• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

IrishNinja

i've no doubt, but $200 incredible? i'm just saying, it's a shame you didn't pick something like NBA Jam or Spawn or something, your life would've been easier, heh

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
i've no doubt, but $200 incredible? i'm just saying, it's a shame you didn't pick something like NBA Jam or Spawn or something, your life would've been easier, heh

I'll do it in a blaze of glory type thing in the dumbest way possible. Like buy a US version while in Japan for a hyper inflated price while tigers roar majestically in the background and cheerleaders fight ninjas who are on fire.

It'll be totally worth it.

smbu2000

I'll do it in a blaze of glory type thing in the dumbest way possible. Like buy a US version while in Japan for a hyper inflated price while tigers roar majestically in the background and cheerleaders fight ninjas who are on fire.

It'll be totally worth it.
It just depends on where you look. I'm in Japan and I picked up the US version of Wild Guns (cart only) for just over 6,000 yen not too long ago. The cart is in good condition as well. The price I paid seems pretty cheap compared to how much it goes for in the US. ;-p

(Pic here)
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=47835889&postcount=1497

IrishNinja

^excellent shape...again i'm hoping for a deal on Pocky & Rocky but man that one ain't cheap. did Natsume titles see little circulation, or what?

Shining

Finally bought the real deal version of Super Castlevania IV:

igcZDrW.jpg

Love the game, had the US version already... but I wanted the uncensored version. So I'm glad I finally got around to buying this.

Did another playthrough this weekend. The soundtrack is so good.

US Hagane spotted on Swedish auction site described as "rareshit" lol: http://www.tradera.com/hagane-komplett-rareshit-auktion_301513_179476345

smbu2000

^excellent shape...again i'm hoping for a deal on Pocky & Rocky but man that one ain't cheap. did Natsume titles see little circulation, or what?

Darn those games are so tough, especially the first one. I remember I had a CIB copy of the first one for the longest and never played it lol.

IrishNinja

ah good call, added!

Well they are good games and they seem to constantly be in demand, especially for CIB copies. That's why I eventually ended up picking up loose carts of Pocky & Rocky 1 and 2. (SFC versions) They are fun to play.(quite hard as well)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52987647&postcount=4149

Darn those games are so tough, especially the first one. I remember I had a CIB copy of the first one for the longest and never played it lol.

maaan if ya'll see a loose cart of 1 for a fair price lemme know! i debated SFC but i wanna understand the silly story too.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, Wrecking Crew '98, and R-Type III from JapanGameSource. That should about do it for now.

Parallacs

Just ordered Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, Wrecking Crew '98, and R-Type III from JapanGameSource. That should about do it for now.

I hear Macross is an amazing shmup. You should have fun!

I think I have almost completed my NA shmup collection. I am curious about getting into the SFam ones but still feel like tearing out the tabs on my SNES would somehow hex it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I hear Macross is an amazing shmup. You should have fun!

I think I have almost completed my NA shmup collection. I am curious about getting into the SFam ones but still feel like tearing out the tabs on my SNES would somehow hex it.
Could always get a Game Genie or some other converter! Or buy a beautiful Super Famicom. I'd prefer to do the latter but I don't have the money or room for now.

I'm down to 20 on my US want list if I exclude Wild Guns, which I'll probably get for SFC instead, and my SFC want list is about 25 if I exclude the two games I'll likely never be willing to spend the money on (Undercover Cops & Rendering Ranger R2). Most of those are pretty reasonably priced (most expensive SFC is Dracula XX, most expensive US is probably Lufia 1?), so I'll probably spread them out a couple every month or something. I should probably get those last 10 Dreamcast games I want too...

List is here if anyone wants to look.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm still waffling as to whether or not I should buy Dracula XX. I have the PC Engine game, so saying "go buy the PC Engine game" won't exactly help the decision making process. I mean, it's still a solid Castlevania, right? Just... not as good as the rill dill Dracula X. I liked the brief bit of it that I played.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard it's kind of a weird port/remix, so I think I'll probably give it a shot. I can buy a cart only version for $50 on eBay now and I'm probably willing to pay about that much... but I may wait to find it for a bit cheaper. Or at least wait until I finish Majyuuou.

