• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

OG Kush

So how demanding, hardware wise, is the PC version?

I wanna run it on my notebook @ 720p with better than console performance. Otherwise, get it on console.

Have Asus G73SW (2.2ghz i7 mobile sandy bridge + 1.5gb Gefore 460m + 8gb RAM).

Trust me, get it on PC. You'll be able to run it, not everything on the highest settings but damn will it still look better than consoles. I'm running on my macbook pro 2.6 i7 quad, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB, and 8gb ram and looks beautiful. They even released patches to make the mouse/keyboard controls really good, but you still got the option to use a 360 controller or ps3 (through motionjoy program).

Andrew.

Banned
I just finished the game but I have one more level to go in the Triad bar. Anyone got some good tips where you can gain som XP quick?

Any missions you have completed can be replayed in the Social Hub. Go for the missions where you haven't filled up the red triad triangles for additional XP. Also, be sure to be wearing the mountaineering outfit (puffy jacket/red mcfly vest, jeans and hiking boots). You will get an additional 15% triad XP boost.

Regarding difficulty issues with the fight clubs, grappling and then slamming the backs of heads up against walls and cargo crates does wonders in terms of crowd control.

One of my few complaints after five hours is that the collectibles aren't done the same way in the Arkham series, where they are marked on your map. Oh well, it least it shows which ones have been collected, so using an online guide for the rest shouldn't be too frustrating.

Otherwise, I'm having a blast so far.

Mario007

One of my few complaints after five hours is that the collectibles aren't done the same way in the Arkham series, where they are marked on your map. Oh well, it least it shows which ones have been collected, so using an online guide for the rest shouldn't be too frustrating.

Otherwise, I'm having a blast so far.

Everything gets a marker on the map, but you have to unlock these markers. You do this by completing the dating missions.

Everything gets a marker on the map, but you have to unlock these markers. You do this by completing the dating missions.
AWESOME! How do I do the dating missions? I met Emma Stone earlier but she hasn't popped up since. Will she return once I progress through more of the story? According to my stat logs I'm already 40% of the way through the main mission which kind of scared me, so I wanted to slow down with things.

Andrew.

Banned
AWESOME! How do I do the dating missions? I met Emma Stone earlier but she hasn't popped up since. Will she return once I progress through more of the story? According to my stat logs I'm already 40% of the way through the main mission which kind of scared me, so I wanted to slow down with things.

If you've already met Emma, then all the health shrine locations should be on your map screen. She won't return, but you will meet other women that will unlock more collectible locations on your map as you progress.

Slow it down a bit and start doing all the favors, races and any available cases.

Mario007

You can call her on your phone and you'll be able to do her mission. At this point you'll probably have Tiffany too. All the girls are actually quite well written in the game and their missions are fun, so all the more reason to do them! (the missions, that is)

If you've already met Emma, then all the health shrine locations should be on your map screen. She won't return, but you will meet other women that will unlock more collectible locations on your map as you progress.

Slow it down a bit and start doing all the favors, races and any available cases.

I think he meant that he did Amanda mission, you know the one where you actually meet her for the first time and go do some kung fu.

After over 25 hours of playing this game, I just came across another cool little thing in the game for the first time. So I'm driving one of my cars around doing whatever and I get stuck inbetween a wall and railing, so I can't get out of either door, so I press triangle and
Wei kicks out the windshield!
My man!

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Like the Sleeping Dogs cover art?

A poster of it is on sale by the artist here: http://sleepingdawgs114.bigcartel.com/

sleeping_dogs.jpg
sleeping_dogs_variant.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished the story after more than 30 hours. Got the game on launch day so it took me quite some time. Mostly played in small segments [like one mission a day].

God that last segment was awesome. It's pretty amazing how this game keeps getting better - story gets better, missions get more elaborate but always keeping the hand to hand combat in the center. Even the final mission, which in most sandboxers is nothing but a neverending shootout, was paced wonderfully. It was refreshing to have a firefight in a room against just 6 guys instead of the usual 20. I loved how Wei's moves got more brutal as the game progressed, and some of the things he does in the final segments are straight out of Manhunt. This game hits the perfect balance between serious hardcore action and funny "random" moments. One moment you're smashing some guy's face in with a table saw, the other you're beating up a drunk hobo who's ruining your sunset photo. The flow and pacing of it all is great - never a dull moment but the balance between a full-on action mission and a low tempo mission is perfect.

