• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

So my 'new' SNES looks like complete ass on my HTDV via composite (no S-Video on this set). I don't have the room for a CRT until next year, so it looks like suffering or upscaling.

I'm leaning towards the XRGB-Mini, but had a question about RGB to HDMI adapters. Has anyone tried these, and are the results truly not worth the trouble? TIA.

I bought this one from Amazon. Overall I'm really happy with it. I use it for my SNES and Genesis and soon NES once I get my NESRGB installed. The output is great on my HDTV and I don't notice much lag if any. It's got a ton of output options like resolution, 50/60hz and aspect ration. My one complaint is that I get a lot screen tearing and a small bit of lag when I set it to full 1080p 60Hz. It's not a big deal since my tv supports 1024 x 768 which I think is 4:3. Going all the way up to 1080p doesn't make much of a difference anyways. It's a really nice budget alternative to the XRGB mini especially if you don't care about scanlines.

So my 'new' SNES looks like complete ass on my HTDV via composite (no S-Video on this set). I don't have the room for a CRT until next year, so it looks like suffering or upscaling.

I'm leaning towards the XRGB-Mini, but had a question about RGB to HDMI adapters. Has anyone tried these, and are the results truly not worth the trouble? TIA.

XRGB-mini FRAMEMEISTER is going to be one of my big purchases this year... I like how games look through it. Once I get it I'll be done with crt forever.

I bought this one from Amazon. Overall I'm really happy with it. I use it for my SNES and Genesis and soon NES once I get my NESRGB installed. The output is great on my HDTV and I don't notice much lag if any. It's got a ton of output options like resolution, 50/60hz and aspect ration. My one complaint is that I get a lot screen tearing and a small bit of lag when I set it to full 1080p 60Hz. It's not a big deal since my tv supports 1024 x 768 which I think is 4:3. Going all the way up to 1080p doesn't make much of a difference anyways. It's a really nice budget alternative to the XRGB mini especially if you don't care about scanlines.

Wow, that was quick! I'm assuming this requires a Euro-SCART cable (and not a JP21), right?

Mercutio

I had this unit, and it was absolutely awful. It doesn't touch the XRGB, and frankly I thought the basic composites on my TV were better looking. I found it a good deal blurrier than composite when in motion. I'd say save the $60 and just put it toward the XRGB later on.

But yeah, it takes Euro-SCART. Not Japanese RGB 21.

I had this unit, and it was absolutely awful. It doesn't touch the XRGB, and frankly I thought the basic composites on my TV were better looking. I found it a good deal blurrier than composite when in motion. I'd say save the $60 and just put it toward the XRGB later on.

But yeah, it takes Euro-SCART. Not Japanese RGB 21.

That's odd. I've played a ton of Sonic 2 on the thing and I never really noticed any blurring in motion. Could just be a product of the higher resolutions.

Mercutio

That's odd. I've played a ton of Sonic 2 on the thing and I never really noticed any blurring in motion. Could just be a product of the higher resolutions.

I could simply be more sensitive to certain video effects, I'm not sure. I think it's a useful product if one wants to make a digital signal out of an SCART, but in no way shape or form does it do what the XRGB Mini does, with or without scanlines.

i got the lekeng unit off of ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/181021770599?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

works pretty great with no noticeable lag. and yes it accepts SCART connections

it outputs everything in 16:9 though. i put it back to 4:3 on my tv, so if your TV does not have the feature everything will be stuck in 16:9

long term plans are an xrgb-mini, this thing does not touch it but good to hold you over if you want to get a cheapo upconverter and all the required RGB cables/RGB mods if needed, then grab a framemeister later

I bought this exact unit along with SCART cables a month ago and can confidently say for the CASUAL (which I would consider myself when it comes to up-scaling/converters currently) I enjoy the unit alot! You will indeed see vibrant colors pop in HD but there are a few negatives I and some others discovered about the device:

1. "Smearing"

2. Purported input lag (DEPENDS ON SETUP/Display)

(Quote is my post back in the Neo Geo thread)

1. There is definitely "smearing" (More like smoothing too me), which isn't that distracting when I'm focusing on character sprites tbh but yes that is definitely a flaw of the converter, though, again, every game I have tested I have yet to see such an extreme case as Mega Man as depicted in his video. Here's some terrible quality iPhone screen pics that show the smearing in motion during Mario.

Still

mariostill_zpsf9c5c588.jpeg

(Look at the line patterns on the wall. Pixelated as intended)

In motion

marioinmotion_zps82d475b7.jpeg

(You can see now the line patterns pixelated edges have been smoothed as the converter chugs to process pixel perfect detail)

2. And about input lag, again I wouldn't consider myself an expert, nor do i have any quantifiable measures yet, and I do plan on performing that test in the video for my own results, but if there is any lag I ( as well as the completely anecdotal evidence of a few buddies in couch coop matches) have yet to notice it (its minimal compared to the vids results for certain) while playing fighting games (Samurai Showdown, KOF 95) as well as platformers (tested mega man x, super mario, super metroid, no problems). But I'll look into testing it on my devices. The video quality is undeniably pretty impressive for me nonetheless, I'm enjoying it!

If you want more info watch this video by Adam Koralik and another video which depicts the flaws, as well as individual results of this youtuber. NOTE: I have yet to see any input lag nor any extreme smearing as depicted in the latter video with megaman but I think it really depends on your display (which mine is a Vizio monitor I've had for a few years). All in all for the price as an intermediary/temporary solution I'd most definitely recommend it!

Mercutio

I bought this exact unit along with SCART cables a month ago and can confidently say for the CASUAL (which I would consider myself when it comes to up-scaling/converters currently) I enjoy the unit alot! You will indeed see vibrant colors pop in HD but there are a few negatives I and some others discovered about the device:

1. "Smearing"

2. Purported input lag (DEPENDS ON SETUP/Display)

(Quote is my post back in the Neo Geo thread)

If you want more info watch this video by Adam Koralik and another video which depicts the flaws, as well as individual results of this youtuber. NOTE: I have yet to see any input lag nor any extreme smearing as depicted in the latter video with megaman but I think it really depends on your display (which mine is a Vizio monitor I've had for a few years). All in all for the price as an intermediary/temporary solution I'd most definitely recommend it!

This is exactly what I was seeing on the unit. I used it for a month or two and the smearing really got under my skin.

The XRGB, on the other hand, is pixel perfect in motion. Complete night and day. It's expensive, absolutely, but nothing else does what it does... and as TVs drop in price, just imagine them subtracting the cost of this kind of processing from their build costs. No consumer needs this kind of upscaling anymore, but I've noticed my older Toshiba is worlds better than my newer Panasonic. And the Panasonic is a production plasma that is worlds more expensive than the Toshiba.

-KRS-

Today there's a Super Bomberman tournament at the local retro-game themed restaurant here. I'm not that good at Bomberman but it'll be fun anyway i hope. :)
The guy who owns the restaurant is actually borrowing my Super Famicom for it since it's a SFC Super Bomberman and he only has PAL systems with converters/adapters. So I offered to lend him mine.

Newly organized collection. I've held off on buying any more UGCs while waiting to see how the BitBoxes turn out:

Real nice looking!

-KRS-

Haha yeah that's definitely a risk. But they're usually fine when I've played on them. It's not like people play while they eat, so I'd hope that they would go and wash their hands after eating. But I guess that's putting a bit too much faith in people...

I will say that while I'm lending my SFC to the guy, I'm not lending him my controllers. :p

-KRS-

Placed fourth in the Super Bomberman tournament, which awarded me 5 free credits in any arcade/pinball machine. I put them all in the Whitewater pinball machine. :D

Camjo-Z

So I've owned a SNES for years and only just today did I realize that I could use my GC/N64 AV cables to hook it up instead of that annoying RF cable...

Also, figure this is as good a place as any to ask: I bought Shigesato Itoi's No.1 Bass Fishing ages ago, but I haven't been able to get it to work. It's got a little Super Game Boy-ish port on the top, so I'm wondering if there's some extra thing that I need to put in there to to play it, or if my cart's just a dud.

-KRS-

Hmm no idea, but I'd think that if it needed that it would at least start up and say something to that effect. I'm assuming you're playing it on a Super Famicom or US SNES right? Because it won't work on PAL machines without converters.

But maybe the actual software is on the little extra cart and the big cart is only like a passthrough adapter or something. Hopefully someone else might know more about them.

Teknoman

Any one used a hauppage hd pvr? Found one for cheap at a thrift store, but not sure how well it would work with snes via component (through the scart converter of course) or even nes via rca.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Any one used a hauppage hd pvr? Found one for cheap at a thrift store, but not sure how well it would work with snes via component (through the scart converter of course) or even nes via rca.
Most livestreamers I know who have used that device have a pretty poor opinion of it. Audio sync issues can be problematic with it and I'm not even sure if it would work with an SNES. Make sure it works with 240p/480i sources if you're interested in it.

Teknoman

Most livestreamers I know who have used that device have a pretty poor opinion of it. Audio sync issues can be problematic with it and I'm not even sure if it would work with an SNES. Make sure it works with 240p/480i sources if you're interested in it.

I'll read up abit on it then.

Also Strafefox of Splash Wave channel fame has done an SNES music tech video similar to his Genesis sound tech video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC50GvqmHi4

Ultima_5

Picked up earthbound. Final fantasy 2/3, secret of mana and star fox today. Expensive but worth it I'll try to get a pic for tomorrow

RaoulDuke

Hey Guys,

A friend is helping me sell this on eBay. Exertainment: Speed Racer & Mountain Bike Rally
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161323141744?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I picked it up at a Nintendo garage sale probably 10 years ago and its been sitting in a box ever since. I had no idea it was worth anything till I dug the box out randomly to see what was in there. Turns out its one of the most rare Snes games out there.

Well it sold today for 935 bucks! crazy! Now i can afford new PC parts and a WiiU.

Bar81

Do any of these replacement cases out there accommodate instruction booklets as well?

There's plenty of space but they'll be loose. What I used to do was put them in a decapitated ziplock bag to prevent wear when they move around.

-KRS-

Got some US SNES games today:
Pitfall
Smartball
Firepower 2000

Pitfall and Smartball were really cheap, and I basically threw them in because the seller had a "buy 3, get 10% off" offer going. Smartball was $1.50 and Pitfall was $2.30 with the 10% off. Firepower 2000 was a little more expensive. Paid $12 for it with the offer, but it seems that it usually goes for a little more than that, so still not too bad.

And yesterday I got some SFC games:
Garou Densetsu: Special
Kirby Bowl
Tetris Battle Gaiden

I still haven't completely understood how you use the powers in Tetris, but it's been fun anyway lol. GD:S seems like a pretty good port of the game.

All these games were cart only.

The fuck?

Too bad they don't have anything I want, I wanted to sign up just because this idea seems insane to me.

These guys are doing a similar thing but you can buy their games, too.

http://videogameexperiment.com/

Some of their prices are high, some of them are pretty fair. They definitely let some obscure stuff slip through the cracks, though--picked up some pretty legitimately hard to find PS1 games and longboxes for way under going rate.

Shining

Anyone in Europe got any experience with Canada surface mail? I've been waiting for a package to arrive for more than 5 weeks now. It should take between 4-6 weeks so there's still hope, but i have never waited this long for a package to arrive before. That poor CIB Ninja Warriors. And poor me :(

I've heard horror stories about surface mail taking up to 3 months tho..

Dishwalla

Banned
. Firepower 2000 was a little more expensive. Paid $12 for it with the offer, but it seems that it usually goes for a little more than that, so still not too bad.
I bought a CIB copy of this the other day for $25. I got it because of a Mike Matei video, and I figured 25 bucks was a pretty good deal.

Almond

I have a question! Is there a safer way to try and remove a video store rental label from the SNES cart artwork label? I'm scared to try using any kind of cleaner or liquid on it like I've read. Does using a hair dryer really work well?

HaL64

I bought a CIB copy of this the other day for $25. I got it because of a Mike Matei video, and I figured 25 bucks was a pretty good deal.

Friend of mine's video game store recently got in EVO, Hagane, Knights of the Round all for "good" prices. But they would never be the price they are without Mike Matei.

-KRS-

How did Mike influence the prices?

I don't remember if those other games are in that particular video, but he made a top 10 obscure SNES games, and NES as well, and Firepower was featured in the SNES one. And cinemassacre has a lot of followers. Prices definitely went up on a lot of the games featured after that video.

I don't remember if those other games are in that particular video, but he made a top 10 obscure SNES games, and NES as well, and Firepower was featured in the SNES one. And cinemassacre has a lot of followers. Prices definitely went up on a lot of the games featured after that video.

EVO wasn't, the rest were. Here are the top 10 from his video in order:

His video came out in July, and you can see every single game immediately jumped up in price that month. Loose prices under each games cover art are the current prices according to price charting.

Interesting note, though, Hagane had already jumped in price hugely the month before going from $89 in May to $220 in June. Don't know what the fuck happened there.

And, yes, I know price charting isn't the most accurate thing, but it's all we have.

Top Bottom