• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sling TV Launching on Xbox One

Xbox said:
Our vision at Xbox is to bring your games and entertainment together. Important to that vision is our focus on partnering with television providers and content distributors to deliver rich, differentiated TV and video experiences. Today, we’re pleased to share the news of a relationship with the newly announced Sling TV, which is backed by DISH. Sling TV is an over-the-top, television service that will deliver live sports, lifestyle, family, news and information channels, Video-On-Demand (VOD) entertainment, and the best of Internet video for $20 per month. With Sling TV, there’s no commitment, contract, credit check, hardware installation, or hidden fees. Channels will include ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Cartoon Network, and Disney Channel. And Xbox One will be the exclusive gaming console when it launches in the coming weeks.

What’s more, as the first gaming console where Sling TV will be available, we’re excited to announce that all Xbox Live members will get an exclusive extended free trial for one month at launch.*

”Xbox is onboard as the first gaming console where Sling TV will be available,” said Bassil El-Khatib, vice president of Sling TV. “We created the live Internet TV service for millennial consumers underserved by the pay-TV industry. One of the keys to reaching this audience is being on the devices they use, and we know millions of consumers are turning on their Xbox every day to access content they love.”

“We’re thrilled to partner with Sling TV as they bring this exciting new service to life, and we look forward to launching the Sling TV app on Xbox One in early 2015 as the first gaming console where the service is available,” said Mike Nichols, Corporate Vice President, Marketing for Xbox. “We’re committed to bringing great entertainment options to gamers and our relationship with Sling TV is an important milestone in that journey and in offering more choices to our Xbox fans.”

*Sling TV is offered at $20 per month; Xbox Live members must sign up for extended free trial

Xbox watch Internet TV if old

Bessy67

Whoa. This is intriguing. ESPN streaming without cable...

Exclusive? Or first? Why can't these guys ever be upfront about anything?
“We’re thrilled to partner with Sling TV as they bring this exciting new service to life, and we look forward to launching the Sling TV app on Xbox One in early 2015 as the first gaming console where the service is available,” said Mike Nichols, Corporate Vice President, Marketing for Xbox. “We’re committed to bringing great entertainment options to gamers and our relationship with Sling TV is an important milestone in that journey and in offering more choices to our Xbox fans.”
Seems pretty cut and dry.

Shady859

Whoa. This is intriguing. ESPN streaming without cable...

Seems pretty cut and dry.

I'll definitely be checking this out and love that the evil empires are finally getting real competition in offering tv programming.

If Sling or someone added SEC Network and Fox Sports Ohio to a package like this I could cut cable. Honestly though TWC/Insight has been really cool with retention bundles when you threaten to quit them. I pay about $30 a month for $80+ worth of hdtv/dvr/movies bundle versus just what my internet would cost.

I'd be set if they'd ever allow you to add Sunday Ticket to it.

You can already get that through a seperate app. Cheaper Redzone only channel would be nice instead.

Hmm, pretty nice. Really needs AMC and Comedy Central for me though. Once they add those channels I would gladly pay the $5 add-on price for them to bring it up to $30 a month. I would save a lot of money.

edit: Ah, the $5 add-ons are based on "genres"...hmm

I'd be set if they'd ever allow you to add Sunday Ticket to it.

Already exists on it's own. edit: saw your post below, sorry :p

Additionally, HBO is coming out with it's own stand alone service this year.

I'm finally close to cutting crappy Comcast out of my life.

link1201

I'll definitely be checking this out and love that the evil empires are finally getting real competition in offering tv programming.

If Sling or someone added SEC Network and Fox Sports Ohio to a package like this I could cut cable. Honestly though TWC/Insight has been really cool with retention bundles when you threaten to quit them. I pay about $30 a month for $80+ worth of hdtv/dvr/movies bundle versus just what my internet would cost.

You can already get that through a seperate app. Cheaper Redzone only channel would be nice instead.

Not in my area, apparently. I don't want a dish on my house. I haven't seen any seprate app for it apart from Dish tv.

Hmm, pretty nice. Really needs AMC and Comedy Central for me though. Once they add those channels I would gladly pay the $5 add-on price for them to bring it up to $30 a month. I would save a lot of money.

Already exists on it's own. edit: saw your post below, sorry :p

Additionally, HBO is coming out with it's own stand alone service this year.

I'm finally close to cutting crappy Comcast out of my life.

I just did a two year deal with Comcast. I know its my own fault but it got me a better deal. I hope that by the time I am free that this has taken off and I can join so I can get rid of one of the shittiest company's ever. AMC and CC would be needed though.

Shady859

Not in my area, apparently. I don't want a dish on my house. I haven't seen any seprate app for it apart from Dish tv.

