• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why so lame comeback since I didn't complain about it. :p

It wasn't a comeback. That's the truth. ╮(╯▽╰)╭ Plus I never said you did complain, it's more of you putting me on the spot for something that isn't true. ;3

fite me heath (σˋ▽ˊ)σ

Neoxon

To be fair, I was critiquing a "Most Expected" list, not a "Who I Want to Vote For" list. Like IntelliHeath said before, vote for who you want since more likely than not, Sakurai will use the poll in the next Smash game as reference.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
*Looks at all the Wii Fit Trainer lovers/mains*

I may not play WFT, but I do play Charizard...he could be better, but according to Smashboards he got like 3 small buffs at least and a slightly more (self) painful Flare Blitz.

He needs more jumps damnit. He's no longer being balanced with Squirtle and Ivysaur and gliding isn't a thing anymore! Why does a flying type pokemon suck so badly in the air?

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why it took me until now to really think about it, and I know it's been talked about in the thread already: Takamaru. I remember the interview, I think it was, where Sakurai has stated he wanted the character in but retracted the idea because of his lack of over seas popularity. Honestly, and no offense at all to people who like WFT but...the avatar from Wii Fit. That makes the cut but a shuriken slinging, katana chopping warrior doesn't?

And no, I'm never letting this go.

While I like how Sakurai wants characters and such to be liked by the whole world and not just Japan or vice versa, it seems odd that it was for that reason stated above he didn't put in a character he wanted, even if the character could be appealing on his own to the West. Just look at Fire Emblem in Melee or Lucas from Mother 3. At the time of Melee and Brawl respectively, most all western players, even Nintendo fans, probably couldn't recall those characters at the time and now they are hugely popular here. I think Takamaru would be seen in the same way, even if you couldn't recognize his game, he's still a cool character in his own right. He's a samurai for god's sake.

But that was just a random thought of the evening.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Wii Fit sold a lot overseas so it wouldn't be surprised if they are perceived as popular.

True enough, but regardless, a Wii Fit stage, item, or Assist would handle it perfectly but I'd never fathom a -character- being made from it, but here we are. Note that it's not an argument against Wii Fit Trainer, but more of an argument in favor of Takamaru or any other character concerning relevance.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm just going to say that I don't really like the concept of Inklings for DLC solely because they seem like a really good potential newcommer for Smash 5. I always like to look at Smash games as sort of a representation of Nintendo and their history at the time of release, and I really like seeing new characters that weren't around when Nintendo released the last game. I feel like Inklings are likely going to be the best character that Nintendo could have between now and the release of Smash 5, so they just seem like a really great character to go along with that game's unveiling. I also look at DLC characters as characters that I would have liked to see in Smash 4 at release, and I feel like Inkling is too far off for that.

I realize this is all kinda arbitrary and Roy kinda disproves it, so I don't have any harsh feelings towards Inkling supporters, but it's just how I feel.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just going to say that I don't really like the concept of Inklings for DLC solely because they seem like a really good potential newcommer for Smash 5. I always like to look at Smash games as sort of a representation of Nintendo and their history at the time of release, and I really like seeing new characters that weren't around when Nintendo released the last game. I feel like Inklings are likely going to be the best character that Nintendo could have between now and the release of Smash 5, so they just seem like a really great character to go along with that game's unveiling. I also look at DLC characters as characters that I would have liked to see in Smash 4 at release, and I feel like Inkling is too far off for that.

I realize this is all kinda arbitrary and Roy kinda disproves it, so I don't have any harsh feelings towards Inkling supporters, but it's just how I feel.

There are those who'd agree. I honestly think the Inkling hype is a bit premature. I'd want Splatoon to prove itself first, and while I understand it's a smart marketing move, it's for that very reason the idea of Inklings in Smash DLC feels forced to me. I wouldn't be mad if they got in, I'm actually expecting them to get in (because smart marketing and Nintendo wanting to push a new IP, which it's been trying to push hardcore for a while now). And to be honest, once you're in Smash your relevance outside it no longer matters. Once a Smasher, always a Smasher. Just look at returning veterans, especially Roy. His game wasn't even out when Melee was released. Just look at Jigglypuff. So regardless of whether or not Splatoon does well (and it's EAD, come on), Inklings in Smash would likely solidify their presence in the series. The only thing I want to know is how they'll handle their ink, I assume they won't ink up the entire stage and just use it as regular projectiles.

PVSMDv2.png

holy shit this roster

it is so beautiful

smash 4 wiiu/3ds complete edition nintendo pls

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If Bamco and Sega get another rep, who would they be?

I personally want Agumon from Bamco just for shits and giggles.

Hatchtag

Banned

Bamco would probably get a Tekken or Tales rep maybe? But I don't think they'd be a great fit for Smash.
Sega would probably get another Sonic character or Bayonetta.
I'd see Sega as being much more likely, but still fairly unlikely. Though if you pooled Bayonetta and Wonder Red's Ballot votes together, they'd probably be pretty high, and there's definitely a fanbase overlap there.

Golnei

There's no real options beside Lucky Chloe and Big the Cat; especially now that characters originating in fighting games are up for consideration.

The only thing I want to know is how they'll handle their ink, I assume they won't ink up the entire stage and just use it as regular projectiles.

Along with their inclusion being premature, the possible hardware limitations of the 3DS (and Wii U?) are another reason why I'd hope for the Inklings to be left until the next game. They could certainly be made to work with ink-based projectiles, but an actual paint mechanic that visibly affects the stage and alters properties of their moveset would make them much more unique.

Breakless

Banned
Someone on Reddit asked if STEAM had been datamined to find Roy Amiibo information.

Anyone know? Kind of a minor release to be datamined, but with Smash DLC hype at maximum levels, maybe someone bothered to do it.

Funny enough, I was the one asking that on reddit, and the thread went unnoticed. Glad to see its getting attention here!

batfax

Red Ring Rico from Phantasy Star Online for SEGA. I feel PSO on GC was one of the "big SEGA games on a Nintendo system" and PSO2 is probably SEGA's biggest thing right now. Makes more sense to me than Bayonetta while being more interesting than another Sonic character at least.

Namco, thanks to being with Nintendo regularly since the Famicom has soooo many more options. Beloved classics that are always drawn to crossovers like Gilgamesh, Valkyrie, and KOS-MOS (who has a bonus for being created by the now Nintendo Monolith Soft) and stuff like Tales and Tekken and all kinds of stuff. Really tough to pick one for them...

jwillenn

It wouldn't be so bad for me [as a WFT lover] if I didn't so often accidentally fsmash when trying to ftilt...but such is life.

That's easily rectified by assigning tilts to analog stick.

As a Trainer who is big on using all of her Header Feint follow ups, a thing I wish for is being able to instantly act upon landing from the Feint. The instant her feet touch the ground, the player should be able to either let the animation play out, or cancel the animation with other actions. I'm not even asking for Super Armor during the animation. Just let me get the heck out of the way if I sense my opponent will deny me the joy of sharing my Header Happiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDv6jgbD18I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkg2foR67lI

Hatchtag

Banned
FYI, the Dreamland 64 classic mode bug on the 3DS was also fixed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Roy, Ryu and Lucas were removed from the files as well

No reason to at this point, especially with Lucas being already announced. Maybe Roy and Ryu will be removed for copyright reasons, but otherwise, eh.

Soooo I just played Melee for the first time in ages.

I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally want Fountain of Dreams as DLC, now. Spring water reflections be damned, I need that music and all the potential ones that come with it!

JCX

Soooo I just played Melee for the first time ages.

I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally want Fountain of Dreams as DLC, now. Spring water reflection be damned, I need that music and all the potential ones that come with it!

I don't know why, but I love Fountain of Dreams much more than Battlefield. I think it's because of the excellent remix.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Made this observation to myself yesterday; with Roy in the game (hopefully) we will have a Fire Emblem rep from every system the series has ever appeared on.

Marth - NES/SNES/DS
Roy - GBA
Ike - GC/Wii
Robin and Lucina - 3DS

Pretty cool. FE bias confirmed.

Good. With him and Lucas we have some characters who originated on the GBA again, where before the closest we had was Wario *due to WarioWare and ZSS due to Fusion.

Excluding the Virtual Boy, I think every Nintendo console has a character who originated on it again.

I'll take a wild guess and assume Sakurai has multiple reasons for including or not including characters and he doesn't explain all of the reasons in press interviews or Famitsu column.

This makes "How could he do X but then allow Y!" kind of...pointless.

I'll take a wild guess and assume Sakurai has multiple reasons for including or not including characters and he doesn't explain all of the reasons in press interviews or Famitsu column.

This makes "How could he do X but then allow Y!" kind of...pointless.

Someday, I'd like to see Sakurai comment on a whole bunch of characters he had considered in the past, because he must have considered a lot more than the few characters we've known. I mean, what is it right now?

Takamaru
Sukapon
Excitebike
Nintendog
Mach Rider
Ridley
Urban Champion
Bubbles
Balloon Fighter
Dixie Kong

Did I miss anyone else?

Neoxon

Someday, I'd like to see Sakurai comment on a whole bunch of characters he had considered in the past, because he must have considered a lot more than the few characters we've known. I mean, what is it right now?

Takamaru
Sukapon
Excitebike
Nintendog
Mach Rider
Ridley
Urban Champion
Bubbles
Balloon Fighter
Dixie Kong

Did I miss anyone else?
Based on old data, the Rhythm Heaven rep (most likely the Chorus Kids).

woopWOOP

Pre-Brawl I was legit hoping for Bubbles to get in as a grappler style fighter, with her long arms.
(Secretly still hoping)

I wonder if they'd do a "future of Smash 4" May direct showing off tournament mode in detail, Miiverse, Lucas, DLC stages, more Mii costumes and then Ryu and Roy.

I think they could probably fill 20-30 minutes discussing future updates and DLC.

It's just so boring waiting until E3

I wonder if they'd do a "future of Smash 4" May direct showing off tournament mode in detail, Miiverse, Lucas, DLC stages, more Mii costumes and then Ryu and Roy.

I think they could probably fill 20-30 minutes discussing future updates and DLC.

It's just so boring waiting until E3

Considering that Zelda has been delayed, I'm pretty sure they're planning a big DLC expansion pack for holiday 2015 (hence the Smash 6 job listings). I also expect at least one new game for Q4, most likely from Next Level Games.

If we were to get another NB rep it'd probably be probably a Tales of rep as the series did technically start on the SNES and has had success on Nintendo systems over the years and a Tales character would be very easy to adapt a moveset to Smash. Most likely candidates would be Cless from the original ToP, or Lloyd from ToS due to popularity and worldwide appeal.

If Sega gets a second rep, it'd probably be either Tails/Dr Eggman, NiGHTS, or Bayonetta. the first being very iconic, the later having had exclusive titles on recent Nintendo systems.

Though none of them really are on the same tier as Ryu or Street Fighter.

Hatchtag

Banned
Considering that Zelda has been delayed, I'm pretty sure they're planning a big DLC expansion pack for holiday 2015 (hence the Smash 6 job listings). I also expect at least one new game for Q4, most likely from Next Level Games.

Eh, I don't think they'll do a big DLC pack, otherwise they wouldn't have given Lucas a June date. I'm still thinking Smash will have a big presense at Ninty's E3 though. I mean, shit, last year it both opened and closed their conference-what other game has done that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom