• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sling TV Launching on Xbox One

zychi

Banned
Nice thing about Comedy Central is 90% of their shows are free online now. If you don't mind waiting a few hours to watch TDS or the new South Park, you' don't need to pay for the channel.

Now if we could only get internet speeds up and prices down in the US

Chucker

Have a sling box set up and use sling player on my WDTV in the kitchen. Doesn't sound like this will help me.
Bummer.

link1201

The standalone NFL Sunday Ticket package for streaming customers is for people who can't get DirecTV, you can't get it otherwise without some shenanigans (presumably a dish-ineligible billing address).

Sunday Ticket remains the reason we will be with DirecTV, if that $300 offer comes back that was on PS3 just 1 year we may have some options.

Ok, I always get Direct and Dish confused. I would pay a premium for the Sunday Ticket streaming deal. I don't want a dish though.

Meier

Wow. I may have to opt for the X1 then.

College football on ESPN is the only thing I care about and now I have an option of getting it without a cable subscription.

Unfortunately college football will be over for 7.5 months in a week.. I'd imagine other systems will have SlingTV added during that period. Nice get in the interim for MS though.

e90Mark

for a second i thought they were integrating slingbox into xbox

then my happiness turned into sadness

You're not the only one. The Verge addressed this in their article.

The Verge said:
Dish's grand experiment is called Sling TV, and before going on, we need to point out that it has very little to do with the Sling brand you may already be familiar with. There's no direct partnership with Slingbox or Sling Media, though both it and Dish are beneath a single parent company, EchoStar. So right off the bat, it's a somewhat confusing name that Dish maybe could've done better with.

As a cable cutter, this seems like a great option. I had cable bundled in with my Internet for a year, but since the price jumped up 30 bucks,this is a more viable alternative.
If they get rid of the abysmal data cap!

Bgamer90

Banned
Nice thing about Comedy Central is 90% of their shows are free online now. If you don't mind waiting a few hours to watch TDS or the new South Park, you' don't need to pay for the channel.

Yeah exactly. Same is true for many of the Viacom channels.

That was a big reason why I didn't get too excited over Sony's Vue -- Vue has many Viacom channels that put their shows on official websites for free.

Zerin

Wouldn't be surprised if Sony opted against adding SlingTV in another EA Access-style move to promote Playstation Vue. It's not on Sony TVs either.

SlingTV supported devices:
  • Amazon Fire TV
  • Amazon Fire TV Stick
  • Google Nexus Player
  • LG Smart TVs
  • Mac / OS X
  • Roku set-top boxes
  • Roku Streaming Stick
  • Roku TV
  • Windows PC
  • Xbox One

BobLoblaw

Banned
More info here: http://lifehacker.com/sling-tv-will-stream-espn-and-a-few-other-channels-fo-1677538346

I haven't really watched TV outside of wrestling for over a year, so this doesn't appeal to me at all. But if I was interested, the bit in this article about add-on channel packs for an additional fee would scare me off.
You do know that that's how it's been since the invention of cable tv, right? You want more channels then you pay more.

I've been a cord cutter for almost three years. Have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, ESPN3 via my internet subscription, and an antenna for local channels/sports. Pay less than $30/month for all of it.

If Sling TV is good then that would give me all ESPN content + TNT + Cartoon Network + Disney + a few more channels for just $20 more -- totaling to $50/month. I know some people who pay double that for cable TV.

I'm never going back to cable/satellite TV.
My man. I'm in the same position with amazon and netflix plus an antenna for sports. Paying $20 a month AND getting ESPN, CNN, TNT, HGTV (for the gf) for my Roku would be a no brainer.

mildewproduction

Sports aren't a part of the $20 basic package. Basic package for $20 will have Disney Channel, ABC Family, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim. Sports package will be add-on at a later date.

They want you to think you are getting ESPN for $20, but you will be paying closer to $30 most likely.

Also you will be paying another $5-$10 for local networks if you want those.

Bgamer90

Banned
Sports aren't a part of the $20 basic package. Basic package for $20 will have Disney Channel, ABC Family, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim. Sports package will be add-on at a later date.

They want you to think you are getting ESPN for $20, but you will be paying closer to $30 most likely.

Also you will be paying another $5-$10 for local networks if you want those.

Is there a link for this? Everything I've read put ESPN in with the other channels you mentioned (the basic package).

The separate packages I've read about were for more kids networks and more news networks.

mildewproduction

The original story I read was wrong. Here is PR from Dish

Priced at $20 per month, “The Best of Live TV” core package includes 12 Nielsen-rated sports, lifestyle, family and news networks: ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, ABC Family and CNN. This package additionally features an array of Video-On-Demand entertainment and the best of online video with unique content from Maker Studios, the global leader in online short-form video.

Bgamer90

Banned

Priced at $20 per month, “The Best of Live TV” core package includes 12 Nielsen-rated sports, lifestyle, family and news networks: ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, ABC Family and CNN. This package additionally features an array of Video-On-Demand entertainment and the best of online video with unique content from Maker Studios, the global leader in online short-form video.

Okay. That's what I thought.

FinKL

Sounds good for $20, now just need a release date.

expletive

I'd have preferred a SlingBox app for Xbox One to stream live TV from my cable box downstairs first, this service seems overpriced.

Elandyll

Banned
$20 a month for just 12 channels ($5 more for a few more kid friendly ones), will wait to see the PS Vue (initially 75 channels) offer to decalre it interesting or not.

The Sling TV lineup looks ok and actually covers a decent range (very suprised to see Disney in there), but it lacks a TON of important channels with AMC and FX among others (USA and Syfy are some other big ones for me).

The more damning is that with the current HDMI-in solution (Xbox "vision"? Please), to have your local TV you are looking at a bit of a monster setup for cable cutters (a Sling TV exec said that for local TV "you have solutions like Roku that include that"), whereas something like Vue is "supposed" to incude that in the lineup, with a transparent use therefore for the DVR / guide functions.

Wonder if this announce will accelerate the PS Vue commercial availability?

Bgamer90

Banned
Tip:

Sling TV works with Xbox One's suspend and resume. So if you begin watching a show and you don't have time to watch all of it, you can go out of the app and/or turn the system off and Sling TV will continue on playing the rest of the show whenever you go back to the app.

It's how I watch Conan (TBS) after watching Fallon (since both shows come on at the same time). Don't know if it was intended to be an actual feature (or if it's just due to how the Xbox One handles some media apps) but it's pretty useful either way.

Tip:

Sling TV works with Xbox One's suspend and resume. So if you begin watching a show and you don't have time to watch all of it, you can go out of the app and/or turn the system off and Sling TV will continue on playing the rest of the show whenever you go back to the app.

It's how I watch Conan (TBS) after watching Fallon (since both shows come on at the same time). Don't know if it was intended to be an actual feature (or if it's just due to how the Xbox One handles some media apps) but it's pretty useful either way.
Oh man this sounds cool. Really want to try it but I'm waiting for Fox, Abc, and CW channels

Bgamer90

Banned
Which ESPN is it?
I only care about SEC games, are they on that ESPN?

The base package has ESPN and ESPN2.

What you would want is the sports package for an extra $5 (totaling to $25/month) which adds the SEC network (and ESPNews, ESPNU, and a few more sports channels).

The base package has ESPN and ESPN2.

What you would want is the sports package for an extra $5 (totaling to $25/month) which adds the SEC network (and ESPNews, ESPNU, and a few more sports channels).

Thanks so much!
Will try later if this App works without a VPN. Right now I'm using a VPN + DirectTV credentials of a US friend, but I still don't get all the razorback games with that.

Maybe you can tell me if I can watch all razorback games on SEC Network (even if Bama or Florida are playing at the same time)?

Ape

Banned
this app is so fucking terrible, seemingly every time a show ends it wants to restart the same episode for god knows why. you need to force close it constantly or the app will stop streaming in the middle of whatever you're watching. total shit app.

Mcdohl

this app is so fucking terrible, seemingly every time a show ends it wants to restart the same episode for god knows why. you need to force close it constantly or the app will stop streaming in the middle of whatever you're watching. total shit app.

Agreed. Needs way more QA.

That's why I wouldn't pay for it. But I can't complain about the free trial that translates to free (and legal) Game of Thrones. That's all I use it for.

Top Bottom