• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Demon's Crest is such a good game as well.

Yeah, game is awesome. Looking at the sold listings on ebay, you can still get it for less than $60 from time to time. Not too crazy yet. All the Buy it Now listings are trying to push the price up, and sadly it's working.

Holy shit, it's not done for 6 more days. Why the fuck are people bidding it up that much already?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME

Parallacs

Yeah, you're right. Looking at completed listings:

Damaged label: $12 - $20
Clean Label: $25 - $30
With Box: $50 - $80

Still, not bad considering it is an essential game.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Can the Japanese version of Mystical Ninja (Ganbare Goemon: Yukihime Kyuushutsu Emaki) be played decently without knowing any Japanese? I remember playing my friends PAL version and didn't need to do any (or much) reading but I didn't get very far.

Also same question about any of the other Goemon games on the SNES. Thanks :)

The first one you MIGHT be okay with in Japanese. But I remember the English version using super long passwords - if those are in Japanese too, they will be a huge pain.

Goemon 2 is fairly straightforward, it's a lot like Super Mario World. Goemon 3 is more of an RPG though, and it's very easy to get lost or stuck without knowing the event trigger. Goemon 4 is similar to 2, but there are a few town sequences where you do need some Japanese knowledge to progress. That one is definitely worth playing - one of the best of the series.

If your to worried to use Magic Erasers in fear of scratching away the plastic, use this stuff on markers. I promise it works within 30 sec. It even removed marker names off the back N64 cart label. I found this trick on a youtube video.

awm-023_1z.jpg

Linkhero1

Some of my pickups from yesterday. Going to post the rest once they come in the mail.

y3ls0wq.jpg

Everyone should get Super Castlevania IV.

I feel the price has to go up soon. I see ebay auctions end for less than $20 so it isn't bad yet. Every halloween, I play through either SCIV or Dracula X.

Also, boo everyone who is bidding on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200891571225?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_44wt_1142

I'm already out

I see them ending for more. I'm gonna look for a copy today. I need it more than anything else but I really want SCIV CIB :(

HCgamer

Traded chrono trigger to amazon two years ago sold super metroid contra III castlevania IV amazon thought I could rebuy them later I was wrong

HCgamer

Snes official controllers is it normal for select start buttons multiple presses to work I own several pads all have same problem

Parallacs

My God...I think prices have already gone up or something. I wasn't able to find anything close to that.

Haha that's my point!

Buy it now. SCIV is the next Earthbound. It will be $250 by next week.

Trying to see if I can spark a rush on the game.

In all seriousness, the games I see increasing the most are:

-Yoshi's Island (obvious with the WiiU game coming)
-DKC 1 through 3 (still dirt cheap but the lack of eShop is going to push them up)
-Secret of Mana (Still $40 but it is gaining in popularity)
-Metal Warriors (Getting very uncommon. It has already risen from $80 to $120 in the past six months)
-Havest Moon (A game that has trippled in value in the past two years. It will probably go to $160 soon)

Linkhero1

Haha that's my point!

Buy it now. SCIV is the next Earthbound. It will be $250 by next week.

Trying to see if I can spark a rush on the game.

In all seriousness, the games I see increasing the most are:

-Yoshi's Island (obvious with the WiiU game coming)
-DKC 1 through 3 (still dirt cheap but the lack of eShop is going to push them up)
-Secret of Mana (Still $40 but it is gaining in popularity)
-Metal Warriors (Getting very uncommon. It has already risen from $80 to $120 in the past six months)
-Havest Moon (A game that has trippled in value in the past two years. It will probably go to $160 soon)

The only ones I don't have. SoM is definitely on my radar. The other two not so much at the moment.

I just wanna chime in and say that I love this topic. I love how there's so many gamers out there interested in these older games. It's great that there's a whole community of folks out there keeping this era of gaming alive.

<3

Gonna see if I can find a cheap SNES in good condition online this week. I pretty much only need the console, since I still have working controllers and cords from my already non functioning SNES. Hopefully the prices aren't too ridiculous!

Parallacs

I just wanna chime in and say that I love this topic. I love how there's so many gamers out there interested in these older games. It's great that there's a whole community of folks out there keeping this era of gaming alive.

<3

Yup. This thread has been great so far.

There is a lot of nostalgia that keeps me playing my SNES, but at the same time, sometimes I enjoy this more than modern gaming.

No load times, online passes, scratched disks, online subscriptions, charging cradles, dlc, game clients, DRM, etc.

It's been great going through this thread as I have just started collecting for Super Nintendo back in October of last year.

Here's my haul so far:

SNES no yellow console w/ 2 controllers
Super Metroid
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Zelda: LTTP
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Mario Kart
Pilotwings
Star Fox
Donkey Kong Country
F-Zero

Most of this was done through eBay and my total so far is about $170. I live in a small town so unfortunately craigslist is pretty barren. I also work Saturdays so yard sales are usually out of reach as well. Like a previous person stated a few pages back I'm just picking up games that I want to play or for nostalgia's sake.

I've also started to get some N64 and NES games. Some childhood favorites I recently picked up were Crystalis, Diddy Kong Racing, and Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2. Probably my greatest find so far was a N64 console with OoT, SM64, and Conkers Bad Fur Day for $50 of CL. Just for Conkers Bad Fur Day I made $69 on ebay. It's a pretty fun way of getting some disposable income to spend on the SNES.

The SNES collecting has been great especially since my son is 5 and we've been playing the crap out of the classics. You got a raise 'em right and the SNES library is a good start.

Parallacs

The SNES collecting has been great especially since my son is 5 and we've been playing the crap out of the classics. You got a raise 'em right and the SNES library is a good start.

Great list so far.

My daughter is only 8 months old but it is always fun to prop her up in front of the NES and put in Kid Ikarus. I'm raising her spartan.

Mostly she just chews on the controller so I hollowed out a genesis controller for her.

Linkhero1

Personally, I thought Luigi's new mechanics were kinda shitty. I mean, they're in line with how Luigi plays in everything else, but blech.

Of course, how often does one really play 2-player Mario World?

Never.

Always in my house! I don't think I've ever played single player aside from the remake on GBA.

Quackula

Personally, I thought Luigi's new mechanics were kinda shitty. I mean, they're in line with how Luigi plays in everything else, but blech.

Of course, how often does one really play 2-player Mario World?

Never.

Or always considering if you only have one controller plugged in it controls both Mario and Luigi. It's like playing the games with double the lives!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I recently saw an ad for this game in an EGM. I'm kinda curious as to how it is if anybody has played?

588221_113972_front.jpg

I loled a whole ton over the "SUPER TECHNO SOUNDTRACK" from 2 Unlimited.

Weird to see a company going from making shmups with 2 Unlimited soundtracks to being the biggest games developer nowadays.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I recently saw an ad for this game in an EGM. I'm kinda curious as to how it is if anybody has played?

588221_113972_front.jpg

Weird to see a company going from making shmups with 2 Unlimited soundtracks to being the biggest games developer nowadays.

Oh, Holy Christ, BioMetal. It needs to be seen to be believed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFcYzXLQYpk

The game basically shits out a digitized version of everyone's favorite jam from the 1997 smash hit, Air Bud.

The game itself is aight... nothing great. Obviously, get the US version for the sweet music if you're interested in it. The Japanese version's soundtrack is not this passionate.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
got used copies in clear cases of biometal, dr. franken and doomsday warriors from my aunt on one birthday man good times

588221_113972_front.jpg

They basically took a decent but not amazing Japanese shmup, took out the music, and replaced it with 2 Unlimited stuff. Yeah, get it! :)

Is that the same as the original SNES All Stars just with SMW or does it have some previous NES Mario games missing?

As everyone stated above, its Super Mario All Stars but with Mario World as well. Mario World was bundled with the SNES, but when Mario All Stars came out they started bundling it with the console as well. So instead of putting two carts in the box, they just made one special cart with both games. Its a good game to have in a collection, and since it was a bundle it never had a box, so it makes it easy to collect. Honestly, i never knew about the Luigi thing and Mario World is my favorite game of all time lol.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The funny thing is, I think the first time I ever heard the term "techno", was from EGM of all places.

But yeah, I've always assumed for the longest time that Wipeout was the first game to have licensed electronic music on its soundtrack. So the Biometal ad comes as a big revelation to me. Can't wait to hear the SNES soundchip take on EDM, we'll see if it holds up to the Genny in that regard ;)

Yup. This thread has been great so far.

