• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Mitama

I can't speak to the input latency, but the problem titles that I've set RA up to run are pretty much unplayable; Hyper Dimension has audio artefacts, Marvellous runs like garbage as does Seiken Densetsu 3.

It's fun to tinker with, but it isn't a good enough alternative to get unsupported titles to run.

Ah yes, that's probably because Hyper Dimension and Marvelous use the SA-1 special chip. Seiken Densetsu 3 has sadly always been difficult to emulate.

Found this in the original NES hakchi FAQ, will this work for the SNES?

Q: How do I disable this weird epilepsy protection?

A: I think that it looks cool! But you can disable it. Just remove "--enable-armet" command line argument. Or you can disable it via the menu since version 2.09.

Lettuce

How many games do you have installed, and how many of them are in the same folder/page?

If you have more than 63 games in a page or folder, the system will give you a C8 error when you turn it off.

Yeah thats what is is then as i have 68.

So whats the difference between a page and folder then, im guess the folder is just that has a folder that you click on and then your bought to more games so how does page work?

Robin64

Found this in the original NES hakchi FAQ, will this work for the SNES?

Q: How do I disable this weird epilepsy protection?

A: I think that it looks cool! But you can disable it. Just remove "--enable-armet" command line argument. Or you can disable it via the menu since version 2.09.

Afraid not. --enable-armet is a NES Mini exclusive argument.

Red Devil

Well I restored the kernel and so everything was back to 0 with my NES Mini. Then I tried using and old version of hakchi... And it worked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bubumiao

Well I restored the kernel and so everything was back to 0 with my NES Mini. Then I tried using and old version of hakchi... And it worked. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
That's good for you. So you're not even using an SNES mini then? What's the earliest version of hackchi that allows SNES mini? 17?

LOUD915

How do I get a totally clean snes mini?

I have an original dump file.

I put that file in the Dump section and tried to restore it originally.

The problem I am having is that whenever I put the new firmware on the SNES, I get no sound.

It worked fine originally and when I tried installing retroarch, I lost the sound completely.

I completely deleted and reinstalled the hacking tool as well.

If I restore it from any dump file I have, it works fine.

When I load the firmware again, the sound goes out.

Any idea what happened?

If there a chance my snes mini just wont play sound with the hacked firmware?

ayob

Yep. Just patch the ROM first before adding it to hakchi.

i havent looked at the process yet but i plan on doing this sometime this week. From what im reading you can only have 63 games right? does that include the games it comes with? and if it does can i replace them with different ones?

Hey guys,

Anything I try to run in retroarch doesn't work, C7 error every time.

I'm wondering if I installed it correctly. Exactly what I did is downloaded retroarch from here.

I then unzipped it and dragged the SNES core only into Hakchi, and it seemingly successful installed itself (the total space avaiable in hakchi went from 300MB to 248.6MB)

Finally I am adding --retroarch to the command line of games I want to use it in, with a space prior to it.

Am I doing something wrong?

bubumiao

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if I installed it correctly. Exactly what I did is downloaded retroarch from here.

I then unzipped it and dragged the SNES core only into Hakchi, and it seemingly successful installed itself (the total space avaiable in hakchi went from 300MB to 248.6MB)

Finally I am adding --retroarch to the command line of games I want to use it in, with a space prior to it.

Make sure you aren't compressing those games.

Is it possible to run other console games on Snes classic?

Like Turbo Grafx or Sega CD?
Yes to both.

Hey guys,

I have the same issue on my NES mini. Can't get it to work. Oddly enough it works fine on the SNES.

Grassy

Hey guys,

That might be the problem. I just dragged the zip file into Hakchi2, it then gives you the option of selecting which cores you want to include. Try doing that.

i havent looked at the process yet but i plan on doing this sometime this week. From what im reading you can only have 63 games right? does that include the games it comes with? and if it does can i replace them with different ones?
No limit aside from actual space. You can include the 21 it comes with as well as any roms you want, or hide the original 21 of your choosing. There is only so many you can have before the smaller the smaller thumbnails run off the main menu of the snes classic. Otherwise you can create folders or make smaller thumbnails.

Shifty1897

Hey guys,

Did you put retroarch and the snes core into the user_mods folder and install both through the hakchi modules->install extra modules?

Asked this (admittedly very specific) question earlier but didn't get a response:

If I decide to add a duplicate version of one of the original games in order to add a patch, would I be able to transfer my save from the patched duplicate version to the original version?

For example, if I put 20 hours into the Ted Woolsey patch version of FFVI (after adding it as a second ROM) would I be able to use that save/save state in the version of the game built into the system?

Alright, so this is what I put on my system (including the included games, just for ease of listing) -
ActRaiser
Aerobiz Supersonic
Chrono Trigger
Civilization
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Dragon View
Drakkhen
Earthbound
Eye of the Beholder
F-Zero
Final Fantasy 2(4)
Final Fantasy 3(6)
Gemfire
Gradius III
Lord of the Rings
Kirby SuperStar
Kirby's Dream Course
Liberty or Death
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Mega Man X
NBA Jam T.E.
Nolan Ryan's Baseball
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
Robotrek
Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Side Pocket
SimCity
SimCity 2000
StarFox
StarFox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Metroid
Super Off Road
Super Punch-Out
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Top Gear
U.N. Squadron
Ultima: Runes of Virtue II
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Uniracers
Yoshi's Island

Also, translations of the following games (please let me know if it's not alright to mention and I'll delete) -
Bahamut Lagoon
Dragon Quest I & II
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Final Fantasy V
Radical Dreamers
Romancing SaGa 3
Tales of Phantasia
Treasure of the Rudras
Wizardry I+II+III

So (off the top of my head), 65 games and like 135MB / 190MB

Included like 2/3rds of the games that I have for SNES, plus the translations.
I know there are some random/odd ones on there, and there are a couple more that I'll probably do...

Thoughts / other suggestions / etc.

Asked this (admittedly very specific) question earlier but didn't get a response:

If I decide to add a duplicate version of one of the original games in order to add a patch, would I be able to transfer my save from the patched duplicate version to the original version?

For example, if I put 20 hours into the Ted Woolsey patch version of FFVI (after adding it as a second ROM) would I be able to use that save/save state in the version of the game built into the system?

Save state? No, those rely on games being identical. The sram saves should work but you'll need to manually switch them via ftp.

Footos22

Alright, so this is what I put on my system (including the included games, just for ease of listing) -
ActRaiser
Aerobiz Supersonic
Chrono Trigger
Civilization
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Dragon View
Drakkhen
Earthbound
Eye of the Beholder
F-Zero
Final Fantasy 2(4)
Final Fantasy 3(6)
Gemfire
Gradius III
Lord of the Rings
Kirby SuperStar
Kirby's Dream Course
Liberty or Death
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Mega Man X
NBA Jam T.E.
Nolan Ryan's Baseball
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
Robotrek
Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Side Pocket
SimCity
SimCity 2000
StarFox
StarFox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Metroid
Super Off Road
Super Punch-Out
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Top Gear
U.N. Squadron
Ultima: Runes of Virtue II
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Uniracers
Yoshi's Island

Also, translations of the following games (please let me know if it's not alright to mention and I'll delete) -
Bahamut Lagoon
Dragon Quest I & II
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Final Fantasy V
Radical Dreamers
Romancing SaGa 3
Tales of Phantasia
Treasure of the Rudras
Wizardry I+II+III

So (off the top of my head), 65 games and like 135MB / 190MB

Included like 2/3rds of the games that I have for SNES, plus the translations.
I know there are some random/odd ones on there, and there are a couple more that I'll probably do...

Thoughts / other suggestions / etc.

No Axelay?

For shame

How come there are so many NA SNES games without specific release dates online? Wikipedia shows the release month but not specific day, was some of this information just lost to time?

bubumiao

Is there a tutorial on how to do this? So sorry, I know how busy you are and really appreciate the help!
It's really easy, get an ips patching program called lunar or flips and you open it, then choose the ips patch then pick the rom you want to patch.
Is anything extra required to add NES games? Or can those be added as simply as the SNES games?
I'm not sure if you need retroarch on there to play NES games or not because before installing retroarch I didn't put any NES games on mine, but then I added some and retroarch as well and they worked. But I think you need retroarch.

Impotaku

Can you name your games with Japanese characters (hiragana/katakana)?

mMHOdSu.jpg

I did this to all my Japanese games in preparation of my super famicom turning up. I have no idea if there is a basic kanji set in the Japanese version but least the kana seems to all be in there in the hackchi extended font system.

Make sure you aren't compressing those games.

Yes to both.

I have the same issue on my NES mini. Can't get it to work. Oddly enough it works fine on the SNES.

That might be the problem. I just dragged the zip file into Hakchi2, it then gives you the option of selecting which cores you want to include. Try doing that.

Did you put retroarch and the snes core into the user_mods folder and install both through the hakchi modules->install extra modules?

Thanks for the help guys. I had installed the SNES core without installing Retroarch lol. Works great now!

No Axelay?

For shame

I've never gotten around to trying Axelay, I'm not too big on shooters so I always felt kind of fine with what I had. Is it significantly different from Gradius and R-Type.

No Axelay, Cybernator or Pilotwings. This is worse than a war crime.

I actually have Pilotwings (the cartridge, that is), but I didn't think to put it on there, I've always preferred the N64 version.

Soulfang

Neo Member
I did this to all my Japanese games in preparation of my super famicom turning up. I have no idea if there is a basic kanji set in the Japanese version but least the kana seems to all be in there in the hackchi extended font system.

The hakchi font has a couple of really basic kanji, but nowhere near a proper set. Maybe someone in the JP community will make an updated title.fnt at some point.

Durock

It's really easy, get an ips patching program called lunar or flips and you open it, then choose the ips patch then pick the rom you want to patch.

I'm not sure if you need retroarch on there to play NES games or not because before installing retroarch I didn't put any NES games on mine, but then I added some and retroarch as well and they worked. But I think you need retroarch.

Thank you for the information!

And also thank you Robin for all of this. This is really incredible. I can’t stop smiling having so much of my childhood all on this little machine. Love it!

Probably a dumb question, but to overwrite things such as box art/different files of a game, I just resync and everything is sorted out to whatever I have selected on hakchi? There's no deletion process I have to do, right?

ReyVGM

How come there are so many NA SNES games without specific release dates online? Wikipedia shows the release month but not specific day, was some of this information just lost to time?

Correct.

Unless you can get some vintage store records, the specific date of a game's release will be lost to time. Magazines didn't have always that info, and some more obscure games would just 'pop up' in a store without even an announcement.

ReyVGM

I've never gotten around to trying Axelay, I'm not too big on shooters so I always felt kind of fine with what I had. Is it significantly different from Gradius and R-Type.

It has one of the best shoot'em up soundtracks ever made for the SNES, that's for sure.

The game has levels that are overhead (like Life Force) with some nifty mode 7 effects, and there are sidescrolling levels (like Gradius). The game is pretty short (6 levels), but it's a great game really. The music really pumps you up and it has tons of action and big bosses.

bubumiao

Much appreciated!

Thank you for the information!
Happy to help. 😉
Correct.

Unless you can get some vintage store records, the specific date of a game's release will be lost to time. Magazines didn't have always that info, and some more obscure games would just 'pop up' in a store without even an announcement.
I imagine you can at least narrow a release date down to an approximate month by checking wikipedia.

I worked in a video game store in the first couple years of the SNES/Genesis gen and as I recall, there were seldom release dates - most new games just arrived with your shipment and went out on the wall, and very, very few were of interest to anyone before they arrived in the store. The only exceptions I can remember were Super Street Fighter II and Zelda A Link To The Past; we had line-ups out the door to buy those games on the day of their release...

Nairume

Banned
Well, I've already gone through with it, so I guess this is a little late, but the overheating/voltage issue was fixed as of 2.20, right?

Top Bottom