I may be mistaken but I thought there was the direct tv NFL ticket stand alone app on Xbone this season? I know my friend got it this year on PS4 and I got it the 2 years prior on PS3. He lived in apartment and I lived in a house, no questions asked you just selected unavailable in your living situation if they asked on the form and it played no problems. It wasn't cheap though, aside from the year you got the season ticket included in the Madden bundle for $100. I think I paid $200-250 the year prior.

link1201

I may be mistaken but I thought there was the direct tv NFL ticket stand alone app on Xbone this season? I know my friend got it this year on PS4 and I got it the 2 years prior on PS3. He lived in apartment and I lived in a house, no questions asked you just selected unavailable if they asked on the form and it played no problems.

I have tried it twice to get nfl games. I try to sign up and it's states that I can't have it in my area without a dish. I have never called them up. I may call them this next year and find out what the deal is.

McHuj

Wow. I may have to opt for the X1 then.

College football on ESPN is the only thing I care about and now I have an option of getting it without a cable subscription.

e90Mark

Really interested as a cable cutter.. I was actively watching PS Vue, but this seems pretty good as well. Just glad there are more services to choose from.

I like how they have ESPN and add-on packages are as low as $5 tacked on.. Sounds great.

Levyne

Banned
It sounds awesome, but I'm not sure how much I could save on my comcast bill by dropping tv from the tv+internet duo thing. Guess I'll have to find out.

Orca

Fake Sony PR said:
We evaluated the Sling TV subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect,” a Sony representative told us via email. “PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price. We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $20 a month for this TV-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer.

Did the work for them.

U2NUMB

Just this weekend I bought an antenna to pick up local stations... seriously thinking about cutting cable so this is interesting indeed...

H3xum

It sounds awesome, but I'm not sure how much I could save on my comcast bill by dropping tv from the tv+internet duo thing. Guess I'll have to find out.

My duo is 120 a month after HD/DVR fees. Same internet looks to be 53 a month for me. that + 20 = 600ish a year savings.

Bsigg12

Interesting. With Centurylink Gigabit internet showing up in a month or two where I live, this may be what I do going forward.

McHuj

Honestly, this is what I expected from MS last May when the announced the X1. That's what they needed to provide, not HDMI in.

U2NUMB

Single stream per account sorta sucks....certainly try it out.

What are the chances cable companies throttle the crap out of this?

Bgamer90

Banned
Just this weekend I bought an antenna to pick up local stations... seriously thinking about cutting cable so this is interesting indeed...

I've been a cord cutter for almost three years. Have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, ESPN3 via my internet subscription, and an antenna for local channels/sports. Pay less than $30/month for all of it.

If Sling TV is good then that would give me all ESPN content + TNT + Cartoon Network + Disney + a few more channels for just $20 more -- totaling to $50/month. I know some people who pay double that for cable TV.

I'm never going back to cable/satellite TV.

FinKL

Can't wait to try this. As a cable cutter, household complaints about H&G TV, and this will solve that and add some things for me.

This is a good start but isn't going to change anything for me as a current cable subscriber. Cool if you have nothing though and want a little something for everyone.

If I could pay something like $5/month per channel from a large pool of channels I'd almost definitely pick and choose and drop cable. So $5 per channel with a discount like buy 8 choose 2 free, so 10 channels of my choosing for $40. I'd also need to be able to switch my subscription monthly to add/remove any channels or cancel it completely. That is the model I think that would really hurt Comcast. I hope it happens.

Also this isn't going to work if Comcast decides to throttle/data cap their entire customer base in response to things like this, which I imagine they'd try to do.

Zerin

I have tried it twice to get nfl games. I try to sign up and it's states that I can't have it in my area without a dish. I have never called them up. I may call them this next year and find out what the deal is.

The standalone NFL Sunday Ticket package for streaming customers is for people who can't get DirecTV, you can't get it otherwise without some shenanigans (presumably a dish-ineligible billing address).

Sunday Ticket remains the reason we will be with DirecTV, if that $300 offer comes back that was on PS3 just 1 year we may have some options.

Occam

Exclusive? Or first? Why can't these guys ever be upfront about anything?

If I'm understanding the Microsoft-speak correctly "And Xbox One will be the exclusive gaming console when it launches in the coming weeks." just means it will be on Xbone first, and come to other consoles later.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
for a second i thought they were integrating slingbox into xbox

then my happiness turned into sadness

McHuj

If I'm understanding the Microsoft-speak correctly "And Xbox One will be the exclusive gaming console when it launches in the coming weeks." just means it will be on Xbone first, and come to other consoles later.

Depends on how things go with Playstation Vue. If Vue gets EPSN, Sony might not really be concerned with getting this Direct TV service.

Top Bottom