• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

So, I'm thinking about buying Sleeping Dogs...anyone thats played it for more than an hour or two, and would be willing to give some brief feedback?
I always like to hear from the community first before reading (or not reading at all) gaming magazine reviews.

JoeBoy101

So, I'm thinking about buying Sleeping Dogs...anyone thats played it for more than an hour or two, and would be willing to give some brief feedback?
I always like to hear from the community first before reading (or not reading at all) gaming magazine reviews.

I got about four hours in and have barely hit the plot. I've been running favors and doing a few cop missions. The depth is impressive with collectibles, upgrades based on your Triad XP bar and your Cop XP bar (there are separate missions for both). Combat is kinetic and fluid with the environment presenting some interesting options as well. Graphics are fantastic (this is on PC), and driving controls are good.

My only criticism is the overall controls feel a bit loose and jittery. Otherwise, so far, its coming across as Mafia II level quality, but with much more to do outside of missions. Frankly, having more fun with it than I had with GTA IV.

saladine1

Cops aren't as ruthless as in GTA. I smacked a few cops around, ran into a building and they just stood at the entrance doing nothing..

XenoRaven

So how many times in this game is the word "cop" used? Keep in mind that this will significantly affect my decision to purchase this game.

hauton

How do you guys feel this captures the atmosphere of Hong Kong?

Looking at previews and gameplay videos and whatnot, I'm worried it's a bit inauthentic. The effort is there, but it still feels quite corny. Hong Kong, for the most part, does not look like a stereotypical Chinatown. Some of the comments especially in a dev interview especially threw me off.

As someone from HK, that would be a make or break deal for me. I would rather just play GTA4 if this didn't represent the city well enough.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my key from GMG. I had to email their support though...

I told em about this thread, so James if you're reading this, I hope this isn't a regular occurrence.

Noe to get home, install, and cry... :'(

JoeBoy101

Looking at previews and gameplay videos and whatnot, I'm worried it's a bit inauthentic. The effort is there, but it still feels quite corny. Hong Kong, for the most part, does not look like a stereotypical Chinatown. Some of the comments especially in a dev interview especially threw me off.

As someone from HK, that would be a make or break deal for me. I would rather just play GTA4 if this didn't represent the city well enough.

Well...

HKShip2012-08-1414-20-16-57.jpg

HKShip2012-08-1411-48-49-04.jpg

Now, I've never been to Hong Kong, but I'll say this: it doesn't feel like some Chinatown retread.

XenoRaven said:
The number of times the word "cop" is used is directly proportional to the amount of dollars I am willing to spend.

One of the XP bars is named Cop and you gather Cop experience while doing story missions and specific Cop missions. I'm not exaggerating any of that.

KePoW

Banned
How do you guys feel this captures the atmosphere of Hong Kong?

They did not model the game on the exact city of HK, if that's what you're asking. Doesn't bother me, I find this game more fun than GTA4 (which I liked).

I don't care if it's real cities or not.

JoeBoy101

Now to get back to the game, where a dangerous, life or death crime story that has you at the edge of a knife plays out.

HKShip2012-08-1414-23-05-78.jpg

HKShip2012-08-1414-25-30-16.jpg

Whaaaat? Everybody's gotta have some downtime.

outsida

Game is smooth as butter on my laptop and looks great with the high res textures. I'm also loving the small portion I've played thus far.

MBison

So on steam do I just download the game first then the hi res pack? Then launch the game normally and it should all be installed correctly?

RS4-

Ok finally finished, took around 18 hours. I didn't bother to complete everything (80-90% remaining on the side stuff) so I'd say that it's probably a 20 hour game.

AcridMeat

Banned
Now that I've got the game downloading I'm not as mad anymore. I really hope they send out the keys for Borderlands 2 before for pre-load though.

JoeBoy101

THE FUCK D: It seams rather short ;(

The story is 20 hours. With side stuff, its about 40 hours.

Gav47 said:
How's the pop-in in the finished PC version? Also, does the city density option make the city feel more crowded?

I haven't seen any bad instances, but then the city is very claustrophobic so you don't have wide expanses that you see alot of times. As for density, I wouldn't say it feels crowded with people, but it can feel busy. Alot depends on location of how many people. The streets can be quite busy at times though.

Someone who has beated Bully and its playing the game. Its the gameplay seem similar but with triads, I mean the control and all thatl.

For my PAL-people:

The Steam unlock just shifted from Friday 7pm GMT to 12am, which is good news.

Why we are not getting it the 6th at 12pm unlocked still boggles my mind.

SJRB

Gold Member
Cool, already playing through vpn but waiting until friday for hires textures.

I would totally not like a pm with detailed information on how you did that, no sir.

By the way, for the benchmarking people out there: I run a GeForce GT 530 with 2024 mb RAM on an i5 with 6GB RAM, how would this game do, performance wise?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm absolutely in love with this game, but nobody else on my Steam friends list is playing it, and while I'm enjoying be #1 on the friend leaderboards, it'd be nice to have other people.

I'm sopite on Steam if anybody wants to add me.

For those asking about vpn.
How to use VPN with steam:
1. Exit steam.
2. Download and run a VPN client with US servers ( I use spotflux)
3. Launch steam with the vpn running and unlock your games.
4 Keep the vpn running until the game is released in your region or go into offline mode and turn off the vpn. If you turn off vpn you will have to stay offline until release.

Also don't buy anything while under VPN. You can have your steam account suspended. If you need to purchase anything turn off the vpn and relaunch steam first.

Top Bottom