• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. Switch: Ridley confirmed(?) - what are the missing 'big' newcomers?

Ridley is playable in Smash Bro Switch

• Why do you find it so hard to believe?

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Why do you find it so easy?

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters

KevinKeene

Banned
To be clear, this topic isn't about Ridley. However, some online-sources have made that claim - combined with the fact that someone I trust and is an insider, too, I believe it (and if it turns out wrong, I'll make a career as a psychpath ;/). So: Yay! My and many's most wanted addition finally made it!

That leaves one obvious question though: What are the next in line most urgent newcomers, now that the space dragon is out of the way?

It'd be nice if instead of pure lists, you'd add a little text to explain each of your character choices :)

E3 is in about 3 weeks. Let's have fun hyping! Will post my own picks later.

buizel

Banned
I think they should up the roster to include legendary gaming icons, not just Nintendo - since we've got stuff like Sonic, Snake, Bayonetta Pac-Man, Megaman etc.

Rayman. Bomberman. Darth Vadar. Luke Skywalker (yes, not specifically gaming but we've had plenty of SNES games with these guys, also lightsabres exist already). Goku. Crash. Spyro. Sub-Zero/Scorpion (could easily mod these guys to be E10+). Stuff like that.

And I say this as someone whos never seen DBZ, and someone who grew up with Nintendo. Where TF is Bomberman/Rayman?!

Bin all the excess FE characters, and shove in actual variety. Give me Bonk. Give me Bubsy. WHAT COULD POTHSIBLY GO WRONG?

Also in regards to the title, does the Metroid franchise really not have any other recognisable characters? Such an odd choice.

269603def04fa2c65005b063a5fae2d97a419588_hq.gif

Last edited:
Simon Belmont needs to be in it. Castlevania needs some recognition plus whip combos would be so cool.

We need more characters from spooky games too so I'm also thinking Pyramid Head. I'll settle for Luigi with his Mansion gear though.

ARMS character for sure, considering it's nintendos latest IP & a fighter to boot.

I'm personally more into the roster being severely reduced and focusing on gameplay and other modes. I would say around Melee's amount (26) was perfect.

keeps it fresh to have a smaller more nintendo focused roster, with each entry refreshing 75% of the roster and only keeping main characters from pillar franchises as the staples. a few third party characters could be DLC.

DonF

I don't have many character prediction right now, but I think that mario moveset is going to include cappy now.

kunonabi

Yeah Simon Belmont is the last major omission. He'd represent the last major cornerstone of the 8-bit era, CV has always been more of a Nintendo franchise than any other franchise, and the musical legacy alone deserves to be in smash.

Lightt

Neo Member
We have been saying Ridley "confirmed" for years now. I still don't think he's going to make it in and I think there are plenty of other more interesting characters anyway. I feel like it's almost a half joke at this point.

As far as characters go, I just want Isaac from Golden Sun.

Both Golden Sun 1 and 2 sold over a million copies WW on the GBA (an achievement that took Fire Emblem and Xenoblade several installments and higher budgets to reach). You can see the evidence for that on this old Gaf thread here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...dware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.963700/

To add to that, Smash doesn't really have any original playable reps from the GBA generation (that I grew up from). For the west, GBA introduced Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Fire Emblem to us for the first time (and Wario Ware, but I don't see Wario himself as a GBA offspring). GBA, in some ways, was like a portable SNES, having lots of remakes and ports of SNES games like A Link to the Past, Super Mario Bros. 2, 3, and World (based off All Stars), the old school Final Fantasy's, etc, and most of these games are still great today, so the GBA kids also loved Mario and company, but they don't really reflect the history of the Game Boy Advance generation.

Looking at Pokemon from that perspective, they got the Game Boy/Color era covered with Pikachu+, DS era with Lucario, and 3DS with Greninja. Rumor is the Switch Pokemon game will be a remake of Yellow, so... again, it's the Game Boy Advance that's got no show here.

Oh yeah, but there is Roy, from Fire Emblem 6, a game that the West never got. I remember anticipating that one badly after finishing and seeing the prologue in 7 (AKA just Fire Emblem in the west). The Roy game never came though. :(

Anyway, Golden Sun spoke to me the loudest of the GBA originals, and I and most others see Isaac as the face of that series, being the protagonist of the original. Pop culture wise, a popular cartoon series called 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' aired two years after Golden Sun: The Lost Age had released and carried a lot of that spirit Golden Sun had of special people carrying the ability to command elements to their whim.

Since Sakurai once said (http://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/09/megaman-villager-wiifit/ ) that he has to be able to powerfully envision a character "dancing" in his head to able to realize them, I once proposed on Smash Boards that Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender would be a good base to excite the imagination from:

Based on Camelot Software Planning's official Golden Sun artworks, this video is roughly how Isaac (who is an earth adept) would fight when not confined by the GBA's hardware limitations plus a turn-based combat system. Pikachu is a good reference of a character who had an anime to help further define his character outside his original Game Boy game.

Last edited:
I just hope that they get rid of the clones. I can't stand Dark Pit, Dr. Mario and so on.
I prefer Dr. Mario to regular Mario because he does more damage but that could still be a thing as a costume variant rather than his own character. I just don't want him gone completely. If that's the case then why have Luigi or Ganondorf?

KevinKeene

Banned
Dream picks:

Krystal
Rex

I've been wanting Krystal in Smash forever. She'd introduce an entirely new fighting-style (staff based), add to visual diversity, and she's really an important character in the Starfox-team. Peppy is retired, nobody would believe Slippy to be a fighter, and Rob ... kinda there already ;i. Also I simply find her attractive, but saying that apparently makes some people insecure :p

Rex is a no-brainer imo. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a great success. The fans love Pyra and the other blades. And he'd also introduce a new fighting-style. Would probably make him my main. And the attached stage would be bound to be beautiful!

Popular picks:

Dixie Kong (her and K. Rool would complete the DK-franchise)
Elma (fantastic cool character. More recognition for XBX. And she's a black woman. Come on! )
Toad (he deserves to be more than Peach's punching bag)
King K. Rool
Black Falcon would be clone-y I guess, but I want every franchise to have a 'villain')
Ganon (his monster-appearance. Based on OoT pls)

3rd party picks:

Bomberman
Rayman
Sora

Bomberman needs to be there, simply to complete the classic fighters lineup (Megaman, Sonic, Pacman, Mr Game and Watch). Rayman had a trophy in Smash 4 already, right? There have been Rayman-games on Nintendojsystems and he's one of the few charismatic western characters. Sora depends: fucking announce KH3 for Switch and hurry to release the old games' compilation! Then Sora would be okay in Smash and Gamefaqs would never again need another Link vs Sora-vote.

Despite all that, I gotta say: if Ridley really is finally playable, I'll be immensely satisfied :)

I just hope that they get rid of the clones. I can't stand Dark Pit, Dr. Mario and so on.

I want 1000 clones. Every FE-sword fighter should be there. Less effort for Sakurai, but satisfies fans of those characters.

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

I prefer Dr. Mario to regular Mario because he does more damage but that could still be a thing as a costume variant rather than his own character. I just don't want him gone completely. If that's the case then why have Luigi or Ganondorf?

I would rather be just a costume. If they want to have a different Mario, put Paper Mario, the move set would be totally different. Luigi is okay for me like, Ryu / Ken / Akuma / Dan /Sakura on Street Fighter that have a similar move set. And Ganondorf be a clone is something that pisses me off.

But as KevinKeene, mentioned, we have the Fire Emblems characters that, have a lot in common too. Clones in Samsh is a very sensible topic. The only way to solve this is adding characters from different games.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
1. Ness needs to go. I don’t care what his legacy is. We haven’t had an earthbound/Mother game in over a decade and over two decades in the states. He’s boring. His move set will never evolve. I don’t even want him as DLC. Time put into his character is time taken away from another new character. I don’t mind another character from that series in it, just not Ness. While you’re at it, let Sheik and Zero Suit go for good as well.

2. Let’s limit the number of total fire emblem characters to 3 and the number of Pokémon to 4, okay? Thanks!

3. More villains. There needs to be a “villains smash” where they can take the spotlight for a minute. Who else would want to see the Broodals, Ganon, Girahim, Mouser, Ridley, that Splatoon DJ, BOTW Lynel, or how about the baddies from The last story of any from the xenoblade series?

4. Please change base Link, Mario, Ganondorf, Zelda, and Luigi. There have been games with them in it that have come out since the GameCube you know.

5. Simon Belmont does need to make an appearance. And I’m glad I’m hearing him and not the other totally-out-of-place Konami character that people are always whining about.

Smokeeye123

Neo Member
I posted this in the other thread but this is what I think.

Newcomers: Captain Toad, Paper Mario, Splatoon Kids, Ribbon Girl, King K Rool, New Pokemon rep, New Xenoblade rep, Ice Climbers, ExciteBiker for Nintendo reps.

New third party: Rayman (rabbids/ubisoft connection), Sora (KH3 release/timing), Scorpion

Cut characters: Dr. Mario/Dark Pit (Costumes), Bayonetta, Cloud, Robin, Corrin

Vbrasa

They are missing so many new characters that can totally expand the roster.

I wanna see Baby Mario, Gold Mario, Metal Mario, Tanooki Mario, Rose Gold Peach, Baby Peach, Birdo, Lakitu, Blooper, Dry Bones, Dry Bones Bowser, Cat Bowser, all of Nintendo's major first party characters that are staples to many franchises.

Real Answer: Give me as many third party Nintendo console characters as you can fit. I wanna see Simon Belmont, I wanna see Lloyd Irving, just a few characters like that would be neat.

Vawn

Banned
Simon Belmont needs to be in it. Castlevania needs some recognition plus whip combos would be so cool.

We need more characters from spooky games too so I'm also thinking Pyramid Head. I'll settle for Luigi with his Mansion gear though.

Konami said no, but said they could add a Pachinko machine.

I'll vote for Nathan Drake and Master Chief.

Last edited:

Nazarias

Neo Member
As far as characters go, I just want Isaac from Golden Sun.

Both Golden Sun 1 and 2 sold over a million copies WW on the GBA (an achievement that took Fire Emblem and Xenoblade several installments and higher budgets to reach). You can see the evidence for that on this old Gaf thread here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...dware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.963700/

To add to that, Smash doesn't really have any original playable reps from the GBA generation (that I grew up from). For the west, GBA introduced Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Fire Emblem to us for the first time (and Wario Ware, but I don't see Wario himself as a GBA offspring). GBA, in some ways, was like a portable SNES, having lots of remakes and ports of SNES games like A Link to the Past, Super Mario Bros. 2, 3, and World (based off All Stars), the old school Final Fantasy's, etc, and most of these games are still great today, so the GBA kids also loved Mario and company, but they don't really reflect the history of the Game Boy Advance generation.

Looking at Pokemon from that perspective, they got the Game Boy/Color era covered with Pikachu+, DS era with Lucario, and 3DS with Greninja. Rumor is the Switch Pokemon game will be a remake of Yellow, so... again, it's the Game Boy Advance that's got no show here.

Oh yeah, but there is Roy, from Fire Emblem 6, a game that the West never got. I remember anticipating that one badly after finishing and seeing the prologue in 7 (AKA just Fire Emblem in the west). The Roy game never came though. :(

Anyway, Golden Sun spoke to me the loudest of the GBA originals, and I and most others see Isaac as the face of that series, being the protagonist of the original. Pop culture wise, a popular cartoon series called 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' aired two years after Golden Sun: The Lost Age had released and carried a lot of that spirit Golden Sun had of special people carrying the ability to command elements to their whim.

Since Sakurai once said (http://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/09/megaman-villager-wiifit/ ) that he has to be able to powerfully envision a character "dancing" in his head to able to realize them, I once proposed on Smash Boards that Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender would be a good base to excite the imagination from:

Based on Camelot Software Planning's official Golden Sun artworks, this video is roughly how Isaac (who is an earth adept) would fight when not confined by the GBA's hardware limitations plus a turn-based combat system. Pikachu is a good reference of a character who had an anime to help further define his character outside his original Game Boy game.

100% Agreed with this. Would love characters from Golden sun.

Hilarion

I want Donkey Kong Jr, from the arcade game. The son of Cranky and father of modern Donkey Kong (who I guess should be Donkey Kong the Third).

Shang

I don't buy Ridley being in tbh. i think that's a meme that will continue forever on purpose.

I would like to see shovel knight or bomber man or maxwell from scribblenauts bc all those devs have good relationships with nintendo and/or good moveset potential

but actually fuck them i want rabbid peach and for every other character to be cut from the game

They are missing so many new characters that can totally expand the roster.

I wanna see Baby Mario, Gold Mario, Metal Mario, Tanooki Mario, Rose Gold Peach, Baby Peach, Birdo, Lakitu, Blooper, Dry Bones, Dry Bones Bowser, Cat Bowser, all of Nintendo's major first party characters that are staples to many franchises.

Real Answer: Give me as many third party Nintendo console characters as you can fit. I wanna see Simon Belmont, I wanna see Lloyd Irving, just a few characters like that would be neat.
You'll get the koopalings only. Lemmy has always been awesome

Zannegan

Back when the whole "Ridley is too big for Smash" thing was new, I thought it would be fun to create a whole set of fighters designed from the ground up to be giant, and put them in there as part of the campaign mode, but also in special 1 v 4 modes, where one player plays as the boss character. It would be a fun way to expand what series and characters the games can reach, and at the same time would be much easier to balance than a traditional character because, well, they're designed to be unbalanced.

In that vein, I want to see Ridley, K-Rool, Ganon, the Xenoblade X mechs (or Xenoblade's Metalface, I guess), one of the Pokemon Legendaries, Master Hand/Crazy Hand, etc. etc. Just crazy big, OP, outlandish characters that add some variety to the roster without overcomplicating/unbalancing the core roster for pros.

Smasher89

What if all the big/gigantic characters gets added in their own game mode, ridley, vs masterhand, vs "insert final bosses here" where it controls slightly different too.

KevinKeene

Banned
What if all the big/gigantic characters gets added in their own game mode, ridley, vs masterhand, vs "insert final bosses here" where it controls slightly different too.

Then prepare for 5 more years of 'when will Ridley be REALLY playable?'. ;i

Top Bottom