• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how they will stuff Ice Climbers in unless they do some sort of animation magic making the two look like they are individuals but are actually the same entity code wise, but if they did come back, the hype would be uncontained. Either way I'd be pleased with this prediction. Especially the K Rool part. Even more especially the Banjo & Kazooie part.

A trailer containing the reveal of Ice Climbers would bring hype levels to obscene places. Like, the happiness of seeing Mewtwo and Lucas, combined, plus some. They were a huge cut, and weren't cut for any other reason than technical stuff.

I think he did actually say that he probably could have figured something out, but ICs weren't important enough to dedicate time to... well now he's got nothing but time.

Ic's depend if sakurais team has secretly still been trying to make them work, my gut says that he's been trying to get them to work on the 3ds due to having a lot more free time, especially when it seems like he is using the dlc as a way to give veterans a way to return to their fans. Time was supposedly the only issue to finding a solution.

I want to believe this, and yea, given more time he could figure something out.

...but, I don't know.

MagnesD3

I made a decent top 50 expectations myself last night. My top 10:

10. Takamaru
9. Chorus Kids/Marshal
8. Pichu
7. Ice Climbers
6. Ryu
5. King K. Rool
4. Wolf
3. Captain Toad
2. Dixie
1. Roy

K. Rool only in because of poll numbers and the popularity he's been receiving from bigger name people.

Just a thought too- remember early on in amiibo when they were showcasing potential characters? Tom Nook was one of them, and so far has no figure. Nook for Smash?

I'd love nook but he is apart of villagers Final smash sadly and villager stole his thunder. I'm afraid we may never see Tom be playable now even though he is the most iconic character in Animal Crossing.

I'm also thinking takamaru might be post planned dlc simply due to sakurais interest in making the character.

ICs trailer could be fun too. Kind of starts like Lucas' and then Popo appears "POPO... is alone!?" and solo Popo does some stuff, and then his eyes light up and he remembers he forgot something! He runs over to the edge and Nana is holding on for dear life, and he helps her up "ICE CLIMBERS COME FROM THE COLD"

It's a fake out. They're together, just like old times. But teasing how people thought Popo alone would replace them.

MagnesD3

ICs trailer could be fun too. Kind of starts like Lucas' and then Popo appears "POPO... is alone!?" and solo Popo does some stuff, and then his eyes light up and he remembers he forgot something! He runs over to the edge and Nana is holding on for dear life, and he helps her up "ICE CLIMBERS COME FROM THE COLD"

It's a fake out. They're together, just like old times. But teasing how people thought Popo alone would replace them.

This would be a nice tease for sure.

If there's anything interesting about ICs on the 3DS, it's worth mentioning the AI on the 3DS has gotten a lot better every patch since release. They also appear to have better ways to run Pikmin AI, as they're running almost as they do on the Wii U now.

So serious optimizations have been made to 3DS AI since release.

This is really noticeable on Pikmin. Pikmin at release were near useless.

I also imagine nobody would care if ICs weren't usable in 8 player Smash, if they really needed to do that.

Neiteio

I mean, you never know. Sakurai may yet find a way to make the Ice Climbers work, as a pair, on both systems. I have to imagine it nags him dropping one of his most clever creations.

MagnesD3

I mean, you never know. Sakurai may yet find a way to make the Ice Climbers work, as a pair, on both systems. I have to imagine it nags him dropping one of his most clever creations.
If ice climbers aren't PrePlanned before the poll I still feel they might come after the poll. I just can't see sakurai abondoning them like that given that he has an opportunity to fix them.

Zubz

Banned

That would be incredible! I'll admit, I'd be salty about the Solo Popo at first, but I'd be so hyped the second Nana shows up again!

At this point, I don't know if they're going to spend time bringing back the Ice Climbers, but I really hope they do! I liked those little guys. Again, I'd be fine if they were 8-Bit sprites running at > 30 FPS on the 3DS/8-Player Smash, with their 3D Models being N3DS/Wii U-non 8-Player Smash exclusive alts, seeing how they've only ever been sprites outside of Smash and the box art to their only game, but I don't know if Sakurai'd go that route. Honestly, I could see him insisting they be fully modeled and just dropping them when he can't "perfect" them.

Also, are we really going to start expecting a ton of DLC characters, even after tempering our hype after the Mewtwo reveal? This can only end in disaster.
.. And I'm along for the ride.

I kind of wonder if they would want to scale Nana way back so she isn't so much a second character as more of a Pikmin mixed with Luma. So she can go on her own, somewhat, but can also take commands while away from Popo. But she'd sort of have this hovering "floatiness" to her like Pikmin have. Maybe modify their down special to "return" Nana like Rosalina and Olimar can. And her AI wouldn't need to be excellent if this were the case, as Pikmin AI is somewhat acceptable.

Yea, the Ice Climbers might lose a little depth in the transition, but maybe simplifying the AI a bit would do good. This may need to make it so Nana can't grab, for example.

I think most people would want them back, rather than really care how technical they remain.

Neiteio

Fourteen characters.

Available separately, or in some cases, available in bundles.

DLC #1
- Mewtwo (always sold separately)

DLC #2
- Lucas
- Wolf
- Roy
- Ice Climbers
- Young Link (with Toon Link as alt)

DLC #3
- Pichu
- Plusle (with Pichu as alt)
- Minun (with Pichu as alt)
- Squirtle
- Ivysaur

DLC #4
- Snake (always sold separately, for Konami)

DLC #5
- Ryu (always sold separately, for Capcom)
- Ken (with Ryu as an alt)

DLC #6
- Inklings
- Octolings (with Inklings as alt)
- Captain Toad
- Toadette (with Captain Toad as alt)
- Dixie Kong
- King K. Rool

Preorder DLC Packs #2-6, get Dry Bowser to use right away (alt for Bowser)

Gartooth

Fourteen characters.

Available separately, or in some cases, available in bundles.

DLC #6
- Inklings
- Octolings (with Inklings as alt)
- Captain Toad
- Toadette (with Captain Toad as alt)
- Dixie Kong
- King K. Rool

Preorder DLC Packs #2-6, get Dry Bowser to use right away (alt for Bowser)

Inklings, Captain Toad, Dixie, and K. Rool all in one DLC pack? You're killing me with your hype Neiteio. D:

Neoxon

I made a decent top 50 expectations myself last night. My top 10:

10. Takamaru
9. Chorus Kids/Marshal
8. Pichu
7. Ice Climbers
6. Ryu
5. King K. Rool
4. Wolf
3. Captain Toad
2. Dixie
1. Roy

K. Rool only in because of poll numbers and the popularity he's been receiving from bigger name people.

Just a thought too- remember early on in amiibo when they were showcasing potential characters? Tom Nook was one of them, and so far has no figure. Nook for Smash?
Why are Takamaru & Ice Climbers on your Top 10 Most Expected list? One's an Assist Trophy & the other is held back by the 3DS.

Diffense

I never really cared for Ice Climbers but they were a unique duo and it's a shame they had to be cut for technical reasons.

In a sense, with DLC characters being made available, the whole issue of character parity is moot. Any given installation may nor may not have any of the DLC characters depending entirely on the player's preferences. IMO, it wouldn't be a big deal to insist that Ice Climbers be Smash U (or new3DS...though that would likely be more problematic) exclusive.

Why are Takamaru & Ice Climbers on your Top 10 Most Expected list? One's an Assist Trophy & the other is held back by the 3DS.

I used to think Ice Climbers were close to impossible, but over time I've been a little more open to the possibility of them returning.

It's mostly based on the substantial optimizations and improvements made to the 3DS AI. It's close to running at Wii U levels right now, while at release it was hilariously awful. Day 1 3DS Pikmin lmao.

He never quite said they were impossible too, only that dedicating more time needed to make it work was hard because they have no future as a series. With DLC there's far less pressure for hard deadlines.

They'd probably have to be scaled back a bit. I don't imagine Nana being able to grab or have really great pathing. But having her work like a really big Pikmin with Luma's attack ability? That seems somewhat more realistic now than it did at 3DS launch.

Neiteio

See the extra black space in the roster below? The black to the left and the right? The black on each side is about half the size of a character icon.

PVSMDv2.png

If you slide each row all the way over to the left, you can add four more characters. So let's add four more characters!

- In the bottom row, insert Squirtle, Ivysaur and Pichu after Mewtwo, replacing Shulk and Inkling, and bumping Pac-Man and the rest of the row to the right

- Add Ice Climbers to the end of the first row
- Move Captain Falcon to the end of the second row
- Move Shulk and Inklings to the end of the third row

Anyone want to try it?

Ryce

See the extra black space in the roster below? The black to the left and the right? The black on each side is about half the size of a character icon.
The black space is there because of overscan. That's also why the "Go Back" and custom fighter graphics end where they do. The full character select screen wouldn't be visible on certain TVs if there were icons covering the black space.

Neiteio

The black space is there because of overscan. That's also why the "Go Back" and custom fighter graphics end where they do. The full character select screen wouldn't be visible on certain TVs if there were icons covering the black space.
I'd still like to do the experiment and just say the icons are even smaller, lol

kirby_fox

Banned

Takamaru had everything going for him leading up to AT status-- his game was localized to the West, he got representation in Nintendoland, and he's been growing in popularity in both Japan and the West since then. With Sakurai previously considering him in games, as shown from interviews, and the popularity of the character rising-- I see the potential for him to be high in the polls and thus considered. Assist Trophy status has never been mentioned as something to disqualify a character.

Ice Climbers having been mentioned in numerous interviews as well, including saying they were working on Wii U, has the high potential to still see a comeback due to expanded time to work on them. With Mewtwo's return, Roy likely returning, and a focus on competitive play (which Melee is most popular for) there's a huge focus on bringing back fan faves and keeping Melee in tact it appears. While they initially didn't "work" on 3DS, we don't know how serious the issue and there's proof they were fairly far into development at some point (the chant glitch for instance). We could also see it working well on New 3DS, and working decently on the regular 3DS as they play with FPS.

I also compared them relatively to other characters on the list I had which put them in the top 10. I started with over 800 choices I had culminated before release from online fans, deleted characters that are no longer in use, not popular and irrelevant, and then went from there comparing everything. Popularity, seniority, how Sakurai chooses characters, how fans are reacting online, probability to work out a deal, etc.

Neiteio

I'd love it if someone could shop my request in Post #6073. I know it violates the overscan, but it's just to help me visualize my dream roster all at once. If they were to really add such characters, they would probably just redesign the CSS.

At any rate, I'd really appreciate if someone could shop it. :-3

Neoxon

Takamaru had everything going for him leading up to AT status-- his game was localized to the West, he got representation in Nintendoland, and he's been growing in popularity in both Japan and the West since then. With Sakurai previously considering him in games, as shown from interviews, and the popularity of the character rising-- I see the potential for him to be high in the polls and thus considered. Assist Trophy status has never been mentioned as something to disqualify a character.

Ice Climbers having been mentioned in numerous interviews as well, including saying they were working on Wii U, has the high potential to still see a comeback due to expanded time to work on them. With Mewtwo's return, Roy likely returning, and a focus on competitive play (which Melee is most popular for) there's a huge focus on bringing back fan faves and keeping Melee in tact it appears. While they initially didn't "work" on 3DS, we don't know how serious the issue and there's proof they were fairly far into development at some point (the chant glitch for instance). We could also see it working well on New 3DS, and working decently on the regular 3DS as they play with FPS.

I also compared them relatively to other characters on the list I had which put them in the top 10. I started with over 800 choices I had culminated before release from online fans, deleted characters that are no longer in use, not popular and irrelevant, and then went from there comparing everything. Popularity, seniority, how Sakurai chooses characters, how fans are reacting online, probability to work out a deal, etc.
That's the problem, we don't know if a character who's an Assist Trophy can be playable, so I wouldn't put your bets on Takamaru. As for the Ice Climbers, we don't know if extra time will be enough to get them included.

Javier

I see no reason to believe why a character that's currently an AT wouldn't be eligible to be a playable character through DLC.

kirby_fox

Banned
That's the problem, we don't know if a character who's an Assist Trophy can be playable, so I wouldn't put your bets on Takamaru. As for the Ice Climbers, we don't know if extra time will be enough to get them included.

The unknowns in this instance I imagine aren't going to negatively affect the character chances, but positively affect them. I'm guessing you probably see these unknowns as negative, decreasing their odds- which is why it bothers you to see them in my top 10.

Having seen how Sakurai acts, and looking at game development- I tend to put unknowns at a higher cost. But if Sakurai came out in an interview tomorrow and said Ice Climbers were impossible because no matter what happened they would crash the game or be unplayable at even a low FPS- then yeah, they would be gone from the top 10. If he said ATs should stay as ATs then yeah, all of them on the list are gone. But seeing as he had Toon Link as a conductor, Alfonso will just take over as AT for all of them obviously.

Gartooth

I see no reason to believe why a character that's currently an AT wouldn't be eligible to be a playable character through DLC.

At first I thought it would be odd to have an AT character be playable, but honestly it wouldn't be much more difficult than removing the Takamaru AT from play if he is in a match.

Neoxon

The unknowns in this instance I imagine aren't going to negatively affect the character chances, but positively affect them. I'm guessing you probably see these unknowns as negative, decreasing their odds- which is why it bothers you to see them in my top 10.

Having seen how Sakurai acts, and looking at game development- I tend to put unknowns at a higher cost. But if Sakurai came out in an interview tomorrow and said Ice Climbers were impossible because no matter what happened they would crash the game or be unplayable at even a low FPS- then yeah, they would be gone from the top 10. If he said ATs should stay as ATs then yeah, all of them on the list are gone. But seeing as he had Toon Link as a conductor, Alfonso will just take over as AT for all of them obviously.
Spirit Tracks Link & Toon/Wind Waker Link are totally different. The removal of ST Link was to avoid confusion.

What do you do with the Assist Trophy? Do you remove it? Replace it? Do you remove/replace it for everyone or just the people who own the DLC? What do you do with the old Assist Trophy trophy? It needs a new description. But now the replacement also needs a trophy.

There's a lot of extra steps. I don't know if they'll want to bother.

Javier

What do you do with the Assist Trophy? Do you remove it? Replace it? Do you remove/replace it for everyone or just the people who own the DLC? What do you do with the old Assist Trophy trophy? It needs a new description. But now the replacement also needs a trophy.

The AT can work so that it only shows up in matches were the playable character isn't present.

The old AT trophy can stay as it is. They didn't even bother to remove the old Mewtwo trophy from the 3DS version when he got released so now we have two trophies named "Mewtwo" on the 3DS. You think they would bother now?

Gartooth

Handle the trophy like Mewtwo. Don't load him in as an AT with the others if a player or COM is playing him.

Drago

Made this observation to myself yesterday; with Roy in the game (hopefully) we will have a Fire Emblem rep from every system the series has ever appeared on.

Marth - NES/SNES/DS
Roy - GBA
Ike - GC/Wii
Robin and Lucina - 3DS

Pretty cool. FE bias confirmed.

That might overcomplicate things (Smash is still meant to be really simple), and I'm not sure how multiple meter uses would even work since special moves are activated with a single button press. I like the classic SSFII Super Meter idea since each character had one Super Combo in that game and no other uses for the meter, which translates perfectly to Smash Bros.

Easy.

B+A / B+Shield to activate an EX move.

He could be another technical character in Smash, which would fit perfectly considering he's from a traditional fighter.

Neiteio

Easy.

B+A / B+Shield to activate an EX move.

He could be another technical character in Smash, which would fit perfectly considering he's from a traditional fighter.
I like this idea. Sakurai could make Ryu more "complicated" on the grounds that Ryu fans are Street Fighter fans and are used to learning more technically complex systems.

Also, someone, please, modify my roster. :-( (Scroll up to my post with the roster image)

Neoxon

I just personally think that we aren't getting any Assist Trophy characters as DLC. If you want to vote for one, go ahead, odds are Sakurai will refer back to the ballot for Smash 5 when considering who to promote (see Little Mac). But adding a character who's only a trophy or a regular old NPC is completely different from adding a character who's already an Assist Trophy or a boss. Even if you look at the Waluigi Assist Trophy PotD, the context was that he isn't gonna be playable anytime soon.

As for who I think we'll get, I've said this many times, but I think Sakurai is gonna stop at 6 & move onto his next project (or take a break). So basically...

- Mewtwo
- Lucas
- Roy
- Ryu
- Wolf
- Whoever Wins the Ballot That's Within Reason (I.E. Not Goku, Banjo, etc.)

I honestly believe anyone is possible if they get enough votes and the fans show/give Sakurai/Nintendo very good reasons to why their favorite characters should be playable.

And by anyone, I mean Nintendo characters and some reasonable 3rd-party characters. Assist Trophy or not.

Crayolan

That would certainly be a rollercoaster of emotions.

jnWake

I'll never understand your obsession with bashing and crushing everyone's lists.

Especially with Wonder Red as your avatar.

Village

While the latter is an another issue entierly. The former, who actually cares.

Sakurai opened a ballet
He there is a rumor ryu and ROY are coming back to the game
There is more dlc even after he said he wasn't going to do that
Not to mention the plethora of other shit he changed his mind on.

Stop creating arbitrary rules, you have no control. You don't he changes his mind, you have no control, accept this.

Vote for who you voted for, and be about your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom