• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim VR has changed my life

Starfield

Last week my cousin got his first ever VR headset, the Oculus Rift S and my god what an amazing device that is!

If you want to get into VR gaming I can only recommend the Rift S. It is cheap compared to the HTC Vive or the Index and offers almost exactly the same fidelity, in some cases it is even the best headset.

First things first: what really blew my mind is that if you are short sighted like I am you WILL notice the same difficulties like in real life. So for anyone who is short sighted I recommend you to use lenses while playing.

Well to the experience itself. I don't know how VR gaming was 5 years ago but I guess quite limited. I tried out the usual Oculus tutorial but SkyrimVR was really a game changer for me.
Inside caves and buildings it works best because of the limited space but even outside its just amazing! Sometimes I just sit down at the edge of a cliff or on a rock and look around. It really feels like youre sitting there, inside the game. You notice details that you would have never seen during a usual playthrough, its a complete other experience then regular Skyrim.

but now comes the interesting part: MODDING

Yes you can mod the VR edition and yes most of the mods work in VR, some may need abit of editing to work but usually simple texture replacers or the most endorsed mods work. SkyrimVR is based on the Special Edition version so make sure you download none of the Oldrim mods (old Skyrim version).
I haven't tried out any nude mods or loverslab mods yet but I'll be ready soon. I fear for my life....

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Last week my cousin got his first ever VR headset, the Oculus Rift S and my god what an amazing device that is!

If you want to get into VR gaming I can only recommend the Rift S. It is cheap compared to the HTC Vive or the Index and offers almost exactly the same fidelity, in some cases it is even the best headset.

First things first: what really blew my mind is that if you are short sighted like I am you WILL notice the same difficulties like in real life. So for anyone who is short sighted I recommend you to use lenses while playing.

Well to the experience itself. I don't know how VR gaming was 5 years ago but I guess quite limited. I tried out the usual Oculus tutorial but SkyrimVR was really a game changer for me.
Inside caves and buildings it works best because of the limited space but even outside its just amazing! Sometimes I just sit down at the edge of a cliff or on a rock and look around. It really feels like youre sitting there, inside the game. You notice details that you would have never seen during a usual playthrough, its a complete other experience then regular Skyrim.

Yes you can mod the VR edition and yes most of the mods work in VR, some may need abit of editing to work but usually simple texture replacers or the most endorsed mods work. SkyrimVR is based on the Special Edition version so make sure you download none of the Oldrim mods (old Skyrim version).
I haven't tried out any nude mods or loverslab mods yet but I'll be ready soon. I fear for my life....
This game was the main reason I got the PSVR and so far I have been slightly disappointed with how bad it looks even on a PS4 Pro. It's like I am looking at a low rez game through a screen door.

I suspect I will get used to it though as it really is pretty cool to be in the world of Skyrim.

Starfield

This game was the main reason I got the PSVR and so far I have been slightly disappointed with how bad it looks even on a PS4 Pro. It's like I am looking at a low rez game through a screen door.

I suspect I will get used to it though as it really is pretty cool to be in the world of Skyrim.
I haven't heard good things about the PSVR, mainly because of the low framerate and resolution. Yes vanilla SkyrimVR can look rough but I recommend to play it ONLY on PC because of the mod support. Don't know how it plays and feels on console

First time VR stories always warm my heart.

Glad you are finally awake traveler.

Thank you!

It's just amazing. Once you get the hang of it it literally feels like the next step of videogaming...
I just hope that all the positive news about VR will make more developers try new things with it and offer more quality experiences so games like Starfield or even TES 6 are built with VR in mind.

I definitely will jump in on the next gen of VR headsets! For now I wait until I get my 3080 or 3080ti

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i just got a Rift S too. made the most sense for me. not paying £900 for an Index. any other headset isn't worth it IMO.

i was gonna get Skyrim VR. maybe i will at some point. i haven't actually played a proper game yet with VR. only messed about with the oculus home/steam vr/OVR toolkit. the only game i played was Gun Club VR which was cool but i still have to play Beat Saber and I'm really wanting to try No Man's Sky VR. if I can get Skyrim VR for cheap I will try it out.

also, i am short sighted. i haven't worn my glasses with the headset. not even tried. i think i will though because it was quite hard to focus properly but i felt it was more because of the headset and not that i wasn't wearing glasses.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Op how's the controls with the oculus knuckles? Classic movement with analog stick? Motion controllers for bow and arrow? It was unplayable for me with the ps moves :/

Last edited:

pr0cs

Op how's the controls with the oculus knuckles? Classic movement with analog stick? Motion controllers for bow and arrow? It was unplayable for me with the ps moves :/
You can choose either teleportation or thumbstick movement. Personally I preferred teleportation, thumbstick works but felt slower and occasionally I would find a little motion sick when turning my head one way but moving another.

I'll agree with the OP, I hated the idea of Skyrim and avoided the myriad of versions because Oblivion and level scaling ruined their RPGs for me.
Skyrim in VR is a fantastic experience though, even the loading 'cave' is pretty immersive, especially for those first experiences

Karak

I have the Reverb and doing Skyrim in that compared to my other sets was night and day due to its resolution. Added Dragonborn natural speaking and a mod to see my arms and legs and its...almost freakish how amazing it can be.
Also a couple mods that let you pick spells on the fly or draw them in the air to cast them versus the menu and suddenly things are very different.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

The index is the best overall package with a great headset, the best controllers and the best tracking. Saying the Oculus Rift S is better is completely false. Its just cheaper. That said there is nothing wrong with Oculus products, but you need to cool your jets claiming they are the best.

I own a Rift, Index and Vive. I also develop for VR. So I kinda know what I am talking about here.

Last edited:
I'm also interested in movement on these fps games. you just use an analog stick to move and strafe like normal and then move your head to look and hand movements aim I assume? I thought initially moving with an analog stick was dimissed as it made people dizzy or is it better these days? To be honest I would much rather have free movement with a stick than have to do teleporting for movement like some games have.

Wonko_C

Being inside the game more than makes up for the loss in resolution, IMO. And I'm playing on a standard PS4. I usually don't like these kinds of games on TV (the combat is awful) but VR has made try lots of games in different genres I wouldn't normally play.

I'm also interested in movement on these fps games. you just use an analog stick to move and strafe like normal and then move your head to look and hand movements aim I assume? I thought initially moving with an analog stick was dimissed as it made people dizzy or is it better these days? To be honest I would much rather have free movement with a stick than have to do teleporting for movement like some games have.

On PCVR both analog sticks should let you move just like you move in TV games, with the added bonus of being able to turn your head independent of your body. I'm already good enough with no sticks on the PS Move controllers that I can even circle-strafe but I can't wait for new controllers with sticks.

Last edited:

The Shepard

This game was the main reason I got the PSVR and so far I have been slightly disappointed with how bad it looks even on a PS4 Pro.

Same here. I'm hoping there's an update when the ps5 is released for skyrim vr, should certainly look better on the new hardware with a patch. Resident evil 7 is excellent in vr if you've not played that, looks much better.

I played a modded version of Skyrim to 'frig' it to work on an Oculus DK2. It felt a bit weird as it seemed the camera was too high off of the ground, it felt like my character was 12ft tall.

That being said, Skyrim, for all its faults, is a beautiful world to walk around.

Hopefully there will be a PSVR2 that blows us away using the power of next gen to give it that all important boost. Ohh man, Vr exclusives made for a set architecture, working on one standard headset, ohh baby those graphics will be sweeeeet

Last edited:

GHG

Yeh it also changed my life.

The first and only VR game to make me physically sick. Never managed to fix it no matter what settings I tried either. Such a shame because I'm sure the game is incredible in VR.

Romulus

I actually thought it looked pretty decent.

But locked 60fps is much of problem. No other console version comes close to that.

Trogdor1123

Yes. It feels a bit better because of the reprojection to 90fps but its essentially 60fps.
That's pretty great. I was worried about this. My number one worry with this was that the fps would be crappy. The PS4 pro version of the game is only 30 fps which is cruddy.

Vawn

Banned
I love VR, but these games that had VR modes put in years later have not impressed me. I can't quite explain it, but I feel the best VR games need to be created specifically (and only) for VR.

But I am all for anything that keeps VR growing, so we get more games like that.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
tenor.gif

Wonko_C

I love VR, but these games that had VR modes put in years later have not impressed me. I can't quite explain it, but I feel the best VR games need to be created specifically (and only) for VR.

But I am all for anything that keeps VR growing, so we get more games like that.
As I played more and more games I've come to think the same way. RE7 was mindblowing at first but it controls nearly the same as if playing on the TV. I don't understand how it still gets ranked very high on so many top lists in 2019.

While Skyrim's VR still feels somewhat shoehorned in at least makes the combat somewhat enjoyable.

Borderlands 2 VR also shows they just did the bare minimum. They needed to put more effort and change a lot of the game's design to feel more like a true VR game, even with the Aim controller, the guns feel like you're just aiming a pointer. No real scope for the long range weapons makes me ignore them completely.

No Man's Sky has been the best in making it feel like a native VR game, with all that motion and gesture stuff. I can even punch a space dinosaur in the face and it works instead of relying on a melee button.

Last edited:

pr0cs

No Man's Sky has been the best in making it feel like a native VR game,
It's a lot of fun in VR, personally I don't I'd even want to play it in pancake mode. But it's a bit of an unoptimized mess. Not really sure how they got it to work on ps4 because you can throw some crazy pc specs at it and it'll still bring your system to its knees

Grinchy

Banned
The part about seeing details you'd not have noticed before is one of the best things in VR for me. Like in RE7, when you're not shitting your pants, you can just walk around this detailed kitchen and every piece of it feels so realized. The holes in the insulation in the broken wall are something you find yourself staring at because the depth of the wooden beams has already caught your eye.

There's nothing like it in regular gaming. The next-gen of VR, when we have big budget games with tons of physics-based objects in every room, is going to be so satisfying.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
The part about seeing details you'd not have noticed before is one of the best things in VR for me. Like in RE7, when you're not shitting your pants, you can just walk around this detailed kitchen and every piece of it feels so realized. The holes in the insulation in the broken wall are something you find yourself staring at because the depth of the wooden beams has already caught your eye.

There's nothing like it in regular gaming. The next-gen of VR, when we have big budget games with tons of physics-based objects in every room, is going to be so satisfying.

Well said. Game is amazing on the PSVR. Really hope Capcom brings it to the PC. There's nothing like peeking around corners and peering close to some of the environmental details, like paintings, etc.

Top Bottom