Parallacs

I'm still waffling as to whether or not I should buy Dracula XX. I have the PC Engine game, so saying "go buy the PC Engine game" won't exactly help the decision making process. I mean, it's still a solid Castlevania, right? Just... not as good as the rill dill Dracula X. I liked the brief bit of it that I played.

Edit: Sorry, thought you were talking about Dracula X, not XX. I have no idea.

Edit 2: I guess that is what Dracula-X is called in Japan.

My original post is valid then: I love it. It really gets crapped on, despite being an awesome game.

Danny Dudekisser

Edit: Sorry, thought you were talking about Dracula X, not XX. I have no idea.

Edit 2: I guess that is what Dracula-X is called in Japan.

My original post is valid then: I love it. It really gets crapped on, despite being an awesome game.

Interesting. Realistically, I'll probably just go ahead and buy it. Come to think of it, I remember wanting to get this game back... oh God... uh... 8 years ago? I was a junior in high school, and I was getting back into old-school shit, and I remembered being unreasonably optimistic and going to GameCrazy and hoping they'd have a copy. Nope. Even back then, all stores with "retro" stock had were a bunch of shitty sports games. Sigh.

I really wish that we'd developed the same sort of retro gaming culture that Japan did.

bomer

Question: gaming on a low resolution projector? HDTV makes composite cable consoles look pretty garbagey, in particular nes/snes. Would it be worth it to get a cheap LED low resolution projector, or will the size of the pixels projected on a wall just make it garbage. Anyone done such a thing?

Better off spending a grand on a full HD one or would it just look worse as a HDTV does, or should I not bother and pickup and old CRT on council cleanup. I did have a nice 26" or so but it was pushing a 80kg and way to inconvenient to store.

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wh...s_Home_Theater/Digital_TV_Recording_Projector

Danny Dudekisser

Question: gaming on a low resolution projector? HDTV makes composite cable consoles look pretty garbagey, in particular nes/snes. Would it be worth it to get a cheap LED low resolution projector, or will the size of the pixels projected on a wall just make it garbage. Anyone done such a thing?

Better off spending a grand on a full HD one or would it just look worse as a HDTV does, or should I not bother and pickup and old CRT on council cleanup. I did have a nice 26" or so but it was pushing a 80kg and way to inconvenient to store.

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wh...s_Home_Theater/Digital_TV_Recording_Projector

My experience with cheap projectors with low resolutions is that they look like crap with anything. I'd go for a nice projector, and nab an XRGB to go with it. Should be immaculate.

Parallacs

Interesting. Realistically, I'll probably just go ahead and buy it. Come to think of it, I remember wanting to get this game back... oh God... uh... 8 years ago? I was a junior in high school, and I was getting back into old-school shit, and I remembered being unreasonably optimistic and going to GameCrazy and hoping they'd have a copy. Nope. Even back then, all stores with "retro" stock had were a bunch of shitty sports games. Sigh.

I really wish that we'd developed the same sort of retro gaming culture that Japan did.

Yeah haha. I'll admit that my SNES sat in my parent's garage from 1999 to 2008.

I couldn't link earlier at work, but in my terrible opinion, the soundtrack for the SNES version of Dracula-X is so much better than the PC-Engine. I would rather have funky than CD quality:

Bloodlines (so good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LuFBlUNoRY
vs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR0UjAQIX6E

Slash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nBOkff9Ocs
vs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ItPvmNMag

Bloody Tears is amazing. The heart-beats sound amazing on the TV compared to youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvxUamQSknM

Vampire Killer is much better on PC-Engine though lol.

Regardless, the game is a masterpiece of graphics for the SNES. It also has one of the most challenging Dracula fights ever. It makes Rondo of Blood look like a cakewalk.

Back in the late 90s, I used to fire up the game, press start and listen to the first stage music looping for an hour or so while I was reading video game magazines on my bed, lol. I did that with Castlevania 4's first stage song as well.

I agree with all that you have said about Castlevania Dracula X, though I love the PC Engine's soundtrack as well. Rondo of Blood is the superior game, but I have a soft spot for the SNES version - so much so that I even recorded the three "endings" with my VCR! it is also different enough to warrant a purchase (those graphics are indeed amazing, especially on SNES - that totally flew under the radar of reviewers back then).

Danny Dudekisser

I think I actually like the SNES version of Bloodlines more than the PC Engine version. Dunno. It's some great music, either way.

It's pretty nitpicky, but I feel like Richter walks so slow in SNES Dracula XX compared to the PCE original. Were they trying a throwback to the NES games?

Jhriad

Just noticed that Pricecharting has added a separate value for Complete/CIB now. Of course the actual value they have for most games is off considerably. Typically higher than average. Just the same old schtick I suppose. Keep on driving those prices up fellas.

IrishNinja

fuck yeah, castlevania musics!

It's pretty nitpicky, but I feel like Richter walks so slow in SNES Dracula XX compared to the PCE original. Were they trying a throwback to the NES games?

i never played the PCE one, so i guess i'm free from this perception...but yeah, he does move NES tanky, which is great for me, even if i never manage to finish these games

LostAnkh

Texas is so dead right now, I can't find ANYTHING worth my time. Craigslist and Ebay are my only options, unless Traders Village can scrounge up something good.

Parallacs

Texas is so dead right now, I can't find ANYTHING worth my time. Craigslist and Ebay are my only options, unless Traders Village can scrounge up something good.

I got Turtles IV from Trader's Village for $5. That was pretty much the extent of my non-eBay collecting when I lived in Houston. I feel bad for you man.

LostAnkh

I got Turtles IV from Trader's Village for $5. That was pretty much the extent of my non-eBay collecting when I lived in Houston. I feel bad for you man.
The only note worthy thing I got from there, was Ghosts 'N Goblins. There's a guy with a game shop there that sold it to me, and I'm hoping my next visit will net some good stuff because he told me he gets stuff on a monthly basis.

Teknoman

Check out Family Thrift Store (stay away from the outlets though, those are clothing only). You never know what you'll find there. Also this place in Alvin called All Star games (really small shop). If you're hitting up flea markets, check anywhere with electronics, even just old vcrs stacked up haphazardly.

I recall reading (maybe in this thread... or was it Nintedo Age?) that they were out of the biz, or something. That was a month or so ago, I believe.

Really I swear I had just gotten an email at the start of this month about new products, but maybe I'm crazy

UPDATE: Never mind they updated there front page, they are temporarily closed to catch up on order.

Jhriad

Been having the same problems in my area of Texas. Craigslist is barely used here which is weird since the area has 170,000 people. I'd think that many people would put up more on Craigslist than they do. I did have luck in San Antonio. I picked up a Sega CD with Genesis Model 1 attached that happened to have Shining Force CD inside for $14. Also found Uncharted Waters: New Horizons CIB on the Genesis for $15 at a different indoor flea market in SA. Not an amazing deal but it was a reasonable price and I love that game so I figured I might as well.

I'll even stop at Goodwill while I'm travelling around but it seems like all of them are shipping their stuff off to be auctioned so I'm not sure if they're worth bothering with anymore. Really wish I'd gotten into collecting a decade ago when it wasn't so damn difficult to find older stuff at good prices. That and I wish I hadn't thrown out the mint boxes for Lufia I&II, FF6, Secret of Mana, etc. when I moved a few years back. Silly me, I never thought that there were other weirdos like me out there that might put value on the boxes.

Zing

Banned
Back in the late 90s, I used to fire up the game, press start and listen to the first stage music looping for an hour or so while I was reading video game magazines on my bed, lol.
I used to connect the SNES audio to my stereo and listen to the Castlevania IV music test with headphones.

Top Bottom