• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too ugly to be real imo. Sony is tops in the electronic market when it comes to visual aesthetic of their products, and the PS3 is one of the most elegant looking consoles ever made. Can you really see them releasing this square-matte piece of shit? Photo's of the assembly line and box look real so I'm not really sure what to make of all this yet.

dalyr95

Surprised no one has mentioned the similarity to the PSOne logo:
150px-PS_one_(logo).png

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oni Jazar said:
doh! Well that's good because I can't see a PS3 without blu-ray. If that's the case then I'm going to lean towards BS. Why would the box only promote PSN?

I don't think it's exclusively promoting it..you only see 3 of the six sides of the box here. PSN is important to Sony too.

criesofthepast said:
Too ugly to be real imo. Sony is tops in the electronic market when it comes to visual aesthetic of their products, and the PS3 is one of the most elegant looking consoles ever made. Can you really see them releasing this square-matte piece of shit? Photo's of the assembly line and box look real so I'm not really sure what to make of all this yet.

I see some bloggers harping on the material appearance too. But it looks to me like the same stuff the PS2 and PStwo were made from.

Plus it probably looks a tad more polished when all put together :p (not the material, but just the overall look)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
gofreak said:
Uncharted 2 was at one point mooted for September, although I don't think it's a massive release sales-wise.

I wouldn't pin it down to a specific month just yet anyway.

Its not like we know the big games that will be announced at E3 which may change the schedule.

_dementia said:
why would they change the font?
-Sony did complain about how their logo appears on adds for 3rd party games, a long fonted PLAYASTION 3 logo a la SPider-Man was not eye catching

a clear simple eye catch big PS3 logo will catch attention

nobody likes the Spider-Man font anyway wile the Wii and 360 logos stand out

Personnaly, a marketing rebranding is in order, price cut, re-image yourselves etc, get consummers back

gcubed

Oni Jazar said:
doh! Well that's good because I can't see a PS3 without blu-ray. If that's the case then I'm going to lean towards BS. Why would the box only promote PSN?

why? its one side of the box. The entire back of the box is probably dedicated to the games and movies.

hirokazu

PuppetMaster said:
The box is probably just a mock up.

They did the same thing for TGS and I believe even E3 when they first were showing off the PS3 to the public. They created a bunch of fake boxes and stacked them up to make people salivate over them. But of course they were all empty.

There might be a mistake or two on it. Sony's art team seems to do this sometimes. Remeber the PGR4 screen shot for the PS3 marketing. Or the Valkyria Chronicles screenshot for PSP marketing.
I don't remember the Valyria Chronicles mistake, but the PGR4 thing was on their website. I'd assume somebody on their web design team made a boo boo, it may be just me, but I'm not totally surprised something like that would happen with the web team.

Psychotext said:
So who is willing to try fitting it onto this?

296i22w.jpg
No-one? Come on GAF... I know you have the photochop skillz! :D

(I know we can't work out the height at this point, but a depth / width comparison would be interesting)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
criesofthepast said:
:lol
Wait, you were serious.
Oh god, I'm so sorry. I had no idea. I guess you were probably born this way, though, so it would be mean of me to mock you.

methane47

hirokazu said:
Actually, I just noticed that the box says "PlayStation 3"

Officially, Sony mandates the system be called "PLAYSTATION 3" in all caps in logos and documentations, and this even holds with the recent abbreviation of the logo to just "PS3" with the "PLAYSTATION 3" text beneath it:

http://i44.tinypic.com/fbzvko.jpg

Small note, but I think that's a pretty big pointer to this being fake.

.... Compelling indeed..

DieH@rd

Banned
soo, you put THIS
PS3_Slim_1.jpg

onto THIS
PS3_Slim_4.jpg

Yeah, that might work. HDD on the front, with some sort of cover to mask it up.

But if this is complete view of the console:
vhe3pt.jpg

Where are the doors to he HDD? They are not visible from this angle.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Psychotext said:

(I know we can't work out the height at this point, but a depth / width comparison would be interesting)

I posted a width/depth comparison with the original PS3 a while back:

23lfhx0.jpg

It might be good if someone else trys to extrapolate the dimensions though :p I wouldn't necessarily trust these completely!

I reckon the back of the base part shown is also 3cm high..but impossible to say how high the thing is in total. But it gives me hope that it's slimmer than it is shallower and narrower. edit - push to guess, totally guess, I would say it might be 6 or 7cm high at its highest point compared to the 10cm on the current model.

DieH@rd said:
soo, you put THIS

onto THIS
Yeah, that might work. HDD on the front, with some sort of cover to mask it up.

But if this is complete view of the console:
vhe3pt.jpg

It's not, it's just the top bit of the shell.

hirokazu

gutter_trash said:
-Sony did complain about how their logo appears on add for 3rd party games, a long fonted PLAYASTION 3 logo a la SPider-Man was not eye catching

a clear simple eye catch big PS3 logo will catch attention

nobody likes the Spider-Man font anyway wile the Wii and 360 logos stand out
Yeah, that's the reason why they introduced the "PS3" in Spider-man font in trailers recently, so that's already been solved.

fanboi said:
No one wants to make a three month ban bet?
I say its for realz.
I'm probably going to regret this, but I'll take the ban bet. I say it's fake.

But I'm still on the fence, really, just leaning towards fake.

krae_man

hirokazu said:

Officially, Sony mandates the system be called "PLAYSTATION 3" in all caps in logos and documentations, and this even holds with the recent abbreviation of the logo to just "PS3" with the "PLAYSTATION 3" text beneath it:

fbzvko.jpg

Small note, but I think that's a pretty big pointer to this being fake.

The "Only on Playstation" branding is in both upper and lower case.

They have also done both when it comes to Playstation Network:

61v2BPnCiRdL__SL500_AA280_.jpg

51sGypx5HvL__SS400_.jpg

Edit: My avitar?

*searches Faq and TOS*

Wow, my avitar file size was slightly over the limit but not excessive. A simple please change it PM would have sufficed.

Mrbob

I don't think that shell is finalized. I agree it looks a bit plain compared to normal sony aesthetic.

I would have caution to say this is a fake too if not for the comments of a couple people in this thread.

It also could be the horrible quality of the pictures. It might look completely sexy up close.

Clean, simple look. It is almost like the Nintendo Wii.

fanboi

Banned
hirokazu said:
Yeah, that's the reason why they introduced the "PS3" in Spider-man font in trailers recently, so that's already been solved.

I'm probably going to regret this, but I'll take the ban bet. I say it's fake.

But I'm still on the fence, really, just leaning towards fake.

Deal!

If nothings heard after E3 the deal is off? Or should we wait?

Wollan

Psychotext said:

296i22w.jpg

I tried.

hirokazu

krae_man said:
The "Only on Playstation" branding is in both upper and lower case.

They have also done both when it comes to Playstation Network:

61v2BPnCiRdL__SL500_AA280_.jpg

51sGypx5HvL__SS400_.jpg
I know, but those are all separate PlayStation brands - most of them use the regular uppercase for P and S only, only the PlayStation 3 logo is the exception.

Unless you can show an instance where they spelled it as "PlayStation 3" rather than "PLAYSTATION 3"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
fanboi said:
Deal!

I'd say wait until after Cologne at least :p

I wouldn't expect an announcement at E3 if it's not coming till Fall (Sep/Oct).

Psychotext said:

Bit too early for that, but I'd reckon if you stuck 2 Wiis on top of each other, then put another two on the side, that would be about the right size.

hirokazu

fanboi said:
Deal!

Yes, I think the deal should expire at E3 because it makes sense for them to reveal it there, but I'm willing to extend it a bit longer.

But how can we prove if it's fake? If they reveal nothing, then it'd be inconclusive. The only way to prove it's fake is if they reveal a slim and it looks nothing like these pics...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
fanboi said:
Cologne it is! (what is that? :lol )

It's the big euro expo, what Leipzig was previously.

One could stretch and say wait until TGS is over, but I think we'll know by the end of August.

hirokazu

gofreak said:
I'd say wait until after Cologne at least :p

I wouldn't expect an announcement at E3 if it's not coming till Fall (Sep/Oct).
What's happening at Cologne? (and when is it?)

EDIT: nevermind, answered.

gofreak said:
If the HDD is accessible you could just swap them.

Other than that you'd be kind of out of luck..unless you want to manually upload your files to a file storage service on the net via the browser and then redownload them :p

No ipod or anything you could borrow to transfer stuff across?
Can't just swap hard drives between PS3s, it reformats them (they're keyed to a specific console).

acm2000

DieH@rd said:

if this is even real, a fixed internal hdd would save money on internal housing etc, and the underside of the flap would be cooling for the hdd

fanboi

Banned
hirokazu said:
So... it's easy to determine if it's real... what's the rules for determining that it's fake??

If the final console has very little resemblance in these picture?
gofreak is the judge :)

tfur

I am ready, willing and able to believe.

I think this design looks nice. It seems like it would comfortably fit in a briefcase.

acm2000 said:
if this is even real, a fixed internal hdd would save money on internal housing etc, and the underside of the flap would be cooling for the hdd

And the system would lose one of it's main advantages.

hirokazu said:

Officially, Sony mandates the system be called "PLAYSTATION 3" in all caps in logos and documentations, and this even holds with the recent abbreviation of the logo to just "PS3" with the "PLAYSTATION 3" text beneath it. Small note, but I think that's a pretty big pointer to this being fake.

That was/is the current guidelines for the PS3 logo. However, they really need to unify their brands (I've seen different styles for PlayStation Network and Home) and a newly design console plus lower price point is a good time to launch this rebranding. They seem to be going back to their roots with a classic PlayStation font style which makes sense.

So just looking at the current logo guidelines does not mean this new style is a fake. It just might be a sign of an upcoming change (and a welcome change at that).

hirokazu

fanboi said:
If the final console has very little resemblance in these picture?
gofreak is the judge :)
That's only assuming they reveal a slim PS3 at all, which is very unlikely, IMO, if this isn't real. ;)

fanboi

Banned
hirokazu said:
That's only assuming they reveal a slim PS3 at all, which is very unlikely, IMO, if this isn't real. ;)

Yes, if they reveal a Slim, only then is the bet on, and it should happened before Cologne.

Crisis

Banned
The existence of English packaging and way more pictures than you would expect for something releasing months from now seem to indicate that it'll release sooner than September. They usually release the Japanese version of the consoles and such first as well so I'm somewhat surprised that English packaging leaked first. If it's coming out in September they'll probably price cut the current PS3 at E3 to get them off shelves and announce this thing at TGS for a simultaneous worldwide launch in September.

Dunlop

criesofthepast said:
and the PS3 is one of the most elegant looking consoles ever made.

Everyone keeps saying this, I can't stand the look of the PS3. It really looks out of place verses most AV equipment which can be a factor for some.

Oddly enough I don't seem to have the dust magnet issue with mine that many complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom