• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bomberman would be great. Debuting in 1983 and over 70 games and cameos since then and he has a long history with Nintendo.

I campaigned heavily for Bomberman during the Brawl era, but he's pretty much dead now. Like, worse than Mega Man. Konami is the worst publisher in the industry.

Bomberman is the only character who deserves to be in alongside the other 3. Infact I'd say Sonic and Pac Man are in one group and Bomberman is equal to Mega Man just below in terms of how much they deserve to be in. Yeah Mega Man has more hardcore fans but this is because of the nature of the Bomberman games. Just like Pac Man, Bomberman doesn't necessarily have "fans" but he's up there in importance and how much he is recognised. He deserves it more than Simon Belmont.

And of course some Bomberman Music

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wX3ZHObokJw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8yaKkbPSM-U

Secretly the best VGM no one mentions:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_xHxO_R1CW4

Time to belly dance!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bTROBVe5ku8

Not that I'd mind seeing Simon, Phoenix Wright or in an alternate world Banjo, Conker and Joanna, but I just can't deny that Bomberman is next on the list of most deserving.

Blues1990

I campaigned heavily for Bomberman during the Brawl era, but he's pretty much dead now. Like, worse than Mega Man. Konami is the worst publisher in the industry.

Man, don't remind me. It still makes me sore that Konami and brought Hudson Soft and they thought the smartest idea was to dissolve them and take their I.P.'s....But they haven't done jack squat with them.

Merc_

You know who deserves to be on the smash roster? Whoever Sakurai and the fans want, that's who. You would think the whole "who deserves to be in smash" thing would have stopped after Snake got in.

You know who deserves to be on the smash roster? Whoever Sakurai and the fans want, that's who. You would think the whole "who deserves to be in smash" thing would have stopped after Snake got in.

That is what it ultimately comes down to anyway but you can't just ignore the deserves to factor when it plays a big role in a lot of Sakurais and the fans votes in the first place.

Merc_

That is what it ultimately comes down to anyway but you can't just ignore the deserves to factor when it plays a big role in a lot of Sakurais and the fans votes in the first place.

Pretty sure that Roy, Greninja, and the Ice Climbers wouldn't be there based on the silly rules I always see people making up. This honestly just seems like another way to try and dismiss characters and votes.

Vote for whoever you want goddamnit!

Vena

If its going to be an indie figure, Shantae probably makes the most sense. Much moreso than Shovel Knight unless Nintendo suddenly pick-ups Yacht Club or something.

RomanceDawn

whats the source of this? o.o

It is absolutely NOT from Nintendo's official poll I can tell you that now. Just look how they separated the characters into different classes. There is NO way to know any early results of this poll unless you were on the inside. That Japanese one came from a Smash Boards user I think and the US one is purely anecdotal.

Crayolan

Looks like character suggestions are already at the usual level of insanity.

I can't believe people are seriously suggesting characters like Shovel Knight and Shantae. I'm not trying to bash their games, but their franchises have nowhere near the status that Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman do. Even if they were to win the poll I don't think they'd be given a chance.

I'm also surprised so many people are jumping to suggest 3rd parties at all before exploring more of Nintendo's library. I mean the Waluigi and K Rool suggestions are dumb IMO but at least they're Nintendo characters.

Seriously, what is the obsession with Goku. I've been seeing people say he should be in it for years

Dragon Ball Z may be super old at this point but it's still very popular, especially amongst teen boys and younger.

Nanashrew

Banned
Seriously, what is the obsession with Goku. I've been seeing people say he should be in it for years

No clue. I mean, I love Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z but I'd never vote for him. Maybe it's a fantasy to see Mario and Goku throw down like in many of those ancient flash pixel animations on YouTube.

Cody_D165

Banned
Shovel Knight is like my guilty desire pick

I know he doesn't really deserve to get into the game

but I don't care

I just want to bury scrubs in For Glory and then shovel-pogo-dair-spike them while offstage

- FOR SHOVELRY -

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

I can't believe people are seriously suggesting characters like Shovel Knight and Shantae. I'm not trying to bash their games, but as franchises they're nowhere near the status that Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman have. Even if they were to win the poll I don't think they'd be given a chance.

I'm also surprised so many people are jumping to suggest 3rd parties at all before exploring more of Nintendo's library. I mean the Waluigi and K Rool suggestions are dumb IMO but at least they're Nintendo characters.

