• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

dyls said:
So how is that Kid Icarus localization going, anyway?
[fake Nate response]
Bill's yelling at me for not shooting the arrows right, lol.
[/fake Nate response]

Nate was the guy demonstrating Zelda at E3 2006

Well, only a 1000 more posts to slog through. I imagine this would be easier if it actually covered more than one day, as awesome as the day was.

So Nate lurked in this thread? Well buddy, I gotta bone to pick with you over your little "items" pic. *shakes fist*

j/k :D

Great job on the translations dude.

Jiggy: And to think, I was just about to switch to a Kenshiro avatar. I guess I can stick with Nagato for a little while longer.

scottnak

MisterHero said:
ZSSamus's Final Smash is probably my favorite Final Smash Trophy. :)
That does look pretty damn awesome.
I remember getting the first Final-Smash trophy without knowing that it'd be coming. So awesome. Kirby's boiling pot. With Mario in it. Hehe.

Jiggy

Jigglypuff's final smash trophy is probably my favorite, but that angle misses the best part of it. >_>
Where Pokemon Trainer is right behind her and has his arms up in defense because he's gonna get crushed. :D

Iam Canadian said:
No, I'll just use the Insane Cultist avatar for both sections. Consistency for the win. :p
No. 2D for the win.

2DFTW.gif

On a serious note, I may legitimately end up doing more sections just because I want to get all my avatars in. D: Haruhi and Ayu get top priority, then Colette, but Jigglypuff, Rena, and 2D need love too.
I'm going to happily pretend I never, ever had an avatar of Ike's broken self in my rotation.

Keru_Shiri said:
Jiggy: And to think, I was just about to switch to a Kenshiro avatar. I guess I can stick with Nagato for a little while longer.
Well, even if you were going to switch, I think the thread remembers you most for the Yuki avatar right now, so I would still probably use that for you. :D

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I like most of the Final Smash trophies. They're better than the "Smash" trophies in Melee, at any rate.

Jiggy37 said:
No. 2D for the win.

2DFTW.gif

Okay, that's really awesome. And I concur 100%. 2D is indeed for the win. :D

Jiggy

-Game modes hit 46 updates and will undoubtedly end up being the most common update type seen throughout the life of the Dojo. It's like a feast of joy that never ends, and stuff. :eek:

-Zero Suit Samus showed up and passed Lucas, hitting 66 screenshots. Sheik and Ganondorf held hands and moved from 25 to 26, passing Marth. Jigglypuff broke a tie with Falco and Mr. Game & Watch and advanced to 18. Bowser once again ties Zelda at 63. Charizard breaks away from Lucario and moves up two shots to 29. Finally, Pikachu and the full Pokemon Trainer combo take up epic battle stances and advance to 87, meeting with Diddy Kong.

-Will we ever see another music update? What about game modes? Is there an update yet to come on the mysterious final boss of Subspace Emissary? Are there any new Techniques updates? Will we ever see R.O.B.'s final smash? Could there be, against all odds, a final megaton remaining? Something nobody has discovered? Can we hit 3,500,000 thread views? Will the community pull together for the great Smash Bros. Dojo Thread Quote Hunt as the ten-day clock counts down, or will we forever be able to say that in the end we only searched through 80% of the posts? Do any more Nintendo employees read NeoGAF? Would they even post if they did? Stay tuned to find out the answers to all these questions and more, right here in the Dojo thread! :eek:

Nintaiyo

Great of you to post here, Nate. Thanks for all of your hard work; it's been one heck of a ride. It's sad to see the Dojo updates go, but at least I'll be able to get back on a normal sleep schedule.

Nate (Mr. Bihldorff I presume?), thanks for all you have done on the Dojo and past Nintendo games. It's no surprise to see that you've been following this thread. Additionally, you have gorgeous blue eyes good sir (at least that I can remember from a Nintendo Power interview for Paper Mario: TTYD).

So where's that translated Mother 3 that I know you guys have sitting somewhere in Treehouse HQ? You know, the same one that you're all enjoying and having a good laugh at the fans with while they shed tears of pain.

CTLance

Nate, thank you for your hard work.

For the sake of the Neogaf hivemind I'm gonna bring up Mother, too. I doubt you can do something about it, but hey, if showing interest brought you here, showing continued interest in the mother series may perhaps show a similar effect, somewhere down the road.

Maaan, only roughly 7 more updates? Time flies when you're having fun I guess. :D

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jiggy, I'll go ahead and take a section if you still need help! :)

I wanted to offer before when you were first handing them out, but I was a bit busier a few weeks ago whereas now I should have some time to pull it together. I'd love to lend a hand because it's the least I can do after all your hard work in my very favorite thread :O *salutes*

Jiggy

The Great and Over 70% Done Smash Bros. Dojo Thread Quote Hunt

Posts 1-2,500: scottnak
Posts 2,501-5,000: Jiggy37
Posts 5,001-7,500: bombcar
Posts 7,501-10,000: scottnak

Posts 10,001-12,500: Danthrax
Posts 12,501-15,000: scottnak
Posts 15,001-17,500: Syth_Blade22 (40% done)
Posts 17,501-20,000: Iam Canadian
Posts 20,001-22,500: Man God
Posts 22,501-25,000: RoboPlato
Posts 25,001-27,500: Keru_Shiri
Posts 27,501-30,000: crowphoenix

Posts 30,001-32,500: MrCheez
Posts 32,501-35,000: NickP786 (partly done)
Posts 35,001-37,500: Fenix
Posts 37,501-40,000: Iam Canadian
Posts 40,001-42,500: Guled
Posts 42,501-45,000: dude
Posts 45,001-47,500: Man God
Posts 47,501-50,000: Jiggy37
Posts 50,001-52,500: Keru_Shiri
Posts 52,501-55,000: Firestorm
Posts 55,001-57,500: Jiggy37
Posts 57,501-60,000: Jiggy37

Posts 60,001+: Jiggy37 (covered through 62,431)

Another section complete (47,501-50,000). Replaced Cerebral Assassin with MrCheez for 30,001-32,500, since I don't think I ever heard back from him. By the way, guys, even if you don't finish your sections, at least send me what you've got before April 14th so we can get this thing done somewhat properly. >_>
I might take posts 10,001-12,500 too; we'll see how the weekend goes. Edit: For the record, you guys may or may not want me to take even more sections. I really quote a lot of stuff. :p (At least relative to everybody other than scottnak, who alone quotes a truly insane number of posts.)

Firestorm

Code_Link said:
Woah, Nate was here -- that's awesome.

So what's the screenshot that angered Smashboards? I really have no idea.

Do people really not remember? :lol Although I think he's sorta kidding about "angered". Then again, there are lots of people on SmashBoards with irrational crazy anger so who knows. It was the one about Online Mode where Nate's message said "Real men play with items"

I'm guessing he couldn't fit the "wo" in front of "men"?

Iam Canadian

Am I on the lower end of the post-quoting scale? I want to quote an appropriate amount, but I don't want to quote too much extraneous stuff or miss out on good posts because I'm too picky about which posts I should include.

Also, regarding the "real men use items" thing...up until the game came out, I actually would have agreed. I was an items supporter in the original and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Melee. But the items are just way too imbalanced in Brawl for me to want to use them. Stuff like the Dragoon and some Assist Trophies (Lyn, I'm looking at you) are virtually free KOs and that's not even mentioning some other overpowered items like the Bumper. I'm actually very fond of some of the individual items, like the soccer ball, but there are too many overpowered items for me to use them much this time.

Jiggy

Even I have to admit, if you just want to kick around for fun without caring who wins, giving everybody an even chance, items are a much more entertaining option than handicaps.

Iam Canadian said:
Am I on the lower end of the post-quoting scale? I want to quote an appropriate amount, but I don't want to quote too much extraneous stuff or miss out on good posts because I'm too picky about which posts I should include.
Without actually verifying this, I believe you've got more than Firestorm, more than Keru_Shiri, much (very much) less than scottnak, less than me, slightly more than dude, slightly more than Fenix, and more than bombcar.

Edit: In terms of just counting people for one person each, you have more posts than most people. But in terms of the average number, scottnak took three sections and drove the average really high, and I've also taken five sections and driven that number up. So you'd still be on the low end in that situation.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jiggy before I start my section, what kind of format are you looking for? Just going through, saving the notable posts and the names of the users who posted them, and sending them to you? Or is there some sort of method of organization/sorting you'd like us to put everything in?

Also what is the preferred method of receiving them, PM or email?

Jiggy37 said:
Even I have to admit, if you just want to kick around for fun without caring who wins, giving everybody an even chance, items are a much more entertaining option than handicaps.

Without actually verifying this, I believe you've got more than Firestorm, more than Keru_Shiri, much (very much) less than scottnak, less than me, slightly more than dude, slightly more than Fenix, and more than bombcar.

Edit: In terms of just counting people for one person each, you have more posts than most people. But in terms of the average number, scottnak took three sections and drove the average really high, and I've also taken five sections and driven that number up. So you'd still be on the low end in that situation.

For your info, Jigs, I'm trying to give every regular at least one linked quote, except for The Haunted One, who due to special circumstances gets quoted into the file.

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
Jiggy before I start my section, what kind of format are you looking for? Just going through, saving the notable posts and the names of the users who posted them, and sending them to you? Or is there some sort of method of organization/sorting you'd like us to put everything in?

Also what is the preferred method of receiving them, PM or email?
I think right now we're just aiming to grab the links and quote the posts. It's going to make this quote compilation really enormous to scroll through, but it's either that or make people click on about a thousand links to relive the thread, which is even more obnoxious. >_> I'll be including the links in mine too in case people want to check the real post (and because some things I'm linking to aren't one quote, but like a whole page of people exploding over megaton news), but I guess I'm just saying that shouldn't be the only way people can see the quotes.

And PM. I have like four email addresses, so stuff gets lost among them all the time. <_<

Masked Man

I said wow
nutron said:
Hey there. This is Nate from the Treehouse at NOA. You may remember me from such classics as That One Demo In San Francisco and The Screenshot That Angered Smashboards.

Anyway, it’s general policy that we don’t post on message boards, but with the end drawing near for the Dojo, I got some special dispensation. I was going to post this several places, but since all roads lead to GAF anyway—and since this thread is of such legendary size—I decided this might as well be the only spot.

Anyway, as some of you know, we’ve been working on Brawl with Sakurai-san and his team for several years now, and the Dojo itself for almost a year. Needless to say it’s been a ton of work, though nothing compared to what Sora pulled off, obviously. That said, it’s been a labor of love, and its coming end seems sort of sad. I can’t tell you how many nights I stayed up until Japan Time, knowing what morsel of delectable information was about to be served up and relishing every bit of anticipation from you guys. It really made all the work worthwhile, and I wanted to thank you die-hards that have been around for it all.

I also figured this would be a good spot to ask a favor. Now, I don’t know how many of you guys download daily stages and snapshots from the Smash Service, but for those that do… Look, sorting through 10,000 submissions every week is fun and all, but it breaks my heart to have to ditch some amazing stage because it had an extra-raunchy title. There’s some incredible creativity on display that I’d love to share with the rest of the Smash community, but a little restraint in the naming conventions will go a long way. Yes, we all know it’s hilarious when Diddy Kong goes to town on somebody’s face—I feel that the snapshot medium is also ready for some fresh ideas. Spread the word if you can.

So… Yeah. Have fun with the last seven or so updates. And when the gray day of reckoning comes and Sporsk approaches, pillow in hand, to gently smother this thread at last, do not weep! Smile, because Smash endures, and it is good.

Thanks again, guys.

2lb2f83.gif

Nate, I have nothing but total respect for you. I especially loved the work you did on the Mario & Luigi series--great stuff! Show a little more MOTHER 3 love around the Treehouse: I might be there someday. ;)

I actually called and left a message once. Hope I didn't bother you! I'm just passionate about Nintendo, and I'm interested in localization, so it seemed like the natural thing to do.

Iam Canadian

In all honesty, I wasn't even really paying attention to how many times each person got quoted in my section. >_>

Though I do believe that Jiggy got quite a few quoted posts in my section. Which makes sense. After all, he's quite possibly the wittiest and most entertaining person in this entire thread, not to even mention how often I personally agree with him. >_<

At any rate, what do you think is left for the last week of updates? I know we've got one more screenshot update coming for us, but what else is there? At this point, I don't really expect extremely mundane updates like crawling, since they don't seem like the kind of updates one ends on. I'm personally expecting one more Subspace update (maybe a complete enemies guide?).

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
In all honesty, I wasn't even really paying attention to how many times each person got quoted in my section. >_>

Though I do believe that Jiggy got quite a few quoted posts in my section. Which makes sense. After all, she's quite possibly the wittiest and most entertaining person in this entire thread
Yeah, I think I quoted her* the most in each of my sections too for the same reason. I'll have to count, though. >_>

*The GAF Smash IRC community took a vote tonight and decided Jiggy had to be a girl

At any rate, what do you think is left for the last week of updates? I know we've got one more screenshot update coming for us, but what else is there? [...] I'm personally expecting one more Subspace update (maybe a complete enemies guide?).
Sounds about right. That and, of course, the final uber megaton. :eek:

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, I think I quoted her* the most in each of my sections too for the same reason. I'll have to count, though. >_>

*The GAF Smash IRC community took a vote tonight and decided Jiggy had to be a girl

Sounds about right. That and, of course, the final uber megaton. :eek:

Let us never speak of that again. I still feel like an unclean jerk, ma'am.

Iam Canadian

Ah, I see, Jiggy. Ma'am. Yes, it all makes sense now! For how else could Jiggy so accurately capture the essence of female writing in his her stats posts?

I've really been missing quite a bit by not being in the GAF IRC chatroom. I shall have to join. >_>

NeonZ

Iam Canadian said:
At any rate, what do you think is left for the last week of updates? I know we've got one more screenshot update coming for us, but what else is there?.

The old Japanese melee site had an update with every congratulations screen, so, maybe, something like that too.

Iam Canadian

Really? Well, that would certainly be a nice update to see. I like quite a few of the Congratulations screens in this game.

Firestorm

I'm still waiting for a wallpaper withall the characters. Hopefully not just using their official artwork poses. Something similar to that Melee one.

Firestorm said:
I'm still waiting for a wallpaper withall the characters. Hopefully not just using their official artwork poses. Something similar to that Melee one.

That would be awesome.

Only 500 posts left to go through, and then back through to clean up this, so far, seven page monstrosity. Man, I'm doing this like I organize a book for a paper. Quote everything that could be useful or at least make reference to it. :lol Oh boy.

Iam Canadian

So is the style of quotes you're favouring now definitely going to be the one you're going to use in the final post, Jiggy? I want to format my second section in the manner that you're actually going to present it in.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
So is the style of quotes you're favouring now definitely going to be the one you're going to use in the final post, Jiggy? I want to format my second section in the manner that you're actually going to present it in.
Yeah, probably, since two other people said they liked it. I'm gonna have to change my own format too, incidentally. >_>

Am I the only one who figures that that was a fake Nate? I mean, come on, people who work at Nintendo don't post on forums, they're like in a league above us. We reduce their creativity just by being around them. They treat us like a pothole in the road.

Firestorm

InvincibleAgent said:
Am I the only one who figures that that was a fake Nate? I mean, come on, people who work at Nintendo don't post on forums, they're like in a league above us. We reduce their creativity just by being around them. They treat us like a pothole in the road.

Welcome to NeoGAF?

He has 1 post, been registered since 2005, and sp0rsk (who I assume can see the email he signed up with and IP) acknowledged him. I'm assuming he signed up with an NOA email and an IP from around Redmond. This isn't really unheard of. Lots of game devs post here. I remember a Treehouse or Nintendo Power staff member posting on SmashBoards too if you want to go the Nintendo angle. It was right after they ran the Smash Bros Melee community article on SmashBoards and tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom