• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper 2 -- IGN's review!

Spike

10.0 Presentation

The slideshow presentations that Bentley uses to explain the heists pretty much say it all. The binoc-u-com is easy to use as well.

9.5 Graphics

Character animations that are pitch-perfect and an overall style that lives and breathes stylish cool.

10.0 Sound

Voice acting so good you begin to truly care about the characters personally. Slick background music as well.

9.0 Gameplay

A huge variety of gameplay packed into one game that provides several things for everyone. Only the lack of extra goals is disappointing.

9.0 Lasting Appeal

The eight different missions are all compelling arguments for playing more, but there's little reason to go back and keep exploring.

9.2 OVERALL

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/544/544437p1.html

Travado

GOTY!
biggrin.gif

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gah, why couldn't they call it Sly Cooper 2? Putting in Sly Cooper on ebgames.com doesn't even show the sequel on the results page

Wario64 said:
Holy crap, is this coming out soon??

shizzle. wow. just wow. I can't wait. They didn't talk about length? THe last one didn't last me a week

9.0 Lasting Appeal

The eight different missions are all compelling arguments for playing more, but there's little reason to go back and keep exploring.

wtf is with IGN, if that's the case; I would score it way lower. Maybe 6-7. They gave it a 9.
IGN can be stupid. URGH

skip

I gave it to my freelancer a few weeks ago, and I think he's still playing it. supposed to be quite long.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Quite expected. The first game ozzed quite a bit of quality and they put tons more effort into the second one.

wtf is with IGN, if that's the case; I would score it way lower. Maybe 6-7. They gave it a 9.
IGN can be stupid. URGH
Perhpas the game is simply long enough to warrant that score in it's genre. The category name is 'Lasting Appeal', not just 'replayability'.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Holy crap, I'm a bit surprised. I expected something in the 8.5 range...damn.

Mr_Furious said:
All you bitches that passed on the 1st one better not pass up this game or else!

I'll wait for more reviews, specially since this one comes from IGN. The first one also got good scores and I thought it was a steaming turd.

Ranger X

They didn't tell if there's more normal levels than mini-game levels this time around... so i'll still rent before buying!

Whoa, great score. I had no idea it was coming out so soon. I was expecting it around October. I still need to finish the 1st one though. I love it, but I haven't had the time.

"I love it, but I haven't had the time."

You must be really busy, because you can beat the original Sly Cooper in 7 hours! With like 85% and not all time trials, but still. I beat it in 2 days and took it back to blockbuster a day early! I may buy this one if other sources confirm it is much longer.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
"I love it, but I haven't had the time."

You must be really busy, because you can beat the original Sly Cooper in 7 hours! With like 85% and not all time trials, but still. I beat it in 2 days and took it back to blockbuster a day early! I may buy this one if other sources confirm it is much longer.

More like a huge backlog of games on GC and PS2. :p I'm more than halfway through, but I haven't got back to it.

Deku Tree

I never finished the first one b/c I lost interest after a while.
I didn't understand why alot of platformer fans thought it was top quality.
I couldn't really get into it and I usually love good platformers.

But I'll probably get Sly 2 eventually.

Ranger X

What didn't like with Sly the first is that the first world is like 4 normal level, 1 mini-game level and 1 boss. After that the it goes 3 norm level, 2 mini-game, 1 boss. After that it's 2 normal level, 3 mini-game level, 1 boss. The fuck? I don't have the exact numbers but damn, the farther you go in the game the less there is normal levels!!!!
Does someone knows if Sly2 is the same shitty pattern? Please tell me because this was what made Sly1 suck hard imo.

Socreges

Banned
Sly Cooper 2 got the same Lasting Appeal score as Phantom Brave. Huh.

Anyway, sounds like a buy, but a definite double-rent.

Alucard

Banned
The first game rocked. I finished all of the trials and everything within a week though. Still, for the right price I can't really complain. Plus, it's just so much fun to play that the length doesn't bother me.

Looking forward to checking out the sequel.

Ranger X

I checked some stuff about the game today and finally checked the IGN video review and i must say it looks like it rocks!
The game as been Jak2ised (in the mean it's becoming more adventure) so my mini-game problem will probably be solved i guess.
And i want to play with that Turtle dude, it's cool ;)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Socreges said:
Sly Cooper 2 got the same Lasting Appeal score as Phantom Brave. Huh.

Anyway, sounds like a buy, but a definite double-rent.

Aren't they comparing the lasting appeal to other games in the same genre?

Socreges

Banned
Kiriku said:
Aren't they comparing the lasting appeal to other games in the same genre?
Of course, but that doesn't make it any less worthy of a "huh". Especially since Phantom Brave is over 100 hours and SC2:
If anything, the only thing that keeps Sly 2 from being even better is that there is a lack of things to do once the game has been completed. It's possible to repeat the adventure, but the lack of time trials and challenges to complete once the game is over leads to a lack of replayability. With over 20 hours of gameplay involved in collecting all of the items in the game, and a hell of a game at that, this is far from a dealbreaker, but it's still a slight disappointment.
"The Lasting Appeal is a slight disappointment... 9 out of 10!"

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Socreges said:
Of course, but that doesn't make it any less worthy of a "huh". Especially since Phantom Brave is over 100 hours and SC2:

"The Lasting Appeal is a slight disappointment... 9 out of 10!"

Yeah, based on what they said in the review, I agree about the game scoring to high on Lasting Appeal.

I like sly, ratchet and jak as much as the next guy, but to be fair, they are the best almost by default. There's not many platformers on the other systems. *hopes you really meant to replace one of those 3 with Klonoa 2*

I like sly, ratchet and jak as much as the next guy, but to be fair, they are the best almost by default. There's not many platformers on the other systems. *hopes you really meant to replace one of those 3 with Klonoa 2*

It's not winning by default, it's just plain ol' kicking ass. The others have their platformers. There has been a deluge of multi platform platformers too, too many to mention(some of them are kind of under appreciated too). Jak, R and C, and Sly have unique niches and are technically superior to most others.

Socreges

Banned
If only it weren't for SMS. Though unusually contentious opinions surround the game.

Top Bottom