• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Krammy

What's the rule on asking about reproduction carts?

If it's against the rules, let me know and I'll whisk this post away. If allowed, I'm interested in finding a Rockman & Forte reproduction with the English patch. I see NintendoAge get thrown around a lot here, but I don't really want to wait for one to pop up? Is there a place with more constant production of reproduction carts, or is it really just playing the waiting game?

EDIT: While I'm at it, what should I expect regarding battery saves on reproduction carts? Is this going to be like bootleg games where it's lazily soldered in and will break quickly?

One of my favorites on the console. I remember renting this when i was about 5 years old or so. I kept renting it over and over again, and then when i was about 23 i bought a boxed copy. This game still holds up people! And looks fantastic!

Also its one of my favorite shows ever so take what i say with a grain of salt.

This is exactly what me and my brother as kids did in the UK. a company used to come to our house with snes games and rent them to us.
Bought it boxed a while ago.
I really liked the american football stage.
It was really short though :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

If it's against the rules, let me know and I'll whisk this post away. If allowed, I'm interested in finding a Rockman & Forte reproduction with the English patch. I see NintendoAge get thrown around a lot here, but I don't really want to wait for one to pop up? Is there a place with more constant production of reproduction carts, or is it really just playing the waiting game?

EDIT: While I'm at it, what should I expect regarding battery saves on reproduction carts? Is this going to be like bootleg games where it's lazily soldered in and will break quickly?

OCDReproductions.com has good stuff.

This list is a great resource for where to find repro carts.

Personally, the only repro I have is an English version of Sailor Moon: Another Story that I got from www.gamereproductions.com way back in the day. The list on NA has some really high quality stuff.

Lettuce

In anyone's eyes that isn't blind (but I take it you mean Assault Suits Valken since Cybernator is horribly bastardized compared to the JP version, but even so, miles better than MW).

Hmm might have to look in the JPN version, what different? Is there Assault Suit Valken with English sub??

Been a while since I was into repros, but this guy in Nintendo Age is pretty awesome. Does them for $30 or 3 for $75. That's pretty much as good as it gets price wise and his labels are awesome.

Hmm some of those have my attention...not sure its worth it though if i have a flashcart. But the Metroid games, Oh no more Zombies ate my neighbors and F-Zero GP have tweaked my interest

I wish Time Walk Games didn't stop making games. Having full cases and manuals is something I really wanted.

Guess I wish more that I got off my ass and pulled the trigger on the games I wanted from them before they closed.

Bar81

Hmm might have to look in the JPN version, what different? Is there Assault Suit Valken with English sub??

The changes (courtesy of Hardcore Gaming 101 since I'm too lazy to type it all):

Konami published this title in North America under the name Cybernator. For some reason, they removed the portraits by the dialogue (even though they still appear unaltered in the intro) and significant chunks of text. including several supporting characters, and a hidden message after the credits. It's a bit lame, considering the character designs were provided by Satoshi Urushihara, who also did Masaya's Langrisser series. One scene was removed completely, where your mech flies into an office and meets up with a corporate official, who proceeds to take out a pistol and blow his pixellated little head off. Obviously such brutal suicide would not have gone over well with the censors at Nintendo of America.

The good news is that gamers have translated ASV and you can play the proper game through a patched ROM if you have an Everdrive or the like or through a repro (lmk if you need this - I have some repros going on the block for the SNES and Genny soon and that's one of them, BUT I'm international).

Does anyone have any advice for an EU resident getting into SFC collecting? The SNES options in PAL territories are pretty lacklustre and I'd like to try my hand at collecting JPN SFC Carts but I'm pretty clueless. Any good resources with this information? I tried to search the thread but got lost. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bar81

Does anyone have any advice for an EU resident getting into SFC collecting? The SNES options in PAL territories are pretty lacklustre and I'd like to try my hand at collecting JPN SFC Carts but I'm pretty clueless. Any good resources with this information? I tried to search the thread but got lost. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What do you need to know? Names of games? Where to shop? Something else?

What do you need to know? Names of games? Where to shop? Something else?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Mostly where to shop and any idea how much delivery will sting me importing from Japan? I've bought modern stuff from PlayAsia a lot in the past and it's usually not bad unless I get hit by customs, which I always do.

Bar81

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Mostly where to shop and any idea how much delivery will sting me importing from Japan? I've bought modern stuff from PlayAsia a lot in the past and it's usually not bad unless I get hit by customs, which I always do.

Can't really help you on customs, someone in your location will be able to advise. When I go SFC shopping, I shop at three places (although there are private boards where prices might be cheaper but the pickings tend to be slim - like www.neo-geo.com, www.shmups.com and www.nintendoage.com:

(1) Yahoo Japan. Generally a good selection but pictures are shit (typically very small and piss poor quality so you're going on faith most times) but the sellers are generally honest and will point out major faults - but if you're picky about condition be careful. Requires you to use a proxy agent to bid (which means you can't ask the seller questions) and typically adds about least $20-30 to the price of each game in fees.

(2) Ebay. Prices in the stratosphere for anything remotely desirable but good buyer protection and you can ask the seller (if they care) for more pics, etc.

(3) videogameimports.com My favorite video game seller - great to deal with and very accomodating. Just got some nice classic SFC games that will be listed shortly (Mario Kart, F-Zero, Axelay, etc.)

-KRS-

Check local auction sites if you have any where you're at. Famicom and Super Famicom games tend to be very cheap there if there's anyone selling them. For example on the local auction site here in Sweden there are two stores which regularly sell Japanese games, and since most collectors here want PAL SCN releases there's not much interest in Japanese releases. So the Japanese games are priced accordingly.

For the more obscure/unknown titles I also look on ebay. But yeah as mentioned if it's anything popular the prices will be high, though if you're patient and wait for auctions you can still make some good deals sometimes. It also depends a bit on your local currency and how it compares to USD. For example Americans might feel that $25 is a bit much for a certain SFC cart, but for me that's ~160 SEK which is not very much at all compared to PAL prices on the local auction site. And shipping from Japan luckily tends to be very cheap. It's sometimes even cheaper shipping a cart from Japan than it is within Sweden.

There's also Rakuten which often have better prices than ebay, although many sellers don't seem to accept Paypal. Haven't bought anything there yet myself but the prices on certain games there have definitely had me interested at times. http://global.rakuten.com/en/category/101205/

And if you have any local stores that sell retro games they might sometimes have Japanese or US games as well, although that's very hit or miss depending on the store. And prices in most local stores, at least over here, can be pretty bad too. But it can be an option sometimes so it's worth checking out at least.

Pickups from SRGE this weekend:

Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle (SNES, cart only) : $9
Super Metroid (SFC, complete) : $38
Dragon Quest III (SFC, cart only) : $10
A miserable cold (Human, complete) : $0

lM6STHt.jpg
Finally, finally found my Holy Grail.

After years of searching; I think I started in 2002!

It's in amazing condition, and you can tell it was well taken care of. I've only ever seen one other copy in the wild on eBay, and I was outbid around $140.

TnK

Is it worth buying a modded model 2 snes for s-video output, and is the video clarity that much worth it? If so, where can I get one? I just need the system and power brick.

It's in amazing condition, and you can tell it was well taken care of. I've only ever seen one other copy in the wild on eBay, and I was outbid around $140.

Dat Jeremy Soule. Cool beans.

HaL64

(3) videogameimports.com My favorite video game seller - great to deal with and very accomodating. Just got some nice classic SFC games that will be listed shortly (Mario Kart, F-Zero, Axelay, etc.)

Just checked this place out.
Prices seem way over ebay, or am I missing something?

Rock solid. How much did you end up paying for this one?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Aww c'mon, man. You can't spill the beans on the best kept secret of import game buying like that.

I've been using the store for the last 5 years. If you don't want people bullshitting you about the condition of a game, or are looking for something pretty hard to get ahold of, they can hook you up every now and then. They're expensive, yes, but as we've all learned the hard way at one point or another: you get what you pay for.

Bar81

If you don't want people bullshitting you about the condition of a game, or are looking for something pretty hard to get ahold of, they can hook you up every now and then. They're expensive, yes, but as we've all learned the hard way at one point or another: you get what you pay for.

Pretty much.

TnK

Guess I will ask again:
Where can I buy a modded 1CHIP SNES? I would love to get one, but can't solder at all. Plus, my friend told me that making mistakes with soldering may really damage the stuff you have.

Peagles

Guess I will ask again:
Where can I buy a modded 1CHIP SNES? I would love to get one, but can't solder at all. Plus, my friend told me that making mistakes with soldering may really damage the stuff you have.

Modded how? A regular 1CHIP SNES or a Mini? There are plenty of professional modding services around and also reputable members of NeoGAF who will mod for you or sell pre-modded units on occasion.

TnK

Modded how? A regular 1CHIP SNES or a Mini? There are plenty of professional modding services around and also reputable members of NeoGAF who will mod for you or sell pre-modded units on occasion.
1CHIP SNES is the one with improved picture quality, or in other words the mini, correct? Unless I am wrong and all. I tried searching for different SNES models (besides the mini), and couldn't get clear info.

Is buying a modded snes mini system only with power brick expensive?

1CHIP SNES is the one with improved picture quality, or in other words the mini, correct? Unless I am wrong and all. I tried searching for different SNES models (besides the mini), and couldn't get clear info.

What is normally being referenced when saying 1chip is a motherboard revision of the standard SNES. It doesn't require modding for RGB. People make claims both ways for it's picture quality. The snes mini would just be referred to as the snes mini, and does require modding for RGB support. I'm told a modded snes mini has the best picture quality and isn't effected by a sort of "white line/glow" that is noticeable down the middle of the screen on dark images of the standard SNES when using RGB. I don't have one and have never seen one in person to verify that, but it is the claim. I have also heard people claim that certain games had odd things happen visually on a modded snes mini, but once again, have never seen it.

As for expensive, probably, depending on what you consider expensive. Just checking ebay has rgb modded ones going from like $80-over $100.

Peagles

There are original SNES systems that are 1CHIP, which we were released later on, and in addition, all model 2 (Mini/Jr) systems are 1CHIP.

I guess by modding you mean RGB modding and not region modding? The original systems do not need modding as they support RGB out of the box. The model 2s however do need modding in order to get RGB video output.

I live in New Zealand and we never got the model 2 SNES here, so they are expensive for me to import. I see a few on eBay... but they'd likely be cheaper via gaf or other forums.

An original SNES 1CHIP is likely to be cheaper but you have to do some hunting to get one by checking serial numbers and stickers. I can help you with this if you want an original one, just let me know.

TnK

What is normally being referenced when saying 1chip is a motherboard revision of the standard SNES. It doesn't require modding for RGB. People make claims both ways for it's picture quality. The snes mini would just be referred to as the snes mini, and does require modding for RGB support. I'm told a modded snes mini has the best picture quality and isn't effected by a sort of "white line/glow" that is noticeable down the middle of the screen on dark images of the standard SNES when using RGB. I don't have one and have never seen one in person to verify that, but it is the claim. I have also heard people claim that certain games had odd things happen visually on a modded snes mini, but once again, have never seen it.

As for expensive, probably, depending on what you consider expensive. Just checking ebay has rgb modded ones going from like $80-over $100.

There are original SNES systems that are 1CHIP, which we were released later on, and in addition, all model 2 (Mini/Jr) systems are 1CHIP.

I guess by modding you mean RGB modding and not region modding? The original systems do not need modding as they support RGB out of the box. The model 2s however do need modding in order to get RGB video output.

I live in New Zealand and we never got the model 2 SNES here, so they are expensive for me to import. I see a few on eBay... but they'd likely be cheaper via gaf or other forums.

An original SNES 1CHIP is likely to be cheaper but you have to do some hunting to get one by checking serial numbers and stickers. I can help you with this if you want an original one, just let me know.
Actually, I want a modded mini for S-video. My CRT TV does not support RGB, unless there is an RGB to Component converter with excellent picture quality out there, then RGB is also an option. I will check the serial number of the SNES I own and then post here. I may have the 1CHIP version without me knowing, though my SNES does have the white light beam in the middle.

I hope someone responds that can tell you the supposed downsides to the 1-chip revisions since I'm not really clear on them. Also I am sure there are differences between the standard 1chip console and a rgb/svideo modded mini snes, but not sure about the specific details. Think it has something to do with the rgb amp inside the standard console, and you can bypass it to get the same quality of a modded mini, but once again, not positive.

As for s video, much like rgb, the standard SNES already supports it but the mini would need it modded in.

Lettuce

Hmmm im not sure its worth getting a mini if its just going to be for S-Video and the Tv doesnt actually support RGB. In this case any SNES revision would do

Actually, I want a modded mini for S-video. My CRT TV does not support RGB, unless there is an RGB to Component converter with excellent picture quality out there, then RGB is also an option. I will check the serial number of the SNES I own and then post here. I may have the 1CHIP version without me knowing, though my SNES does have the white light beam in the middle.

Top Bottom