• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Finally beat it! That last boss was really giving me grief lol. Never did like those kinds of bosses.

i4UixZJ0WapGt.jpg

Wasnt expecting such a bitter-sweet ending for a beatem up though. They usually end on a somewhat happy note...but not Ninja Warriors...

Its an old game so I guess spoilers are fine: Your character auto self-destructs once it completes the mission, and the reason why is because people were unsure if such advanced AI was a safe thing. Then on top of that, the resistance force leader that used the ninja to take down the corrupt regime (run by an alien or mutant?) becomes the president, makes an even more powerful army of advanced cyborgs, and the cycle begins again.

A revolution broke out.. and everything became to an end. The troubled country seemed to be finished by the death of the wicked machines. But the peace did not come. Because THE NINJA WARRIORS are the immortal murder machines.

<I love both the original arcade and SNES versions>

-KRS-

Hey, SnesGAF. Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I could use some help.

I've been experiencing these weirdass visual glitches with SNES games that, while they don't typically cause crashes, are still really distracting regardless and I've been continually attempting to be rid of them. They're a little hard to describe and I don't have any pictures/video footage with me at the moment, but probably the best example is how in Kirby Super Star whenever Kirby runs there's a weird morphing white box below to the right. I was wondering if this was because I left the games exposed to dust (dumb, I know), but lately I've been turning my mind around that.

I've done all the recommended solutions from cleaning the cartridge contacts with Q-tips/rubbing alcohol and the console slots with credit cards/cardboard and nothing works. I recently read that if none of the above is working, the video RAM chip inside of the console may be to blame. After purchasing A Link to the Past last year, I think this may be the case since the game only started acting up only a couple of weeks after it arrived.

So...I suppose what I'm asking here is not just an answer to the above, but how common of an issue this is. As a budding collector, I'm concerned about purchasing further games due to what happened with ALTTP. At the very least, this has taught me to get into the habit of cleaning the cartridges.

I'm guessing purchasing a new SNES would be worth less than the hassle of repairing the RAM chip or w/e, yet similar issues have been plaguing my N64 and when I purchased two separate replacements (along with more copies of SM64), the same exact issues were present. Is this some epidemic I'm not aware of or something? lol

I don't think dust or dirt from a cartridge can permanently damage the console itself. It is more likely that the hardware in the console has started going bad for one reason or another. Have you tried cleaning the cartridge connector inside the SNES? You can take an old credit card or something similar, wrap it in a microfiber cloth and have some rubbing alcohol on the cloth. Then you insert it and remove it from the connector a couple of times.

Edit: Ah shit I missed that you had tried that. Well it sounds like there's a problem with the console itself in that case. It happens unfortunately, although I don't think it's very common.

SKINNER!

Banned
So I found a reproduction copy of Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes CIB with a manual and everything on ebay. Thought this was an illegal Rom Hack that Square Enix kicked up a fuss about. Is it worth playing? I have no intention of paying silly money for a non-original cart. Did enjoy Chrono Trigger though and I've yet to play Cross.

A revolution broke out.. and everything became to an end. The troubled country seemed to be finished by the death of the wicked machines. But the peace did not come. Because THE NINJA WARRIORS are the immortal murder machines.

<I love both the original arcade and SNES versions>

Yeah, the arcade game is way more basic, but the arcade version also has a vastly superior soundtrack. Based Zuntata.

Tain

ninja warriors again spoilers? i'm out

(lol I still haven't cleared the game, just played it a bit for the 1cc when I bought it)

I just found my copy of Search for Eden that my dad bought for me years and years ago out of the bargin bin at a Wherehouse. Cover is cut up and put in a plastic case and it didn't come with the manual, and the cart is a bit grimy. Cool to have found it after all these years, though. One of my favorite games from my childhood.

This is one of my favorite games of all time. I mean, what other game even breezes over Earth's history let alone makes a lengthy RPG about it.. Sure, it's fiction (ancient race of bird men, etc), but it's heavily based on the history of life on Earth and part of its charm is squeezing in a lot of these wacky ideas and myths into the story told in the game.

The game is is a little shmeh, but the concept, and where the game takes you is unmatched.

I find it hard to believe, and yet it seems so, that most people aren't interested in this sort of thing. Personally, I'm smitten with prehistory and animals, both living and extinct.

Other favorite games: Ecco the Dolphin, Seaman.

Is EVO THAT good?

It's awesome and unlike anything you'd played. It can also be extremely difficult, so watch out.

edit:. Uhm.. So I just looked at the prices on E.V.O. ... The hell? Some of these are going for half a grand!.. Christ. You have to be kidding me.

Rich!

What's the policy on repros here? For example, if I had a japanese Mario RPG and converted it to the USA one, is that frowned upon?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What's the policy on repros here? For example, if I had a japanese Mario RPG and converted it to the USA one, is that frowned upon?

Generally, talking about repros won't get you banned. The line is certainly crossed around the time you start asking how to make bootleg copies of Earthbound to resell. Converting carts from one region to another is a grey area I'm not sure of.

Rich!

Generally, talking about repros won't get you banned. The line is certainly crossed around the time you start asking how to make bootleg copies of Earthbound to resell. Converting carts from one region to another is a grey area I'm not sure of.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. I'm just intrigued by this:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/cheaper-super-mario-rpg-cartridge/

Seems like a way to get a Super Mario RPG cart in english without paying ridiculous USA cart prices (this would cost about £15 at most). It's definitely a grey area though because whilst you have bought the JP version of the game, I guess it'd still be pirating the USA one, correct?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Seems like a way to get a Super Mario RPG cart in english without paying ridiculous USA cart prices (this would cost about £15 at most). It's definitely a grey area though because whilst you have bought the JP version of the game, I guess it'd still be pirating the USA one, correct?

Under US copyright law, yes.

Cactus

Banned
While we're on the subject of repros, does anybody own a NTSC Terranigma cart? Are there any issues with playback/build/quality?

Cactus

Banned
I'd avoid buying off ebay if you can. You can get these repros much cheaper from savepointvideogames on nintendoage

$30 shipped if you are in the US.

And all of his are high quality repros. I've bought many.
Awesome. I'll definitely consider that. Need to check the shipping cost to Canada, though.

Teknoman

Personally i think repros should be left to games that werent released in your region, language, or had a crappy translation.

Hacked versions...I dunno if they are ever worthwile.

KlotePino

Man the last two games I'm really gonna be looking for are Ninja Warriors and Adventures of Batman & Robin. Both CIB in decent condition but these are just not popping up on eBay lately :( I really want to get these two down so I can relax. Missed one right before I started searching for Ninja Warriors too. Anyway I'm gonna get to work on displaying my collection a bit better and take a picture for the community here, and maybe finally play some of these games. Boy, that would nice!

HaL64

snes_sn_propad_ctl.jpg

So I got one of these for like $6 hoping it would be a decent controller with turbo on it.
I generally stay away from 3rd party stuff, and for good reason. This controller pretty much sucks.
The D-Pad does not respond correctly to diagonals, You really have to hammer on it to get it to go diagonal. I opened and cleaned it, but didn't help.
Anyone have one of these things and can confirm its suckage?
I wonder how controllers like this make it through testing.

snes_sn_propad_ctl.jpg

So I got one of these for like $6 hoping it would be a decent controller with turbo on it.
I generally stay away from 3rd party stuff, and for good reason. This controller pretty much sucks.
The D-Pad does not respond correctly to diagonals, You really have to hammer on it to get it to go diagonal. I opened and cleaned it, but didn't help.

I had two of them as a kid. Eventually the buttons would stop responding, and the wires would get all weirdly kinked up and crap

Picked up UN Squadron yesterday for $9. First game I've picked up in awhile.

I found two CDi games at a thrift store near my work, bought them for $1.08 and took them down to the nearby classic games store I always go to. They gave me $5 store credit for them and then I asked for a shmup recommendation.

Was NOT expecting it to be so anime based on the cartridge art. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's one of those examples of a game looking very westernized for the box art when it most definitely is japanese.

Zing

Banned

This seems like an inordinate amount of effort for what is currently selling on eBay for $40 buy it now. When I see someone say "ridiculous prices", I think $100+ for cart-only, not "less than its original MSRP".

snes_sn_propad_ctl.jpg

lol, one of my 3DO pads uses that mold. It's black and gray though, not clear and multicolor.

I don't recall it being that bad, and I used it for SSF2Turbo since it has 6 buttons instead of 5 like the regular 3DO controller. One day I spilled yogurt on it and it stopped working though.

-KRS-

Just spent some time replacing the contact rubber in two of my SNES controllers. Man, what a difference. Now they're like new again. Also cleaned everything while I was at it. Damn those buttons were nasty! Especially the D-pads. I didn't have any rubbing alcohol though so I had to use some whisky instead lol.

And this is probably common knowledge, but I also noticed that the controllers seemed to be different revisions. I had never noticed it, but the L and R buttons on one of them had embossed letters instead of printed letters. And the PCB of the one with embossed letters had a brown backside and two chips on the front while the other had a green backside and only one chip. I'm guessing the one with embossed letters is the earlier one?

More than likely the embossed one is later. They did this to save money on printing.

Check the SNES Mini and SFC Junior controllers. The nintendo logo is molded plastic instead of printed too.

-KRS-

Ah I see. But they added an extra chip to the PCB in the later revision? That seems odd if they were trying to save money.

Edit: And I realize now that emboss is the wrong word. It's indented.

I posted it first on the GB thread but seen the SNES thread popping up on the subscriptions now and it kinda belongs here:

I scored a european Super Game Boy in box complete with color manual/magazine et all so I spent a little time remastering assets today:

kA7bOVI.png

9I3Onb9.png

Couldn't find the Super Game Boy logo with quality on the net so I redid it.

And scanned that last image as a bonus - there's two other interesting images in the thing so I might scan then later, no promises though.

Bar81

I posted it first on the GB thread but seen the SNES thread popping up on the subscriptions now and it kinda belongs here:

I scored a european Super Game Boy in box complete with color manual/magazine et all so I spent a little time remastering assets today:

Couldn't find the Super Game Boy logo with quality on the net so I redid it.

And scanned that last image as a bonus - there's two other interesting images in the thing so I might scan then later, no promises though.

We now have this as well:

gba-adapter-super-retro-advance-gba-to-snes.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've been looking for a GB Player as of late. How does it fare?
As far as performance goes, the only thing I know for sure is that it has a slight frame stutter. The GB/GBC/GBA and Gamecube don't run at exactly the same refresh rate, so in order to keep the speed of GB games relatively correct, I think the GBP just duplicates a frame every second or so. I'm not sure how the visuals stack up, as I only ever used it through composite cables and it's been ages since I took a good look at one in action.

The original Super Game Boy is rather notorious for speed issues as well. Instead of dropping or inserting frames though, it just flat out runs too fast. I think it's something like 61.75 fps or so. It is possible to mod the SGB to attain the correct speed. The Super Game Boy 2 is closer to the mark, but I can't say for sure if it's completely accurate or not.

As far as performance goes, the only thing I know for sure is that it has a slight frame stutter.
The Retro Advance thing right?

Stutter and not slow down? like... judder? (frames repeating?)
The GB/GBC/GBA and Gamecube don't run at exactly the same refresh rate, so in order to keep the speed of GB games relatively correct, I think the GBP just duplicates a frame every second or so. I'm not sure how the visuals stack up, as I only ever used it through composite cables and it's been ages since I took a good look at one in action.
I didn't know about this, but makes sense.
The original Super Game Boy is rather notorious for speed issues as well. Instead of dropping or inserting frames though, it just flat out runs too fast. I think it's something like 61.75 fps or so. It is possible to mod the SGB to attain the correct speed. The Super Game Boy 2 is closer to the mark, but I can't say for sure if it's completely accurate or not.
I knew about this, 2.5% faster right?

I haven't tried it yet, but I don't think I'll notice, I notice the PAL 60 to 50 hz transition pretty well but that's a 17.5 % difference. I might mod it to correct speed.

I hope I can take the time to take a few photos and post them tomorrow, I was looking for a cheap unit for months but then and all of a sudden it appeared a unit complete with box and manuals, super game boy still in plastic bag et all. 30 euros. Had to go for it.

Worth every penny.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is anybody here familiar with the two big Zelda hacks, Goddess of Wisdom and Parallel Worlds? Are they any good?

A friend I know owns Hagane complete in box...*drools*...

Anywho, he let me play it hard as hell but really fun! I like the dark aesthetics too!

I've come to the concession there is no chance in hell I will probably ever own a CIB or cart copy otherwise of that game :(

Are there any games that are seemingly impossible for you guys to acquire (aka what i your ultimate dream game to find/possess and play?)

Rich!

Is anybody here familiar with the two big Zelda hacks, Goddess of Wisdom and Parallel Worlds? Are they any good?

I was involved in the production of Parallel Worlds (Music and a bit of coding). The first release was unfairly hard to the point of frustration. The remodel version is good.

Top Bottom