• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim VR on PS4 drops November 17th

Rhysser

Banned
I installed the PSVR last night and then Skyrim VR. My PS4 Pro is in a different room than the TV because of how loud it is. The cable for the camera isn't that long (and it's proprietary) so I'll just keep the PSVR setup in the other room since I'll be wearing earphones while playing it. This also means that my wife can watch the big TV while I go to Skyrim in the next room. Setup wasn't too bad. I've got two sets of impressions. The first is Skyrim VR and the second is of PSVR while playing the game.

Skyrim VR is a pretty fantastic experience. Despite any visual issues, the feeling of being there is cool and it works pretty well. Being able to lean down and get really close looks at simple things like lamps or chickens is great, as is the feeling of scale and height which you just don't get with the standard game. Leaning in between the bars on the cages to get a good look inside, or leaning down to look under tables and things is pretty awesome. This is the type of VR experience I've been waiting for before investing in the technology. Combat is greatly improved as well. I'm just using the DS4 for now since the move controllers weren't charged up out of the box. I switched it to smooth control and turned off the FOV vignetting immediately. No nausea whatsoever, though that's never been a problem for me so I didn't expect to have it. I did notice a little stuttering on rare occasion but I chalked this up to tracking issues, though it could certainly be engine jank. Not a big deal though. My biggest complaint with the game is really hardware issues, and that brings me to:

PSVR + PS4 Pro is mixed bag. I don't have any experience with Oculus or Vive so I don't know how they compare, and many of these issues may just be the way it is now. First off, the comfort, tracking, and FOV of the PSVR is superior to the Viewmaster Cardboard viewer I had used before. The screen door effect is there but very subtle. It did not distract me at all. I was very comfortable the whole time and played for about 3 hours straight. Also, I can confirm that the HDR passthrough works as intended. Now the complaints:

- Getting the image to look sharp/clear in both eyes is a real problem for me. I have to fiddle with the headset quite a bit and even then it's almost impossible for one eye or the other to not be slightly blurry. Maybe it's just my big noggin. Kinda surprised there aren't any adjustments for focus or eye distance. Virtual Boy had these.

- Despite my best efforts, I'm somehow getting facial oil on the lenses during use. I guess from my caveman-like brow. Have to wipe them off a lot and this is going to lead to accidental scratching one day or another.

- Once adjusted, the central 50% of the screen is clear, but as you get farther than that toward the edges the blurring and chromatic aberration become quite severe.

- I'm shocked at how poorly the headset handles black/dark areas. OLEDs are known for "Inky Blacks" but on the PSVR it's more of a dark gray with a pattern of slightly greenish OLED mura dots or lines.

- I expected compromised visuals in Skyrim VR such as simpler polygonal models or lower textures. I had watched the youtube videos. What I didn't expect inside the PSVR is how utterly soft the image is, like it's got some kind of super-aggressive fullscreen AA solution, or it's running at a resolution below that of the PSVR and being scaled up and blurred? I know things CAN look sharp in the headset because I played some non-VR games on the virtual screen and they looked fine, albeit downscaled, but at least they did not look look soft. Do all PSVR games have that soft look to them or is this more of a Skyrim problem? If the PS4 Pro looks like this I would hate to see the regular PS4 version.

Skyrim VR is exceptionally blurry compared to a ton of other games I played. They all have some blur for far off objects but one of the downsides of Skyrim is that I find myself straining my eyes trying to bring blurry faces into focus. It's sort of a reflex to try to resolve faces much more so than other objects. I didn't have this issue in RE7 for example.

Actually from close up Skyrim seems in line with other things but it seems that objects get blurry much more quickly with increasing distance from the camera.

notacat

Still really enjoying it. It sticks in first person when you're a werewolf.

Exploring is much more fun like this. Entered a cave system I remembered before with nothing in it. Decided to try and jump my way up top of a small waterfall you don't appear to be able to, and made it.

3 gold chunks to mine up there.

Can you still put items on characters heads so they can't see? If you hold down X you can just pick stuff up. i'd guess same goes with the move controllers.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Nice review😊
There is a setting inside the Vr settings that should help with eye distance.. though I have no idea if it works since I have no problem with the original settings😊
About the oled contrast.. maybe adjusting the backlight settings in the menus will help with that.. but I noticed the same though if you have tried rush of blood the loading scene with the little doll head the sorundings are pitch black.. so I don’t know if it’s an engine problem where the game engines black levels are not really fully black..
Also the looking to the sight issue with things getting blurry is present in all the headsets.. I also have a Vive, and there is an even bigger problem with halo effects in dark areas with minimum light sources caused by the lence type they chose to use, plus more noticeable screen door effect even though the resolution is much higher..

This. Oculus and Vive get touted for their higher resolutions but the screen door effect I feel negates that. To me the PSVR is the overall better experience.

But yes I too somehow get oil on the lenses. Suffer from blurriness and have to aligned the headset constantly to get a sharper image.

As for blacks. I haven't noticed anything that isn't pitch black. Could be a Skyrim engine problem, as advised try the brightness settings on the headset. Rush of blood has fantastic contrast with blacks being just that...black.

PSVR isn't perfect, but IMHO it's the best of the bunch at this moment in time.

The Pro is suppose to have the sharper image of Skyrim. I only have the standard so I hope it isn't too blurry.

With regards to the image on the outer area of the lens. Sony packed the pixels tighter in the centre of the screen to lessen SDE (and it worked). Unfortunately the trade off is that the outer pixels are larger thereby creating a pixelated effect on the perimeter of your vision.

This. Oculus and Vive get touted for their higher resolutions but the screen door effect I feel negates that. To me the PSVR is the overall better experience.

But yes I too somehow get oil on the lenses. Suffer from blurriness and have to aligned the headset constantly to get a sharper image.

As for blacks. I haven't noticed anything that isn't pitch black. Could be a Skyrim engine problem, as advised try the brightness settings on the headset. Rush of blood has fantastic contrast with blacks being just that...black.

PSVR isn't perfect, but IMHO it's the best of the bunch at this moment in time.

The Pro is suppose to have the sharper image of Skyrim. I only have the standard so I hope it isn't too blurry.

With regards to the image on the outer area of the lens. Sony packed the pixels tighter in the centre of the screen to lessen SDE (and it worked). Unfortunately the trade off is that the outer pixels are larger thereby creating a pixelated effect on the perimeter of your vision.

The Psvr is the best headset with the worst tracking :(

Grinchy

Banned
The lower Res and frame rate was very apparent when I used the PSVR. It's the most comfortable headset but you're kidding yourself if you think it's better than the occulus or vive headset.

I don't care much one way or the other, but the Oculus and Vive are only 90hz, right? The PSVR headset is 120hz.

Games that use reprojection on PSVR run at 60fps to go to 120fps, and on PCVR, reprojection happens at 45fps to go to 90fps. There are 90fps and 120fps native games on PSVR as well.

I'm not sure how "the lower framerate was apparent." The resolution is lower, so that part is right. And PSVR games might even run at lower than the headset's native resolution sometimes, with other games being able to use supersampling.

Senua

I don't care much one way or the other, but the Oculus and Vive are only 90hz, right? The PSVR headset is 120hz.

Games that use reprojection on PSVR run at 60fps to go to 120fps, and on PCVR, reprojection happens at 45fps to go to 90fps. There are 90fps and 120fps native games on PSVR as well.

I'm not sure how "the lower framerate was apparent." The resolution is lower, so that part is right. And PSVR games might even run at lower than the headset's native resolution sometimes, with other games being able to use supersampling.
The games I tried must've had the reprojection on. And I only play at 90hz, that 45 shit is terrible.

And yea the Res sucked. Driveclub VR was one of the blurriest games I've ever played.

I would so pick up the new Skyrim PSVR bundle if it was $199. But I just can't justify it for more than that. Oh well. I'm thinking I won't be jumping into VR until the PS5 comes out and we have 2nd/3rd gen VR headsets to choose from.

Tumle

The lower Res and frame rate was very apparent when I used the PSVR. It's the most comfortable headset but you're kidding yourself if you think it's better than the occulus or vive headset.
I would not say it’s the better of any headset but I do think it’s comparable, all 3 of them have pros and cons..
And the amount of blurrynes is really up to the game.. it is a weaker system than a high end pc.. but the only difference I see other than lower detailed assets and effects, is are more softer image, not blurry..
But I’m done derailing the thread😊

Just whent through a dungeon with only bow and arrow! So much fun 😊

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Skyrim VR is exceptionally blurry compared to a ton of other games I played. They all have some blur for far off objects but one of the downsides of Skyrim is that I find myself straining my eyes trying to bring blurry faces into focus. It's sort of a reflex to try to resolve faces much more so than other objects. I didn't have this issue in RE7 for example.

Actually from close up Skyrim seems in line with other things but it seems that objects get blurry much more quickly with increasing distance from the camera.

My old 980ti can't even handle most VR games at a 2x supersampling needed for them to not be a blurry mess. You cannot expect the weak PS4 Pro gpu to even stand a chance at doing that, esspecially with an open world game.

I think yall are expecting too much out of such a weak system. Monster PCs are having trouble brute forcing VR! I don't expect to run Skyrim on Vive maxed until I get a 1080ti or whatever the next gen Nvidia gpu is called. We just don't have the power to run a game at 90fps per eye (60 for PSVR) and do all the things needed to A) render an open world, and B) render it with supersampled clarity and view distances.

I would not say it's the better of any headset but I do think it's comparable, all 3 of them have pros and cons..
And the amount of blurrynes is really up to the game.. it is a weaker system than a high end pc.. but the only difference I see other than lower detailed assets and effects, is are more softer image, not blurry..
But I'm done derailing the thread��

Just whent through a dungeon with only bow and arrow! So much fun ��

The PSVR lacks roomscale and thus it should be compared with mobile VR, not the big dogs. It doesn't even come close to the Oculus Rift with touch, let alone the HTC Vive. And this is before you add a monster PC pushing the Vive and Rift.

That said, the PSVR is the best seller due to price and its attachment to the "cheaper than gaming PC" PS4. I own a Rift and Vive and have tried the PSVR. The only thing it does better is comfort.

Krisprolls

Banned

The refresh rate is higher on PSVR (120 Hz with reprojection) so since framerate is apparent to you, you must hate PCVR.

It also has less SDE (screen door effect) compared to PC (actually it has none, unlike Vive and Occulus) and has better comfort.

Most of all, it has big (AAA) games like RE7 (or Farpoint) since that's where the money is made.

So you could definitely argue PSVR is the best VR headset right now.

Tracking is a bit subpar compared to Vive, but who's got tons of free space at home to play anyway ? It's not like you can move very far even with room scale without either touching walls or furniture...

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

just have to agree to disagree. I've used them all and the SDE present on both the Occulus and Vive is too glaring. Its like looking through a chicken wired panel.

But I do agree with the comment above regarding the tracking. The tracking can be bad.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
The refresh rate is higher on PSVR (120 Hz with reprojection) so since framerate is apparent to you, you must hate PCVR.

It also has less SDE (screen door effect) compared to PC (actually it has none, unlike Vive and Occulus) and has better comfort.

Most of all, it has big (AAA) games like RE7 (or Farpoint) since that's where the money is made.

Tracking is a bit subpar compared to Vive, but who's got tons of free space at home to play anyway ? It's not like you can move very far even with room scale without either touching walls or furniture...

Excellent points and wholeheartedly agree.

Tumle

My old 980ti can't even handle most VR games at a 2x supersampling needed for them to not be a blurry mess. You cannot expect the weak PS4 Pro gpu to even stand a chance at doing that, esspecially with an open world game.

I think yall are expecting too much out of such a weak system. Monster PCs are having trouble brute forcing VR! I don't expect to run Skyrim on Vive maxed until I get a 1080ti or whatever the next gen Nvidia gpu is called. We just don't have the power to run a game at 90fps per eye (60 for PSVR) and do all the things needed to A) render an open world, and B) render it with supersampled clarity and view distances.

The PSVR lacks roomscale and thus it should be compared with mobile VR, not the big dogs. It doesn't even come close to the Oculus Rift with touch, let alone the HTC Vive. And this is before you add a monster PC pushing the Vive and Rift.

That said, the PSVR is the best seller due to price and its attachment to the "cheaper than gaming PC" PS4. I own a Rift and Vive and have tried the PSVR. The only thing it does better is comfort.
Then you have not tried mobile VR..
Also the PSVR has as much tracking as a rift with a single camera, just not the same fidelity in the tracking..
With that said I just got moves for my PSVR and have had zero tracking issues so far😊
But I’ll disagree whole heartedly that PSVR is more comparable with mobile VR than it is with PC VR..
That is just a fever dream you are having😋

Pejo

So I picked this up last Friday but didn't have time to play it until last night. Holy shit so good. Taking down a Dragon in VR was way more fun than I expected.

Ironically, the biggest "wow" moment for me was walking up to a horse and just seeing how massive it was in relation to me, and then it stared at me as I walked around him. Really something.

Anyways, I didn't like those warp controls at all, but I feel very at home with the regular movement. Casting is super fun with motion controls, but the sword stuff is very waggle-heavy unless you're playing sub-optimally and actually doing full sword swings. They should have made it so that longer swings did more damage instead of just flapping your wrist at stuff, which is by far the best killing method. Bow stuff is super fun in concept, but just a bit too janky to work in actual combat.

Question - is there any way to back up or strafe while using the motion controls?

Senua

60hz reprojection to 120hz is not even close to 120hz let alone 90hz. As I said I've tried both and PSVR was noticeably less fluid. Tbh the only issue I've had with SDE is the vice, occulus is fine as is PSVR. Also PSVR is noticeably lower Res. Also the move controllers are fucking terrible compared to occulus touch and vives.

There's a reason the PSVR is so cheap you know. You get what yoy pay for.

Krisprolls

Banned
60hz reprojection to 120hz is not even close to 120hz let alone 90hz. As I said I've tried both and PSVR was noticeably less fluid. Tbh the only issue I've had with SDE is the vice, occulus is fine as is PSVR. Also PSVR is noticeably lower Res. Also the move controllers are fucking terrible compared to occulus touch and vives.

There's a reason the PSVR is so cheap you know. You get what yoy pay for.

I tried both and I disagree with you. I have a recent 1070 PC too. PSVR is the best headset overall right now, especially if you include the games available on it like Skyrim, RE7 and Farpoint.

120 Hz is 120 Hz, you don't understand what you're talking about, it's in your head. 120 Hz is technically more "fluid" than 90 Hz, reprojected or not. To be fair, you can't feel the difference between 90 and 120, so none of them will "feel" more fluid, they'll feel the same if you have no bias.

Reprojection just means not the full frame is recalculated (it just moves the pic depending on tracking information once every 2 frames), but it's 120 Hz for your eyes, it's exactly the same. Only the way the pic is calculated changes, nothing else, so you can't feel something that doesn't exist.

Ergo you just want it to be weaker because you paid more. It's called confirmation bias.

The reason why it's cheaper is Sony has been building electronics and optics for dozens of years and it sells millions of their products (including more than 1 million PSVR), while Occulus is a startup built by a kid. That, and unlike PSVR, PCVR didn't sell a lot. (R&D cost is obviously divided by the number of sales).

Sony also makes more money elsewhere (PS+ subscriptions...) so it doesn't need the same margin on the product. You don't always "get what you pay for". It depends on a lot of parameters (margin, sales volume, corp strategy, country where it was made and so on...) You get more for your money at Ikea or if you buy chinese products than if you buy locally with taxes. You definitely don't "get what you pay for" in this example so it's obviously wrong.

You're welcome.

Grinchy

Banned
The games I tried must've had the reprojection on. And I only play at 90hz, that 45 shit is terrible.

And yea the Res sucked. Driveclub VR was one of the blurriest games I've ever played.

Yeah, Driveclub is easily one of the ugliest PSVR games to date. Skyrim has some ugliness going on as well, but at least it's fucking awesome to play so it matters less while playing it.

Senua

I tried both and I disagree with you. I have a recent 1070 PC too. PSVR is the best headset overall right now, especially if you include the games available on it like Skyrim, RE7 and Farpoint.

120 Hz is 120 Hz, you don't understand what you're talking about, it's in your head. 120 Hz is technically more "fluid" than 90 Hz, reprojected or not. To be fair, you can't feel the difference between 90 and 120, so none of them will "feel" more fluid, they'll feel the same if you have no bias.

Reprojection just means not the full frame is recalculated (it just moves the pic depending on tracking information once every 2 frames), but it's 120 Hz for your eyes, it's exactly the same. Only the way the pic is calculated changes, nothing else, so you can't feel something that doesn't exist.

Ergo you just want it to be weaker because you paid more. It's called confirmation bias.

The reason why it's cheaper is Sony has been building electronics and optics for dozens of years and it sells millions of their products (including more than 1 million PSVR), while Occulus is a startup built by a kid. That, and unlike PSVR, PCVR didn't sell a lot. (R&D cost is obviously divided by the number of sales).

Sony also makes more money elsewhere (PS+ subscriptions...) so it doesn't need the same margin on the product. You don't always "get what you pay for". It depends on a lot of parameters (margin, sales volume, corp strategy, country where it was made and so on...) You get more for your money at Ikea or if you buy chinese products than if you buy locally with taxes. You definitely don't "get what you pay for" in this example so it's obviously wrong.

You're welcome.

Games don't have much to do with the quality of the headset.

Reprojected 120hz looks the same as proper 120hz? Are you fucking kidding me?

For comparison I've tried 45hz re projected to 90 and it felt awful in comparison to 90hz, you're telling me I can't tell the difference? The PSVR is a good headset, but it's held back by the weak PS4 hardware, so every game I tried felt like shite because of reprojection. I would love to try proper 120hz games if I get another chance, I'm guessing these are mostly indie titles?

Project Cars 2 at 2x supersampling and 90hz was so far ahead of the experience I had with Driveclub VR I can't even put it into words lol and that's just the headset, the touch controllers are in a completely different league to the Moves, as I said you do get what you pay for. The PSVR is a budget option. Vive and Rift are the proper premium experience ATM until the Pimax's ship.

Yeah, Driveclub is easily one of the ugliest PSVR games to date. Skyrim has some ugliness going on as well, but at least it's fucking awesome to play so it matters less while playing it.

I'm guessing both games are below native res for the headset?

Carl

I kind of bought this spur of the moment on ebay, even though i don't really like Skyrim... But oh well, i may as well play it now that i have it

So should i be playing with Move or with my DS4?

I kind of bought this spur of the moment on ebay, even though i don't really like Skyrim... But oh well, i may as well play it now that i have it

So should i be playing with Move or with my DS4?

Play with move. And just for solidarity's sake I also didn't care for Skyrim up until this point. As soon as I added in the VR and the motion controls the game's become infinitely better and I'm super interested in it now.

Newk86

Casting is super fun with motion controls, but the sword stuff is very waggle-heavy unless you're playing sub-optimally and actually doing full sword swings.

What difficulty are you playing on? Maybe I'm just a Skyrim noob but I haven't been able to get away with any of that. I've actually forgone swords now for a shield and one-handed axe combo just because I can't seem to stay alive long enough unless I can stagger the enemy pretty frequently. I guess I'm probably assuming that axes stagger more than swords too, but it feels like it does. I'm having a lot of fun with it though so maybe better not to tell me if it will break the game too much!

I'm using a little bit of everything actually. I've got frost spells, a one-handed mace, a shield, and then arrows. I can't decide on where I want to specialize!

