• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. 3DS Japanese Packaging POSSIBLY Indicates Snake is cut from the game

Effect

Why are so many people glad that Snake is not in the game? More characters are always welcome in these typea of games.
I say this as a Fighting Games enthusiast who actually plays USF4, UMvC3 and KoF XIII somewhat competitively in my local FGC.

He's barely been on the Nintendo systems. 2 NES games. A remake on GameCube, in 2004, of a game that was already released in 1998. The same thing was repeated with Metal Gear Solid 3, that was actually undercut by announcing collections that included the game. Snake shouldn't have been in Brawl in the first place. He shouldn't be in the new game either.

Fandangox

I love how the selfish cries are flying about yet no one's blinking an eye to the other characters we lost in the past and now:

Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, Mewtwo, Roy...

But no, Snake is such a special snowflake. I'd take all of those characters over him. He's low priority.

Except for Pichu, I have heard lots of people wanting Mewtwo and Roy back, like, where have you been?

Pociask

Snake? Snaake? Snaaaaaake?

GG. Disappointed it took so many posts to get to this. Also, put me in the Snake didn't and doesn't belong camp. You don't put your games on Nintendo consoles, don't expect your character to show up in Nintendo's premier party-fighter.

Tripon

He's barely been on the Nintendo systems. 2 NES games. A remake on GameCube, in 2004, of a game that was already released in 1998. The same thing was repeated with Metal Gear Solid 3, that was actually undercut by announcing collections that included the game. Snake shouldn't have been in Brawl in the first place. He shouldn't be in the new game either.

HELLO. YOU MISSED ONLY THE BEST GAME IN THE SERIES. GHOST BABEL.

8Wad2dB.jpg

The fact Konami didn't bother to port Fox Engine to Wii U when they have those games on the PS3/360 tells you all you need to know.

Dremark

Banned
It's because he's obviously being replaced by Raiden.

CG Smash Bros trailer with Mario, Link, etc. fighting Snake suddenly drops in "Kept you waiting, huh?" suddenly Raiden slashes the screen "RAIDEN CUTS IN."

Would only really work if the advertised Snake being in the game and just replaced him with Raiden after letting you use him for an hour or so.

I've been trying to warn you cranberry shortcuts that Snake is getting replaced by Haruka.

37fPu1L.jpg

I'd take her over most of the new characters.

Banned
He was an awful character with boring move sets that didn't blend with the game at all. The guy made his game on playstation consoles anyway so seeing him in a Nintendo mascot fighter felt weird.

Jawmuncher

His inclusion in brawl in my book is more than enough reason to keep him in smash. I don't understand why his history part always gets brought up as a valid reason for him to not be in/not return. Obviously sakurai already figured it was fine when he first put him in the game.

Any character who doesn't return is a loss just like it has been said even if you don't like them. I sure don't play as I've climbers but something would definitely be missing if they weren't back for example .

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Wait does creatures inc control Pokemon? Just what the hell is the joint relationship between Nintendo, Creatures, ThePokemon Company and GameFreak?
Nintendo, Creatures, and Game Freak jointly own the Pokemon IP. IIRC, Game Freak almost went bankrupt during development of Pokemon Red/Green. Creatures provided funding, and got partial rights to the IP in exchange.

I love how the selfish cries are flying about yet no one's blinking an eye to the other characters we lost in the past and now:

Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, Mewtwo, Roy...

But no, Snake is such a special snowflake. I'd take all of those characters over him. He's low priority.

You would take picku, ivysaur, squirtle, or roy, over solid fucking snake?

I can't.

OmegaFax

Snake never really fit in, and he's barely been on Nintendo platforms.

On the same merit, Sonic wouldn't fit either. Can't remember a Sega game on Nintendo's system prior to the GameCube or GBA.

That's why they're guest characters. Metal Gear existed on the NES, GBC, GCN, and 3DS.

Also, Ubisoft isn't on the copyright either on the alleged packaging. Rayman is in the game as a trophy. Treasure has a Sin and Punishment Assist Trophy.

Frolow

Banned
Man, why are people acting happy about Snake being cut? Actively cheering for any character to get removed is dumb.

TomShoe

Banned
Why are so many people glad that Snake is not in the game? More characters are always welcome in these typea of games.
I say this as a Fighting Games enthusiast who actually plays USF4, UMvC3 and KoF XIII somewhat competitively in my local FGC.

Because people feel that some characters are more worthy of a spot than others. Some people wouldn't mind a less popular character (Snake, Jigglypuff) if it meant someone highly requested got in (Mewtwo, Mega Man). Space isn't the issue though, Sakurai said that the roster is set in stone. The only other restriction is time.

Because people feel that some characters are more worthy of a spot than others. Some people wouldn't mind a less popular character (Snake, Jigglypuff) if it meant someone highly requested got in (Mewtwo, Mega Man). Space isn't the issue though, Sakurai said that the roster is set in stone. The only other restriction is time.

Jiggly is super popular.

Fandangox

His inclusion in brawl in my book is more than enough reason to keep him in smash. I don't understand why his history part always gets brought up as a valid reason for him to not be in/not return. Obviously sakurai already figured it was fine when he first put him in the game.

Any character who doesn't return is a loss just like it has been said even if you don't like them. I sure don't play as I've climbers but something would definitely be missing if they weren't back for example .

Yeah this is exactly what I am saying. Him being in Brawl is all the "relevance" he needs.

I owe it to Brawl for getting me into MGS so this really bums me out. He was one of the best designed characters. Aside from the tilts, that is.

Disappointing.

Fandangox

I wonder why they didn't put more songs in Smash 3DS if the game is only 2.1GB :/

My guess would be that Nintendo still didn't want a huge download size to give people an incentive to download it.

Then again, I think Nintendo does give Sakurai and the team "free reign" to include as much content as they deem fit. So, don't know really.

I'd like to see him return as Old Snake with octo camo that's constantly blending in with the bg and making him nearly disappear. A character like that wouldn't work in a normal 1 on 1 fighting game since the opponent is always aware of where you are, but in smash he could really wreak havoc sneaking up on people when their attention is diverted to the others.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
smh at the people happy for Snake being cut. The Metal Gear franchise only has, what, 5 main games until now? Out of which you can play the best 2 on Nintendo systems. Saying he "doesn't fit" is ridiculous since it just pins Nintendo consoles as being unable to have any dark or realistic games at all. What I see here is just us losing a really creative moveset if it happens because Sakurai and Konami couldn't work something out this time.

Frolow

Banned
IMO if the developers of said game aren't supporting Nintendo consoles why should their character be given a spot in Smash?

They were supporting Nintendo consoles on about the same level as when Brawl launched. Don't see why it would make a difference now.

Stoze

You're right, he was barely in any Nintendo games and that's why he was a cool reveal; because he doesn't belong. They make this obvious in the reveal trailer and his codec conversations that he's an outlier cameo. Even his weird ass yet strong move set reflects this. Who or what is losing integrity for Snake being in? Nintendo? That's silly. People need to stop taking that kind of shit so seriously, it's an especially laughable perspective to have on the Smash games out of anything.

Personally I didn't play as him so it doesn't affect me much, but throwing away a unique moveset that players like is always a concern.

Dr. Buni

My guess would be that Nintendo still didn't want a huge download size to give people an incentive to download it.

Then again, I think Nintendo does give Sakurai and the team "free reign" to include as much content as they deem fit. So, don't know really.
That sounds very like Nintendo. Though 3GB at least wouldn't be a huge download size and we could have at least three or four music pieces for each stage...

Swordy

I owe it to Brawl for getting me into MGS so this really bums me out. He was one of the best designed characters. Aside from the tilts, that is.

Disappointing.

Pretty much the same for me...Really weird to see all those people being glad that he (probably) isn't in.

smh at the people happy for Snake being cut. The Metal Gear franchise only has, what, 5 main games until now? Out of which you can play the best 2 on Nintendo systems. Saying he "doesn't fit" is ridiculous since it just pins Nintendo consoles as being unable to have any dark or realistic games at all. What I see here is just us losing a really creative moveset if it happens because Sakurai and Konami couldn't work something out this time.

You know Metal Gear didn't start with Solid, right?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Snake never really fit in, and he's barely been on Nintendo platforms.

Oh wow.

Disappointing if true. Messed up that people are happy about it too. "Blehhhh Snke didn't fit in" cool so don't use him. Characters getting cut is never a good thing.
Man, why are people acting happy about Snake being cut? Actively cheering for any character to get removed is dumb.

Yeah, rooting for characters to get cut are pretty dumb in general for any fighting games. It's pretty sad that people rather to be selfish and like to see other people in misery that their favorite characters got cut.

I haven't really play and complete MGS franchise itself but I really like Snake's archetype where he can be trap master to control the stage. I can imagine some people were salty how powerful he was in Brawl and actively want to see him cut out, again there is other group which is Nintendo Purist. AT least, Nintendo Purists lost their war this time.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Why do you think Snake getting cut is good?

I dont think he fits the Smash Bros. roster now that MGS is getting more serious with every new game, yeah the story revolves around Big Boss nowadays but i feel that their are other characters that would fit the Smash "Universe" better. I mean it`s just an opinion, many criticized Playstation Allstars for dumping many different characters/styles into one game.

A Belmont or Hershel Layton though.... :)

Jawmuncher

IMO if the developers of said game aren't supporting Nintendo consoles why should their character be given a spot in Smash?

Advertising works in mysterious ways.
If not for snakes inclusion I would have never bought a Wii when I did at the smash launch. Nor would I have gotten into Nintendo games and already have a WiiU.

The Lamp

How many games has Lucas or Ice Climbers been in? Smh

The Adder

Banned
Bummer. After just getting into the Metal Gear series not too long ago, I wanted to see the sneaking man return.

And this is why he was probably cut, folks. Why would Nintendo want to push a game intentionally ignoring their systems, save an occasional 6+ year old port.

The Lamp

Peach is on the Wii U version box art, tho

Lucas and Ice Climbers are Nintendo characters :p

But his argument seems based on how many Nintendo games/platforms that character has been in, which is objectively horse shit and irrelevant considering Snake was already deemed worthy of Smash by Sakurai and Kojima in Brawl.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
You know Metal Gear didn't start with Solid, right?
NES also had the OG Metal Gear, and the MSX wasn't released on NA so I don't see a problem with then not releasing Metal Gear 2 on the NES. Also ignoring that without the bad American Metal Gear 2, Kojima wouldn't had made a sequel, so the NES is indirectly responsable for the whole existence of the franchise.

The Lamp

It does, though. And we still have plenty of characters in the game without Snake :3

No it doesn't. When Brawl came out, it had been a longer time since Snake was last on a Nintendo platform than when SSB4 will release (because Snake was last on MGS3D for Nintendo 3DS).

And where the fuck has Megaman been lately?

Top Bottom