There is a lot of nostalgia that keeps me playing my SNES, but at the same time, sometimes I enjoy this more than modern gaming.

No load times, online passes, scratched disks, online subscriptions, charging cradles, dlc, game clients, DRM, etc.

How far we've come...;_;

Mareg

On the subject of Demon's Crest.

I have the game but I've always tought it was overated. However, there is a part of me believing I haven't seen the whole game. I seem to remember it was akwardly short and the end was very bitter.

Gaf, tell me I have been lured and there is another whole game wating form me... (like Symphony inverted castle)

giggas

Great list so far.

My daughter is only 8 months old but it is always fun to prop her up in front of the NES and put in Kid Ikarus. I'm raising her spartan.

Mostly she just chews on the controller so I hollowed out a genesis controller for her.

Hah, that's great. I did the same thing for my daughters with a SNES controller of mine that wasn't working too hot. That said, I actually try not to play many video games in front of them. They've caught me playing DS and Wii U and took a slight interest but I've never turned on one of the consoles and took over the TV for a while. Though I did let one of them play World of Illusion on Genesis for a minute when she discovered it. They're only 2 and a half though so they don't really get it.

giggas

On the subject of Demon's Crest.

I have the game but I've always tought it was overated. However, there is a part of me believing I haven't seen the whole game. I seem to remember it was akwardly short and the end was very bitter.

Gaf, tell me I have been lured and there is another whole game wating form me... (like Symphony inverted castle)

Well it's still a short game, but yeah you likely got the crap ending. There are two full (if I remember right) secret stages, and tons of different paths in the stages you have access to off the bat. It's an awesome game, I'd give it another shot.

Parallacs

Think long and hard before you drop $200 on Earthbound.

I don't see it ever dropping in price.

At least you can buy it, play it, and then sell it for a profit!
haha you aren't going to sell it, get real.

Thanks to this thread (and specifically this page), I just bought BioMetal :).

Yeah BioMetal is awesome! It is one of the better shooters out there. It isn't an Axelay or SMF but you will have fun.

Kainazzo

Well it's still a short game, but yeah you likely got the crap ending. There are two full (if I remember right) secret stages, and tons of different paths in the stages you have access to off the bat. It's an awesome game, I'd give it another shot.

I think there's five endings to choose from depending on what you do, and you have to enter the password from the second best ending to get the 'good' one.

Two full secret stages? I remember one, unless you're talking about
Phalanx's final form

I was always curious about that stage. It looks like it was designed for platforming, but was incomplete so they just pushed you through it. There are some spike walls and floors that are awkwardly placed and are no threat to you; it really looks unfinished.

The only disappointment about the 'good' ending, to me, was
your ultimate form was just a palette swap
. I'd worked so hard to get it! I forgive it though, Demon's Crest is definitely in my top 10 SNES list.

Think long and hard before you drop $200 on Earthbound.

Thankfully I tried that game out before and didn't care too much for it so I don't have to go down that painful road. Shame about Harvest Moon though...I'll have to focus my efforts on games that are a bit cheaper. At least LttP is reasonable.

entremet

This thread is tempting to get a SNES now. I've been sticking to VC so far. But this thread is bad news for my wallet.

Oh, Holy Christ, BioMetal. It needs to be seen to be believed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFcYzXLQYpk

The game basically shits out a digitized version of everyone's favorite jam from the 1997 smash hit, Air Bud.

I'm fucking dying here. Everyone in the office is wondering wtf is wrong with me.

I'm so backed up right now with rentals, but I decided to hook my SNES back up a few months ago and every time this thread gets bumped I just want to go home and play MMX.

terrisus

This is what happens when I type "Super Nintendo" into Craigslist:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=103&subAreaID=&query=Super+Nintendo&catAbb=sss

Stupid PSP haha.

Easy to see why though. From the description of one of them:

Play old school games from super nintendo, gameboy, and ps1 like super mario, donkey kong, pokemon, contra, megaman, killer instinct, street fighter, crash bandicoot, marvel vs capcom, mortal kombat etc. too many too list!

Top Bottom