragon shouts sound. Is it just me? It doesn't sound anything like the one in the trailer from this footage.

What caught my attention is that the dragon actually speaking fire didn't seem to sound like the one from the original trailer. That sound effect was awesome so I hope it is still in there.

Nocebo

- The three crafting systems in the game are enchantment, alchemy and smithing.
I seem to recall there was also talk of being able to cook. Does it fall under alchemy or is it just not as elaborate, so it doesn't fall under crafting?

Zeliard

Hyphen said:
The previous trailer suggests that they have...

anigif1.gif

So, answers on a postcard for how to make 'fire' coming out of someone's mouth look cool.

The question will be whether to play it in first or third-person. Easy answer previously. Perhaps still an easy answer (nothing beats adventuring around a huge world in first-person). But the occasional switch to third-person is suddenly a lot more enticing.

I have been mega spoiled by the graphics in Witcher 2.

I really REALLY hope that I get this game on my PC and feel that the graphics are 'BEAUTIFUL' because if they don't feel like that (they don't have to be TOP END OMG BF3 WITCHER 2 AMAZING to be BEAUTIFUL) it will really hamper my ability to enjoy this game and it has become my most wanted game now.

I want to see what some of the other character classes look like.

My god though, this game... this FUCKING game...

PLEASE give us some better high quality footage... PLEASE!! I want to see the DETAILS they're talking about. They said they're going for a living world, please be true, please live up to what they're saying it will and I'll be giddy with happiness!

Also - I'm not trying to be negative, I absolutely hope this game is everything it seems it's going to be... I'll be playing the PC version so it's bound to look much better than the Xbox 360 demo that the video showed, I just don't want to get too excited because if it doesn't live up to my expectations I'll be shattered because there is nothing else liable to fill the hole that this would leave if I let it fill my dreams as much as it could.... I didn't expect to get a game like I wanted this gen, a real living medieval fantasy world with procedural DRAGONS.... but this just seems to be everything I could ever possibly want and more... so please just let it be... PLEASE!

Top Bottom