• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

ys45

I used to connect the SNES audio to my stereo and listen to the Castlevania IV music test with headphones.

Good to see i was not the only one doing this :)

I did this with a lot of games, music from Mega Man x is so good i used to listen to it in the options menu .

I also used to load the PC Engine Ys Book 1 & 2 cd into the PS1 (it was detecting it as a music cd and could play all tracks) and listen to it.

The music quality of SNES really kick ass

Texas is so dead right now, I can't find ANYTHING worth my time. Craigslist and Ebay are my only options, unless Traders Village can scrounge up something good.

Hope you luck out with Goodwill auctions. If you have any indy thrift stores, check those out too. Craigslist is largely dead here in Denver because everyone is asking for ebay prices on Craigslist of all places, lol.

Goodwill auctions are no secret, and I often see them selling stuff for MORE than eBay, which baffles me, because shopgoodwill rarely guarantees anything other than "what you see in the picture is the item we're sending".

I agree Texas, San Antonio is crap. I'm glad I got my fill when I did in the early 00's when EB/Gamestop was clearing out on stuff. This is how I got 2 copies of Hagane and 2 copies of Wild Guns for stupidly cheap. I wish I hadn't forgotten to get Pocky and Rocky. :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
What's the best way to play fan translations (applied to your own games) on your SNES/SFC? Retrode seems like a good way to get the games from the cartridge, but what's the best way to get them on your console again? I don't really want to play them in an emulator.

Also, I finally got a CRT again today. Not a good one (a friend's family didn't need it anymore), but still anything's better than playing on an HD TV.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What's the best way to play fan translations (applied to your own games) on your SNES/SFC? Retrode seems like a good way to get the games from the cartridge, but what's the best way to get them on your console again? I don't really want to play them in an emulator.

Flashcart if you're a sane person.
Reprogrammed carts that you can buy from specialized shops if you're not.

You can buy an old copier and play it that way, but it's too expensive and too cubersome. A flashcart is much cheaper. You can find a couple that load directly from SD or CF Cards - they have a slot in them. On your computer, you put the roms on a SD Card (or CF card), put the card with the roms in the FlashCart slot and use it like any other game cartridge. On boot, it'll prompt you with a list of games and you can select which one you want to play from the console. I would pursue one of those. They would be anywhere from 100 to 180 bucks. I can't really provide any links on those, since it's been a while since I last looked them up.

Be aware of the older, Serial-based flashcarts. They have a limited amount of memory (64mbits-128mbits deppending on the model, which is enough for any one game on the system, but you'll get into problems with multiple games at the same time) and they require proprietary flasher hardware and software. I have an old Genesis FlashCart from ToToTek that can only be programmed through Parallel ports. Out of the 5 computers currently working in my apartment, only two have them, which is a bummer.

While we're at it, it's safe to say that you shouldn't buy anything from ToToTek: Last I checked, they only have old copier hardware (which is great if that's what you're looking for) and older Serial-based flashcarts.

Edit: It's also worth saying that most FlashCarts don't support the special chips that some SNes games require (DSP, SuperFX). I think DSP1 is supported by some of them, but to answer that properly it would require some research, which I don't really want to do... (because that would prepare me with everything I need to know to buy one, but I really can't do that right now.. :D)

IrishNinja

man ive seen some good CL postings from TX, miami's huge and its rare we get much of that, or decent swap shops.

of course, compared to retro shows in seattle we all kinda suck, heh

Flashcart if you're a sane person.
Reprogrammed carts that you can buy from specialized shops if you're not.

still bangin' that drum, eh drizzle <3

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I noticed the Mega Everdrive will also let you play Master System and 32X games (through a 32X of course)... As well as change the region of the Sega CD so you can play imports without re-burning... How cool is that??

I want one!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks. I looked around a bit, those things seem to be very expensive (at least the decent ones), so I guess that'll have to wait a while.

IrishNinja

forever! :D

That's not the only thing I replied him with, and I've been editing the message with a lot of information as I'm remembering. I'm not *that much* of a douche...

heh, i know...even if you were, you got one of the best avatars on GAF; i can't stay mad

Texas is so dead right now, I can't find ANYTHING worth my time. Craigslist and Ebay are my only options, unless Traders Village can scrounge up something good.
Yup. Texas has been raided bad. Well, Dallas area, at least.

We went to Trader's Village in March, pretty much dead for retro gaming unless you like N64, PS1 and Xbox.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really thankful I grabbed that copy of Metal Warriors last weekend. An auction ended at $251 last night. Why in the hell did this auction end over a hundred dollars higher than the last?

IrishNinja

I'm really thankful I grabbed that copy of Metal Warriors last weekend. An auction ended at $251 last night. Why in the hell did this auction end over a hundred dollars higher than the last?

we're in the bubble, man...if a game's not up for auction several times a week, you get people imagining they need to get the last decent copy before it hits 1k or something.
i've no doubt i paid too much on a few SNES titles myself, but i didn't go over $40 just to avoid this kinda thing. when you look at demand vs how many functioning carts are in rotation, it's ridiculous.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
we're in the bubble, man...if a game's not up for auction several times a week, you get people imagining they need to get the last decent copy before it hits 1k or something.
i've no doubt i paid too much on a few SNES titles myself, but i didn't go over $40 just to avoid this kinda thing. when you look at demand vs how many functioning carts are in rotation, it's ridiculous.
I've gone up to $100 for a couple, but yeah, I'm trying to keep most purchases under $40.

Linkhero1

Hit up the flea market and hope for ignorance is bliss!

I wish it was warm enough to...=(

I thought I would get lucky but they seem to know their shit now. A lot of the vendors who had something overpriced it worse than eBay. $50 for Contra III? $30 for Super Bomberman? I wish I could hit the jackpot :(

I thought I would get lucky but they seem to know their shit now. A lot of the vendors who had something overpriced it worse than eBay. $50 for Contra III? $30 for Super Bomberman? I wish I could hit the jackpot :(

If they know their stuff, why they be charging 30+ bucks for a freakin' copy of Super Mario World...=D

This may sound stupid or superstitious, but is there a best day to check out thrift stores? Like is there a common day they put out new inventory? Some of the thrift stores I check out sometimes are quite a drive and I want the best chance of there being something new there.

This may sound stupid or superstitious, but is there a best day to check out thrift stores? Like is there a common day they put out new inventory? Some of the thrift stores I check out sometimes are quite a drive and I want the best chance of there being something new there.

Weekdays. Weekends have the good deals but are super crowded. That's usually when I strike gold. Go on senior's day and bring a mature person to take advantage of discounts. I just bring my mum because she always is up to tag along to go to a thrift store or two.

*grumble* I'm tempted to start a PS1 collectors thread, because at least that shit's still affordable :-/

Start it up, more collector's threads are welcome!

Linkhero1

*grumble* I'm tempted to start a PS1 collectors thread, because at least that shit's still affordable :-/
Where's the fun in that? It's too easy to collect PS1 games here. I think all the Retro stores have a stack of PS1 games that range from the cheapest to some of the most expensive. I got Tales of Destiny II for $45

It's random and just plain luck. I would try Mondays since most people are off during the weekend and are more likely to sell their belongings.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Where's the fun in that? It's too easy to collect PS1 games here. I think all the Retro stores have a stack of PS1 games that range from the cheapest to some of the most expensive. I got Tales of Destiny II for $45

Hey man, give it a few years. Then I can laugh at all the peons as they scramble to get their busted ass copies of PS1 RPGs.

Edit: But I'm actually kinda thinking of making that thread, after I sober up. Or in the next several days. Cuz PS1 is kewl, too.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The prices at this con I was at last weekend were hysterical. $35 for a SFC version of Super Mario Kart. $80 for a copy of Seaman. $30 for Killer Instinct... Ugh. I got Super Double Dragon for $35 from someone who wanted way too much for everything else, but that was it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I got my DKC2 in:
3g775L4l.jpg

It's in pretty nice condition! I'll play it some a bit later tonight.

IrishNinja

$80 for Seaman? even with the mic that's ridiculous

i'm down! i went through my PS1 collecting stage a few years back, got most everything i was after except the Suikodens, tragically

man some stuff is tricky though! there's mad speculation, i mean even titles with literally millions in circulation like FF VII (even greatest hits) get RARE $50, it's crazy.

took me a bit to track down Incredible Crisis and Herc's Adventures for a decent price, this was like 2008 or 9 though

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It had the box, mic, etc. But two sealed copies just sold on eBay for $70, haha sooo...

Dreamcast stuff seems to be creeping up now. I'm glad I got almost everything I want on that, though a lot of stuff I still need is pretty spendy.

Linkhero1

i'm down! i went through my PS1 collecting stage a few years back, got most everything i was after except the Suikodens, tragically

man some stuff is tricky though! there's mad speculation, i mean even titles with literally millions in circulation like FF VII (even greatest hits) get RARE $50, it's crazy.

took me a bit to track down Incredible Crisis and Herc's Adventures for a decent price, this was like 2008 or 9 though
What? I thought FF VII crashed in price. I saw a green label go for $20 or so on eBay a few weeks ago.

FF VII took a major crater once it came out on PSN. Funny enough, you can still buy brand new copies of VIII and IX still, lol.

Now if I can only find a deal on Harvest Moon or Chrono Trigger...

Kainazzo

FF VII took a major crater once it came out on PSN. Funny enough, you can still buy brand new copies of VIII and IX still, lol.

Now if I can only find a deal on Harvest Moon or Chrono Trigger...

Wow, it did crater. I remember seeing unsealed black label copies going for $200 last I checked in 2005. Granted, that was ages ago, but I'm happy it didn't continue to skyrocket.

As for Harvest Moon, I think that's always been expensive. Even when I picked up Chrono Trigger for $20 in ~2000, I remember seeing that game for $60. Just for the cartridge!

Fox Mulder

Total luck.

goodwill has employees putting out carts of random stuff all day. Some goodwills send everything worth money to their auction site, some don't. I pass one everyday, so i just pop in after work and occasionally find some good things. A non chain hole in the wall thrift store may have less traffic, but also runs the risk of their stock being stale and picked through already.

I'm just going to hit up flea markets all summer.

So the Texas talk from earlier, how many are Houston and how many are Dallas (me)?

I would totally be down for a GAF trip to Trader's Village.

LostAnkh

Hope you luck out with Goodwill auctions. If you have any indy thrift stores, check those out too. Craigslist is largely dead here in Denver because everyone is asking for ebay prices on Craigslist of all places, lol.
I had come across a GREAT craigslist listing, but the person didn't respond. 3 NES, 2 SNES, 2 Genesis', a Game Gear, and a butt load of games for all of them. I just wanted to buy the stuff seperately! Would've made a lot of money if he/she sold separately.

So the Texas talk from earlier, how many are Houston and how many are Dallas (me)?

I just visited a electronics store called FoundIt Electronics, and they said that there's a DFW Retro Fest coming up on April 27th. That sound better? We can trade and buy games from the vendors there too! Lemme scan the ad and I'll edit this again...

I just visited a electronics store called FoundIt Electronics, and they said that there's a DFW Retro Fest coming up on April 27th. That sound better? We can trade and buy games from the vendors there too! Lemme scan the ad and I'll edit this again...
Found It Electronics is great!

I'm signed up for the Retro Fest and should be there.

Teknoman

Pfft... I still want Suikoden 2, Einhander, and actual physical copies of Suikoden 1, Breath of Fire III, IV, R-Type Delta, and Tomba.

IrishNinja

Spend on ebay, and you earn bucks. Sometimes if you take advantage of offers like using Buy it Later with Paypal, you can earn more.

...do you have to enroll in something for this? ive spent a king's ransom on ebay since the year started, i need details!

just about 10 years ago to the day i spent a year in forth worth/dallas area, but retro shit was still somewhat available at that point i guess

Pfft... I still want Suikoden 2, Einhander, and actual physical copies of Suikoden 1, Breath of Fire III, IV, R-Type Delta, and Tomba.

of those, ive got Einhander, maybe Tomba? BOF was never my thing, Suiko 1 i adore but best i saw years back was like close to $30 for a loose scratchy disc, 2 is always stupid-price and pisses me off cause i waited through months of delays for a day-1 copy and refuse to pay > $100 for it, im certain ill just trade for a good enough copy again one day

Teknoman

Speaking of which, I was in a Value Village a few days ago, and thought i'd scored Persona 2 Eternal Punishment in mint condition for 4 bucks. My brain almost did a backflip when I saw that price on such a clean looking case.

Of course the case was completely empty.

Top Bottom