• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Special Edition's All-New Survival Mode Coming Soon (not free)

MUnited83

For you.
If this successful of at least gain significant money (hint: it will because of the relatively low cost to make), Bethesda will change on modding framework in their next. Yeah it's unbelievable that they will intentionally stunted the feature that makes their game so big. It is also unbelievable at the time that Horse Armor DLC will become so commonplace today.

Why people like you are so naive? People at Creation Club are worked on contract basis. If they happened to make a good mod, they wouldn't get a fair share of their money. All of it go to Bethesda pocket. Creation Club IS underpaid outsourcing that masked as a benevolent attempt to make talented modders could get paid for their work. It is ploy to fool people who don't understand how labour laws work (hint: most gamers) and Bethesda looks really successful in this considering how many people naively believe they just give modders their fair share of money.

It is better for talented modder to setup for patreon rather than following Bethesda heinous scheme. Creation Club looks promising for modders...in the eyes of non-modders, while in reality it posed more problem than benefits. Just let this all slide and see future Bethesda game are built with Creation Club in mind.

qkELGS2.gif

Thankfully not all games with heavy modding scene is not like Bethesda. Despite that, their (old) modding community will be sorely missed.

Creation's Club relies on a modding community to exist to begin with. No, free mods are not going away.
And if you think your second point is true, why even worry? Surely no modders will take the deal if it's as bad as you say.

Aaron D.

It's out now.

Just opt into the Beta branch and it will download Creator Club.

Launch the game and go in off the Main Menu. It's the only item in the store right now. I bought it for Free and it says I Own it now.

Not sure how to activate it in-game though, LOL.

Melon Husk

So you must eat a couple of chicken breasts, a pie, loaves of bread and apples to get from "hungry" to "well fed". If you're well fed, it takes minutes of running around to become "peckish" again. The stamina and temperature systems are more balanced. edit: Price-wise the hunger system works, but the consumed amount is cartoonishly high.
All effects besides frostyness must be checked from active effects, which is painfully slow to do within Skyrim's GUI. You could see everything in Morrowind with just one click...

So is the beta out right now? Aside from the very needed backlash this deserves, any impressions? lol.

I've tried it.

Started new game from Rivervale inn with alt start mod, once outside I got a popup if you want to enable survival mode. Turn it on and run from that town to Whiterun and hunger/fatigue kicked in a notch on top left corner as text. Sleep outside for like 10 hours and it gets worse and I got weakened debuff. Rest a few more hours and my screen is all red like those 3d film glass red tint from hunger, and fatigue made it blurry so both combined is pretty shitty to have those debuffs. Every food has different hunger value so just keep eating food and sleeping at inns or your own place. There's warmth stat on apparels to fight cold which is another debuff.

That's pretty much it. Debuffs overtime that fuck up your weapons dmg/blocking/sta/hp/mana/sneaking/lockpicking etc.

Here's how it looks when you're crippled.
eVhh4tw.jpg

Man, you guys do love your conspiracy theories.

No, free mods aren't going to go away. No, they aren't going to force people to charge for their mods.

Did Bethesda plant a bomb at Nexus servers? What is this "death of the free modding" that you are even talking about?

Wait until they release their first game after the Creation Club.

I'm sure mods outside of their platform will be pretty hard to do.

I've tried it.

Started new game from Rivervale inn with alt start mod, once outside I got a popup if you want to enable survival mode. Turn it on and run from that town to Whiterun and hunger/fatigue kicked in a notch on top left corner as text. Sleep outside for like 10 hours and it gets worse and I got weakened debuff. Rest a few more hours and my screen is all red like those 3d film glass red tint from hunger, and fatigue made it blurry so both combined is pretty shitty to have those debuffs. Every food has different hunger value so just keep eating food and sleeping at inns or your own place. There's warmth stat on apparels to fight cold which is another debuff.

That's pretty much it. Debuffs overtime that fuck up your weapons dmg/blocking/sta/hp/mana/sneaking/lockpicking etc.

eVhh4tw.jpg

>15 fucking bucks
Whomever buys this after it stops being free should be ashamed of themselves. good lord.

Wait until they release their first game after the Creation Club.

I'm sure mods outside of their platform will be pretty hard to do.

I don't think they'll go that far initially but we've seen this before. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. I've always said I'm okay with the Creation Club in theory, but the mods I would actually consider paying for (Fallout the Frontier/Enderal/Beyond Skyrim/Tamriel Rebuilt/Province Cyrodiil) have creators that are all against it.

I mean, Enderal was better than the base game of Skyrim. Why wouldn't I pay for it?

Branson

I've tried it.

eVhh4tw.jpg

I feel like I would rather take Frostfall plus some iNeed or some other combo over that honestly. Thanks for the impressions.

StereoVsn

Creation's Club relies on a modding community to exist to begin with. No, free mods are not going away.
And if you think your second point is true, why even worry? Surely no modders will take the deal if it's as bad as you say.
You know that Bethesda contracts modders at $10-$15/hr to make the mod and that's it, no royalties, nothing beside low initial pay. If this takes off they may not release public modding tools in the next game and may require signed packages to install.

I agree that I don't think the modders suddenly getting money-hungry is a realistic fear at all. A lot of people are missing a far more likely scenario for how CC will destroy the modding community:

1. The next Bethesda game will release with Creation Club support from the get-go.
2. The Creation Kit tools that modders have relied on for years will be tied to the Creation Club. If you use the Kit, you'll be shoehorned into releasing on the Club.
3. In retaliation, modders will find ways to "crack" the Kit's DRM and upload their mods onto the Nexus.
4. Bethesda will hit the Nexus with a cease and desist order for allowing mods with pirated code onto their sites.
5. The Nexus will stop hosting mods for Bethesda's games.

The only hitch here is "How could Bethesda limit mods to the Club while remaining true to their commitment to curation?" and the answer is something like "A Steam-style Early Access model that bypasses curation, but still requires that the mods be sold for a low price."

I think it's very likely we see this prediction come to pass unless Creation Club fails utterly here and now.

Melon Husk

You'll slow down and slowly freeze to death. This of course doesn't affect NPCs. Warmth and hunger have number values but there's no reference. Warmth value of 50 or so isn't enough for Winterhold, at least. Hunger comes at you quick when sprinting.

MUnited83

For you.
You know that Bethesda contracts modders at $10-$15/hr to make the mod and that's it, no royalties, nothing beside low initial pay. If this takes off they may not release public modding tools in the next game and may require signed packages to install.
Again, if it's as bad as you say, why would anyone take the deal?
Also, the whole concept builds on hiring people that already started modding in the community before. Creator's Club can't exist without free modding. Free modding isn't going to go away.
I agree that I don't think the modders suddenly getting money-hungry is a realistic fear at all. A lot of people are missing a far more likely scenario for how CC will destroy the modding community:

1. The next Bethesda game will release with Creation Club support from the get-go.
2. The Creation Kit tools that modders have relied on for years will be tied to the Creation Club. If you use the Kit, you'll be shoehorned into releasing on the Club.
3. In retaliation, modders will find ways to "crack" the Kit's DRM and upload their mods onto the Nexus.
4. Bethesda will hit the Nexus with a cease and desist order for allowing mods with pirated code onto their sites.
5. The Nexus will stop hosting mods for Bethesda's games.

The only hitch here is "How could Bethesda limit mods to the Club while remaining true to their commitment to curation?" and the answer is something like "A Steam-style Early Access model that bypasses curation, but still requires that the mods be sold for a low price."

I think it's very likely we see this prediction come to pass unless Creation Club fails utterly here and now.
You can't "shoehorn" anyone into releasing their mods on Creator's Club. Are you not aware of how Creation Club works at all?

It's free for the first week.

So it'll get good press/impressions from the YouTubers/Twitch streamers/hardcore audience that follows these things and people who just didn't hear about it and weren't fortunate enough to get it while it was free will pay $8 for something that should've been in the game taking place in a frozen wasteland from the start 6 years ago.

I really hope they get crucified for this. I really can't overstate how much this should've been in the base game considering this was a year after Fallout New Vegas and they knew we'd want a survival mode, especially for a game taking place in that setting. Speaking of things that should be in the base game, script enhancers. Every single Bethesda game has had script extenders. Why not have it done natively, or at least the functions people want most? It's a very common sentiment to not touch Bethesda games for 3-4 months until the script extenders come out so the "good mods" can do what they need to do.

You say this as a joke right? Since switch isn’t getting mods.

Mods are not the same as Creation Club, which isn't even out yet on PS4 and Xbox. Bethesda won't leave all that money on the table for the Switch version. Creation Club will most likely be there in short order.

Which is one reason I'm going to accept this thing for free on PC when it's offered, hoping that means I "own" it and could also use it on Switch later.

Tigress

Skyrim can run on a potato of a PC, so unless you're posting this from your PS4, you don't actually need to be paying for this.

But gamers are suckers and Bethesda knows it doesn't even need to turn you upside down and shake your pockets to separate you from your cash.

Like literally every thread where a company is doing something evidently anti-consumer, there's always someone going "DAY ONE LOL!"

Uh some of us don't have a windows machine (I have a Mac) and may even much prefer to play on a console (hence why we have one).

I don't get it. There's multiple survival mods out for Skyrim already, free ones too. Why would anybody willingly pay Bethesda 800 moonbux for one?!

Fuck off Bethesda.

Not even an update/DLC that adds anything that took much time for them to do, and something that's probably existed as a mod since day 1 because of how easy it is to implement.

They're milking this game so much.

You can't "shoehorn" anyone into releasing their mods on Creator's Club. Are you not aware of how Creation Club works at all?

Right now you can't, which is why I emphasized that they'll tie the Creation Kit to the Club first. The current business model is just to test the water and get people used to the idea of paid mods.

Their end goal here is for all mods to become microtransactions. If modders who want to use the Creation Kit for TESVI or Starfield (or whatever their next game is) cannot export their creations and only have the option to publish them on the Club, they come much closer to realizing that goal.

Unai

I don't get it. There's multiple survival mods out for Skyrim already, free ones too. Why would anybody willingly pay Bethesda 800 moonbux for one?!

Well, right now is free to keep, so I just got it. It's convenient so why not. I wouldn't pay for it, though.

TissueBox

Nobody is taking away your free mods...so just don't buy it? This is not hard to do.

Regardless of the developer, I just don't find extra difficulty modes set behind a price wall good form. With Skyrim's modding community it's just more ironic. An expansion, new world, etc., that's fine, but this just comes off as an awkward thing to pay for, which, okay, won't be too bad if it's an isolated case. But CClub just gets a bad rap and then some these days.

I know the community enough to see they will take into account all sides of the CClub situation, so the disappearance of free mods is not an issue I see making the drop at least atm -- I just find the spirit of this a bit comical. Not sure I'd trash Beth to heaven come, after all it's just a CClub 'example' entry. But imo the fact it's from the dev itself and you'll be paying for it eventually, eh that's not how 'officially made' difficulty modes should fly, unless they're reeeally special. Though I guess this is only partly official... (sigh) In any case, time will tell the fate of the flukes.

MUnited83

For you.
Right now you can't, which is why I emphasized that they'll tie the Creation Kit to the Club first. The current business model is just to test the water and get people used to the idea of paid mods.

Their end goal here is for all mods to become microtransactions. If modders who want to use the Creation Kit for TESVI or Starfield (or whatever their next game is) cannot export their creations and only have the option to publish them on the Club, they come much closer to realizing that goal.

So they are just going to pay a wage to every single person that makes a mod? That doesn't seem like something that will work in any way.

So they are just going to pay a wage to every single person that makes a mod? That doesn't seem like something that will work in any way.

I addressed this in my previous post, which you responded to:

Remember that Bethesda already made their intent to legitimize non-curated paid mods clear when they first attempted this. Everything they're doing with Creation Club is to slowly ease people into accepting that original idea. They're doing what all publishers do with shady business practices: Testing the boundaries with ideas that "don't seem too bad" at first, but will lead to far more exploitative circumstances down the line.

The Creation Club should be used for things the modding community can't do. Spears have been attempted by the community, but never quite work right. It'd be nice to have spears with animation support and all. Bethesda themselves got it to work at their games jam and then proceeded to never release it. Quest mods would also be a good idea, at least there's perceived value there. Right now, they have items that are otherwise free on Nexus and don't align with their own DLC value-wise, while costing just as much.

That game jam video pisses me off. Why not release that stuff as post-release DLC or even throw spears in Dragonborn or whatever? We're in a frozen wasteland where giant mammoths are walking all over the place but we don't have any survival mechanics (including cloaks) or spears? It doesn't make sense. Especially when a decent looking implementation of the spears was done in a week.
https://youtu.be/8PedZazWQ48

Made by the same guy. Wonder how the community will interface with it, making expansion mods and whatnot.

Toni

Fuck off Bethesda.

Not even an update/DLC that adds anything that took much time for them to do, and something that's probably existed as a mod since day 1 because of how easy it is to implement.

They're milking this game so much.

And in the worst way imaginable.

They're dragging their name through the mud with these backward ass decisions.

MUnited83

For you.
I addressed this in my previous post, which you responded to:

Remember that Bethesda already made their intent to legitimize non-curated paid mods clear when they first attempted this. Everything they're doing with Creation Club is to slowly ease people into accepting that original idea. They're doing what all publishers do with shady business practices: Testing the boundaries with ideas that "don't seem too bad" at first, but will lead to far more exploitative circumstances down the line.
That still doesn't make any sense unless they completely change how the creation club is done to begin with. Bethesda is not ever going to let people publish mods willy nilly and pay for every single one.
That game jam video pisses me off. Why not release that stuff as post-release DLC or even throw spears in Dragonborn or whatever? We're in a frozen wasteland where giant mammoths are walking all over the place but we don't have any survival mechanics or spears? It doesn't make sense. Especially when a decent looking implementation of the spears was done in a week.
https://youtu.be/8PedZazWQ48

Made by the same guy. Wonder how the community will interface with it, making expansion mods and whatnot.
A bunch of these did get into the game in updates or expansions.

Recall

The future of Bethesda games hang in the balance here because you all know Fallout 5, Elder Scrolls 6 will be riddled with cut content that will be nickle and dimed to the worst degree.

And to add insult to injury they price these DLC updates/mods not as something you can pay for on the console store at the standalone price but via forcing you to buy more in game store currency than needed. This survival mode is 800 credits but you can't buy just 800 credits, gotta waste money and get the 1500 credit package for a game you already bought for full price - it's all so horrible and displays nothing but pathetic greed.

So little effort put in by Bethesda and they expect to reap massive rewards.

Alebelly

This is Bethesda, it would be inconceivable for them to charge money for what basically amounts to a new difficulty mode. I wholly expect them to implement new skills, perks, equipment modifiers, and a couple new quests to give this mode context and give the fans and the game the proper respect they both deserve.
/s

120v

The Creation Club should be used for things the modding community can't do. Spears have been attempted by the community, but never quite work right. It'd be nice to have spears with animation support and all. Bethesda themselves got it to work at their games jam and then proceeded to never release it. Quest mods would also be a good idea, at least there's perceived value there. Right now, they have items that are otherwise free on Nexus and don't align with their own DLC value-wise, while costing just as much.

that's what i find most confusing about the whole thing. bethesda could make a strong case for this thing with certain mods and i'd be totally be onboard the "but it's really outsourced DLC" bandwagon if pulled off right. but this is what's on offer?

especially at this price point. there's games on my steam wishlist i'm not biting at $10-15. $15 is worth a mini expansion

gogosox82

Lol this sounds like frostfall plus a few more mods tacked on. Is Bethesda even trying to make the creation club not be paid mods at this point?

Zzoram

We shouldn't be surprised by overpriced DLC from Bethesda. Remember when paid DLC first became a thing, the $5 horse armor for Oblivion?

SoulUnison

Banned
So it's free for a week and then if you didn't get it by end of the week it will become a paid purchase according to the Bethesda employee.

So if you want it for free get on it as soon as it becomes available.

Oh, so the implication is that you get it free forever if you grab it during that week?
I had a somewhat more...cynical reading of that description.

I was bracing for Bethesda to release the mod, let a ton of people install and try it out, then pulling back the "license" on it, stranding people's save files and basically holding them hostage.

The PR would be delicious.

Top Bottom