• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sledgehammer Games making the next Call of Duty (2014)?

Treyarch, Sledgehammer, High Moon, Neversoft, Raven, Certain Affinity, Infinity Ward, Beach Head Studios.

Never Forget: Nihilistic

COD-Declassified-VIta-Sony-Holiday-Event-2012.jpeg

iso135

As somebody that got into CoD MP with MW2 and thoroughly enjoyed BO1, I am happy with this news. Leads me to believe that I can ignore Sledgehammer's MW4 this year and buy Treyarch's BO3 next year.

I hated MW3 and have not played CoD since.

IndustryX

I've poured more hours of my life into the CoD games since CoD 4 then any other franchise and I CANNOT wait for this series to die. Money grabbing, reskinned games with a new perk system catered to noobs and little kids. Ghosts is garbage and the series as a whole is going downhill, Hopefully it's only a matter of time before it goes the way of Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk and every other franchise Activision ruined by cash cowing them.

NHale

I thought this was already confirmed when IW revealed they were working on Ghosts and not MW4.

The foundation of Sledgehammer was always to be a COD studio but they were supposed to be given freedom and time to work on a game (TPS) that was expected to launch this year. But when the IW exodus happened they had to help rescuing that game and their project was left behind and later cancelled.

I'm glad Activision is giving their teams 3 years. It's a step in the right direction. As much hate as this series gets, they have a great formula that so many try to replicate but no one is able to do it.

Duxxy3

Don't see why anybody would be surprised. They have been building up the studio for years. It's about the same size as infinity ward.

Ensoul

The black ops games are the best ones so I am not loving this news.

As for mw3. I was not a fan of it. Then i played ghosts which is probably the worst cod they have made after mw1.

They pretty made no improvement, the maps are not good, killstreaks are boring, and went backward with their killstreaks compaed to black ops 2.

Now I realize how great mw 3 is compared to ghosts.

Surely one of these studios can introduce a little levity into their game. A BF Bad Company approach. CoD has become so po-faced to the point of it being unintentionally funny.

Eusis

Surely one of these studios can introduce a little levity into their game. A BF Bad Company approach. CoD has become so po-faced to the point of it being unintentionally funny.
If Bad Company's any indication enough fans of military shooters hate levity being in their games and Activision seems like the kind of company that would want to favor those people. I think it's immensely stupid but you get that with all sorts of stuff where a lot of people can't seem to handle a bit of humor at all.

If Bad Company's any indication enough fans of military shooters hate levity being in their games and Activision seems like the kind of company that would want to favor those people. I think it's immensely stupid but you get that with all sorts of stuff where a lot of people can't seem to handle a bit of humor at all.
Yeah you're right. I'm struggling through the SPs of CoD Ghost, BF 4 and have all but given up on BF 3. Since these games are inspired in part by Hollywood action movies, many of which are buddy movies really. It would nice if at least one these studios would look to those for inspiration.

"Working on it" does not mean that they are solely making it. Haven't they actually worked on the last couple of COD games?

kuYuri

As an aside, I don't see Call of Duty going into the far future anytime soon. Even Ghosts took place in 2026 (which is one year after Black Ops II's date of 2025, but they are in different universes) and still featured modern era weapons. Black Ops II's weapons weren't all that futuristic either with maybe a few exceptions.

With Bungie on Destiny, I imagine they will cover the sci-fi future FPS genre for Activision's portfolio.

Anyway, these are all just my musings.

Out of curiosity, why aren't they all sharing the same iterative engine build for what is honestly a pretty similar game functionally year by year?

Or are they changing it up notably more between the various entries?

If we go with what Mortimer is saying, I'm kind of assuming this is Modern Warfare 4 and then Treyarch will have Black Ops 3 and then Infinity Ward will have Ghosts 2.

You know, I think Modern Warfare 4 is definitely likely now. IW mentioned to Game Informer that Ghosts originally started out as Modern Warfare 4, but decided to branch it off to its own universe. Maybe IW decided, probably at the behest of Activision, to give the Modern Warfare brand to Sledgehammer and see what they can do with it since it's still fairly popular and well known.

honestly, as long as I have COD4, World at War, MW2, and Black Ops 1, I'm set. Those were the best 4 COD games imo. Black Ops II, COD1 & COD2 are slightly behind those four, but above the rest. MW3 & Ghosts are meh, and COD3 is the absolute worst mainline COD.

this is all IMO, of course. and I'm talking strictly multiplayer here. the campaigns would have different rankings.

Wurdfurd

I want a mp only, $40 entry into the series that follows the Unreal Tournament idea.

MP only. Blops 2 gameplay with classic COD maps voted on by the community + smart, well designed, new maps.

Calling Modern Warfare 4 from Sledgehammer for last-gen and the next Treyarch title, the latter being a current-gen exclusive, for 2014.
I think it will be Sledgehammer CoD on both current gen & next gen in 2014.
Treyarch CoD next gen only in 2015 with no PS360/WiiU versions of CoD

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if they may try to do two games this year like Ubi is rumored to be doing with AC. One for last gen and another for current gen.

It will probably be MW4, which I expect to be very similar to Ghosts. At least with Treyarch we always get something a little different, by that I mean they make the world war era shooters and most recently the futuristic Black Ops 2.

Maybe, just maybe Sledgehammer has a brand new engine for the next COD. That alone would interest me.

Top Bottom