Tumle

Play with move. And just for solidarity's sake I also didn't care for Skyrim up until this point. As soon as I added in the VR and the motion controls the game's become infinitely better and I'm super interested in it now.
Haven’t played it since the first iteration on PC. It was a fun RPG.. but never finished it.
Coming back to it in VR is something else, love it more than the first time I played it.

Going through the dungeons Legolas style is the bomb!
I would love a VR RPG like this, set in Tolkien’s world:)

Newk86

I'm using a little bit of everything actually. I've got frost spells, a one-handed mace, a shield, and then arrows. I can't decide on where I want to specialize!

I found that I really only used bow when I briefly played the game on PS3. In VR though, I suppose largely due of the difficulty with backpedalling and generally getting around with Moves compared to a regular controller, I've found that I HAVE to specialise in other things. When enemies get to that certain range you're pretty much forced to switch to armed combat.

The upside though is that everything else is so much fun to use too! Bow at long range, magic at medium, and then it's usually a fight to the death.

As a longtime Oculus/roomscale/simpit(since DK2) user, i couldn't disagree with you more. I impulse bought PSVR with Pro and Skyrim last week because well i have the money, and no patience to wait for Skyrim VR PC (Vorpx sucks). I can honestly say that i am thoroughly impressed with the PSVR experience. It's pretty amazing actually. And it is definitely NOT closer to mobile VR (i have Gear VR too). That is crazy talk. Seriously.

Tumle

As a longtime Oculus/roomscale/simpit(since DK2) user, i couldn't disagree with you more. I impulse bought PSVR with Pro and Skyrim last week because well i have the money, and no patience to wait for Skyrim VR PC (Vorpx sucks). I can honestly say that i am thoroughly impressed with the PSVR experience. It's pretty amazing actually. And it is definitely NOT closer to mobile VR (i have Gear VR too). That is crazy talk. Seriously.
Yep. I appreciate his input.. but I too was pleasantly surprised with PSVR after owning a Vive since almost launch.. comparing it to mobile VR and not closer to the PC offerings is dishonest or lack of knowledge..
Well I’m done derailing now.. I already derailed it enough :)

Grinchy

Banned
I'm guessing both games are below native res for the headset?

I wouldn't know for sure but that's my guess. And they both share the similarity of being a regular 30fps game that had to be retrofitted into VR, so it wouldn't be shocking if they had to run at lower resolutions because of it. As ugly as Skyrim can be, Driveclub is just so hard to look at in comparison. I'm probably biased because I'm just not that into racing games, but god damn is Driveclub uuuuugly.

I wouldn't know for sure but that's my guess. And they both share the similarity of being a regular 30fps game that had to be retrofitted into VR, so it wouldn't be shocking if they had to run at lower resolutions because of it. As ugly as Skyrim can be, Driveclub is just so hard to look at in comparison. I'm probably biased because I'm just not that into racing games, but god damn is Driveclub uuuuugly.

I can't vouch for Driveclub, but I'd imagine precision had a lot to do with your distaste. You really have to see what's coming in a racing game to adequately respond to turns and speed. I think the pacing in Skyrim really does it a service in that regard.

Carl

Thanks! Looking forward to giving it a go. Hopefully the motion sickness isn't too bad

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Then you have not tried mobile VR..
Also the PSVR has as much tracking as a rift with a single camera, just not the same fidelity in the tracking..
With that said I just got moves for my PSVR and have had zero tracking issues so far😊
But I’ll disagree whole heartedly that PSVR is more comparable with mobile VR than it is with PC VR..
That is just a fever dream you are having😋

Try the HTC vive or rift (3 sensor). They track better than the psvr for sure, and you can even turn around with the controllers!

Roomscale is what those two have in common. The psvr cannot do roomscale so it can't be compared to them.

The psvr is the best of the non-roomscale headsets by far though.

Comparing a psvr to a rift with a single sensor is missing the point.

IMO the lack of roomscale means i will never purchase one.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't vouch for Driveclub, but I'd imagine precision had a lot to do with your distaste. You really have to see what's coming in a racing game to adequately respond to turns and speed. I think the pacing in Skyrim really does it a service in that regard.

In all fairness, I actually thought having the ability to judge upcoming turns in Driveclub was really cool. If I were more into racing games, I'd probably have gotten some enjoyment out of the game. It's just so hard to look at.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Try the HTC vive or rift (3 sensor). They track better than the psvr for sure, and you can even turn around with the controllers!

Roomscale is what those two have in common. The psvr cannot do roomscale so it can't be compared to them.

But what is the point of roomscale when your tethered by cables? I get it when we are wireless but even without roomscale on psvr, i find myself having to be very careful when standing to ensure i dont step or trip over cabling.

It definitely has its uses, but I'm not sure how often I would use it tbh as I prefer to mostly sit when playing, but that's just me. Valid point though.

divtacular

Neo Member
Question - is there any way to back up or strafe while using the motion controls?

Yup, If you didn't figure this out yet - your movement is dictated by the direction you're pointing the move controller.

Point it behind you and you move backwards. Point it to your left or right; strafing.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Yup, If you didn't figure this out yet - your movement is dictated by the direction you're pointing the move controller.

Point it behind you and you move backwards. Point it to your left or right; strafing.

Sounds cumbersome. Are the move controllers a really good way to play in Skyrim. Why Sony never released thumb controls as an add on or redesign is beyond me.

Tumle

I have the Vive.. so roomscale(though PSVR does as much room scale, as a one camera setup can do) is the differentiator?
I would put the differentiator, at the possibility of moving your head and controls in 3D space, not that I can go 3m in either direction.. you do know that mobile VR only has head rotation (for now)?
I’m not knocking roomscale, but saying that PSVR is more like mobile VR is very disingenuous..
it has so much more in common with PC VR.. and I own both a Vive and a PSVR, just to pull that card :p
Ok now I’m really done..
I’d love more impressions of Skyrim so I’ll just settle with that we have different opinions on what “true” VR is :)

gmoran

I think you are correct that there is a significant improvement, though PSVR still lives with PCVR not mobile, but I disagree on the real differentiators between Vive/Rift and PSVR, which I think are:
  1. Fidelity of tracking
  2. Directional input on motion controllers

Roomscale was initially developed by Valve as a response to locomotion limitations.

Now we all have a lot more experience with VR then I suspect that most of us could easily live with 180' tracking as long as its good:
  • Wide FOV
  • sub-millimetre accuracy
  • Minimal occlusion
  • No drift

Gold_Loot

Sounds cumbersome. Are the move controllers a really good way to play in Skyrim. Why Sony never released thumb controls as an add on or redesign is beyond me.
It actually works quite well once you get the hang of it.

For example. After some experience I can easily circle strafe and back peddle while aiming and firing a bow.

Only downside, is not being able to use left handed magic while moving backwards.

I’m guessing they just ran out of buttons.

Raw Data has the best move controls IMO but the nature of that game requires less menu fiddling and interaction.

When you get better at the bow and can rapid fire arrows it's a super empowering experience.

I made a bee line for Winterhold after Ivarstead so I could develop my destruction spells. Thinking of ditching the shield and lattering to destruction in the left and restoration as a sub tree with one-handed maces and arrows long range.

I really hope this is successful enough that they build VR into the next proper Elder Scrolls game.

Kagero

Seriously, comparing PSVR to Mobile VR is like comparing console games to mobile games. Some people are simply ridiculous.

Krisprolls

Banned
Seriously, comparing PSVR to Mobile VR is like comparing console games to mobile games. Some people are simply ridiculous.

It's especially ridiculous when you realize PSVR is actually better than any other VR headset (including on PC) on a lot of aspects (no screen door effect unlike the competitors, comfort is better, AAA games, refresh rate).

Some people are just angry their headset of choice didn't sell as much as PSVR and gets no big game (PSVR is by far the most successful headset outside of mobile ones). That, and they paid a lot more for it. It makes them a bit salty.

Top Bottom