This is without a doubt the best game I've played in quite some time. There's so much attention to the details, and the gameplay just never gets boring. Having little groups of thugs standing all over the place was a genius move for the random "I want to beat someone to a pulp" moments. And the voice acting.. Good god, the voice acting. So amazing on every front. From Wei Shen to the local tea vendor, they are all top notch.

My only "problem" with the game's story is that
the entire game is basically the internal power struggle of the Sun on Yi. I figured that after taking down Dog Eyes we would move up to take out the 18k in typical GTA style: you start with the lowlife neighbourhood thug, you beat him and move up to the local wannabee gangster, then the first serious guy and finally the real deal mob.
But I guess that leaves enough room for a sequel, which I pray to god will come one day.

tigerin

Just finished the story after more than 30 hours. Got the game on launch day so it took me quite some time. Mostly played in small segments [like one mission a day].

God that last segment was awesome. It's pretty amazing how this game keeps getting better - story gets better, missions get more elaborate but always keeping the hand to hand combat in the center. Even the final mission, which in most sandboxers is nothing but a neverending shootout, was paced wonderfully. It was refreshing to have a firefight in a room against just 6 guys instead of the usual 20. I loved how Wei's moves got more brutal as the game progressed, and some of the things he does in the final segments are straight out of Manhunt. This game hits the perfect balance between serious hardcore action and funny "random" moments. One moment you're smashing some guy's face in with a table saw, the other you're beating up a drunk hobo who's ruining your sunset photo. The flow and pacing of it all is great - never a dull moment but the balance between a full-on action mission and a low tempo mission is perfect.

This is without a doubt the best game I've played in quite some time. There's so much attention to the details, and the gameplay just never gets boring. Having little groups of thugs standing all over the place was a genius move for the random "I want to beat someone to a pulp" moments. And the voice acting.. Good god, the voice acting. So amazing on every front. From Wei Shen to the local tea vendor, they are all top notch.

My only "problem" with the game's story is that
the entire game is basically the internal power struggle of the Sun on Yi. I figured that after taking down Dog Eyes we would move up to take out the 18k in typical GTA style: you start with the lowlife neighbourhood thug, you beat him and move up to the local wannabee gangster, then the first serious guy and finally the real deal mob.
But I guess that leaves enough room for a sequel, which I pray to god will come one day.

I thought
"Big Smile" Lee was the head of 18k.

SJRB

Gold Member
I thought
"Big Smile" Lee was the head of 18k.

If that's true I must have missed a massive part of the story.

From what I gathered
Pendrew sold Wei out to Big Smile Lee and told him that Wei was an undercover cop
, but that's pretty much it.

Wikipedia synopsis states the same, but is also unclear as to why 18k pops up randomly throughout the game.

tigerin

He's apart of the Sun On Yee. If I remember correctly he's one of the top Red Pole members similar to Winston and Jiang.

Yea, he was part of the elder status for Sun On Yee. But he was associated with and was the mastermind behind the 18k invasion. That's why once Wei killed him, he pretty much destroyed 18k. The people that was guarding the construction site during the Wei tortured scene and at the on-ship restaurant was part of 18k.

I seriously don't know how they're going to make a sequel, if they make one.

Rokam

Been watching a play through of this, some the background conversations are great. Spoilering just in case
when you go into the hospital to get information on the organ stealer, you hear some doctors talking about an increase in vehicle related injuries as if someone was purposefully hitting them, hilarious considering the guy in the play through had just ran over someone while on the way to the mission.

RyuHayate

Just finished! Man, thank you United Front Games (I know some of you guys read this thread). That was quite possibly the most fun experience I've had overall with a game this generation.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Hello, having the Sleeping Dogs white screen of death during startup on my laptop. I bought the PS3 version on launch, and wanted to play some more dogs. :D

GPU = AMD RADEON 7670M, what is going on Square-Enix London - AKA MonkeyThumbs? :/

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Hello, having the Sleeping Dogs white screen of death during startup on my laptop. I bought the PS3 version on launch, and wanted to play some more dogs. :D

GPU = AMD RADEON 7670M, what is going on Square-Enix London - AKA MonkeyThumbs? :/

Please send me a PM with your DxDiag and I'll pass it along. You might also want to contact our Tech Support desk, which you can do by following this link: SQUARE ENIX Support Centre: Sleeping Dogs.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Please send me a PM with your DxDiag and I'll pass it along. You might also want to contact our Tech Support desk, which you can do by following this link: SQUARE ENIX Support Centre: Sleeping Dogs.

Alright, I thought I managed to make it work by download another game, while downloading and installing the other game I was given a new Cdist++ 2007 and 2009 via steam.

The kicker here is that I tried the Sleeping Dogs game shortly thereafter, and it started took me to the game's menu, but when I try to start a new game, the screen goes black and the game crashes to the Steam client.

So how long is the story here?

I've played for around 3 hours, and I'm 30% through the story completion which surprised me because it really doesn't feel like I've focused on that very much at all - and people have said it's around 14 hours for main completion but I can see the story ending in well under 10 :[

I'm having a real blast with it though, such a great setting and so much to do. The variation in missions is great too :]

If the main story is short, then I'll just focus on the other stuff for the time being.

After cock fighting for about 45 mins this morning I finally got 1000/1000. I can't say enough about this game. I'm impatiently waiting on DLC.

Mario007

I've played for around 3 hours, and I'm 30% through the story completion which surprised me because it really doesn't feel like I've focused on that very much at all - and people have said it's around 14 hours for main completion but I can see the story ending in well under 10 :[

I'm having a real blast with it though, such a great setting and so much to do. The variation in missions is great too :]

If the main story is short, then I'll just focus on the other stuff for the time being.

It's around 20 hours, maybe 18.

You can breeze through the story relatively quickly, but I stopped to do all of the side missions and gather all the collectibles. I have four story missions left and have put in 26 hours.

I definitely want to 1000 this game, but there's a gold stat award (the gambling one) that seems super frustrating

Andrew.

Banned
I definitely want to 1000 this game, but there's a gold stat award (the gambling one) that seems super frustrating

It's not bad dude. Just gamble in Kennedy, save after each time you win and it shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes or a half hour. Put on some music and just do it.

I just did today. Honestly just always bet on the underdog u will loose some but eventually it will hit. Just surf the net and do it in the background. Goes by faster that way.

EDIT: Beaten but yea it's not that bad.

It's not bad dude. Just gamble in Kennedy, save after each time you win and it shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes or a half hour. Put on some music and just do it.
Haha, I <3 GAF. This is the tone I read your post in:

"What the hell is this shit about not 1000'ing Sleeping Dogs? Just do it pussy!"

Aye aye sir!

*Goes back to playing until midnight release of Borderlands 2*

This may have been addressed already but is there a known bug in the mission
Mrs. Chu's Revenge
?

My game keeps freezing on the way back to the restaurant.

RyuHayate

This may have been addressed already but is there a known bug in the mission
Mrs. Chu's Revenge
?

My game keeps freezing on the way back to the restaurant.

That happened to me, too. I don't know if it helped, but on my third try it didn't freeze
after I destroyed all of Dogeyes's guards during the chase.

Andrew.

Banned
Haha, I <3 GAF. This is the tone I read your post in:

"What the hell is this shit about not 1000'ing Sleeping Dogs? Just do it pussy!"

Aye aye sir!

*Goes back to playing until midnight release of Borderlands 2*

Not how I meant it at all and dont use such harsh language around my sweet virgin ears.

Returners

Is there a known bug in the game for gambling den?

Can't beat the last cop mission after playing the first hand. Camera doesn't go back to table view.

Not how I meant it at all and dont use such harsh language around my sweet virgin ears.
*Excommunicates himself from Sun On Yee with excessive amounts of shame*

At what point did the achievement where you need to use ten different guns unlock for everyone? I have four missions left and I still don't have it, even though I've been trying to use every new gun I come across.

And can you only obtain Pump Shotguns from the trunks of police cars?

Andrew.

Banned
*Excommunicates himself from Sun On Yee with excessive amounts of shame*

At what point did the achievement where you need to use ten different guns unlock for everyone? I have four missions left and I still don't have it, even though I've been trying to use every new gun I come across.

And can you only obtain Pump Shotguns from the trunks of police cars?

I got the trophy for it right around second to last mission. There's two weapons in particular that you won't come across until then. Pump shottys I've always found in po po trunks.

By the way, I beat "The Election" so hard last night (disarming pretty much everyone, fighting hand to hand & only shooting the guys on the scaffolding next to the explosive tanks) that I broke the game and it only gave me a score of 185 when all was said and done.

Mario007

Just asked on PS Blog about a DLC and they'll be announcing info on the first DLC this week!:

We’ll be making a announcement about our upcoming DLC plans later on this week, so keep your eyes peeled!

Top Bottom