• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Robin64

I just tested this, and everything looks fantastic but there's something up with the colors/saturation. When running properly, the colors should look like this for the character select screen:

Yeah, the gamma is definitely higher than it should be, but I'll be honest, I didn't notice until a comparison. While playing, it looked okay.

But basically, 1610 isn't the proper Preset ID for Seiken Densetsu 3, but there might not even be one specifically for it. Whatever 1610 really is, Canoe is set to patch in a slight colour change for that game. So applying 1610 to Rudras or SD3 enables hi-res but gets that colour patch too.

Thread still happenin' :)

Does anyone have experience getting MSX games running on their Mini, or just MSX emulation in general? I installed fmsx and the bios and I'm able to get Metal Gear and Vampire Killer running just fine. I think those are easy to do because they're cartridge based games.

I want to get Snatcher and SD Snatcher running, though, which are disk based games. I made an archive with all the DSK files, and added that to hakchi. But when selecting the game in the Mini, it just boots the bios and doesn't know what to load.

Has anyone gotten DSK msx games running on their Mini? Most of the instructions and youtube videos I've seen are just running cartridge games.
I'm yet to try those. But you can try converting DSK to ROM using: dsk2rom http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~vincentd/

ParityBit

Ask away sir.

Well I am looking to make a minimalist type UI. I am currently working to remove the menu bar at the top and also move the icon bar lower. I am sure it is defined in the JSON someplace, but I have had no success tracking it down.

Since I plan on doing custom borders, I will have no need for that menu really.

SOLDIER

Yeah, the gamma is definitely higher than it should be, but I'll be honest, I didn't notice until a comparison. While playing, it looked okay.

But basically, 1610 isn't the proper Preset ID for Seiken Densetsu 3, but there might not even be one specifically for it. Whatever 1610 really is, Canoe is set to patch in a slight colour change for that game. So applying 1610 to Rudras or SD3 enables hi-res but gets that colour patch too.

So the preset will make Rudras playable with the hi-res text, too?

As far as I can tell, the increased gamma only affects the main menu, so it’s a more than acceptable trade-off. The only other possible bug I see is the customizable text window; for some reason whenever I’m in certain areas, the text box will change from a lighter hue to a darker one.

Beyond that, anyone still making custom borders and/or boxart? After playing around with a few, I think I like the look of Switch-style icons without text best. If there are any updated collections out there I’d love to know about it.

dyreschlock

I'm yet to try those. But you can try converting DSK to ROM using: dsk2rom http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~vincentd/

Ohhh! Thanks for that.

I gave it a try with some of the DSKs I have, and they booted! But not without huge graphical problem. Plus, it did not accept controller input, even after going through retroarch to enable it.

So... one step closer.

Though, my inexperience with the MSX is putting me at a disadvantage. Cartridges are easy. Just plug in and play! But with disks, you need to boot from them, or something. Which, I guess, is what the dsk2rom does. Some require an extra sound cartridge, SCC+? I dunno.. I think I should figure out how to get these things emulating on PC first, then I'll have some frame of reference to know what I'm missing.

Oh so that would explain why I’ve noticed some strange pitch bends in some games... that’s one hell of a nasty glitch. I hope it’s patched soon!

Oswen

There seems to be an ActRaiser 2 fix for Canoe floating on Reddit, I may try that later.

Still mildly worried about 2.21c/d/e audio/slowdown issue, I wonder if it is related to the endless script problem which made the SNES mini overheat that plagued earlier version of hackchi 2.

It also seems to affect NES mini aswell (if modded with 2.21c/d/e), making high pitched sounds in various games.
I guess that NES minis should stick to 2.17 and just leave it at that.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon (without resorting to mods).

There seems to be an ActRaiser 2 fix for Canoe floating on Reddit, I may try that later.

Still mildly worried about 2.21c/d/e audio/slowdown issue, I wonder if it is related to the endless script problem which made the SNES mini overheat that plagued earlier version of hackchi 2.

It also seems to affect NES mini aswell (if modded with 2.21c/d/e), making high pitched sounds in various games.
I guess that NES minis should stick to 2.17 and just leave it at that.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon (without resorting to mods).

In general I feel like relevant information on how to fix stuff and getting some individual games to work by editing their IDs is getting scattered all over the place and hard to keep track of. Can’t we have a single place with all this documentation up to date so that people don’t have to waddle through countless pages of this topic to hopefully find individual fixes?

Robin64

In general I feel like relevant information on how to fix stuff and getting some individual games to work by editing their IDs is getting scattered all over the place and hard to keep track of. Can’t we have a single place with all this documentation up to date so that people don’t have to waddle through countless pages of this topic to hopefully find individual fixes?

Yes, I am compiling a "Specific Game Fixes" post.

(If Cluster just implemented the fixes properly we'd be fine, but...)

Santar

Haven't seen it posted here: Someone figured out how to get ActRaiser 2 to work on Canoe and someone else made a patch and posted it on Reddit.

Thanks for the heads up!
It's so great to see what people are able to get working on Canoe.
I just hope Cluster can fix that new nasty bug soon, I want to keep my hakchi mod free if at all possible.
The fact that the bug has been in there for quite a few releases is worrysome.

Docpan

How urgent is it for me to patch/fix my Hackchi 2.21e? I’m happy with the games currently on the system and I was planning on being “done” with modding. Now I come to find this may damage the system over time? Do I need to apply that HMOD or fix?

Also for future reference, to install a new version of hackchi in the future, what is the process?

ReyVGM

@Robin64

How do I edit that compatibility list? It's very minor, but I want to report this just in case.

I found a graphic glitch in Axelay that I would like to add. Using canoe, on level 2 and level 6 there's a long horizontal line that appears near the bottom on the screen. In level 2 it appears near the middle of the level, and in level 6 it appears near the end of the level.

Oswen

After ActRaiser 2 the same person is now posting fixes for Terranigma and Robotrek aswell on Reddit for Canoe.
Patches aren't perfect though, it seems like some sound issues still remain.

SOLDIER

After ActRaiser 2 the same person is now posting fixes for Terranigma and Robotrek aswell on Reddit for Canoe.

Dammit, I’m already four hours in Terranigma through Retroarch.

Don’t suppose it’s possible to move a Retroarch save state to canoe?

On the subject, did Terranigma ever get an improved fan translation? The original is fine but wonky with a few lines.

Good thing I postponed hacking my SNES. I see there are still bugs to be ironed out. I'll check it out in a few months once things have been figured out.

Oswen

Dammit, I'm already four hours in Terranigma through Retroarch.

Don't suppose it's possible to move a Retroarch save state to canoe?

On the subject, did Terranigma ever get an improved fan translation? The original is fine but wonky with a few lines.

I don't think you can but I wouldn't worry too much at this point, Terranigma may work with the patch but still has sound issues while using Canoe.
These fixes are still interesting though and could help with some other game in the "not working" list.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems you can actually convert the save state!

k91191

Dammit, I'm already four hours in Terranigma through Retroarch.

Don't suppose it's possible to move a Retroarch save state to canoe?

Yes, you can. It's pretty simple.

Calculate the SHA-1 of the Retroarch save and append it to the Retroarch save.
Rename it cartridge.sram and replace it with the Canoe save.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Good thing I postponed hacking my SNES. I see there are still bugs to be ironed out. I'll check it out in a few months once things have been figured out.

I hear 2.21b is stable and doesn't have the aforementioned issue? Trying to mod mine right now.

Palom

I was having some scratchy/warped sound issues with Terranigma at first, but I discovered it was caused by the NTSC patch. Seems that patch needs a headered ROM, so I added a header to my dump of the game, redid the NTSC patch, made the appropriate HEX edit for Canoe, removed the header, and the game seemed to be fine after that. Played through the intro and first tower and it sounded great to me. Maybe there are other issues I didn't notice.

Robin64

Gonna try the Terranigma fix, see what he figured out. Don't really fancy the 8x16 patch on there, though, it messes up the Yomi menus. So I hope he didn't rely on that being installed.

Edit: Impressed. Terranigma has audio! It's super buggy and keeps skipping bits of tracks and being off pitch, but it's very impressive!

SOLDIER

Gonna try the Terranigma fix, see what he figured out. Don't really fancy the 8x16 patch on there, though, it messes up the Yomi menus. So I hope he didn't rely on that being installed.

Edit: Impressed. Terranigma has audio! It's super buggy and keeps skipping bits of tracks and being off pitch, but it's very impressive!

Only played a couple minutes of the opening town, didn’t notice anything off. But I’ll bet whatever issues there are can be further patched.

In any event, how do I look up and alter the Retroarch save?

WhatNXt

I only noticed the Open Source note in the SNES Classic settings section today. Did you guys know Nintendo make all their altered source available?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/oss/

Pretty cool.. peeked inside the Switch file, and there's a load of browser supporting stuff - Netscape Portable Runtime, NSS, etc.

I knew kachikachi and canoe were linux builds of sorts, but it's cool to see what libraries they actually tinkered with and to see some of their test scripts.

In other news, Cluster has stated the latest glitch (sound etc) will be fixed soon:
https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/issues/921

Robin64

Edit: No, screw it, I'll keep this one updated too. All this internet drama has just split our communities in the worst possible way. Some are here, some are there, it's just a mess.

jholmes

While I don't want to tell anyone what to do, be aware this thread has moved home and followed most of the userbase to you-know-where.

I will not be deleting the OP, though. It just might get out-dated as new things are discovered.

:/

Feel free to let us know if it moves again. I was sticking around GAF in the vain hopes that stuff like this might not get rolled up in that admin disaster in waiting.

Top Bottom