Dragon Ball Z may be super old at this point but it's still very popular, especially amongst teen boys and younger.

To be fair, Nintendo did clarify you can vote for any video game character. With no specifics or rules that many of us GAFers like to place on Smash character picks. So people are free to go wild. And I wouldn't call K. Rool's suggestions being dumb, he seems to be hitting high in popularity, in both US and (surprisingly) Japanese boards.

Crayolan

To be fair, Nintendo did clarify you can vote for any video game character. With no specifics or rules that many of us GAFers like to place on Smash character picks. So people are free to go wild. And I wouldn't call K. Rool's suggestions being dumb, he seems to be hitting high in popularity, in both US and (surprisingly) Japanese boards.

Well "dumb" as in I don't think he'd be a very good choice, nothing against the people voting for him though.

I just think it'd be weird for him to get in now despite not appearing in a mainline donkey kong game since the N64. If he was to appear in a new game DK game as the main villain in the next few years? Then sure, great, throw him in Smash 5. But as of now if there's gonna be any new DK rep Dixie seems like the better choice.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah, 35 Nintendo exclusives is pretty amazing, plus this little gem:

hqdefault.jpg

I actually never played this one? O: How is it?

Makes me sad and why I poured my heart into this one.

JoeM86

Yeah, but that's an anime. It's not predominantly a gaming franchise, or one that has a home on Nintendo formats, so I feel Goku shouldn't be included into consideration.

Inkling, Captain Toad, BoxBoy (yes, really :p) and Bomberman are my picks.

I can't believe people are seriously suggesting characters like Shovel Knight and Shantae.
theres nothing insane about it. Both are great characters and franchises. An insane vote would be something not known for its games like Goku, or my personal most wanted character The Witch from The Witch's House who hasn't even appeared on a Nintendo system and horror character completely clashes with Smash but its still someone I want in Smash or a eventual Smash Indie mashup.

Shovel Knight and Shantae fit right in. Lots of great indie characters can fit right in. I really don't think Sakurai would be against indie characters if theres enough demand and he likes said character.
their franchises have nowhere near the status that Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman do.
So what? Its Smash, anything can happen. Your just dismissing them just for the sake of it.

And its my personal opinion that Shovel Knight is better than all games from all three of the Smash third parties combined. There I said it.

its more along the lines that most characters that are really wanted are already in the game. For popular 1st party characters for DLC or Smash 5 theres Inklings, Toad/Captain Toad, Paper Mario

And for most wanted characters theres Ridley, KRool or Dixie, and maybe Wonder Red. Of course theres tons of other characters alot of people including myself wants from 1st parties but at the moment, I feel that these are likely the only ones with a chance

Another thing is alot of people have wanted these for so long that they've just become boring additions because its been so long without them. Thats how I feel with Dixie. Wanted her in for years but after awhile I just got tired of being excited for her being in. I think some of us are more behind Shovel Knight and Shantae because they are new wants and feel fresh or something. I feel like I butchered this paragraph. >_>

PtM

Banned
Yes? Smash should strive to best represent a series and its history.

Pokemon is a hard game to represent correctly in Smash because it basically resets itself every few years and has a huge cast of diverse, iconic characters created and maintained for 20 years.

Games like Pokemon and Fire Emblem that have game rosters like that are best represented with a wide scope of characters that represent all eras of them. It's why I don't really care how many Pokemon or Fire Emblem characters are in Smash because that's just how the series is best represented. They have large rosters in their own series.

Right now everything from 2000-2005 isn't represented at all. That's a fourth of the history of Pokemon.

With clones and the alt character system they can kind of cheat this (Pichu back with Plusle/Minun alts), but it still really does feel like Gold and Silver and Ruby and Sapphire are basically ignored in Smash. Gold and Silver has been running on the same music remix since Melee (that isn't even labeled as being from GS) and RS has 2 remixes. The 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th gens have way more music each.

The 3rd gen is especially hit hard by representation in Smash, never having a character and coming at a really awkward time between Melee and Brawl, so it never really got a fair shake in Smash. The 5th Gen might not get a character, but it gets tons of music, lots of Pokeball Pokemon and an entire stage. The second gen gets an unlabeled remix and third gen gets some old remixes and a cut character in the files of Brawl. 2nd and 3rd gen are the only two gens that have never have a stage in Smash Bros, either.
smh. "Represent" is so the biggest fanboy argument ever. Skry be like "can't be helped with children".

Zalman

Haha, I honestly can't tell if people are serious anymore when they say they want Goku. I love Goku and Dragon Ball, but he's not Smash Bros. material.

smh. "Represent" is so the biggest fanboy argument ever. Skry be like "can't be helped with children".
He's right though.

japtor

Hell with Wonder Red, I voted for the Wonderful 101 as a multiple character slot like the Koopa Kids.

(Ignore the multitude of issues that would introduce, and that there's like 10 possible characters there)

At this point the only third party characters left that are in that league are the Konami 3(Simon, Bomberman, Goemon) and possibly a FF/DQ rep. Nobody else comes close to deserving a Smash guest slot. Really the guest roster should just be Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-man, and Simon. Anything more than that does get to be a bit much.
The "Konami 3" is not Simon, not Bomberman and especially not fucking Goemon. The Konami 3 is Snake, Snake, and Snaaaake. Snake is by far Konami's biggest character. Those other 3 aren't even close to being in the league of Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man. Bomberman is a homeless man's Mega Man, Simon is the Marth of Castlevania... and that's not a good thing for a third party character, and Goemon (lol), you can't even find that series on the highest grossing franchises of all time list, and it's a long list that includes the likes of Turok and Twisted Metal towards the bottom. Nobody that doesn't frequent Neogaf knows who the hell Goemon is.

IMO the only third party characters whose company hasn't already had a character in Smash that are in the league of (or close to) Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man and Snake are:
Rayman (Ubisoft)
Crash Bandicoot (Activision)
Cloud or Lara Croft (Square-Enix)
Scorpion (WB)

Not that all of those characters would fit in the game, but those are the only super famous third party characters from mega lucrative series that represent their companies.

I can't believe people are seriously suggesting characters like Shovel Knight and Shantae. I'm not trying to bash their games, but their franchises have nowhere near the status that Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman do.

Ya know, I feel like I grow every time Smash character debates pop up (which is normally around the time a new smash pops up...). I must say, the negativity that sparks these debates will always confuse me.

Support what you will, I say!
No Character is as iconic as the current 3rd party picks. I mean, think about it. We (the fans) had to waste a poll getting Sonic into brawl because it never dawned on him that everyone would want Sonic once the 3rd party gates opened up. Same for MM ... and Pacman got in cause Miyamoto has a hard on for the thing and asked iirc. I can't think of any others that are as Iconic as them ... but I can think of tons who would fit right into the Nintendo stable.

I understand that people like to appear to make rational points when they disagree but no, this is an open poll (OPEN! The rules said nothing about originating in games or being on a Nintendo con this time) and if a ton of people can band together and get their character noticed by him then that's just grand in my book. And the beautiful thing is ... some of these smaller companies are actually CAMPAIGNING for their character! If an indie game can top the polls (the real poll, not this fake shit people keep posting ..), catch the man's eye and get in then that's just wonderful.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry, as much as the Paper Mario games are really good it's just a damn waste to have 3 Marios (4 if you somehow count Luigi) in the same game. Intelligence System stuff got enough love.It's time for some Camelot stuff besides Waluigi. Golden Sun got jipped hard in this game and the last one so it's time to fix that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If Goku gets in and not Naruto I'm quitting video games.

EDIT: Fuck the roster yo the game needs more assist trophies.
EDIT 2: And less shit stages.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Do people reckon character announcements will be one of Ninty's big reveals at E3? Maybe they reveal 5 or 6 characters that will launch within the next year?

Soul Lab

Do people reckon character announcements will be one of Ninty's big reveals at E3? Maybe they reveal 5 or 6 characters that will launch within the next year?

No way they're gonna show 5 or more characters imo. I can see Wolfs reveal alongside Starfox. Or another one and Wolf reveal will be near Starfox launch

and Wonder Red trailer

Tregard

Soothsayer
No way they're gonna show 5 or more characters imo. I can see Wolfs reveal alongside Starfox. Or another one and Wolf reveal will be near Starfox launch

and Wonder Red trailer

Yeah 5 probably is a bit generous, especially if they're doing the cinematic trailers again. But they'll want to make a big deal out of revealing ballot results I think, I could see them doing 3.

Come to think of it, are there any decent Mario Party characters? I need some Mario Party love in Smash, especially since it doesn't have a stage.

Bumper Ball Mario?

Soul Lab

Yeah 5 probably is a bit generous, especially if they're doing the cinematic trailers again. But they'll want to make a big deal out of revealing ballot results I think, I could see them doing 3.

Well, ballot is running til October. So I'm pretty sure we're not going to see a character out of it. I'd love to be wrong, though

The "Konami 3" is not Simon, not Bomberman and especially not fucking Goemon. The Konami 3 is Snake, Snake, and Snaaaake. Snake is by far Konami's biggest character. Those other 3 aren't even close to being in the league of Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man. Bomberman is a homeless man's Mega Man, Simon is the Marth of Castlevania... and that's not a good thing for a third party character, and Goemon (lol), you can't even find that series on the highest grossing franchises of all time list, and it's a long list that includes the likes of Turok and Twisted Metal towards the bottom. Nobody that doesn't frequent Neogaf knows who the hell Goemon is.

In terms of relevance to Nintendo though, Bomberman and Simon Belmont are way bigger than Snake. Also, I think 'a homeless man's Mega Man' is a strange description of a character whose games are nothing like Mega Man.

I can't believe people are seriously suggesting characters like Shovel Knight and Shantae. I'm not trying to bash their games, but their franchises have nowhere near the status that Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman do. Even if they were to win the poll I don't think they'd be given a chance.

No one is voting for Shantae and/or Shovel Knight out of a misguided opinion that they or their games are as big, far-reaching, or relevant to Nintendo and gaming at large as Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. Obviously they aren't, despite their excellent quality. They are voting for Shantae and Shovel Knight because they like those characters and their games and would like to see them join the roster of playable characters in Smash. It's as simple as that.

No, really - it actually is as simple as that. I don't see how something as painfully clear as "Vote and tell us which character you would like to see added to Smash!" has been twisted and blown out of proportion by so many people. It literally is as straightforward as voting for the character(s) you would like to see added to the roster; there's nothing else to it. Arguments about a character's "deservedness" or first-party vs. third-party or wasted votes vs. useful votes or indie vs. mainstream or anything else don't enter into it.

Just vote for the character you want to see in Smash most. That is literally it.

Also, while it is admittedly unlikely no matter how well they perform in the poll, I don't think Shantae or Shovel Knight being added to the roster is completely impossible. Again, I admit that it's probably not going to happen, but it honestly isn't impossible - and if it isn't, then the people who want to see those characters in the roster should vote for them.

Bulbasaur

Banned
If this isn't some cruel hoax and the next characters haven't already decided I'll go Takumaru (yes the assist will have to go). Second choice is Sakura Samurai.

Neoxon

If this isn't some cruel hoax and the next characters haven't already decided I'll go Takumaru (yes the assist will have to go). Second choice is Sakura Samurai.
Outside of my gut feeling of Wolf in August, I don't think any other character has been chosen yet.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Outside of my gut feeling of Wolf in August, I don't think any other character has been chosen yet.

Well I reckon Goku won by a mile before the poll even started. If the the first announced character isn't him then we'll both know how legit it is.

Neoxon

Well I reckon Goku won by a mile before the poll even started. If the the first announced character isn't him then we'll both know how legit it is.
They said video game characters, so that instantly rules out Goku (who, let's be honest, most people are voting as a joke).

King K. Rool is owning the poll right now, so I could see Sakurai prematurely adding him in October. Of course there's also room for the likes of Inkling, Wonder Red (both 2nd & 3rd in the US Poll estimates) as well as Krystal & Dixie (2nd & 4th in the Japanese Poll estimates).
I didn't mention Ridley, who's 3rd in the estimate for the Japanese Poll because Sakurai already tried & failed to make him playable.

Village

They said video game characters, so that instantly rules out Goku (who, let's be honest, most people are voting as a joke).

King K. Rool is owning the poll right now, so I could see Sakurai prematurely adding him in October. Of course there's also room for the likes of Inkling, Wonder Red (both 2nd & 3rd in the US Poll estimates) as well as Krystal & Dixie (2nd & 4th in the Japanese Poll estimates).
I didn't mention Ridley, who's 3rd in the estimate for the Japanese Poll because Sakurai already tried & failed to make him playable.

There no basis for the estimate data.

Like you know that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom